Need help with my dining room and living room sectional.
naoumoff
We have just moved into our dream home and need some help in the dining room. We don't have the budget to replace our dining table and chairs right now, so I'm looking for ideas to make them fit the new house style better. It's pretty modern and very open. I love how the kitchen and stairs came out, so need to incorporate the dining room into this for now.

Should I paint or restain the table and chairs? Once I figure that out I'll recover the seats. We like our buffet at the end of the dining room, we just need to hang the mirror above it and clear out the clutter. I'm not sure if I should paint or wallpaper the end wall or all the walls? We're trying to keep the walls fairly neutral since all the rooms connect, but we are up for an accent wall here and there.

As for the sectional, I'd like to cover it in a soft, well-wearing (we have 3 young kids) gray, but I keep flip-flopping between dark charcoal gray or a lighter medium gray. I'd like it to be casual, but sharp.

We are having my sisters wedding here in 1 month so I'm anxious to get all this pulled together quickly. My upholsterer has me on her schedule, I just need to get the fabrics in the next couple weeks to be ready for her.

New house constructions, moving, 3 kids' busy schedules, getting ready for my sister's wedding... it's safe to say I'm officially freaking out and spinning in circles! ;)
naoumoff
Here is the sectional and a chair that needs to be recovered.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 7:58AM
Nancy Hehmann
Beautiful home! It is so modern that I would consider painting your dining room furniture black. But you could even choose a color like turquoise depending on what artwork or photography you are going to use in the room. I thing a large canvas with photography would look sensational. It could e of a special place you've been or dream to go. Or even lovely white flowers.
6 Likes    Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 8:08AM
Nancy Hehmann
did you do anything more to your home? usually more people comment. Perhaps by my adding a comment, it will get the ball rolling.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 8:48AM
pearlmelba
Yes would love to see what you did or are doing its a fab place nice and open and have you had your wedding guests yet
    Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 9:31AM
I love your stairs! Reminds me of this
5 Likes    Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 9:37AM
colleen55
I would paint diningroom table a funky bright color or black if you're not brave.I would add bright pillows to couch both solids and prints.I would get a large rustic coffee table.I would not bother to recover chair.Shape is too traditional. Love your stairs!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 8:05PM
mmers
I have no brilliant ideas, but the home is GORGEOUS!
    Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 8:14PM
zzuoh20
nice
    Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 8:30PM
Studio Arterie
beautiful home!! congratulations to your taste. how about just covering the seats in dark brown and putting some artwork in the same tones?
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 12, 2013 at 1:43AM
mbamburak
I would look at a high gloss white for the furniture with a bright vibrant pop of color for the fabric (maybe a big flower print) and then pick up those colors in art for the wall and rug. There is so much wonderful light I would play on that and allow it to bounce off of the white furniture and bright colors.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 12, 2013 at 12:35PM
I too think painting the table and chairs in a high gloss white. I would also cover the chair seats in a Sunbrella white. Any chance you could get the rug in a larger size?
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 12, 2013 at 12:54PM
skmom
If it were me, I'd stain the table and chairs a nice dark color that blends with your lovely staircase and add a splash of color on the seat cushions.
You could go either way with the greys on your sofa and chair, they have nice lines. :) how about the sofa one grey and the chair the other? I think the darker colors are more child friendly and that's what I'd likely do the large sectional in. Unless, of course, you have pets that shed light colored hair, then I'd go with whatever will show the least.
Personally, with all you have going on, I would wait to paint any accent walls. It still looks dramatic and impressive without any accent walls, and you might be happier living there awhile before you commit to a dramatic accent wall.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 3:13PM
Oellien Design, Inc.
