Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mpoulsom

olld 3/14

mpoulsom
11 years ago
Ok, tomorrow is the big day to find out if we have a vacation olld dreamhouzz....should i highlight my hair tonight just in case the cameras come knocking on my door??

Comments (126)

• evierh
    11 years ago
    Nah, they moved from a nice house in Brooklyn, to be in "the suburbs"; Queens wouldn't have cut it (LOL).
  • handymam
    11 years ago
    Well yeah, Queens is hardly the suburbs. Every time I visit family on L.I., we wonder why anyone stays there, it feels like the city is moving further and further out into the suburbs. Lots of condominiums going up. I hardly recognize some areas any more. And the traffic...let's not even go there. Fuhgeddaboudit!
  • mpoulsom
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    well i have internet this second, but who knows for how long... ?
    i'm reading a lot of "yankee talk" ladies..... :)
    while sitting here in the south eating my gruel waiting on the prize patrol.
  • elcieg
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Put four tablespoonfuls of the best grits (oatmeal coarsely ground) into a pint of boiling water. Let it boil gently, and stir it often, till it becomes as thick as you wish it. Then strain it, and add to it while warm, butter, wine, nutmeg, or whatever is thought proper to flavor it. Salt to taste.

If you make a gruel of fine oatmeal, sift it, mix it first to a thick batter with a little cold water, and then put it into the saucepan of boiling water. Stir it all the time it is boiling, lifting the spoon gently up and down, and letting the gruel fall slowly back again into the pan.

I vote for wine as the first seasoning, followed by more wine.

mp…….

PS If "we" win, I will have to reupholster those two chairs. Did you streak your hair?
  • mpoulsom
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    not yet....just finished my grits. next on the to-do-list!
    i like those chairs judyg...what are you thinking? do you not like the pattern or the color or what?
  • mpoulsom
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    oh, and i DO have a bottle of wine that i bought weeks ago....maybe tomorrow night since i dont work saturday. :) and i'll need it after i screw it up somehow...probably end up looking like the bride of frankenstein or a skunk! That'll sure shock the HGTV peeps!
  • olldroo
    11 years ago
    Good grief - you lot have totally lost me this morning a geography lesson I can't follow and sweets I've never heard of so I can't even drool over.

I do know you can't house train a donkey!!!

Kutchie - thanks for the cedar idea but the wardrobes are only inexpensive pine ones we bought expecting the joeys to trash them. They surprisingly stood up to a lot of abuse but I will just toss them if necessary - I'm just not really in the mood to go looking for new ones. BH got up early this morning and sprayed them all with some orange oil stuff he had THEN left the doors open and stunk the whole house out and I now have a stinking headache!!!! Sitting here freezing with the fan on trying to get the smell out of my room at least. Definitely the Bloody Hopeless today!!!

Gotta get out of here for some fresh air, register my car and get some baking soda and hope it works on orange oil too.
  • olldroo
    11 years ago
    Ooops forgot - Astraea we were talking about the Carnival cruise ships the other day and I mentioned the Costa Concordia. I knew I had read something about them being linked. More drama in the news today for Carnival, they have 4,300 people to get out of St. Maartens. Anyway the article said that the Costa Concordia was owned by a subsiduary company of Carnival.

Actually that would be even more fun for the passengers - Princess Juliana airport is one of the 10 most dangerous in the world. The planes come in from the ocean and take off towards the mountains with not a lot of room to spare. Don't know if you have even seen videos of people getting a dose of jet blast when the planes take off, but here is one landing.

• mpoulsom
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    that is nuts!
  • olldcan
    11 years ago
    judyg, I have the tools, experience and can be your helper but do you really dislike the upholstery that much? I'll let you know right now that I cut, sew and staple a straighter line, pre wine. I have only stapled my finger twice in 25 years. 1" Brad straight up under my nail, oh ya...... it was worse coming out than it was going in.

MP that doesn't give you the authority to watch my share of the wine (somehow, I don't trust you with that LOL) oh gee, wouldn't be the first time I made a midnight run, to the liquor store hahaha, Hey have they shown up yet? put your outside lights on dammit, that pad has your name on it and put me down for 1 week in July please :)

Frig, just noticed there's more plants, in large pots, for me to move outside there. Warning, that porch looks like a perfect place for a pot of morning coffee and a smoke.
  • mpoulsom
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    oh it is perfect for that! and we'll have to stock up on the booze. liquor stores close at 7 and are not open on sundays here in the deep backwards south! :)
  • mpoulsom
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    ok the blonde in a box is eating into my brain as i write....45 minutes and i'll be blonder or more hookerish looking. i never know.
  • olldcan
    11 years ago
    OMG, well if u planned on having a nap at the beach, guess you were out of luck, that's cool but crazee:)
  • olldcan
    11 years ago
    Highlights.....arrg, I need to get a haircut and highlights .....again, as both are way overdue. My hairguy fell i'll and has just come back to the salon after being away since Aug. After a summer of lake life, sunny days and lots of boating my hair way awful. Most of my highlights just broke off. The pony tail holders may of well been scissors, hats fly off my head but I don't like short hair on me.
  • olldroo
    11 years ago
    Actually there is an outdoor bar nearby where you can sit and watch the planes all day - they do a roaring trade needless to say.

