higracykutty

please help me choose the pillow and decorate this area

blessed Joseph
7 years ago

Comments (37)

• Rusty Empire
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I would start by coming to terms with the fact that the rug and sofa are a total mismatch stylistically and color wise. (And what's with the big faux marble beams in the background anyway?) and more photos of the space will be necessary here as all you can see is one portion of the room. What is the purpose of the room? Is it a commercial space?

• sandradclark
    7 years ago

Maybe this is a photo of the two items together in the store??? If you go this way, choose some pillows with some of the blues in them to tie them together. Or better yet, choose a different rug. Sorry.

• kjoy1
    7 years ago

I like these pillows from Target. Good luck:)

• PRO
    CAHLIN DESIGN GROUP
    7 years ago

This room is in trouble!! Not a space I would want to spend time in. Think you need to wipe out and begin a new canvas. Great rug but not working at all with the sofa. I ditto Rusty Empire's comments! Good luck.

• emmarene9
    7 years ago

I think this is like the Jesus painted on black velvet thread. Only difference is that room could have been improved upon.

• blessed Joseph
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    This is my formal big room ,I have divided it into three areas ,there are 4 marble mural pillars in the middle of the room ,one area is sitting area ,one is dining area and one is where this circa and rug is,this is designed by an interior decorator and she was not able to finish the project
  • Peter Barnard
    7 years ago
    The whole room is huge and every element is oversized. Assuming you don't want to start over from scratch, I would say use the colors in the rug as your base and just go over the top. Over size art, geometric pillows using the rug colors, big brass floor lamps.... Make sure to bring in repeated shapes and colors to keep it from getting chaotic, but the room should read as "a bit much."
  • Monika
    7 years ago
    It was smart to divide this bis space in different zones. Now tread each zone as a separate area, as a conversation area, dining area and so on. Keep the colour scheme the same for the whole space, the kind of art work for the walls and accessories like cushions etc.
    The area rug is eye catching and somewhat distracting from other things in the room. Did you ever consider it for another area of the room? Dining area for example. Or would it fit between the columns and you could go with something subtle in the other areas? Or could you use the rug in another room of your house, if you want to?

I'm sure you can make it the way you like it. Sometimes a drawing in scale is very helpful, especially for the dimensions you have to deal with. Good Luck and have fun.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    My biggest problem is the rug. It is wrong size and shape. If you can't return it maybe you could get a round coffee table that would bring some calm to the space and tone down the stark difference between sofa design and rug. It is beautiful, but it is just not right in this space with this sofa arrangement. I would like a round rug in this space to anchor the space and room. If you can't return, perhaps you could explore having it made into round? Lots of needs for accessories, lighting and wall hangings. Items that can "soften" the overall look. I would wait on pillows until you have more important decisions made then get some help getting custom pillows done. Not sure more pillows are necessary if some great accessories help pull things together.
  • PRO
    Poovi Art
    7 years ago

A rug makes any living room look and feel inviting and you definitely want that.A large piece of Art can really bring in a wave of deftness to your room. It acts as a style to your room.

Here's some suggestion for your wall you might like......to know more about my Art work and collections please visit my shop on Etsy website -

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PooArtGallery

Any cool accessories could add a zing to your room.

• everdebz
    7 years ago

If rug stays there, a green with yes marble look, for fun.

Agate Magic Tan Dark Green, Marble Pattern Suede Pillow Cover, 16x0.5x16 · More Info
    Loom and Mill 21" x 21" Taupe Floral Decorative Pillow · More Info

• PRO
    Gailani Designs Inc.
    7 years ago

I agree with Rusty Empire's suggestions. I am finding few issues that need to be addressed, one the sofa is too large for the rug, also, the sofa has a definite yellow under tone and so are other finishes and colors of the room. I am not concerned about the sofa style like someone has suggested, it is the colors and the size of the rug. I like the patterns of the rug and colors but not for your space!

• PRO
    David Bridburg Recycled Artwork
    7 years ago

Hi Blessed,

You are in a great zip code from the looks of things.

I am an artist, I have a suggestion. Firstly I agree with your pillow dilemma, it is the heart of the problem.

I think either a solid plum or a solid burgundy color, but a shade lighter for either one. So you do not darken the room. Personally that is the risk I would take, but using samples you can be very exacting to find what will work well.

You have a lot of beautiful wall space, I hope you look into my art online. I think it might be worth your time. It is not a matter of price or originals(I work with museum quality prints and canvasses, but not originals as in original oil on canvas), I work with a novel new concept. My art is very contemporary. I offer many sizes that would benefit you.

My entire belief for art is that the work should accent a room. Also you want a personal touch in how you select art. That means the pieces need not match each other. Artwork goes beyond the choice of the couch or rug. Your home is very elegant, classical, much of my art encompasses those qualities, a contemporary use of past masters. If you do buy one of my works I would be very honored. You have quite the setting.

Cheers,

David Bridburg

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    Remove the black framed round clock. I don't understand this space. Why would a clock like this be in this space?
  • everdebz
    7 years ago

You could repeat angles of the rug. I searched houzz with 'mosaic' 'staned glass' ....?....