Great looking new home. Scale is really important to the dining room. I think I would consider staining/painting the base of the table black and then I would order from a glass company a smoke or black glass or even a mirrored top that would extend the table by 12" on all sides. Loose the rug and allow the chairs to be accent. New upholstery fabric on the chairs would also give the chairs a greater appearance in the room. Regarding the upholstery fabric for the sectional I think a really deep rich color could be a great accent in the room. It looks like you already have an Eames lounge chair and I would look for another chair instead of covering the old. Find another classic chair. Great home and take you time to keep the balance and proportions right for the house. Have Fun.
4 Likes    Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 3:28PM
dramat1c
Wallpaper the dining room walls with something fabulous- like a strong graphic pattern, but only up to the lower half of the wall. Then I would paper the ceiling in the same or coordinating paper. If that is too much for you, you can just paper the two end walls. Definitely paint the dining set in a high gloss color, but black may be too harsh with the surrounding neutrals. I would pick a color from the wallpaper and do contrasting seat cushions. The house is beautiful! Hope this helps.
    Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 3:19AM
dramat1c
Also, do the sectional in a charcoal grey and the chair in a pattern (again, a bold graphic would look great) that has grey in it.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 3:22AM
linvana
With such large spaces, charcoal would be a sharper option for your sectional. High gloss black would be better option for dining chairs a s white would get lost amongst your shade of beige walls. Enjoy your hectic but fun weeks ahead.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 4:45AM
NEMM Design Group, Inc.
Hi, I love the house. To make decision-making an easy process:
- I would suggest that you follow the color palette of the staircase in your living room and pick the greige color of that stone wall for your sofa and the wood color for your living room furniture adding silver accessories. Otherwise go for the lighter gray.
- I would buy a brand new dining room set to match the modern casual chic feeling of the house, you may take a look at the Room&Board or Crate&Barrel catalogue for easy and fast inspiration
- I would use grasscloth wallpaper for one of the dining room walls Philippe Jeffries, Inc. has an amazing selection.
Best wishes...
7 Likes    Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 4:55AM
pivoines
Whow !!! absolutely beautiful house. The scale of your sectional is impressive and absolutely right for the house. I would go for the dark charcoal color and keep the tufted look, but I would loose the skirt. I would be tempted to try the dining room rug in the living room, I would also add two huge square coffee tables,and I would have at least 5 pillow size cushions in a wild fabric (Marimekko style) on it to perk it up .
For the wedding reception I would get huge square containers and fill them with orchids they run about $15. apiece at Costco and put them on the coffee tables . It would warm up the area.
As far as the dining room is concerned I would wait to see after you do window treatment, I kind of like the bare look in there, The buffet and mirror wall might need a little beefier look, so , maybe a dark charcoal color (like the new upholstery on the living room sofa ) would anchor that wall. Recover the dining chairs one of the wild color from the living room cushions. leaving the chairs as is for now, you can always change them later . For now I would dress up the table with a long tablecloth and put a long arrangement on it , you seem to have an assortment of silver pot , bowls etc... on the buffet, that could work very well on the table. have a great time at it, I envy you.
    Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 5:26AM
rllcth
craigslist a "new" sectional and chair. way cheaper than new upholstery if you're on a budget.
    Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 7:07AM
rllcth
ikea has a nice rug called malin blad. it's a turquoise color with some beige accents.two would cover the space for $60. the colors would go perfectly with your table and planters and brighten the room. buy a huge ribba frame ($30 i think) in white and have your kids go jackson pollock on the paper inside the frame (the white side) or go to the papersource and buy a sheet of their fine paper in a bold print to put in the frame (usually about $6). hang in the middle above your buffet. put white and silver accent pieces on your buffet to blend your dark buffet with your light table and chairs. if you have the diy skills, i'd recover the chair pads as well. white isn't practical with kids but would look really nice. $100 until you have more money to buy a new dining table and chairs.
    Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 7:19AM
rosebud3
Gorgeous home. And you are right, the dining set looks really out of place in this home. I would paint the table chocolate brown and get beige covers for the chairs. The kind of covers that cover the entire chair. May be hard to find because of the shape of the backs, but if you sew or know someone who does...
    Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 7:20AM
rosebud3
this style would go with your modern house. You'd just need to find one with a rounded top to fit your chairs.
http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/dining-chair-covers-3d-max/508591
1 Like    Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 7:30AM
NEMM Design Group, Inc.
Here are also some planters ideas (I would not use the ones you have in the dining room, I would much prefer to place them in the entry way or outdoors), I strongly believe that silver, stainless steel accessories would add the chic design touch...
1 Like    Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 7:32AM
mazisoler
congratulations on your new home and may you have many happy & healthy days in it!
I would paint the legs and the frame of the table black, leave the chairs as they are till you have the time and money to search for the right material and change the upholstery of the seats to your choice of colour. and... have a marble top for the table preferably a light grey with dark grey veins: marmara marble, like in the old bistro table tops. also, your mirror leaning at the back looks great only if you hang it horizontal or to counter the size of the room: try to have a round mirror on the back wall as large as the size of the wall allows.
between the windows place kentia palms.
good luck with so many ideas, hope you will not regret asking :-)
    Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 8:21AM
ddj0195
Love the house! That dining room table would do wonderfully in the same shade of chocolate brown that was used on the staircase. Look around for a textured weave for the seats. If you could emulate that brick wall with fabric, I think you would have a showcase room. Might want to consider some paper shades for the windows, and maybe emphasize the moldings with that chocolate stain.
    Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 8:43AM
Diane Fouts Interior Design
I would paint or restain the dining table in a darker tone that would blend with the wood tones of the kitchen and stairway. The chairs could be high gloss white with a strong accent color (could be a pattern) on seats. The rug works in dining or in front of sectional. If keeping in dining, consider pattern scale when choosing chair seats. Don't need a contrast color paint on end wall. Sectional is a good scale for the room but should be re-done without the skirt in a deep rich tone. Love the charcoal idea. Recovering something that size is expensive however. Is it worth considering buying new? It's a great house and you are definitely on the right track.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 9:17AM
suzyfarley
agree on darker chocolate brown for table. Have you considered buying two separate sofas and putting in a few coffee tables with lamps? Sectional kind of takes over the room.
    Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 10:57AM
Oellien Design, Inc.
This room is so incredible it needs to be designed and not decorated. Your home is a complete designed statement now get the furnishings designed to be in balance with the architecture.
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 11:03AM
Terre Rushton
What did you end up doing naoumoff?
1 Like    Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 1:37PM
dallasgraduate
I think reupholstering a sofa is a smart way to go if you find fabric at a reasonable price. I had the same problem and went with a dark gray. To be honest I don't like your dining set. Your home says modern, but the chairs say traditional. A dark stain would make them look better. I would consider is selling them on craigslist and buying different ones. If you see ones you like on the site you could offer an even exchange with the seller. What are your thoughts on Eames shell chairs?
    Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 1:59PM
lysandra66
Hi nauimoff, i would restain your wooden furniture to a high gloss walnut. You will need to take your time doing it. This will then not only match the house but the rug that you have on the floors. The chair covers can be re upholstered a offwhite or beige colour. You soften the room by adding cheap soft chiffon coloured window drapes in a red tone to begining to add colour now. Paint those flower pots you have in the room. I would paint those different shades of natural earthy tones to match the room. So one beige, one a tan ect. OR different shades or the accent colour you have chosen ie paint one of them red. I would choose red as the accent colour for this room as walnut and red give a rich combination. The sectional chairs l am assuming are going into the kitchen space. I would use a combination of creams and yellows for fabric and cushions. This should get you by until you have time to really think about what you want without spending too much money. Happy decorating!!!
    Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 2:10PM
Eclipse Designs Inc. by Rhona Chartouni
You did a beautiful job on your remodeling and I love your house!

