Need help coordinating area rugs for my open concept living / dining room.
agonski
I have a large, open concept living / dining room, and I'm trying to pair two different area rugs - one for the living area and one for the dining area. Here is the rug I currently have in our living area (of note, this is an image from Overstock, not my actual room). Would welcome suggestions for something to coordinate for the dining area. Of note, my colors are gray/taupe/ivory with gold accents, and I have dark cherry hardwood floors throughout. THANK YOU!
Have you checked with Overstock for a mate to this one with the background gold and the lattice in grey? Reversing colors of the same pattern could work.
1 Like   March 14, 2013 at 9:19AM
PH Interiors, LLC
Rally like your rug. In coordinating another rug, the scale and style of the pattern is important, just like it is when choosing fabrics. Since this is a large scale design, unless you are going to dupliacte it, choose a rug with a smaller pattern it. Or go for a large transitional (not too fussy or oriental) floral with same color tones.
0 Likes   March 14, 2013 at 9:26AM
agonski
These are great suggestions, thank you. Unfortunately, I have not found a reverse pattern option - though it would be great! My biggest challenge is finding a rug with a smaller or complimentary pattern that has the same color scheme. The charcoal is more of a slate color, and the pattern is a dove gray/taupe and ivory. Specific rug ideas welcome!
0 Likes   March 14, 2013 at 10:00AM
0825sam
Here is a link to a rug I was thinking of. It's a smaller pattern, so I think it should coorindate especially since it will be under a dining room table. I know it might be an issue matching the greys. http://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/rugs/rugs-usa-chevron/charcoal/200HJHK04A-26010.html
0 Likes   March 14, 2013 at 10:02AM
PH Interiors, LLC
I wouldn't put 2 vibrant geometrics in the same area, tho I like the chevron rug. Another simpler idea is to go with a neutral, sisal-looking rug with a charcoal grey border. Available at all price points and color combinations.
0 Likes   March 14, 2013 at 10:58AM
agonski
Love this chevron striped rug, but agree could be a tad busy with the other pattern. Any suggestions of the larger floral transitional style? That sounds like it could work well!
0 Likes   March 14, 2013 at 11:20AM
Oriental Weavers
That's a great rug! Check out some coordinating options pulled from our collections...
0 Likes   March 14, 2013 at 11:36AM
PH Interiors, LLC
Here's one from Crate & Barrel. http://www.crateandbarrel.com/talia-rug/f50754
0 Likes   March 14, 2013 at 11:39AM
RHS - Services
I like the idea of not having the rugs too matchy matchy especially when they are in the same sight line. Your colors Grey /taupe/ ivory are easy colors to work with and there are some beautiful rugs that look like pieces of modern art. The dining area is where you should be more elegant with your selection, if the table and chairs are exceptional pieces then choose a neutral in one of the colors from that room assuming that your colors flow. Go with what is happening in the dining room and pair your rug with the elements in that room but if both rugs can be seen at the same time stay in the same color tone try not to conflict with the other rug, remember the stronger pattern will draw your eye as a focal point especially if the other elements in the room are not as strong. Keep it light and airy in both pattern and color. good luck
0 Likes   March 14, 2013 at 12:05PM
0825sam
Just a visual of what I was thinking with the chevron suggestion :) Like a lot of the other suggestions as well!

0 Likes   March 14, 2013 at 12:44PM
agonski
That's the EXACT photo I was going off of as well. Love the way these two spaces work together in color/pattern.
0 Likes   March 14, 2013 at 12:59PM
agonski
Really digging the Rosa area rug, Kelly. Very much my style and absolutely agree on the matchy/matchy factor. Thanks to all of you for these great suggestions...
0 Likes   March 14, 2013 at 1:04PM
agonski
What do you guys think of these? Too much geometric pattern?
0 Likes   March 14, 2013 at 1:17PM
thelmalouisemom
I like Sphinx's third option and also the one from Crate and barrel.
0 Likes   March 14, 2013 at 1:35PM
daveyola
We have a similar layout and strikingly similar rug. We decided to do a gray and silver threaded shag in the living room, complementary colors (silver is subdued) but distinct textural difference...and a neighboring "mostly solid" works very well
0 Likes   March 14, 2013 at 1:43PM
daveyola
It was: Rugs USA Keno Viva Shag Metallic Beige Rug
It looks outstanding in person and loads of great feedback from visitors, and its so plush
0 Likes   March 14, 2013 at 1:46PM
Jayme H.