KESS Original "Marble Mosaic" Throw Pillow, 16" 16" · More Info

• PRO
    OasisDesign&Remodeling
    7 years ago
    I would like to know what is facing the sectional. As is, it's pretty problematic, however, do-able with an expert eye for scale & balance...depending. Rusty is 100% correct, but I think someone else said that now...go all the way over the top. And I think that's the answer. I see some pretty huge faux pas, but you only wanted pillow advice. I would not even think about that right now. You need an overall big picture plan to finish.
  • qutieqween
    7 years ago
    Okay I would try doing a mash up of all 3 spaces, thanks for the extra pictures bc it really helps....

1. Move the geometric rug to the dining room, to hide it under the entire dining set.
    2. Remove the leaves (if possible) from dining table bc it's too long.
    3. Put art on dining wall than has blues from rug and poss golden yellow hew from the round couch (which can also incorporate dining light fixtures- which are cute)

4. Next, place a much smaller (poss round) rug in front of that couch.
    5. A bluish cream color will keep with the space, minimal pattern or just solid
    6. Find a glass round center table the put nice tray and blue/taupe/golden cream accessories on top

7. You could even pull that small blue ottoman in the "tea room" and place near the couch
    8. Lastly, I know you didn't ask but those 4 great architectural chairs in your tea room are nice but overwhelming....
    - remove 2 (save for accents in bedrooms or somewhere else in house)
    - angle two more toward dining, put a moderate to large console with grand (non wood frame) mirror behind them above console.
    - on that console put some accessories (big plate, vase, box, orchids) that pull colors from that dining rug

Might be overkill, I'm not a designer...just trying to give ideas. By the way I love your round couch. And yes take down that clock. Buy a small tabletop clock so you can put on your future console. There are several options at Homegoods or Target.

Lastly, I love the round couch. And yes, take down the clock and put nice desktop clock onn
  • PRO
    David Bridburg Recycled Artwork
    7 years ago

Hi Blessed,

Just coming back to this thread. The first image of the couch leaves open a lot of space. Will you be using a coffee table to fill some of that space? etc.... I think a foot rest would be wrong in this living room setting. I would also consider a really great chair to close in the space slightly. Adding a seat for company.

Suggestion, a large coffee table just off center to the right as I face the top image of the couch and rug.

Cheers, Dave

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    I keep looking at these pictures and can't believe this is real! Is that a deer head I see on a wall up front! Really?!
  • Rusty Empire
    7 years ago

Oh yes it is. It reminds me of a questionable looking hotel I stayed at in London once. It was run by scary Eastern European mobster types - we stayed one night and got the hell outta there in the morning. Yup, very similar.

• susan2494
    7 years ago

Move the rug to dining area and get one for sofa that works.

• lynartist
    7 years ago
    Blessed, please find a new designer to help you with this room. There are to many things here to address and this is to large a space to try and fix on this forum! And when you do find one have them hire a different decorative artist to fix the columns. As a decorative artist myself for many years I can tell you with certainty that they should not look like that. They should be indistinguishable from the real thing. Good luck.
  • trying2finish
    7 years ago

You have a lovely home and I love the idea of separating the space into three zones. The sitting area is lovely! I had a similar sofa and it is difficult. I think a round rug would look best and perhaps pulling the blue from the sitting room into the living room. A great piece of art in the dining area could pull it all together. Perhaps you could also consider mongolian fur- soften the room and add a little texture.

• susan2494
    7 years ago

I think the chandeliers over table are not a good style or color. And I think they are hung too high.

• blessed Joseph
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Susan2494 thank you so much for the advice I love the rug and the pillows that you babe designed ,where can I find the exact pillows and rugs ?
    I have removed the clock and have a beautiful art next to dining area and also sitting area and also have accessorize she room with gold ,beige and teal ,looks beautiful now ,will post some pictures soon
    I will definitely go with your suggestions by the time I finish this project I will be a designer too
  • blessed Joseph
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I have moved the rug under the dining table and added some accessories
  • Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
    7 years ago

Yes, Susan is a babe!

youve done well, Blessed!

• janerama
    7 years ago

The rug under the dining table appears different than the one under the sectional! I guess I missed something! Going back to reread. Somethings not quite adding up on this thread because: thought it was suggested that the geometric rug was to go in dining room and Blessed said that she had moved it. ???

• Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
    7 years ago

Good choice, babe.

• gtcircus
    7 years ago
    The sofa goes with the travertine floors, but not the rug. The vibe of that rug is wrong with the room. You need a more elegant look for that big formal room, think Hollywood Regency instead of 1980''s geometric pattern. I realize you want a modern vibe, but this is not a cohesive look.
  • gtcircus
    7 years ago
    This is the style I'm trying to describe
  • gtcircus
    7 years ago
    Here is what I was talking about
  • PRO
    Live Good
    7 years ago

To bring out the blue in your rug, we have a few
    different blue pillows to choose from on the Live Good page.

[Live Good Organic Center Pleated Pillow Stone Blue[(https://www.houzz.com/products/organic-center-pleated-cotton-pillow-arctic-gray-prvw-vr~48298326)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

old post