90 Degree Angle Fireplace Design
mponce17
We are remodeling our kitchen that faces the fireplace and decided to include the redesign of our 90 degree angle, two-sided fireplace. We removed the soffit along the adjacent wall, filled the wall inset over the fireplace, removed the tile, bench and mantle. The mantle took up so much floor and wall area, especially to the left of the fireplace and it was too dificult to decorate the right-angle design.

I need help with deciding whether to leave without a mantle, add a new style mantle or possibly use my old mantle as a crown at the height of where the inset was. Should I finish the fireplace facing with paint in the same color as the walls (Behr, Gobi Dessert) or make it pop? Tile?

The facing kitchen will have white chocolate glazed cabinets with a stone backsplash, and Kaffe island cabinets. Can't wait to read all the great ideas!
mpoulsom
wow, what a difference! I would use stacked stone all the way up to the ceiling on your corner fireplace with maybe a small shelf type mantel on both sides.
March 13, 2013 at 1:41pm     
mponce17
This is so exciting! I have never used this part of Houzz before. Thank you for your comment. Do you have any pictures to help me visualize the mantel you suggest?
March 13, 2013 at 1:44pm   
mpoulsom
]
okay maybe something in this color stone...or something a little darker with your chocolate color in it, but I think the texture alone of stacked stone on that corner would be enough. I don't think you have to do a big contrast piece with color. I would do a simple shelf type mantel...I say this without seeing your kitchen cabinets however. What does the other side of the room look like?
March 13, 2013 at 1:53pm     
mpoulsom
what is the color of your stone you will be using in the kitchen?...that may be your palette for your fireplace as well. p.s. I know the pic above does not show a mantel, but i think you will probably like having one in the long run.
March 13, 2013 at 1:55pm   
calikym
What about a wavy pattern all the way up with a texture tile?
March 13, 2013 at 1:56pm   
calikym
Here is a cool stone look
March 13, 2013 at 2:01pm   
mpoulsom
]

I'm thinking something very simple for the mantel like this....
March 13, 2013 at 2:02pm     
calikym
So many possibilities but what is your style? I like mpoulson simple idea but I really love the textured tiles. You can do wavy patterns or flowers or geometrics. I found this on houzz but there sre so many to choose from
March 13, 2013 at 2:06pm     
mponce17
I was also thinking of tiling only the surround of the hearth, slightly bumping out the box area. Similar to the metal surround on the attached image.
March 13, 2013 at 2:27pm     
mponce17
This is my backsplash tile. The cabinets go in tomorrow. I will post more pictures then. I love the stone idea. I think it goes more with my contemporary mediterranean style. The pattern designs may be too modern.
March 13, 2013 at 2:34pm     
calikym
I really like the simple stainless frame idea especially with your backsplash. That's going to be so slick looking.
March 13, 2013 at 2:49pm     
mpoulsom
your backsplash tile is lovely! can't wait to see more pics!
March 13, 2013 at 3:21pm     
mponce17
I'm thinking tile that imitates the look of these pics might work too???
March 13, 2013 at 5:43pm     
loly54
I LIKE THE BACKSPLASH & ALSO THE TWO PICTURES ABOVE
Here are two pictures I liked
March 13, 2013 at 6:02pm     
loly54
I found these ones too.
March 13, 2013 at 6:06pm     
loly54
What do you think of the olive green color above?
March 14, 2013 at 12:47pm   
mponce17
loly, thank you for your suggestions. The olive green color is a bit dark for the area. With daylight lighting it may look good, but I am concerned it will make the corner too dark and a bit dull.
March 14, 2013 at 3:30pm   
mponce17
The base and most upper cabinets are in! The kitchen wall has been painted a grayish green color (Sherwin Williams match of Valspar, Cliveden Gray Morning). I love the color in the kitchen but will need to choose a different color for the rest of the room. Attached pictures show the kitchen facing the fireplace, a cleaner shot of the fireplace as is, and another look of the backsplash.
The light changes so much in these rooms. Lighting presents a big challenge in selecting paint colors. This color looks mint green in the rest of the room.
March 14, 2013 at 3:49pm     
calikym
You aren't kidding about the paint changing colors in different lighting! Lol! Looks good so far. How exciting.
March 14, 2013 at 7:11pm   
mponce17
I love this backsplash so much, that now I am trying to find the right countertop to match. It is so difficult. Any suggestions?
March 14, 2013 at 7:15pm   
mponce17
Any ideas on countertop to match the stone backsplash? First picture posted earlier displays better colors.
March 14, 2013 at 7:27pm   
Debra Gunstanson
Travertine is great overstock has a great buy I would put mantle but I would trim and pop it out some this looks like so much fun to do " I'd put white travertine and always use color diff kinds u need to decorate with diff size vases have fun don't worry off to a good start
March 14, 2013 at 7:41pm     
mponce17
@debrakaygun -- I love your ideas. Please find me pictures to help me visualize. I so much need inspiration right now. Between kitchen remodel and fireplace, I'm stumped.
March 14, 2013 at 7:55pm   
mpoulsom
mponce...you are doing a great job! it looks beautiful!
March 14, 2013 at 8:02pm   
mponce17
It has been 7 long months since we started our Kitchen/Family Room remodel. The kitchen, floors, wall color are done! Now we are trying to finish the fireplace. We removed the mantle and have a cleaner more spacious look that we like. Looking at tiling with vertical rectangular design. Houzz designer's have been so helpful in seeing me through this project. I hope to get new ideas to keep me going.
October 6, 2013 at 7:54am   
KShoa
Looks great and clean. What do you plan to do with the empty walls?
October 6, 2013 at 2:54pm