New homeowners- need fireplace inspiration
juliajoMarch 13, 2013
We are so excited about the potential of our new house-now it's time to roll up our sleeves and get to work.

This room will be our family/tv room. We will eventually change the carpeting to hard wood flooring (we think).

We are going to paint the paneling and possibly the brick--just need ideas on colors. I tend to like neutral shades. Thanks for any ideas on paneling and brick painting and color schemes!
I think I'd remove the paneling and shelves and put a beefier mantel. Where will the tv go? I'd also paint the ceiling moulding the ceiling color as well. The bricks look nice. Will you be leaving the insert? That is pretty traditional looking so the brick works - with a proper mantel. Congrats on your new home! Spacious with lots of light! woohoo!
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 10:26PM
Kevin Retired Decorator
I would stain the brick with concrete stain it keeps the texture of the brick and doesn't look so much like paint. I would go a gray tone. It looks like the paneling is in good shape & quality so I would keep it because paneling is back in style.. But you could paint it a lighter shade of the brick. I would paint out the Brass with heat resistant paint on the fire place. Another idea. I would paint out the trim on the sky lights to match the ceiling. It's a beautiful room.
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 10:31PM
stellaralphs
If i had my own house and wasnt a 10 year old i would totally paint the bricks black
1 Like    Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 12:08AM
stellaralphs
I mean white
    Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 12:08AM
carolins
Congratulations on your new home. Nice and light and spacious looking.

I sort of like the wood panelling, sleek mid-century stylish kind of look. But the problem with the shelves is that one feels the need to put things on them and then it starts to get more of a
cluttered-out-of-date-help-how-to-decorate-my-shelves kind of look ;-)

I don't know what style you're looking for, but what if you 'pulled the fireplace up to the ceiling'. (I'm not English, so sometimes it's difficult to describe what I mean. Sorry for that.) You could do a modern stone cladding around the entire fireplace. It will make a difference from the current 'horizontal look' and give the illusion of more height.

Painting the ceiling light trims white and also the brown wood in the window would give a fresher, cleaner look too.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 2:05AM
carolins
Something like this I mean. Would that be something you like?

Living Room
Fireplaces
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 2:13AM
juliajo
What great ideas! Yes--would like to install a larger mantel and paint the wood trim. And building the brick up would look great--thought a longer term project.

Never thought about painting the brass--will definitely do that! Not sure about room placement yet--might post a pic from a different angle to get thoughts. Thank you for your advice!
    Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 4:54PM
Promethean Remodeling, LLC
Check out a couple of these fireplaces. Going with the same idea by having a mantle the entire length of the wall with built-ins for TV and stereo
1 Like    Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 5:20PM
With red brick, a classic look will be to do all the trim work and brick in a creamy warm white, but paint the paneling the wall shade. If you want to keep the wood trim and shelves, you could paint the fireplace and then just the walls. Of course there are tons of taupes, grays, tans, oatmeal shades out there. For a room this size, it would be good to organize the color story before you paint. Paint comes in so many shades, where fabrics and furnishings are not so forgiving. Do you have an inspiration piece of art for the room, or can you tell us what color your main furnishings are? You've got the gray carpeting to contend with for now, so having a plan so you don't build everything off what you plan to change is essential.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 5:39PM
calikym
What is the plan for your tv?
    Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 5:52PM
juliajo
We have very little furniture--so it's a clean slate in terms of choosing new items. I like the idea of picking furniture first, paint second. No TV plan--definitely don't want it about the fireplace.

The wall opposite the window is a big blank space. I thought about the TV there but I don't like looking in the window if a house and seeing the glow of the Tv--seems tacky to me. I also wanted to try to not have a TV in here and but it in the basement, but then I fear this room will go unused--how sad does that sound! Just reality.
    Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 9:03PM
carolins
I know that painting the brick was suggested, but - and that's just a personal note - I've not yet seen a really nice result of that. It always just looks as... well... as painted brick. And I always think that it takes the 'life' out of the brick.

And yes, furniture first is a good plan :-)
1 Like    Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 12:46AM
Kevin Retired Decorator
I think that painted brick can be nice at times, I do think if you carefully stain just the brick but not the grout it can look as if it was not painted at all. It can be more work but will look as if the brick was really the real thing un-touched. That to me makes a big difference. Also using concrete stain leaves the texture of the brick un changed. It's easy on the budget too. Depending on what your style is for furnishings will help you decide. If your going mid century modern you might not want to change a thing. If not I would re do the brick. You could use 3 different shades of a color tone to make it look like it was not painted. Or use a semi transparent stain that would show the various tones already in the brick already but change the over all color.
    Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 3:15PM
Promethean Remodeling, LLC
Here are a couple of pictures for consideration. One is a brick frieplace that we plastered over with grey cement, waited for it to set but not cure completely and then scaped off some of the cement to expose the brick to give it a worn, old world feel. The mantle shelf is covered with zinc coated tin. The exterior of the home was done using the same process but using white sand and white cement. I can't seem to find the pictures of the exterior, but the white is simply stunning.
The other two pictures is a before and after of a painted brick fireplace. 1: you will see the results of painting the brick and 2: you will see what we did to cover it up. We used a hone black sandstone and glued it to the brick, adding a mantle and sheetrocking over the top.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 5:43PM
Finally found living room inspiration. Just need furniture!
Hubby wants contemporary, I can't do it. We'll meet...
Wendy D
Non-creative, non-artistic homeowner needs vision for living room
Needing inspiration to make this space more inviting....
lizrx
Houzz inspiration gone wrong... $10,000 wrong.
We recently renovated our master bathroom, and I found...
liz8181
New homeowners!
I'm in need of some advice on filling the space in...
Megan Mooney
New homeowner - furniture color opinion?
Im a brand new homeowner and im unsure of what color/type...
Eric Siu
Need help on my small condo
Unfortunately the pieces you see have to stay...tried...
crystal
Would love to redo this fireplace
I do not love this grey stone fireplace that is the...
krajacich
Help finishing my dining room
Looking for suggestions on finishing touches in my...
mom2asillywilly
Lighting finishes, same or different
is it essential to have the same color lighting finishes...
juliemun01
Stain floor? Update kitchen.
I'm looking first to update my kitchen....new floor,...
Robert Hardin