This is what the idiot do on take off - heaps of videos on YouTube

• mpoulsom
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    i think i would be scared....the airplanes coming that close

well i cut about 3 inches off my hair the other day, so it looks super healthy right now. now to damage it with chemicals!
  • olldcan
    11 years ago
    olldroo, What did he say, crazzee bastards? LOL the only thing that clip was missing was a hefty gal getting her sarong ripped off, with just her birthday suit on underneath hahaha, You Tube, K i'll have to check those out. Maybe I don't look so bad in a swimsuit afterall!!!!

MP, hookerish, ya right. must be hair night. I'm sitting here with a Joico k pak in my hair, must condition!!!!! so I probably look like a grease ball hahaha.
  • olldcan
    11 years ago
    you cut your own hair? One thing that I hate is a fresh haircut with no highlights. Seems I need to have some damage or any curl I might style into it, just won't stay unless I put a ton of crap into my hair, which I also don't like...... ya know darlin lol, I prefer to run my fingers through my hair!!!! and not to have them get stuck in something that looks stiff or like a friggen plastic helmet.
  • olldcan
    11 years ago
    So i must confess, we bought that huge gate at the auction a few weeks back and hubby s concerned about what me might do with it ,should we, for some strange reason not be able to use it for a gate at the lake.....really dude......... MP, should I show him the pic used with todays posting from you, or should I wait a bit......hehehehe. He should know better by now............usually I have a few different uses for anything I buy. I have an old metal headboard used as a trellis. We purchased a bamboo throw mat for the front door but I (shush don't tell) actually planned on wrapping it around the bright blue, 45 gallon drum, used to catch rain water, it worked beautifully to disguise that eyesore in the yard. K, need to go wash out the conditioner. How you coming along blondie, almost there?
  • mpoulsom
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    baby, i am blonde and beautiful now! ha! it worked out great. just rinsed it, conditioned, shampooed and dried! looks like i'm ready to go to da beach!
    olldcan, what a great idea for the bamboo mat! i have an ugly rain drum too! Mine's green, but i have wanted to cover it up somehow, but never thought about that. how simple and brilliant!
  • mpoulsom
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    i have my front porch light on....just in case. :)
    it's almost 11pm here right now, so when i wake up, i'll have to get ready fast. my phone will be by my ear all night. the bad thing is that i sleep like log! but Dali wakes me up before it gets light outside.
  • mpoulsom
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    where's boobi tonight?
  • olldcan
    11 years ago
    maybe she's having thursday night, hair night too...
    I forget your 2 hours ahead of me, 9:15p here now so your probably hitting the hay soon. I should too, I slept in this morning, didn't wake up till 3am, frig frack!!!!! This afternoon, I had a 3 hour nap so i'm totally screwed up now....lol.
    once i wrapped the mat around the barrel, I used 4 pieces of a natural twine, tied a different heights to secure it in place, You don't even see the twine around the barrel on a bamboo mat.
    Well, we have to rely on Dali then :) she's so darn cute, if she goes missing......I'm not answering the phone hehehehe....just sayin.......
  • olldcan
    11 years ago
    well, that's to for me, have to get my butt to bed. Nighty night everyone, talk to you tomorrow :)
  • trasgorshek
    11 years ago
    Roo,those videos are crazy but cool at the same time! I would love to see in person, that would be fun!
  • olldroo
    11 years ago
    We will sit in the beach bar together.

Getting there would be a worry, one of the 10 most dangerous airports to fly in and out of and the cruise ships break down there.
  • mpoulsom
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    i started 3/15....... we did not win....:(
  • elcieg
    11 years ago
    Thank heavens. I definitely would have had to reupholster those chairs. Or olldcan would. tee hee. I hated that fabric…could not be in the same room with it after I had my second drink. That is always the deciding factor for me with prints. Would it stay in focus or become part of the planet system? Those looked like decals on a cheap fabric. :>)
    Flower Burst Set of 12 Graphic Decals · More Info
  • olldroo
    11 years ago
    Hmmmm .............. I wonder if I would still be in the room after two drinks anyway.
  • lisalovesquilts
    11 years ago
    My little fella said it was good that there were no really tall people at that airport! I guess you know you are a pilot when you can land and take off from that airport!
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    That airport is R's dream vacation, and my nightmare!!!
  • olldroo
    11 years ago
    We had a TV documentary one time about the 10 most dangerous airports in the world. The worst is the Tenzing-Hillary Airport in Nepal and pilots have to have special training and certification to go there. I think there was something about St. Maartens, not just any pilot can fly in or out. LAX used to be on the list till they made some changes, but San Deigo still is - some idiot built a 4 storey carpark on the edge of the runway and right in the flightpath. It was a very interesting programme. There was another one in France - Courchevel - that pilots need special certification for, it has a hill in the middle of the runway. Looks more like a roller coaster ride.

