Need help for design ideas for our 900 sq ft boring great room
Jason Yeldell
Heres the situation. Have 900 sq ft great room built on as an addition. Although the wife and i inally fonished the room (it started as just a wooden frame), its jut downrite boring nd its jut become a large living room with a tv.... Really need some design ideas to make this space pop. I would love to have different seating areas and more to do in this room besides watch tv..... Since the pix below we added cherry hardwood flooring.
Jason Yeldell
Here is a more recent pic
March 12, 2013 at 10:25pm     
DeSigns By~~Di, LLC.
OMG, Love it!
March 12, 2013 at 10:42pm     
DeSigns By~~Di, LLC.
"The more recent pic,
Did you DIY?
March 12, 2013 at 10:45pm     
Dezign Studio Inc
Add a rug. can you upload more pics, for i think you can have a reading nook, with either 2 accent chairs, one recliner or a desk. Also can have a shelf if you have a wall for that. Curtains would look great.
March 12, 2013 at 10:53pm   
Jason Yeldell
Yes it was a partial diy. When we purchased house the addition was an unfinished frame... We love the size of the room but just bored with it becoming an oversized tv room... Seems like a waste but dnt kno where to begin to make it better
March 12, 2013 at 11:01pm   
Dezign Studio Inc
Sorry meant to say book shelves
March 12, 2013 at 11:06pm     
Jason Yeldell
The room is 30 by 30 and ceiling is 20ft in highest area. Here are a cpl other pics before we added the hardwood...We used the room for hosting a party during this pics hence the rental table and chairs.... Any ideas?
March 12, 2013 at 11:06pm   
Jason Yeldell
The reading nook idea is nice but how do i pull it off and have it match the scale of the room and not look out if place? I agree we desperately need drapes :)
March 12, 2013 at 11:09pm   
Dezign Studio Inc
I think , with these dimensions , you need to divide the room in more than 2 areas. Hmm! will work out something by tomorrow, until then i'm sure you will get many ideas. Think you have a designer / decorators dream space to work on, as normally we have to struggle with smaller spaces.
March 12, 2013 at 11:17pm     
Jason Yeldell
Thanks. Yes we really do have a blank canvas to work with. I would love to divide the room up to smaller areas and have multiple things going on at once somehow...im even open to adding structural elements to help pursue the division
March 12, 2013 at 11:24pm   
Kevin Retired Decorator
I would begin with the fireplace wall. The fireplace needs a mantel and a surround of tile or framing . I think a heavy wood mantel and brackets in a dark wood with a 8"-12" mosaic tile surround would really define the fire place. I would then remount the TV down closer to the mantel aprox 12"s above the mantel. Then about 1 foot in from each window I would paint the wall from floor to ceiling in a accent color Like a medium taupe. Add a simple 1x6 trim piece on the edge of the paint stained to match the mantel. Now you have a strong focal point. I would hang drape panels on all the lower windows on just the sides to soften and finish the window look. The fireplace window on either side I would just drape the to outsides one on the left of the window & one on the right of the window. flanking the fireplace. Then I would buy a large area rug 8'x10' to anchor the seating group. lets say navy, gold & cream Then you could do the drapes in gold. I would buy 2 large matching sofas in navy leather to flank the fireplace on either side then add 2 chairs in a gold stripe facing the fireplace. I would get 2 end tables with large lamps on them for the ends of the sofas nest to the fireplace. A large scale square coffee table with a glass top between the sofas. I would add a end table & lamp between the 2 chairs facing the fireplace. I would buy a large accent table in 48" round & 4 chairs to float behind the chairs for in front of the french doors to act as a game table. I would buy some more larger yet trees for groupings in the corners of the room. Add a console or dresser along a longest wall with buffet lamps & a large piece of art. Add more art to the room with your interest. A large mirror on a wall and a large clock 3' round on a wall. Use very large over scale accessories for table top decor. So I guess I can say you need a lot of furniture to make the big room really feel big and special. I'm taking a stab at this based on little info. The cherry floors tells me you like traditional style some what and the french doors are too. Hope this gives you some ideas to start. lol 900 sq feet is like a small home. Enjoy your grand room. Sincerely, Kevin
March 12, 2013 at 11:41pm     
Jason Yeldell
Kevin you are awesome.. I like your ideas.. Top notch.. I hav a weird question... When it comes to having two opposing dodas facing eachother ... Is that ever a concern for some folks that want to view the tv? I wholeheartedly like that look so i guess when u have that look u are making it clear that this is not a room for watching tv ( otherwise u will get a stiff neck).... Just thinking outloud...
March 13, 2013 at 12:08am     
Jason Yeldell
Dodas = sofas... Having problems typing.... Lol
March 13, 2013 at 12:09am     
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
Hi Jason, Marie here.
Sounds like you could use some real design help. Although Houzz is a great starting point, when your talking about investing another $15,000 to possibly $100,000 including finishes, furnishings, millwork, lighting etc. might be time to hire a professional to get the job done right and spend you money wisely?

