Redo my kitchen, on the cheap! Paint Cabinets? Stain them? Replace conuter?
mistybostonboxer
So this is my kitchen. I've always hated these cabinets. They are so cheap looking, IMO. I've never liked the color of them either. I also hate this tile counter. I'm hoping to move in the next year or so, so I don't want to spend a TON of money on the kitchen. This kitchen was remodeled in 2008, so it isn't even that old. The house is an 80k house, so def no granite or anything extravagant. So with that in mind..

1. I found something called NUVO Paint for cabinets. It's similar to the Rustoleum Paint kit. They have black or dark cocoa. They also have lighter colors, but I do not want white or anything light. Should I paint the cabinets, or would they look worse? Would staining them be better?

2. I also found something related to the cabinet paint called Giani Countertop Paint. A lot of people use it for counter tops - it is a 'granite look'. They do have photos of people using it on tile, but my issue is that it does not hide the grout lines - only fills them.. so they are still noticeable. Should I try the paint kit at $80, or just go with a cheap laminate type of counter top? Or should I just leave the counter top the way it is, and maybe do a backsplash of mosaic glass tiles and the cabinets?

Just so confused about what to do. I want a change - but I also want something that is at least decent for resale. Here are some pics..my kitchen still looks basically the same - I did ditch the table for a black Bistro Set and got a stainless steel microwave. It's also a darker tan now, but not real dark.

Thanks for any help :)
elklaker
Painting the cabinets a dark brown would work. Add some nice pulls and it will be fine.I don't think that your countertops are the problem. Your backsplash needs to be replaced. I would not spend a lot. You can find a lot of really cool tiles that are fairly inexpensive and do a unique (but not too taste-specific) pattern. Have fun.
1 Like   March 13, 2013 at 5:10PM
Ellsworth-Hallett Home Professionals
Paint the cabinets- that way they will no longer compete with your floors. I would definitely replace the counters with laminate- or since your kitchen is small sometimes suppliers have drop or even recently removed granite they will sell for the cost of cutting. Laminate is fine, then new backsplash.
1 Like   March 13, 2013 at 5:21PM
mistybostonboxer
Thank you. I was so scared to paint the cabinets, but I am starting to envision it now. Will def paint the cabinets dark brown and do a new backsplash.
0 Likes   March 13, 2013 at 5:33PM
mistybostonboxer
Should I paint that white trim pieces on the cabinetry brown? What kind of pulls would look better?
0 Likes   March 13, 2013 at 5:41PM
elklaker
Yes, paint the trim as well. Brushed satin pulls. Please post your "after" pictures. Good luck!
0 Likes   March 13, 2013 at 6:22PM
kcshenk
I think dark brown paint would look nice. If you want to take it farther, I have seen some nice kitchens done with IKEA cabinets for not a lot of money.
0 Likes   April 19, 2014 at 8:28PM
need help with my kitchen cabinets and redoing them
Can you redo oak cabinets a glazed cream color?
rebeccamalouf
Replacing kitchen cabinet doors on the cheap. I need advice on how to
I decided that rather than remodeling with new Kraft...
nmsh07
lcontinetti
I am painting my cabinets in kitchen which are stained currently
do I have to paint both sides of the doors?
Susan Davies
How can I improve this kitchen nook?
Ok design enthusiasts, what would you do with this...
kimberlysc
Kitchen
My granite extends past my cabinets. Where do I stop...
Lynn Mastromarino
Does Tuscan faux finish look dated?
We recently bought a house in Arizona that is very...
gail1979
Historic 1930 Spanish home I just bought....paint colors & windows?
I just purchased a Spanish style home in an historic...
arkiegrandma
Cabinets and shelves next to fireplace
Building a new house. One side of fireplace is cabinets...
304harbordesign