Lisa there is an issue if any semi-trailers are passing when a plane lands as they are too tall and also tall trucks if they are empty run the risk of being blown away in the jetstream.
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    Roo, we had that same documentary here. R was in his glory! He loves everything airplanes and airports. Not me, thanks anyway, I'll take the train.
  • lisalovesquilts
    11 years ago
    Roo I believe I saw the same documentary or one very similar about those airports. The Tenzing-Hillary was terrifying and I like flying. Nice to see Tenzing's name first- who do you reckon got onto Everest first then?
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    Lisa, what is it about flying you like? I'm asking because I'm the opposite!
  • evierh
    11 years ago
    Love Roo's videos, although I think that's a might stupid place for beachgoers! Good way to go deaf, and the low frequency vibration is bad for the body.
  • joanbllt
    11 years ago
    olldroo - the wardrobes and smell try open dishes of vinegar - smoked up my house really well once and the vinegar helped immensely.
  • lisalovesquilts
    11 years ago
    Strangely enough Bobbi despite my vertigo I like flying because I feel safe. I don't feel as safe in a car because of all the other traffic! I adore looking out the windows and watching it all, clouds and landscapes moving right along. Because you're not able to get up and leave I like knowing I'm going to sit for a while, relax, listen to music or read and somebody is going to bring me food and drink and I don't have to clean up after! Also when I fly somewhere it's usually for fun, vacation or whatever so I'm on my way. What I would really love is to be a passenger on a fighter jet, just having the pilot doing all the manoeuvres, rolling, diving and if possible firing some missiles! An F-14 would be my first choice.
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    Lisa! OMG, that's everything I don't like about flying! How funny! I don't like the confinement, don't like looking out the windows, the food is usually narsty but I'm too queasy to eat anyway. An F-14 indeed! You and my hubby :))
  • olldroo
    11 years ago
    joanblt - welcome to our rantings and thanks for the hint. Can't believe I don't think of these things myself, I used to use vinegar a lot for paint fumes, when paints used to stink. I think I have been focussing more on washing the smell out.

BTW you smokers, if you smoke in the house, just leave a saucer of vinegar in the room overnight and all traces are gone.

Checked this morning and maybe BH's orange oil has worked and the smell of that seems to have gone too. At least I have a few options up my sleeve now if it doesn't.

I don't mind flying, as long as I have company. I am a bit claustrophobic, you will never get me in a lift, but what I hate most about the planes is the constant changes in engine noise. Maybe if I understood them better I might relax more. My biggest problem at the moment is getting to the airport - panic attacks galore. One thing I like about the new planes, I believe they have cameras so you can see where you are going on a screen. I can't sleep on anything moving, I have to watch where I am going.
  • olldroo
    11 years ago
    Lisa - definitely Hillary made the top first - after Tensing had done all the hard work - probably even cleared the path, removed a few boulders and dusted the snow off - oh and dug the hole so the flag would go in easy.
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    Roo, re flying, we were separated at birth, for sure!
  • olldroo
    11 years ago
    I've just got to get to LA.
  • olldroo
    11 years ago
    SOS Tras - can you come over here and see if you can help this lady with her lighting

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/can-you-really-get-good-light-from-sconces-with-shades-by-vanity-dsvw-vd~396391
  • evierh
    11 years ago
    Roo - speaking of "smokers" .. years ago at work, they were revamping an office with suspended ceiling tiles. It originally was an outer office for a secretary, and inner office for the boss .. who smoked cigars (we're talking 30+ years ago). When the partitian came down between the two offices, you should have seen the difference in the color of those absorbant ceiling tiles .. the ones in the boss's office were a dirty yellow-brown. I just thought .. "and God knows what his lungs look like!"
  • olldroo
    11 years ago
    Dirty yellow brown at a rough guess.
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    Hey, watch what you say about us smokers! In grade school my bus driver smoked a big fat cigar, on the bus! I looked forward to smelling that every morning and even now I love the smell.
  • evierh
    11 years ago
    Always liked pipes, but not cigars. I'm sure that if I smell one today, it would remind me of the people in my life who smoked. That was a different generation, now I'm rarely around people who smoke.
  • olldroo
    11 years ago
    I'm a reformed smoker - 6 years now - the worst kind!!!!
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    You go, roo!