Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vivikenny

Are 2 seams behind a farm house sink standard practice?

vivikenny
11 years ago
I'm planning a 14' quartzite counterop with a 33" farm house sink placed in the middle. The fabricator told me that it is industry standard to use 2 seams behind the sink at each arc ( rounded edge of the back of the sink). Can anyone tell me how many seams they have behind their farmhouse sink? Thanks!

Comments (19)

• PRO
    Norm Walters Construction Inc.
    11 years ago
    Is the sink installed already?
  • vivikenny
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Sink is not installed yet. We are at the planning stage.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    If the cabinets and sink are level and flat I don't know how it would increase the chance of cracking after it is installed. It may be more difficult to install, three person install instead of two. Normally installation is to set the edge of the countertop on the front edge of the cabinet, and slide it in place. With this installation you would want set the back first so you don't slide it over the sink which will already be in place, and that would take more manpower.
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    11 years ago
    I agree with Twisted..as usual!
  • PRO
    User
    11 years ago
    Norm, you are correct in that this type of application would require more $$. I've done an undermount farmhouse sink in a seamless application on a couple occasions. The section of countertop has to be brought in with a piece of bracing clamped across the opening to prevent the skinny bit from snapping like a quartzite twig. Also, because there's no seam, you'll be paying for the bit that's been cut out as well. Make sure they make it into a nice cheese board for you
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Obviously there would be one seam, it's 14' long. I don't see the need for two.
  • PRO
    User
    11 years ago
    Sorry, I thought we were discussing the need for seams behind the sink. Depending on the material you're going to have a seam for longer lengths. But if this were a 108" run in Caesarstone you could get away without any seams.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I would like to be a fly on the wall for that install.
  • PRO
    User
    11 years ago
    Can't get you on the wall, but I can show you a picture of a Vetrazzo installation in an office I designed. 8' island top with a cutout for a lowered desk area. 1 piece.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I love Vetrazzo, well when someone is else paying for it. That was an easier install, no wall to contend with or sink to destroy, and it wasn't over 9' long.
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    11 years ago
    Ahh Norm..so practical. i agree that on a 14' run 1 center seam is possible...just expensive and well....centered. I like the seams to the sides of the sink...dunno why, just makes me feel all comfy and cozy inside....safe like.
  • Yesica Jure
    4 years ago

Where would the best place for the seam on a quartz top with a drop in farmhouse sink be?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

You don't want a drop in anything.

• Yesica Jure
    4 years ago

What? I don't want an undermount. I want a drop in.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Yesica:

The only drop-in apron sink I'm aware of is the Kohler 3942. It's a nice enough sink, but I can't imagine why anyone who had a choice wouldn't get the K-3943.

• Yesica Jure
    4 years ago

I'll look at those specific ones. I have been looking at images online and the ones I like are all over mount apron sinks. Might not be common but that is what I like personally.

• Yesica Jure
    4 years ago

This is the type of look I like

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

Yesica:

Kohler makes a cardboard template that sits on your countertop and tells you whether or not the sink will work with your cabinets. Maybe they'll send one if you ask.