Is there a local design firm you can contact to come out and talk to you about this project - because I highly recommend hiring someone to help you through this. You've already invested a lot putting in the addition, finish it right. There are so many questions to be asked before making grandiose statements and recommendations - like:
What are you needs for the space?
How often do you entertain in here, number of people you entertain?
How do you want the space to feel when its all done?
What is your budget?
Timeline?
Design expectations?
Is there any furnishings and/or treasured items that must be incorporated into the space?
What do the adjacent rooms look like, they should tie into the design for this room for flow and harmony
etc., etc., etc. Below are just a few photos of varying styles and types of vaulted large family rooms - you should start with finding that photograph of exactly what is YOUR dream room finished look, and what is your inspiration point for this room - should be a painting, or piece of fabric, something that has all the colours you want to incorporate into this room.

good luck to you, and do contact me if I can be of further assistance. Sorry, I'm rambling, but this is a large project and needs to be dealt with professionally.
March 13, 2013 at 12:35am     
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
sorry - here's the photographs
March 13, 2013 at 12:35am     
Kevin Retired Decorator
My plan was really only a start, it would have worked for 4 people to watch the TV . You could get a swivel on the TV to make it a few more. How many people do you want to see the TV at one time ? You could always go with a L shaped grouping using the 2 sofas like normally you would use a sofa & love seat Or a large sectional in stead of sofas. A couple of swivel chairs in the room. I think lowering the TV lower will make for less of a neck strain. There are a million different things you can do. I don't know what your budget is etc or colors you like. What your interests are? How large is your family ? If you love having large groups to watch TV let me know. What kind of career are you in. These are ?s I ask before working with a client normally. With more info I can help you more. I see at least 3 functions TV viewing, Reading / desk area and a game table at the minimum. A Bar & Pool table ! Again the options are endless. I just enjoy the casual chat about decor here !
March 13, 2013 at 12:37am     
Kevin Retired Decorator
@ Marie, My I'm impressed how you handle your self you have a special way with words & communication. There's a air about you !
March 13, 2013 at 1:56am     
kitasei
Why put the tv above the fireplace with all the better options available in this large space??
March 13, 2013 at 4:19am   
Jason Yeldell
Here is a very recent pic showing the floor color and diy tile work on fireplace
March 13, 2013 at 11:16am   
Jason Yeldell
Pic2
March 13, 2013 at 11:22am   
Kevin Retired Decorator
Your fireplace looks great! near to what I suggested. lol That's a coincidence. Is there a reason why you have the TV so high ? If you pulled it down you could add a shelf across the top of the post to add some decorative accessories up there to fill the void area between the windows and give a more cohesive feel. Then let me know about how many people you want to view the TV etc. & other ?s I asked. Then I can give you more help.
March 13, 2013 at 9:41pm     
Dezign Studio Inc
This could be one of the options for a layout of this space.
March 13, 2013 at 11:10pm   
DeSigns By~~Di, LLC.
What is your and your wife's favorite color?
March 14, 2013 at 3:22am     
DeSigns By~~Di, LLC.
Jason, I like to get a feel for what the Yeldell's design dreams might look like. If you would like see attached and send back to me.
March 14, 2013 at 4:10am     
Jason Yeldell
The primary reason for tv being high was due to location of studs/ header... But we r ok with the tv not being a focus for this room.
March 14, 2013 at 4:54am   
Jason Yeldell
Thx design studio inc.. Will look it over!
March 14, 2013 at 4:56am   
Jason Yeldell
We like a variety of colors like island blues, coral, orange
March 14, 2013 at 4:58am   
kitasei
Jason, the TV IS the central design focus. You've hung it up there like the high altar of a cathedral and trained every element in the room on it! Take it down,and put it on a low stand at eye level, away from the fireplace. If not,accept that what you're creating is a media room -- with a not very comfortable position for viewing.
March 14, 2013 at 5:23am   
Jason Yeldell
The TV may come down someday because we do not want the room to be a TV room. But outside of that for now, Let's act like the TV is not there and that it is some painting or a mirror. (Because on occasion that's pretty much what I do with it, display still photos, still artwork images etc...so yes i agree the tv shouldnt be a focus... So knowing that I'm looking for design and furniture ideas to make this room pop.
March 14, 2013 at 6:29am   
kitasei
In that case, I think your first decision should be where to place the television, as that will dictate decisions about at least some furniture placement.
March 14, 2013 at 6:39am   
Jason Yeldell
Thanks kiasei. What if we removed the tv completely from the scenario?
March 14, 2013 at 7:01am   
Jason Yeldell
Ultimately The basement will be the true media room so I am open to a complete reboot of the great room. If it helps, the two immediate rooms that lead to the great room are an office (from the open doorway space) and on the other side of the French doors we have an area that will be our formal dining area.
March 14, 2013 at 7:16am   
DeSigns By~~Di, LLC.
AWESOME, WE ALL LIKE A BLANK SPACE! The attachment is coming. I'd like to get a feel for what you like. And, REALLY AT THIS POINT, you are getting a lot of great comments and examples, but it will be time to select a DeSigner that will work with you and your wife on a more detailed plan.

