How to decorate wall behind my couch ?
charlnn
Big pictures ? Frames ? Mirror ? In country house style. Help me please
backbonemountain
The only color in your room is the flowers. You can choose any large colorful picture that you like. If you choose a mirror, it will not have any color. You can make it work if you use a beautiful frame in a beautiful color!
March 15, 2013 at 8:00pm     
HI - Any Art really . Or have some framed photos of your pets that you are protecting the furniture from .
March 15, 2013 at 8:07pm     
Dar Eckert

How about a piece of wall art.
March 15, 2013 at 8:15pm     
olldroo
The world is your oyster here. Check out photos of artwork - there are thousands - and choose if you would like one large piece a group or cover the whole wall. Find artwork your really like and work from there - you have room for as much colour as you would like.

[houzz=RP Model]

[houzz=Domicile id]

[houzz=paint A Lifestyles Project]
March 15, 2013 at 8:17pm     
Mary Poulos Interior and Exterior Design
Olldroo you never cease to amaze me with your perfect selections. These are all wonderful. I think I like the top two the most for this room and the third one I just like because it is great! Actually it works well too, they just need to remember to follow through with the pillows that mirror the pictures.
March 15, 2013 at 8:29pm     
olldroo
Thank you Mary-Peggy. Half of these things are what I dream for my home and either can't find them or can't afford them :)
March 15, 2013 at 8:35pm     
whitwhatup
I see an antiqued double iron / wood door with distressed color weathered in wood...
March 15, 2013 at 8:41pm   
Design Mode
Is this country house style? You could start with your pillows by making new covers to inject patterns and colours.
Garage sales and vintage stores have unique finds, and crafty web sites can show you how to display big items for your wall.
Are you on Pinterest?
March 15, 2013 at 8:59pm     
anne dee

mirrors with black frames repeating the black in your chandelier
March 15, 2013 at 9:35pm     
charlnn
Thank you so much. I didn't expect to get so many comments back. This room as you can see is completely neutral. Which colors would you recommend to mix/add to the couch and walls to make it cosy and romantic ?
March 15, 2013 at 9:45pm   
Vivian Rase
I like the two mirrors in the photo above. I never would have thought of side by side mirrors
March 15, 2013 at 10:12pm   
olldroo
Cosy, to me is making a room look inviting and comfortable and you are well on the way to achieving that. Romantic would probably come in lighting.

Colour would depend on your room and the lighting and aspect, even where you live. If it gets great light and lots of sun then you may want to consider cool colours like blues and greens with something like coral for some pop. If the room is north facing and gets little sun then you would want warm colours like golden yellow, soft oranges, ochre and dusky greens. It also comes down to what colours you enjoy being around, you can't manufacture an environment if you aren't comfortable in it.
March 15, 2013 at 10:36pm     
charlnn
Thanks olldroo, the third picture is great, i think i'll go for this idea, makes the room pop. Maybe two big lights on both side of the sofa replacing this silver chandelier ?
March 15, 2013 at 10:41pm   
charlnn
Could dark purple or greys work ?
March 15, 2013 at 10:50pm   
kyliemt11
I can see a large piece of art with brown/gold tones with burnt orange and/or red in it.
Either no frame or rustic wooden frame to match your style and decor.
March 15, 2013 at 10:57pm   
charlnn
Again would like to thank all the people you commented. Have great ideas now. Greetings from Germany ;)
March 15, 2013 at 10:57pm   
olldroo
charinn - love that third one too - it is a brave move but one that would pay off in the end. I love lamps only in lounge rooms, definitely sets a lovely mood. I used to have two pendants in one corner of mine, then just went to lamps, but have now gone back to two pendants again with some lamps. The pendants are softer than lights. I wondered if you had lamps, I couldn't see any.

Have you checked this out?

