Dining dilemma

rosemarytovarMarch 14, 2013
May not be much but it's my home. Please be courteous if you wish to comment. What kind of drapes would you recommend and I want to paint the trey ceilings. Navy blue inside each square to make the white pop. Is that a good idea? Also light recommendations?
rod builders llc
the rule on colors is dark is heavy and heavy is stronger then lite, With that being said the rule can be broken with taste, i would say that creating a contrast between the crown molding and ceiling would help show off all that nice molding you also have a nice palate for some color change on the wains coating in side the picture frames matching the ceiling and picture frames should give your room the snap you are looking for. you my look for drapes with the colors of blue you like and then have the ceiling paint tented to match.I would thank a light blue would work,
    Bookmark   Thanked by rosemarytovar    March 14, 2013 at 3:29AM
Hi there - I love the idea of navy blue in the panels, but just worry that it might make your ceiling feel top heavy and draw down the ceiling. Ironically the white grid will add to that heaviness rather than a if you had a complete navy blue ceiling - but I do believe the colour is too strong and heavy.
Hush Homes - Oakville Model Home · More Info

I would instead go for a lighter shade of the lovely colour you have for your side tables which is somewhat lighter and works less of a contrast with the white - it will give it some pop but it won't drown the room.
Master Bedroom · More Info

You could then add similar curtains with a white and teal pattern : floral, geometric or with a sheen of some sort
Tahitian Teal Silk Taffeta Curtain · More Info

The next image is a shower curtain, but the ombre look is a lovely one and would add height to your room
Threshold Ombré Shower Curtain, Blue · More Info

All the best with this lovely project
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosemarytovar    March 14, 2013 at 3:45AM
Peggy Corrigan
I love the peacock colour on the hutch's. I would cut that in half and put that on the ceiling..Navy would be too strong and I feel it would lower your ceiling. Love the peacock prints...(wish one were just a little different, rather than identical) a very nice feel to the room.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosemarytovar    March 14, 2013 at 3:49AM
olldroo
Rosemary, I hope no one is discourteous to you too, your room is absolutely delightful. Love those blue chests. I'm noting you have the blue chests, blue in the artwork, the peacock statue, a bowl, your floral chairs and your dinnerware so to do blue on the ceiling (definitely not navy), particularly just doing the trays, your room could end up looking quite bitty. Taking the eye up to the ceiling this way to me would add visual confusion to what you already have in the room.

The rich taffeta curtain ASV suggested would give elegance to the room, and continue the colour around the walls at the same eye level as your chests. Maybe you could add a pelmet or swags to the curtains, your syle of room would fit that look and I would leave the ceiling all white as it is.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosemarytovar    March 14, 2013 at 4:14AM
It's a lovely room. I would wait to decide about the ceiling until after the drapes are up because they will change the whole look of the room. I would love to see panels that pick up the lovely teal in the sideboards along with the beige and perhaps another color in the host chairs. Keep the design simple because the chairs are busy.

It looks like you have two identical paintings. I would remove one and replace it with something else the complements the first piece. It doesn't even have to be a single painting, but could be a grouping that is close to the same size. I would also lower the little shelf on the left wall, or remove it altogether.
    Bookmark   Thanked by rosemarytovar    March 14, 2013 at 4:18AM
brouije
I too love your chests colour but I am not too sure about navy on the ceiling. Maybe a softer colour would do the trick without being overwhelming. However, when I look t the lamps on the chests, I think it would look more balanced if they were on the far ends of the chests rather than where you have them.As for curtains, I'm in the same boat as you..befuddled.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by rosemarytovar    March 14, 2013 at 4:35AM
0825sam
For lighting I thought this might go with your decor but add a little something to the room

http://m.ballarddesigns.com/mt/www.ballarddesigns.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/orb-chandelier/210691?redirect=y&un_jtt_redirect
    Bookmark   Thanked by rosemarytovar    March 14, 2013 at 5:13AM
rosemarytovar
Thank you for your help! Can't wait to use your ideas
    Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 5:51AM
bevballew
I thought navy too dark also. Suggestions above are what I would recommend. Would move the lamps to the outer end of the chests. Would the peacocks looks nice on the dining table?
    Bookmark   Thanked by rosemarytovar    March 14, 2013 at 6:25AM
What's Inside Design Ltd.
Good morning Rosemary,

I agree with ASV Interiors and Peggy!
In my opinion I would keep the ceiling on the lighter side.
You'll be amazed how your coffered ceilings will pop with just the slightest tint of colour.

I do also think navy would be lovely in your space.
Maybe you could incorporate it in your linens or decorative items.