For the sectional, I would use a medium grey fabric and ask the upholsterer to crown the seat cushions for a fluffier look. I would lose the skirt. I would add accent pillows in a bright color. I would add either an oversized coffee table or 2 matching coffee tables. Artefacto has some very interesting options.

For the dining room I would suggest mirroring the entire back wall with antiqued mirror, can be done in tiles or panels or wall-papering with a textured paper. Maya Romanoff has some very interesting options. Another option would be grasscloth, Romo has some interesting patterned grass cloth wall coverings.

As for the dining table, I agree with Pivoine about the tablecloth option, a floor to tabletop tailored table cloth in linen would add a cozy touch. For the chairs, I would probably have them stained in a medium grey with a touch of silver leaf. and the upholstery should coordinate with the table cloth or the accent pillows in the family room.

And lots of orchids as suggested above.

Good luck!
    Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 2:23PM
jin0812
I found this photo from Houzz here. Your house is extremely modern and finding room has a super modern light fixture, I think you can paint your chair with vibrant color like this picture. Red or even pink. Thank you for sharing your dream home.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 2:34PM
colleen55
I agree with jin.I think a bright color on chairs and table dark brown would be best.I would use a large bright print on chairs.Old century paint makes a dark gel stain that covers light stain with only a light sanding
1 Like    Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 4:43PM
silloway
Don't worry so much! The house stands on its own gorgeousness! Lots of great advice from Houzzers!
    Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 7:21PM
Melissa Elliott
Yes I too would be freaking out!

You mentioned your budget is tight in regards to purchasing new tables and chairs.
All you need to do is get your upholsterer to change the fabric on the dining chairs to something more graphic and up beat until you can afford to update. With three kids, time and money all an issue this seems to be the logical solution that will make such a difference.

Your sectional is gorgeous. Personally i would love to see it Upholstered in a cool mid grey. For the chair pick up an accent colour you love and will use in your space once you decorate. Otherwise go safe with white or charcoal and add your accent colours with cushions and vases.

All in all it looks like a beautiful home, slightly envious lol :)
1 Like    Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 10:20PM
Melissa Elliott
Oh and I forgot to mention, I wouldn't bother painting the wall your buffet and mirror will hide most of it anyway x
1 Like    Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 10:22PM
sclawson
I'm a lover of charcoal gray sofas as a great foundation for anything you want to do with a room. Change the look of it by changing the accessories. Charcoal gray on the sofa will be a great backdrop for them all. It won't show all the lint that black does, and it's more forgiving than light gray.
    Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 6:00AM
designbymarieashlin
Unbelievably gorgeous home! I think you need modern furniture. My suggestion for the table is completely different. My first suggestion is to sell it. It's nice the way it is and once you paint it.... well you compromise the original. You can pick up something more modern at Ikea to hold you over. But if you want to paint it, I would paint the table a high gloss dolphin grey and put a light blue tint glass top on the table. The chair I'd paint high gloss white with a high gloss dolphin grey on the insert. The cushions would be awesome in a modern pattern of white/grey. I'd put a large modern painting where the angels are.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 5:44PM
designbymarieashlin
Actually, I'd tile that large back wall in river stones of tans sprinkled with grey and white stone.
    Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 5:46PM
wkelser
When doing your sofa you might consider doing a custom slipcover that has the dark gray on one side and light gray on the reverse. This would give you the versatility of changing the look of the room by turning the slipcover and putting on new pillows. Different look for different seasons or events...
    Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 7:02AM
designbymarieashlin
My experience is that recovering your type of sofa never comes out right unless you go back to the furniture manufacturer or somewhere like Ethan Allan, Mortise.
    Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 8:24AM
naoumoff
You guys know how to spread the love! I am reading all your comments and appreciate all of them. I've recovered the sectional medium gray and it came out great. I didn't do much with the dining room except clean/organize it. Wedding was this past weekend so I've been REALLY busy. Now, I'm REALLY behind on work, but I wanted to post a few photos so you could see where I'm at.

