Granite or Quartz? Need to find counter to match my backsplash.
mponce17
We love the backsplash but can't find a granite slab to match. Any suggestions? Or should we use Quartz? The granite in the picture is Bianco Romano, but I don't think it works.
PYRAMID DESIGN GROUP
The backsplash is terrific! The counters should be very neutral so as not to clash--I think you need a solid color (ie no pattern in the countertop)Try to match the cream of the backsplash.
March 14, 2013 at 6:32PM     
mponce17
That is exactly what I was imagining. Thank you!!!! So do I need to choose Quartz?
March 14, 2013 at 6:34PM     
charlsb
I would like to see something a little darker for the counter maybe a little more defined as well. But pick something you can live with for a long time and won't tire of the color.
March 14, 2013 at 6:34PM   
mponce17
I love granite, but my dilemma is finding granite that is not too busy, and does not compete with backsplash. I like the idea of a creamy color. Any suggestions on what choices are available?
March 14, 2013 at 6:42PM   
mponce17
charlsb can you send me some pictures to help me see what you see?
March 14, 2013 at 6:44PM   
K B
Whatever material you choose, I think your countertop needs to be darker so there is more contrast between the cabinets and countertop. Maybe go with the color that is darkest color in your backsplash. Otherwise the beauty of the cabinets gets lost.
March 14, 2013 at 6:46PM     
lcskaisgir
Kashmir white granite or there is a quartzite (which is not man made like quartz but similar to granite) that looks similar to marble...it's called calacatta.
March 14, 2013 at 6:48PM     
IBB Design Fine Furnishings
Quartz is one of my favorite products to use in kitchens. Okite has some fabulous color selections and it is scratch & stain resistant.
March 14, 2013 at 6:51PM     
mponce17
Today I looked at Kashmir White and the slab had a lot of blue/grey strands. It was lovely, but it too competed with the backsplash. I will research the Calacatta. Thank you!
March 14, 2013 at 6:54PM   
Yarbro Home Improvement LLC
Are you so completely in love with the backsplash that you are making countertops choices based on that. Is this one stop shopping? If so, are you limited to your choices of backsplash and countertop? Im sure it happens, and there will be people here that will attest to it, but I have never had a client choose a countertop based on a backslash.
March 14, 2013 at 6:59PM     
K B
It's very hard to match up colors on a computer, but I think a darker color like the first or third would work well.
Latte Caesarstone
Desert Sand Caesarstone
Crema Minerva Silestone Worktops
March 14, 2013 at 7:01PM     
mponce17
YHI - Yes! I suppose there is always a first time. We searched for a backsplash for months and loved this one because it is different. We want a stone backsplash and everyone has the stone and glass look. We wanted something different. I know it is harder to choose the countertop based on the backsplash, but we would really like to keep this one. It is so different.
March 14, 2013 at 7:04PM   
mponce17
KB - I like your suggestions. I will look for these and compare the colors. The backsplash has more of a green tint. The island is dark, and I would prefer to use the same countertop for both the light and dark cabinets.
March 14, 2013 at 7:11PM   
3144123456
I like those two together!
March 14, 2013 at 7:55PM   
mponce17
3144...you mean the Bianco Romano granite with the stone backsplash? Depending on the lighting it sometimes works, but the granite is too white. The backsplash's lighter tone is creamier. Is this what you meant?
March 14, 2013 at 7:59PM   
K B
mponce17--I'm glad you like them. I sincerely think your entire kitchen will be enhanced if you go with a darker countertop. Good Luck!
March 14, 2013 at 8:04PM     
Yarbro Home Improvement LLC
Mponce17, nothing wrong with that. You'll find something ;)
March 14, 2013 at 8:04PM     
0825sam
What is the stone of the backsplash? I wouldn't put real marble next to a marble look quartz, but if its a different stone (I have a limestone in my kitchen that looks like that) a marble look quartz could work. Cambria torquay in the attached photo is supposed to be one of the more natural looking. I would encourage you to see a large scale slab in person. Otherwise I like the idea of a solid quartz with those tiles.