Have fun!
Caroline :)
    Bookmark   Thanked by rosemarytovar    March 14, 2013 at 6:36AM
A Crew of Two
This is the blue I would use- couldn't find the exact paint. Choose a fabric and have the paint store match it. Love the room.
Tailor Loveseat, Peacock · More Info
    Bookmark   Thanked by rosemarytovar    March 14, 2013 at 6:45AM
laursiedoone
What a lovely scheme. How about taking the wall colour up onto the ceiling? That would visually add height whilst adding definition to the mouldings. It's a gorgeous room so I would hang generous full drapes in slub silk, peacock blue or gold woth blue trim and I would make sure they do not go over the window but are hung on a high pole and to the side to make the room proportions feel generous. You would have to take down the small mirror to the side of the window for this.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by rosemarytovar    March 17, 2013 at 8:08AM
snyggt
Bring out the teal in the celing,and change out one of the peacocks for something else
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by rosemarytovar    March 17, 2013 at 8:15AM
yytcm
PLEASE DO NOT APOLOGIZE FOR YOUR HOUSE OR YOUR ROOM! You've done a great job so far and the room is lovely - just needs a few tweaks and you are looking here at HOUZZ for ideas. I'd definitely consider ASV Interiors' bedroom pic with the very pale blue ceiling. The navy ceiling is beautiful but it's in a larger room with a higher ceiling - think it would be too much in your dining room whereas the very pale sky blue would give a feeling of openness and dining outdoors. As far as other tweaking, I think there's no problem with the matching framies above the matching chests but send one of the matching peacocks back home (probably the one on the left as your have the peacock statue on the right) and put something else in the frame. I would definitely move the lamps to the other side of the chests as they are quite tall and right now, for me, they and the chandelier over the table interfere with one another (however, switching may interfere with the peacock statute which is also tall - you'd have to play with it). Like the mix of symmetry and asymmetry on the chest - doesn't and shouldn't be exactly the same on both. Agree that the shell on the side wall (and the pic on the other) should be lower. And I'd like to see a "tiny pop" of some other color you like - some little thing you have or find that you wouldn't have thought to put in the room that actually would work - maybe something "orange" or some other color you like - again "tiny pop". It's going to be even lovelier when you finish so hope you'll post pics when done.
    Bookmark   Thanked by rosemarytovar    March 17, 2013 at 9:14AM
PaintColorHelp.com Dallas
I like the suggestion to echo the color of your painted chests on a shimmery curtain. I would also move the buffet lamps to the outside corner of the chests (not the inside as currently placed). On the ceiling, why not metallic? A gold similar to that on the picture frames would be stunning. For best results, have it sprayed by a professional; they can use a hand-held cup gun. A couple of thoughts for lighting are attached. Both around $300 so not outrageous. Check Overstock for other ideas.
    Bookmark   Thanked by rosemarytovar    March 17, 2013 at 9:37AM
olldroo
Rosemary, have you finished your room yet? Love to see what you decided on.
    Bookmark   January 3, 2014 at 9:20PM
**Dining area Dilemma**
Two birds, one stone hopefully. First, lots of empty...
amg7
dining chair dilemma
i have a gorgeous dining table - i am thinking of buying...
Sarina Tariq
wood, wood everywhere-dining room dilemma
Hi! I would love some opinions on how to make my dining...
nouterbud
Dining Room Dilemma
I hired an a non professional to stain and re varnish...
Carole Gilling
Dining Room Dilemma 1: What to do with an Outdated China Cabinet
As my husband and I remodel our house that was remodeled...
Zac and Kayleigh
Help with wood floor color choice.
Living / dining area off of kitchen thru a doorway....
candeelyn
Serious case of "No Curb Appeal" need advice
This little house sits on a small lot with no front...
kbdefay
EXTERIOR HOUSE STYLE DILEMA
I am currently working on a house in a village, my...
Boris Koev
Painting basement bulkheads - wall or ceiling colour?
We've been in this house just over a year and I'm ready...
hmsmyth
need help in finding E King 4 poster bed for master bedroom
i'm looking for a four poster iron bed (eastern king)...
myramn
Sponsored Products
Cameron 5-piece Counter Round Wood Dining Set with Parson Stools
Overstock.com
Compamia ISP049-ORA Vita Resin Outdoor Dining Chair - Orange - Set of 2 Multicol
$158.99 | Hayneedle
Jania Fabric Upholstered Dining Chair
bryght.com
Chain Reaction Ava 6-Light Bronze Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Dover 2-Tier Scroll Chandelier by Kichler
$298.00 | Lumens
Retro Red 4-Bottle Tote
| Dot & Bo