Suggestions for getting pricing on replacement windows
cjsull171
I have a 20 year old house and a number of the original windows (mostly vinyl clad double hung) need replacement. I am looking to replace the entire window including the sill and frame (not just the inserts). I want to learn what is a reasonable price per unit to replace these windows but am finding that none of the brand name companies (Andersen, Marvin, Harvey, Pella etc) provide pricing on line. Is there a source that can tell me what is a reasonable price. The windows vary in size but are standard sized double hung widows.
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
You will need to look for a local remodeling professional. You can go to NAHB.org and there is a place to find a remodeler. Once you put in your location I think you can get a list. Call several and ask them about your project. No one is going to give pricing over the phone, but they will come out and look at your project and provide an initial estimate.
March 20, 2013 at 4:03pm   
Dullea and Associates Inc.
When looking at windows and comparing prices of different windows (companies) you need to make sure you are comparing apples to apples. For instance Anderson has two lines of vinyl clad as well as a composite window while Marvin has extruded aluminum clad windows. I think it is difficult to compare the two. Anderson owns a company, Eagle Window and Door, that has an aluminum clad window that is comparable to Marvin's window.

Now to get to your question. You have two directions in which you can go. One would be to contact a remodeling contractor as Deborah mentioned while the second is to do a little homework up front before contacting the remodeling contractor. If you do not opt for the second your contractor may to direct you toward window that you may not be happy with in the end.

Should you decide to go the second route you will need to begin by selecting a window manufacturer. Once you have decided which window you want to use I suggest that you contact a local window rep. and schedule an appointment for him/her to come out and look at what you have. The rep. can measure and come up with a window size(s) to fit each of your existing openings. This information will allow them to work up a quote for the cost of the windows. Material only.

After you have the window quote you can contact a local remodeling contractor. There are a number of things that will factor into the price of the overall window replacement: Window size, trim type/profile, quantity and size of windows, painting, etc.

For a 2850 window you should estimate approximately $700-$800 per window. This includes removal of the existing window and trim, the cost of the new window, installation of the new window and interior trim, caulk, paint and your contractors markup. This estimate is based on window install in the area in my area and therefore may vary.

If you plan to stay in your house for a long period of time I would suggest choosing a good quality extruded aluminum clad window with a wood interior. Make sure you also hire a good contractor to perform the work.

My clients seem to enjoy learning about windows. I wish you all the best.
March 20, 2013 at 5:24pm   
need help for a rug over saltillo tile
Leaning mid century modern. Sautillo tile floor, chocolate...
Any suggestions on how to update the most hideous fireplace on the pla
Moving to a rented apartment and this is the fire place...
need help with wood floors
Planning to refinish wood floors downstairs and planning...
color dilemma
Would paint color night train or tempest by Benjamin...