March 14, 2013 at 8:08PM     
mponce17
Thank you for all you great ideas. If you find anything else to help me find the perfect match please post. I will add more pictures as we continue the project.
March 14, 2013 at 8:09PM   
mponce17
sam0705 -- lovely! I will look for this. I really do not know what type stone it is, but it looks like limestone. Definitely not marble.
March 14, 2013 at 8:14PM   
cprav7
I like the granite look!
March 14, 2013 at 8:25PM   
Twisted Minds Custom Designs
Let's start off with saying I may be a bit biased about the countertop material, but have you considered concrete? A quality concrete artisan could custom design a countertop to match your backsplash in an almost endless array of colors, styles, textures, and designs. If you have an interest or any questions regarding concrete, I'd be happy to help answer any questions you may have.
March 14, 2013 at 8:58PM   
mponce17
TMCD -- Hmm...never thought of that. That would look very nice, but custom sounds expensive.
March 14, 2013 at 9:02PM   
drsmitty74
You need to go with a solid, OR, very slight repeated pattern found in quartz. Granite will distract from the focal backsplash. I would go with a darker color to not wash out the lighter cabinets. There needs to be definition.
March 14, 2013 at 9:07PM   
mponce17
How will darker look on the dark "Kaffe Color" island cabinets? Any color suggestions on the solids or quartz?
March 14, 2013 at 9:11PM   
drsmitty74
on your island, do not be afraid to change the counter top. I have seen where reversing the colors looks incredible. Example, use a darker Kaffe type color as the counter top of choice on the lighter cabinets, and use a lighter colored top on the island that plays off the lighter cabinets. You can use granite like you have in your original pictures on your island and I bet it will look amazing.
March 14, 2013 at 9:14PM     
Twisted Minds Custom Designs
Concrete is fairly relative in cost and care as granite and other natural stones, and can actually be more cost effecctive depending on design such as circular pieces, edge detailing, etc. Attached is a link to a concrete countertop FAQ's page I created to help homeowners and builders alike decide if concrete is a material they may be interested in using for their projects. Again if you have any questions feel free to ask.
http://www.houzz.com/discussions/346684/Concrete-Countertops-FAQ-s-by-Twisted-Minds
March 14, 2013 at 9:15PM     
drsmitty74
possibility for the darker quartz color on the counter, and like I said, I;d go with the granite you have already show in your original pics for the island.
March 14, 2013 at 9:20PM     
drsmitty74
Diamond Brown is the name of this color
March 14, 2013 at 9:22PM   
drsmitty74
Saddle Brown - Zodiac Brand by DuPont
March 14, 2013 at 9:28PM     
mponce17
drsmitty74 -- mixing colors I have seen, but will it look good to mix materials, like quarts and granite? I like these warm colors. I will look for samples of these and test them. Thank you!
March 14, 2013 at 9:37PM   
mponce17
I think the Diamond Brown may match best.
March 14, 2013 at 9:37PM     
drsmitty74
Personally, I think it looks great. Talk to your local Granite/Quartz supplier (not Lowes or other similar store) and ask if anyone has done it or if they have pictures. Sometimes they have great photos of previous projects.
March 14, 2013 at 9:41PM     
bevballew
Beautiful backsplash. I love it. I have light cabinets and a dark granite top and it is beautiful so I would go with a darker granite top to go with that backsplash. Original one was too busy. The two samples above look too dark against the backsplash.
March 14, 2013 at 9:41PM     
I'd go very plain with the beautiful backsplash. Silestone quartz. Here is amazon gray Silestone quartz counter.

March 14, 2013 at 9:45PM     
mponce17
@bevballew -- Thank you. We love it! Can you post pictures of your dark granite? I agree the Bianco Romano appears too busy, competing with the backsplash.
March 14, 2013 at 9:45PM   
drsmitty74
Here is exactly what i was referring to. Only your cabinets are the light color and your island is the darker color
March 14, 2013 at 9:47PM     
mponce17
Friends with black granite suggest against it. They say it is too difficult to keep looking clean.
March 14, 2013 at 9:47PM     
bevballew
I have a black and brown combo. It is the blotchy look, if you know what I mean. I will take a pic tomorrow. I love it. It does not show dust or any debris that may be there accidentally when wiping up. Why do they not like black? I bought a house and was thinking of putting black in a kitchen. I have black with the sparkles in my powder room and it is fine except it does show dust after so many days if not wiped down.
March 14, 2013 at 9:59PM   
mponce17
They find that it shows dust and finger prints more than lighter stones. A combo "blotchy" look may be a solution to that though. I will look for your pictures. Thank you!
March 14, 2013 at 10:02PM   
Stoneshop
Hi mponce17,

I just want to clarify what someone said earlier about Calacatta. That material is a high end marble NOT a quartzite. Your backsplash may be a travertine.

If you are still interested in using natural stone, I think that a granite called Copenhagen would look wonderful in your kitchen! It has some movement to it, but the colors will complement your cabinetry and backsplash (which are both beautiful!). Here is a link to view what it looks like: http://pmirock.com/vLots.aspx?ID=1120&z=Granite

Another option is Taj Mahal Quartzite (natural stone). Here is a link to view some slabs. I prefer the lighter slab on the right: http://pmirock.com/vLots.aspx?ID=1048&z=Quartz
March 15, 2013 at 6:45AM   
lcskaisgir
Stoneshop...I am now VERY concerned as I just put a few slabs of calacatta on hold under the impression that it is a quartzite. The warehouse I am purchasing it from gave me this information. When you say it is a high end marble, does that mean it has better durability than regular marble? Thank you and sorry to take this up on your thread mponce17!
March 15, 2013 at 7:33AM   
bevballew
Here is my black and brown blotchy granite. Let me know if you need a better pic.
March 15, 2013 at 7:35AM   
bevballew
Here is one more from a distance.
March 15, 2013 at 7:36AM   
drsmitty74
Bevballew- Looks like Baltic Brown.
March 15, 2013 at 7:38AM   
mponce17
My husband and I like the Taj Mahal Quartzite very much. The Copenhagen, although beautiful, appears too busy for us. I will contact PMI to see if they have dealers in my area. I will post what I find, please check back.