What part of Germany are you in?
March 15, 2013 at 11:23pm   
kyliemt11
Greetings from a German in Australia!
March 15, 2013 at 11:27pm   
March 15, 2013 at 11:29pm   
olldroo
Well I have a German son-in-law courtesy of my eldest joey who now lives in Germany. Sounds like a fair exchange.
March 15, 2013 at 11:30pm   
olldroo
Darzy - are horses romantic?? :)
March 15, 2013 at 11:31pm   
roo...yes. horses are romantic. lol I love horses. Was "romantic" a request? I missed that. But, for a "country" yet modern art I think something like this would look beautiful above the sofa.
March 15, 2013 at 11:40pm     
olldroo
darzy - be interesting to see what charlnn thinks, "country" has a different meaning in different countries. Your country is horses, bullock horns, cowskin rugs, etc, our country is more what you would call rustic/cottage. Don't know what is country in Germany. Must ask dd.
March 15, 2013 at 11:52pm     
charlnn
Thank you Darzy for your idea. This could be a nice touch but I wouldn’t go for it. I feel like huge pieces of Art can be quite scary and get maybe old fashioned through the years. Does it make sense? I want to play it safe. With frames or shelves I could play around more easily and I don’t need to invest. My lack of knowledge in Art make me chose pictures frames. I think what could work is find first pillows (shapes, colors) that I really like and from those get frames and work with walls. Now for the private part, I live in Hamburg but I am French. You understand now why I would like to include the Romantic, cosy touch to my living room. Ah ah
@Olldroo: It is very interesting to put it that way. Well we could say that Country style is very general word which could have lots of meanings I guess. In Germany, the word “country” would be associated with maybe Land house style which is one of my favorite.
March 16, 2013 at 12:32am     
charlnn
My "country" would be lots of whites mixed with flower patters, light greys, pinks, beiges ...Color furnitures all white. Antique furnitures ...
March 16, 2013 at 12:42am   
charlnn
Here are some more pictures of my living room:
March 16, 2013 at 12:55am   
olldroo
I'm confused, how many lounge settings do you have? You have some nice pieces there, particularly the little white table and drawers. How handy are you with a camera? If you are going for a collage of pictures, photos can come up looking just as good.

[houzz=Mid-Century Mod - Dallas, TX]

I love this idea too

[houzz=Brandi Powers]
March 16, 2013 at 1:51am   
charlnn
Those are old pictures. I moved my sofa around to find the right spot for it. You read my mind ! I was actually thinking to go thought my travelling pictures and use them maybe.
March 16, 2013 at 2:22am     
olldroo
I was so confused. You have a lovely outlook there, is that an apartment?

Not reading your mind - just great minds think alike. Wonder if you might be able to get a bit of a theme happening with your photos. If you have any souvenirs that could be framed you could throw them in for a bit of variety - put them on a coloured mat, like the yellow ones are done.
March 16, 2013 at 3:59am     
charlnn
The outlook is a winter garden them comes a tiny balcony. We live in an apartment yes.
March 16, 2013 at 5:05am   
roo..you are so right about the "country" term. I'm thinking on the "rustic" and organic side of country. The idea of travel photos is nice. If you want to add color and pattern to the space and still play it safe, you can matt and frame pretty wallpaper (samples?). Then, you can switch up, or add photos, or mix them both up. I like "art" mixed with photos.
March 16, 2013 at 9:53am   
Ps..I found the "romantic" comment! Here is art/photos mixed in an eclectic way. I like the special frame a different color than the rest.

March 16, 2013 at 9:57am     
I think charlnn means French Country. Yes, that is romantic.
March 16, 2013 at 9:59am   
olldroo
charinn - love that winter garden room (now I have worked it out) - what a great idea and it would help keep your lounge room warmer in winter too. You have a beautiful apartment.
March 16, 2013 at 6:59pm   
brody1313
I would do a large picture......love the horses............lots of frames will give a cluttered look...good luck
March 16, 2013 at 7:10pm   
March 17, 2013 at 9:10am   
Ideas for decorating wall behind my couch...
Just thought I'd see if anybody had suggestions on...
Need help with the blank wall behind my couch
I am stumped with how to decorate this wall? It has...
Should I paint behind my couch an accent wall?
So after buying my new couch and mirror I think this...
How long is the wall behind couch? Are there just the 4 pictures on it
Wanting to know if the pictures on the wall are centered...
Basement Apartment decor help!
Hi! My boyfriend and I are moving into a basement apartment...
Shades for triangular windows
8 triangular windows on front of house looking at lake....
Accent color help
Our Master bedroom is in need of an accent color update!...
Teen Room Design Dilemma
My daughter is moving into a new room in the house...
Need paint color advice
I have a small, second floor room in a Cape Cod house....