I for one, would LOVE to assist you. I am looking forward with CONFIDENCE to the END RESULT, no matter who you choose. As, we are all in this because it is OUR PASSION TO TRANSFORM and to see and feel the enthusiasm of a well pleased, CLIENT.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm," said the very quotable Ralph Waldo Emerson

The examples and ideas are forthcoming before days end.

"Dare to Dream"......and DREAM BIG!!

~~Di
.
March 14, 2013 at 9:44am     
Jason Yeldell
Thanks. Eager to ser them
March 14, 2013 at 10:16am   
kitasei
So if there's to be no tv in this room, tell us what you would like to use it for. Is there something lacking in the rest of the house -- room to waltz, room to hold large gatherings, room to do creative, messy projects? Does it have more sun? The design will follow the function you assign it. Don't give it a redundant or unrealistic function (i.e., a game table if you don't actually sit down with a bunch of people and play board games). I'm wrestling with a similar problem with the very large vaulted space that's at the CENTER of my house. I woke up with an epiphany of sorts this morning. It's going to be a garden, a place to store bicycles and boats, along with comfortable seating in front of a fire. What turned my head around was when I started thinking of it like a Manhattan loft (in the old days at least). They were all about freedom - a rare commodity in ordinary apartments, and often lacking in suburban mcmansions.
March 14, 2013 at 10:53am     
Jason Yeldell
Ideally i want the great room to have multiple functions ( and thus have multiple forms to match).. I want to comfortable seat ~ 15 people at any given moment. I want distinct areas that still blend together cohesively in one room.. I imagine a space where 3 or 4 people can sit cozily by fireplace and chat, while elsewhere 5 or 6 people can have vigorous discussion while drinking tea. Elsewhere in the room 3 or 4 ppl might want to read to themselves or enjoythe outdoor view ( room gets lots of sun and there are french doors that open to backyard with inground pool and beyond the pool is a retenion pond.. Which unexpectedly gives the yard a nice view).....else wherein the room 1 or 2 ppl mightbwant to spontaneously dance...

I hope thismall doesnt sound crazy but thats what i envision.
March 14, 2013 at 12:04pm   
kitasei
Here is one suggestion: incorporate a variety of seating types, so you avoid looking like a hotel lobby. For example, you might have a hanging basket or hammock, a high perch somewhere else, and lots of low seating. (sink-in sofas and chairs, ottomans), etc.
March 14, 2013 at 1:25pm   
DeSigns By~~Di, LLC.
Well, Jason I've given it my all. I've provided some potential design ideas for you and your wife to pour over. Actually, until I get to know you both, that's when you would actually bring in the more details of your personalities into the rooms as well. When you check out my site you will notice that I AM a FREELANCE DECORATOR-but, no "rookie at all", with that comes considerable decrease in PROJECT DESIGN COSTS - BECAUSE I AM DOING WHAT I LOVE AND WHAT OTHERS KNOW I CAN DO, highly recommended. It's up to you now.

P.S. I do come with references and I AM LOOKING FOR THE "BIG BREAK" .....
SO, YOU CHOOSE AND I'LL MAKE IT HAPPEN.

~~The Best of All That Life Can Bring

~~Di
March 14, 2013 at 5:22pm   
Jason Yeldell
Hi DeSigns. I do not see the images
March 14, 2013 at 5:52pm   
DeSigns By~~Di, LLC.
Sorry, 4 power point files should be coming to with this post.
March 14, 2013 at 6:56pm   
DeSigns By~~Di, LLC.
If you don't get them, email me and I'll try sending them that way. (that way your not posting your individual email address directly on this site. ~~Di
March 14, 2013 at 6:58pm   
DeSigns By~~Di, LLC.
Even though I attach the images, perhaps it doesn't like power point presentations?
March 14, 2013 at 7:00pm   
Jason Yeldell
I sent you a message via your website contact form.
March 14, 2013 at 7:36pm   
Need help with 900 sq ft apartment
Good morning..I am looking to furnish my apartment....
Need help with 520sq ft studio apt design/renovation
I am renovating an apartment I used to rent out and...
Need help designing a 2700 sq ft single level coastal property.
The property is sea facing and is located in South...
Need help for office space 400 sq ft training room
I just leased my first office and I don't know where...
Laundry Room Paint Disaster!
Just for your entertainment. So, I am getting antsy...
Styling....is not my thing!
I have so much going on that it's a mess (I tried my...
Redo Family Room
Need help with paint colors, accent colors and arrangement!...
Let's play in my LR!
OK, so we moved into this much smaller place over a...
Color for door hardware
We are replacing the exterior door on our early '60's...