Living Room Re-Arrangement needed
gailsharon45
Picture shows you looking down from stair landing into small (12X10) living room. I want to remove the large green sofa and put the small love seat shown at left into that space. The dining area is behind the green sofa. Lots of light comes into this space with windows on two sides. The front door entrance is just to the close left side of the pic. Question-- I want to put a mid-size brown leather chair where the beige love seat is now, and add a smaller brown level swivel chair on this side of where the love seat will be moved to. Also feel I need a larger rug-- maybe 8X10. What do you think? Wood cabinet at far end of room hides TV and houses stereo equipment. Want to keep this piece for now.
Thanks for all your help and suggestions,
Gail
the essentials inside
Hi gailsharon45. From the picture, the room looks too small to handle two chairs. But, that could just be the photo. Could you upload a couple more pictures from different angles?

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
0 Likes   March 12, 2013 at 3:13PM
Manon Floreat
I tend to agree with Lyvonne. I'm wondering if an apartment sized sofa and arm chair wouldn't be a better fit for this space. And, yes a larger rug.
1 Like   March 12, 2013 at 4:17PM
It looks like you'd be happier with apartment sized furniture in this tiny space. Why don't you get rid of the large sofa this weekend and begin to play with what you have in mind?
1 Like   March 12, 2013 at 4:27PM
MyCraftWork, LLC
Depending on your budget, I might have a good rug alternative for you.
Let me know if you need my assistance.
Tao B.
0 Likes   March 12, 2013 at 4:57PM
gailsharon45
Many thanks for all your comments. I've added a couple pictures. One shows the whole space-- which provides a dining area as well. The 2nd "party" photo shows the front window alcove (approx 7' X 2') which gives me a little more room for an armchair. I'd like to have seating for more than 3 people for friend & family gatherings.
I like the idea of removing the big sofa first-- also help with finding a good, reasonably-priced rug is desperately needed!
And, yes I need some covering for those windows by the dining table which now just have neutral-colored pull down shades. Lots to fix. I love the site.
Gail
1 Like   March 13, 2013 at 8:24AM
the essentials inside
Thanks for the additional pictures!

What about a set up something like the photo below:

If you are interested in a new dining set, you could get something w/comfier chairs that you could pull into the living room for parties.

You might also think about grouping your wonderful art (since alone they look a little small for the walls) & getting a new pendant light for the dining area.

Is that your only dining space or do you have a breakfast nook in the kitchen?

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
3 Likes   March 13, 2013 at 9:13PM
gailsharon45
Lyvonne,

I love the arrangement , and the colors, you suggest in the picture. Very simple and great use of this small space. Could I switch placement of chairs and sofa?
That's my only dining space. I want to keep my antique wooden table (it has 2 leaves), but could consider adding cushions to chairs (?) and/or finding new chairs that would look good with the table.
Thank you so much!
Gail
1 Like   March 14, 2013 at 9:03AM
the essentials inside
Hi Gail! The designer did do a fantastic job w/that room. I'm always so amazed at the talent of the designers who share their photos here. I love it!

I think you can switch the placement of the chairs & sofa. You could always live w/it one way & then switch to see what you like best, what feels less cramped.

I don't generally like the cushion look on chairs but you could certainly get some to use for parties/gatherings so people are comfy. Since you love your table, I would coordinate the style of the rest of the room w/it. Maybe "modern farmhouse-ish" (i believe that is the technical term ;). Is that what you are going for?

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
0 Likes   March 14, 2013 at 2:13PM
tennisanyone
I see the problem with the FLOW of the room and not the size of the furniture. The add't pictures helped. Can that sofa fit under the window so your back in not towards the dining room? I would then move that tall pice in the corner between the two windows. Is your TV int hat unit? Move the loveseat across from the couch. If you moved the couch, you would be able to move the dining table down a bit and center that piece in the DR too and remove that small picture too.
0 Likes   March 14, 2013 at 2:32PM
Manon Floreat
Wonderful example, Lyvonne!
1 Like   March 14, 2013 at 2:39PM
the essentials inside
Thanks Manon!
0 Likes   March 14, 2013 at 3:31PM
gailsharon45
Lyvonne,
"modern farmhouse-ish" sounds good to me! I haven't really followed styles, just added new pieces to pieces I've had for years. Moved into my current home which is small from a much larger home in the woods-- that's why I have that large green sofa in such a small house. This remodel may take some time as I replace a few pieces here and there to finally get things looking and feeling right.
Many, many thanks to all of you who've taken the time to comment,
Gail
0 Likes   March 14, 2013 at 7:46PM
the essentials inside
Taking time is a wonderful way to remodel. Then you can get pieces you really love and concentrate on timelessness. I'm sure you'll do a wonderful job.

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
1 Like   March 15, 2013 at 6:09PM
HELP W/ UNFINISHED LIVING ROOM! NEEDS RE-ARRANGING & FINISHING!
We moved into this town house about 5 months ago after...
I need help with furniture re-arrange for a game room!
I have a nice size game room. I had a couch on that...
i need a new re arrangement for the living room
i need help with my living room that we just moved...
I need help rearranging the living room!
This is obviously a very well used living room. I...
Need help with Rearranging small apartment living room
I live in a small 1b/1b apartment with very minimal...
Need help converting to study/library
This room is at the main entrance and is supposed to...
garage bonus room - blank slate. What to do?
I have a big room above the garage - 22x20 with 9...
EZ Reach upper corner dilemma - What would you do?
I'm doing Conestoga inset cabinets and have a small...
What color siding
I am having a hard time deciding on a color siding...