Laundry nook in Kitchen
skay15
I have front load washer and dryer in a nook of my kitchen. Currently, the area has bi-fold doors, which worked well with the top loaders, but the open door doesn't allow easy access to the washer detergent compartment. I know I could switch the units to resolve this, but thought it may be easier to get a different kind of door. We're remodeling the kitchen now.
PH Interiors, LLC
If you are remodeling, can you accomodate pocket doors in that wall?
March 14, 2013 at 1:05pm   
Lizabeth
You could remove doors and place countertops over the units. Or do pocket doors or perhaps a sliding barn door system might work for you.
March 14, 2013 at 1:16pm   
skay15
I have attached a picture of the area. I cannot put in pocket doors, and we have already put a counter on the top of the units.
March 14, 2013 at 1:55pm   
Yarbro Home Improvement LLC
If the bifold works, can you reverse the bifold to fold the opposite way.
March 14, 2013 at 2:01pm   
Lizabeth
I have seen where folks hang a curtain rod underneath the countertop and then install cabinets above keeping it all open.

Or perhaps you want to hang a curtain at the top.

I did sliding bypass doors in a laundry off my kitchen cause I find bifolds annoying. It did mean that I had to lift laundry to top and then slide door but I got to use solid wood attractive doors.

You could also do triple track solid doors three 15 inch or 3 18 inch depending on space which will give you access to 2/3 of space but will still be sort of a hassle but you can still get to the left side of detergent area.
March 14, 2013 at 2:10pm   
tennisanyone
Is this area included in the remodeling of the kitchen? If so, then I would lower the machines and put a granite top or whatever you are using for the countertops over both machines and get new cabinets over the top to match your kitchen and add a bifold door to the bottom and use that area on the top of the machines to fold clothes and when company comes over, use as a serving piece in the kitchen. Double duty.
March 14, 2013 at 2:11pm   
Lizabeth
The issue is the that bifold door does not allow access to the compartment on the left to slide out and put in the laundry detergent. Even if mounted lower it still gets in the way.
March 14, 2013 at 2:21pm   
tennisanyone
Then it is simple, reverse the machines or use a curtain. I would still lower the machines if you are modeling , get new cabinets and have it serve double duty as a folding station and a serving area. It is a nice space so I would take advantage of all the possibilities instead of just thinking about the door if you are remodeling anyway.
March 14, 2013 at 2:34pm   
Yarbro Home Improvement LLC
Reversing the units may not be that simple. Crossing the water supplies and drain hose from the washer and the dryer vent crossing behind the washer. What a tangled mess!
March 14, 2013 at 2:48pm     
skay15
We're remodeling to sell, so we don't want to get too crazy. We built the drawer unit beneath the washer/dryer to use as pedestals. The pedestals that came with the machines were too wide for the space. It's also nice to have the washer/dryer up off the floor a foot for ease of use, and we used a pvc pipe for the dryer vent, it's hidden within the drawer unit.

We're leaning towards taking it all out when we replace the floor, switching the machines and using the existing bi-fold doors. It will be a pain, but I think that would reduce the problem with the doors. We tried stacking the units too, but I wasn't happy with the storage space. Thanks to everyone for your thoughts!
March 14, 2013 at 2:51pm   
Amy Stanley
Can you use curtain panels to close this off and tie it into window treatments in the room, slide them on a mounted rod?
March 14, 2013 at 2:54pm   
tennisanyone
So if you are selling, i would do what you think the buyer will like in your area and not get too crazy like you said.
March 14, 2013 at 5:17pm     
Lizabeth
Keep in mind that a new buyer won't know what is missing. You may miss the bifold doors but the bifold only serve to highlight how cramped the machines are in that space.

When you switch the machines the doors will be opposite and some buyers may notice that they are backwards.

I have shown many homes over the years and I never had buyers complain if the closet doors were removed and curtains hung.
March 14, 2013 at 6:59pm   
zindor
If you want to remove the bifolds, do you have room for standard closet doors that both open out from the center?
March 14, 2013 at 7:10pm   
Paint/lacquer match for Ikea high gloss grey.
I need to see if someone has matched the high gloss...
Share a snap of your shed!
Whether they are traditional, industrial, wacky or...
How do you style the room around this headboard?
My son is moving into his first apartment and asking...
What color of door with a chocolate brown house and cream trim.
I have a dark chocolate house with cream trim, fascia...
What is Australian style?
Australia: it's a big, brown island that has taken...