Thank you for the clarification. I should have known my backsplash is Travertine. Marble is not the look I am after and I agree with most that I need to complement my cabinetry as well as my backsplash.

Your suggestions have been very helpful. Thank you!
March 15, 2013 at 7:53AM   
0825sam
I think by higher end he means calacatta is an expensive (beautiful) marble.
March 15, 2013 at 7:56AM   
mponce17
@lcskaisgir -- your questions and comments are welcome. It is all related to why we are all having this discussion. I too think "Stoneshop" meant more $$$ -- I will add that I have heard that marble is not as forgiving in the kitchen. I mostly see it in bathrooms...thoughts on that?
March 15, 2013 at 8:01AM     
Stoneshop
lcskaisgir,
The issue with stone is that many places are going to categorize different colors as different materials. Our shop and our suppliers categorize Calacatta as marble. Your warehouse may classify it as something else. Do you have any photos of the slabs?

sam0705 is correct. By high end, I mean that this marble is usually on the more expensive side. If you are very concerned, I would ask the warehouse for a small sample of the stone. Then you can do some testing on it yourself to see how it holds up. Put some lemon juice, red wine, and spaghetti sauce on the sample and let it sit there for a little while to see how the materials responds.

mponce17,
I thought that you would feel that way about the Copenhagen, but I just had to throw it out there because I love it so much :) Glad that you like the Taj Mahal! I'm not sure if PMI has any dealers other than the warehouse over here, but they may! If not, I would call some of your local slab warehouses to see if they have it in stock.
March 15, 2013 at 8:06AM   
bevballew
Loved stone shops suggestion. Thanks re telling me my granite is Baltic brown. Have had it ten years and did not remember name. I love granite in a kitchen. When pulling something out of oven don't need a hotpad...but I do take the hot item off the granite asap. Marble difficult on counters. I have marble on my kitchen floor and anything acidic wrecks the finish. I would never put marble unless there are finishes that preserves its beauty with not much worry as to what goes on it.
March 15, 2013 at 8:25AM   
lcskaisgir
Considering all the options that have been presented...I vote for Taj Majal!!!
March 15, 2013 at 8:30AM   
drsmitty74
Here is a pic you may want to see. It's the Taj on light cabinets, and also on dark.
March 15, 2013 at 8:38AM   
Granite Transformations
I'd recommend going with a slab that's darker and can bring out the backsplash and cabinetry as well. Something similar to our Terra Di Siena granite countertops could work. You can see them and other samples here- http://www.granitetransformations.com/southjersey/products/granite-countertops/colors/

Our counters come with a lifetime warranty, and they're scratch, heat and stain resistant. Good luck with your choice!
March 15, 2013 at 8:56AM   
Premier Countertops & More
Mponce - Love the tile. I am partial to the quartz materials. We also spec other solid stone materials but quartz is the best in a kitchen that will actually get used. Plus the manufacturers have warranties that range from 10 yrs to a lifetime on the materials where the other materials usually dont. Just something to think about. This is an investment and you want to make sure its protected.
March 15, 2013 at 9:03AM   
Premier Countertops & More
oh and Sam0705...you are right the Cambria Torquay is absolutely GORGEOUS! I have it in my showroom right as you walk in and it is a "Jaw Dropper"
March 15, 2013 at 9:06AM   
iamchickaddd
I found this recently...it's quartz...but I don't know the name of it.
March 15, 2013 at 9:34AM   
iamchickaddd
Also, what is the name/manufacturer of your backsplash?
March 15, 2013 at 10:18AM   
justone
I like what you have picked out and think it will look lovely, but wanted to show you the Zodiac quartz I have in my kitchen. It looks like it would go well with your backsplash and the color is a happy medium...the color is Toasted Almond.
March 15, 2013 at 10:58AM     
jean25
Quartz Zodiaq Capppochino (sp) would look great with this.
DuPont makes it.
March 16, 2013 at 1:35PM   
jean25
Justone- your kitchen is gorgeous. Happy with Zodiaq? It's prettier than granite...I am a realtor and people are not as excited about granite as in the past.
March 16, 2013 at 1:41PM   
justone
Thank you jean25! I have never had granite but I've no complaints with quartz...it's been 4 years and no scratches yet, have in the bathrooms too.
March 17, 2013 at 12:54PM     
Need help with my cool backsplash...what quartz would match?
I selected the Walker Zanger Helsinki Silver Dusk tile...
I need help to decide between granite or quartz for my kitchen counter
We are remodelling our kitchen and are trying to decide...
Need help finding backsplash to match granite/cabinets
Granite is White Spring and cabinets will either be...
Kitchen update? Yes or no?
I tried posting a bit ago but my pics didn't upload....
What to put above this bench
This bench is in the entrance way as well as the front...
masterbedroom - what paint colors ?
I have black paisley ralph lauren quilt for bed, wool...
Need gallery wall ideas!
I would love a gallery wall on this wall in my daughters...
Need help with landscaping around giant shed
We just moved into our new house and have been baffled...