Just wondering what color your larger furniture pieces are and if you have draperys/window treatments in iivingroom already-if so..which of your colors are they all?
0 Likes   March 14, 2013 at 1:50PM
agonski
No draperies at the moment - just dark wooden blinds. I have a light gray sofa, glass coffee table, chocolate leather wing back chair and two geometric pattern chairs that compliment the colors of the living room rug. And my dining set is a dark, espresso wood.
0 Likes   March 14, 2013 at 2:00PM
Jayme H.
It sounds like a beautiful room! With the pattern in your chairs..and the pattern in the dining room rug, it could get tricky to add in another pattern into another rug without seeing it all, can u post some pics? Unless u go with something plain, that is.
0 Likes   March 14, 2013 at 2:23PM
agonski
The think you all may be right on the solid option...maybe something textured? Since this is my formal dining space, I'm hoping for something a bit less casual than sisal. Here is a photo of the space - not the best as it's from my camera phone.
1 Like   March 14, 2013 at 3:35PM
0825sam
What about an ombre? Your painting made me think of it. Not quite solid not quite patterned.
Here's a link to a search http://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=Ombre
0 Likes   March 14, 2013 at 3:41PM
Jayme H.
Yes..Yours spaces are very close too, so wondering if a solid would be better..You can always add more pattern into accessorizing if u feel it needs more.
0 Likes   March 14, 2013 at 3:47PM
wallysgirll
IMHO, the Rosea area rug would work well with the lvgrm rug. The "agonski" rug on the left might work, too.
0 Likes   February 20, 2014 at 12:30PM
agonski
Thank you for all of the great ideas! For fun - here are two pics of the rug I ended up going with. Hope you like it!
3 Likes   February 20, 2014 at 2:27PM
7768
agonski, they look great! What is the large gray one called at overstock? Seeing it in your room, it looks like the colors that would work for me. Great looking room!
0 Likes   February 20, 2014 at 3:30PM
agonski
It is the Alexa Trellis rug in charcoal. It is more of a slate blue then a gray...just so you know!
0 Likes   February 20, 2014 at 4:24PM
agonski
And the rug under the dining room table is Vines from West Elm.
0 Likes   February 20, 2014 at 4:25PM
7768
Thank you, very helpful!
0 Likes   February 28, 2014 at 11:57AM
carpetlady1
Really textured fiber rug with a wide tapestry binding , materials like sisal also have some patterns and some color fun and easy to work with other patterned rug borders in every color and some fabrics can be used!
0 Likes   May 5, 2014 at 9:56PM
eliseeeg
Agonski, your room looks great! I am working on a furniture layout plan for a similar room, and I really like how yours turned out. Would you mind sharing the overall dimensions of the room, your couch and dining room table? And what size rugs did you buy? Thank you!
0 Likes   June 9, 2014 at 1:22PM
agonski
Hi there - I don't have dimensions of my room handy, but my sofa is the Park Sinclair from Bloomingdale's (sold out) 87"W X 41D" x 34"H, and my dining room table is similar to the Tuscany large dining table (Boston Interiors) 36"W x 72"D x 29.5"H (with extension). My rugs are 7'6" X 9'6" (living room) and 9" x 12" (dining room). Hope this helps!
0 Likes   July 16, 2014 at 5:55AM
Dire need of help for open-concept living room & dining area
It's been four months since we moved in, and we made...
Need Help for Open concept Kitche, dining, & living room Area
We need help with Kitchen as you have no idea where...
Need help with my open concept kitchen, family room, dining area.
Family/living room wall in open concept FL home. This...
Need help with paint color for my open concept living/dining room!
Just had the ceiling and sky lights painted white but...
how to determine the exterior
I love the farmhouse look with the planked walls, but...
flooring ideas
home foundation is pier and beam. what are my flooring...
Need help with guest bath
I'm thinking about tiling a shower in the guest bath...
24“ cooktop and oven with 30" over the range microwave.
We are remodeling our kitchen and I have been shopping...
Help with my builder grade kitchen
Hi, everyone. We are in the process of buying a new...