I'm still looking for Dining Room ideas, although possibly just longer term plans that include new table and chairs. I saw a brass base glass table at a thrift store that I like the lines of, but I would put a different top on it so I could extend it when needed. Possibly even my current table's top???
1 Like    Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 8:39AM
naoumoff
I just got the sofa back last Friday, and ran out to buy some pillows to liven it up (didn't find much - but better than nothing for now). Everything else was furniture and decor that I already had in other rooms.
    Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 8:43AM
Eclipse Designs Inc. by Rhona Chartouni
The sofa looks amazing! and I love the rug. I think the brass dining table base works really well, and is quite unique and if you change the top to a larger 3/4" thick it will look really great.
    Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 9:14AM
suzyfarley
The grey color really helps make the sectional not look SO big - well done.
    Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 11:38AM
Dalia
a beautiful home, sometimes it takes time to decorate it the way you want....wicker furniture comes to mind...check out IKEA or Pier 1 or outlet stores for bargains. If possible, get rid of the area rug and go for something fun, like an off white shag...
if you must keep the dining table, go for drama, and replace the seats....or buy seat pads in the interim until after your sisters wedding. This also gives you time to think about your next plan of purchase...good luck
    Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 5:45PM
mugsy1703
I agree with many on the posts and would paint the dining set dark brown or black. Reupholstering is not cheap so I would seriously consider buying a new sofa or sectional and chair. Yours is pretty ugly ... :-)
    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 7:55PM
Nancy Hehmann
If you are having trouble finding decorator pillows you like, go to Etsy.com and input that in the search engine. Many shops on there sell pillows and you can easily contact the shop owners and discuss your wishes or order prior to placing it. Many of the shops are in the US. You can actually find so many unique items on Etsy. While you are there stop by my shop, nancyhehmann. It is photography. Thanks for posting the new pictures and I am glad you have gotten so many responses.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 4:31AM
vacox
Wow, beautiful home and great job! I'm glad you are getting lots of responses and suggestions!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 4:39AM
wkelser
One of my favorite places to check first for decorative items such as lamps, pillows, rugs, etc. is HomeGoods by TJMaxx. They usually have some lovely choices that I don't see elsewhere. By the way, love the sofa! Great choice to leave the legs exposed... it really updates the look of it! I really think the thrift store table has a lot of visual interest and, being an ardent re-purposer, I love the thought of using it in your lovely home! If you decide not to paint it you might look into chroming it at a metal fabricator. It would give it a whole new look!
    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 5:56AM
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
First thing I noticed are the lights...lighting is everything in a modern clean lined home like this and yours don't do anything for the much needed correct architecture for that home.

Look at lighting on Hammerton Lighting-look at the modern home they did did similar to yours: http://www.hammerton.com/case_studies_detail.htm?cId=11&pId=45
1 Like    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 6:08AM
brody1313
check out World Market tables......really good deals and looks......buy one of their rect. rustic tables and paint your chairs for now..............
    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 6:27AM
Need help with my living room, dining room and ledge below the ceiling
We just moved to a new house. The house is pretty...
jpzoch
Please help declutter/redeisgn my L Shaped Living Room/Dining Room!
Hi Everyone! We've been living in our house for a...
Tania Orenstein
Need help with placing a sectional in a living room with a fireplace
Hi everyone, I am in a bit of dilemma over how to arrange...
buddhiniw
Needing help with living room/dining room layout
Hello, I have recently moved into a new apartment...
Six Silver
Desperately need layout help for small space: living room/dining room
Need some ideas on how to layout the dining area and...
ellieny
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
toatsmcgoats
Kitchen Cabinets
Are there "rules" regarding knobs versus pulls for...
jenig
Need help with our enclosed front porch!
We just purchased this home and we have no ideas on...
Andrea Patacca
Help with empty space
Hello all! We have this empty space in our living room...
jdavid10
suggestions on wall colors/design
I would love ideas not only on colors but I hate this...
Jennifer Howe