CAN NOT make a decision about my Master Bath!
park1601
I already have MDF crown in my master bath. We are converting our acrylic tub/shower combo into a master shower. I really love the look of tile being run all the way up to the crown molding but I don't want my shower to look "contemporary" in a traditional home, NOR do I want a moisture problem in later years. Can I have tile up to my crown or do I need to stop short of the crown about 10"?
Ironwood Builders
Depends on the tile. A traditional looking tile will look fine going up to the crown. A more modern looking tile may not be a good idea to run all the way up. In addition, the tile and thinset thickness cannot run beyond the bottom of the crown. If it does, it will look like an afterthought....and trap the crown in.
March 14, 2013 at 8:04AM   
park1601
When you say "run beyond" do you mean the profile against the wall where the tile meets the crown?
March 14, 2013 at 8:23AM   
Riddle Construction and Design
Steam or moisture is not a good idea around any MDF as it can swell over time. You could use a product that looks like MDF called ultralite, which is more resistant to moisture, but you still take the chance that over time it will buckle. As a designer we do traditional homes all the time and I always run the tile up to the ceiling, stopping the crown at the outside vertical edge of the tile. I dont think it looks too contemporary at all. Assuming a standard ceiling height you could tile the ceiling of the shower enclosure and take your glass door up to the ceiling for a more complete look. Plus it also serves as a poor mans version of a steam shower and looks upscale.
March 14, 2013 at 10:18AM     
park1601
Oh... so you just take the crown out of the shower altogether. My ceiling is 9' -- is that too high?
March 14, 2013 at 10:44AM   
Ironwood Builders
I meant if the thickness of the tile from wall to outside of tile is greater than the thickness of the bottom edge of the crown it will look bad. You already have this crown in your bath, do you not? Is it swelling and in bad shape? And it currently runs through the tub shower area? If it looks good now...don't change it. Enclosing the shower with glass to the ceiling will require you to make the change. With budget in mind, i responded with the least expensive alternative. Glass to ceiling is more expensive, tearing out and re-working existing mouldings that are in service and performing well is more expensive, taking tile to ceiling is more expensive.
March 14, 2013 at 5:08PM     
Arc & Angle Home Builders, LLC
If you are going to leave the crown, you should probably stop the tile between 7-8 feet. That would look the best IMHO. If you are going for a 'bolder' look shower, you should remove the crown where the shower is, build 'curbs' going up the wall to the ceiling, then reinstall the crown dying into the curbs. The 'curbs' would be tiled. That being if your shower is like I am thinking it is.
March 14, 2013 at 6:09PM   
J. K. T. Construction
I wouldn't use crown in a bathroom do to so much moisture. You can but in time it will swell. My suggestion is to use a tile for crown. We put some tumbler marble on top of each other, we put a whole tile 4x4 then a three quarters tile then half a tile. But we put them at halfway of each other. Then you can run your tile all the way up and stop the crown of tile where it meets the tile of the shower.
March 14, 2013 at 6:52PM   
Cindy Quinton
J.K.T Construction, can you post a pic of the tile/crown you are explaining?
March 14, 2013 at 8:41PM   
park1601
will take pic & post soon -- thanks
March 15, 2013 at 5:04AM   
Removing adhesive film from range hood
In attached picture, you can see residual adhesive...
Bistro colors
Nutrition, health spa is opening a healthy type menu....
Need help mixing metal finishes in bathroom
I am having trouble choosing the right metal finishes...
What do you think?
What do you think of this Houston kitchen that we did...