Please help us with our facelift! Would love to modernize!
macandme
March 14, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We recently remodeled the interior of our home and love the clean somewhat modern look that we accomplished. Now it's time to make the outside look as good as the inside! We have a Craftsman style home, but would like to give it a hint of modern flare. We're looking for ideas for a facelift (landscaping to be done later). Not sure if we should use siding, stone, or stucco finishes....but we know that we like modern, organic, and clean lines. We're also considering ipe wood paneling (seen in a lot of modern exteriors), but don't know how we'd incorporate something like that. How can we modernize our house while balancing the Craftsman style of our home... and still 'blend' into our suburban neighborhood?? Thanks in advance....so excited to hear from everyone.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Darzy
You said landscaping can be done later but that is a biggie. But you're right. First, hire an architect regarding the exterior but without professional landscaping, you will feel like "something is still missing". Get a home improvement loan and do it all! :)
March 14, 2013 at 11:31pm   
Darzy
Seriously, this is a big investment for you and if you're planning on staying in the home a long time, it is worth hiring professionals to get it right and make you love your home. We all try to DIY landscape, etc but on the outside of the home, the pro's do it best.
March 14, 2013 at 11:34pm     
macandme
Thanks Darzy. I agree that the landscaping should ideally be done with the front/exterior remodel. We aren't likely DIY-ing this project...just wanting to do some fishing for ideas before seriously talking to anyone.
March 14, 2013 at 11:45pm   
Darzy
Just speaking from experience. We spent thousands over the years with shrubs, plantings, trees, etc, with different sprucing throughout the years to create "curb appeal". Then, finally we hired a landscape designer to do it "right" and we said, "we should have done this years ago!"
March 14, 2013 at 11:55pm   
Darzy
Back to your original question.:) I think stucco with horizontal wood gives a nice modern look. A new garage door in wood, or glass panels can give it a modern look as well. A new front door with glass panels also gives it the MCM look. Instead of the brick you could do a stacked stone. Have fun and make your home your sanctuary!

March 15, 2013 at 12:12am     
Darzy
Here's a sample of a gray/blue with the same style as your board siding, but with horizontal siding.

March 15, 2013 at 12:14am     
macandme
Thanks. Love both of those looks. Color combination of the natural wood and steel blue look great together.
March 15, 2013 at 12:21am   
PRO
Andrea Prasch
Hello! A Cali native here and you actually have more of a ranch style home! You have great bones on this home and older homes are my favorite. I would plant some wall climbing vines as well as iceberg roses. Repainting and adding shutters would also be lovely on your great home
March 15, 2013 at 12:44am     
Debra Gunstanson
I have seen yellow trimmed in black beautiful also I would plant juniper plants sturdy and they make a huge statement u will have to white wash your brick then paint big money savor
March 15, 2013 at 1:12am   
macandme
Thanks Andrea for clarifying on the style of the home. Make sense....california ranch it is!
March 15, 2013 at 9:27am     
mmilos
First, I would remove the dated fan arch detailing from your garage door. They're usually just plastic inserts that can be popped off. This will give the garage door a cleaner, more modern look and may be transforming enough so you don't need to spend money on a new garage door.

I then might paint the brick flanking the garage your siding color so it blends in better. It looks like that's the only spot where the brick is used.

Hire an electrician to hang two good sized wall lights on the sides of the garage. Update your porch light in a similar style.

Paint the house a light gray and trim a black or dark charcoal gray for a more contemporary look.

Hire a landscape designer to develop a plan you can implement for your front yard.
March 15, 2013 at 9:38am     
Jayme H.
These homes have some similarities to yours but with some modern looking features
March 15, 2013 at 9:54am     
PRO
Sweet Caroline Garden Design
Your house would make a great contemporary statement with a change of color and a few additions. An architectural pergola over the entrance and a garden with ornamental grasses, low evergreen shrubs and some perennials and annuals would make it all the more interesting. Here's a sketch of my ideas - don't go by the colors I used on the house -there's just a limited selection on the software and so they are just for effect .
March 16, 2013 at 4:03pm     
macandme
Thanks everyone. The garage door will definitely be replaced. We also plan to re-stucco most of the house, and possibly add some sort of updated siding or paneling to the front. Will also be refacing the brick with natural stone or painting it. We're a ways out from making any decisions or talking to a designer/contractor...still lots of homework to do....
March 16, 2013 at 7:01pm   
brody1313
looks like you are on the right track..........good luck
March 16, 2013 at 7:17pm     
libradesigneye
Look at a great source book for ranch houses that have been taken modern "atomic ranches" - you can get where you want to go
March 16, 2013 at 7:20pm     
mitchpotts
I'm no designer or architect , but just a thought for a lower cost impact.. You can change out the grids on garage door glass cheaply. Something more grid- like, or none at all w tint.
Also, maybe some sort of fence enclosure in front. Low lines, with heavier trellis - arbor tops lend well to the craftsman look I think . This could help reduce the landscape costs too?
March 16, 2013 at 8:46pm     
libradesigneye
You have vertical board and batten siding, red brick and original aluminum windows. You want to fit into the neighborhood, but have a more modern look. First thing you can do for less than $500 is change the rainbow grid on the garage door light strip to a plain square every square light strip. Then, paint. If your roof is grey, find a light mushroom taupe color that would work well next to gray and white (roof and garage door factory color / now window trim color. Something like http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW7673-pewter-cast/
Paint the brick, paint the siding so the whole body of the house is one color, including eaves, beam at entry portico, trim around garage. Paint the sidelights and their trim pewter. Around the entry door and the window trim, change the white to be tinted with the pewter cast, or use this coordinating tone http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW7035-aesthetic-white/

Buy some large format 6" high modern font house numbers and mount them perfectly horizontal and a bit lower than where they are now to be seen from the street. Coordinate them with a new modern entry fixture in chrome.

Replace your front door with a crestview front door like http://www.crestviewdoors.com/order/crestview-doors-and-entry-systems/nokona-door.html
and paint it red-orange (if your color palette is warm inside) or purple-blue (if your color palette inside leans cool).

Voila - you fit in, but you stand out. Yep, then you should study local hardy plants and do some foundation plantings (but, plan your flower color to the house door) and can fill the existing bed between garage and entry door with rounded river rock bedding under the existing shrub for texture.
March 17, 2013 at 1:18pm     
macandme
Any suggestions for the brick? Re-face with stone? Ipe paneling?
March 18, 2013 at 10:18pm   
libradesigneye
Tough to put wood on top of masonry successfully.Better to do horizontal ipe on the rest of your board and batten echoing the horizontal pattern of the brick you've got.

Painted brick is almost more modern than stone. Facing masonry with stone these days often means a "cultured stone" product - not real, color blends that are often poor representations of natural stone (some are good, but most, not) and subject to ugliness when damaged and the fakeness is revealed. You can buy real stone veneer but here, when your goal is modern, this could be a big expense for little return.
March 19, 2013 at 8:53am     
handymam
I really like your house a lot!

If you don't mind the expense of real stone, I would put stone on the brick parts as well as in the tcucked in area of the front door.Stacked stone is an updated look that will be classic as well.

I won't mention the garage doors (as they have been beaten to death, lol) except to say that I think you should also paint them the same color as tyhe rest of the house. That way, the focal point ids your front entrance. I can't really see your door, but I would paint out the white trim between the door and the sidelight in the same color as the door. I think the stripe look it gives is distracting.

I don't think your yard needs many plants to bring it into looking nice either. If you want a more updated look for your garden , it seems that less is more these days.
March 19, 2013 at 9:14am