I need HELP... Master bathroom
amberwfreeman
Hello there! I'm building my first home and need help ASAP!!!!
Here's a pic of my vanity area... Here's my problems:
1. Are the lights too high??
2. I don't know if I should do 3 framed mirrors of the same size or one big mirror?? I don't want it looking "dated" with a big frameless mirror...
3. The outlets are in strange places.... Makes for another problem...
4. The vanities are not equal sizes on each side. The left side is bigger... Then there's a makeup area in the middle...

I need suggestions ASAP! Thank you!
astraea
Lights are definitely too high. I've read that they should be 5' to 5'6" off the floor in a bathroom. I happen to like wall-to-wall mirrors; I think they're the most functional .. and don't care if other people think they're dated .. but that's just me.
March 15, 2013 at 3:06PM     
handymam
I agree with astraea, they are definitely way too high! I am thinking there were lights that faced down at one time and not up...
I also like one large mirror. You don't have to get one without a frame though. You can get one witha frame, or make one out of picture frame trim. Just be sure to paint or stain BOTH sides of the wood as it will reflect in the mirror at the part where it overlaps.

Change the outlet covers, I think they are in the right spot for use where they are. Either get ones that you like that go with the finish on the sinks, or get inexpensive plain ones and paint them (before putting them up) the same color as the wall. That will make them "disappear" into the wall. I do that all the time, especially where someone else has already painted over the covers.
March 15, 2013 at 3:13PM     
amberwfreeman
Thanks for the input ladies.
I think I'm going to leave them at this height... Once I get the mirrors in place, they should be fine.
These lights are not made to be hung upside down. They are supposed to be upwards.
I'm probably going to paint the outlets and just hang picture frame mirrors over the outlets.
March 15, 2013 at 3:16PM   
handymam
I didn't mean the lights you have up, I thought this was an older house and that these are replacement lights.
March 15, 2013 at 3:22PM   
CDR Design
The light sockets are not too high. However, the fixtures are inappropriate for over a bathroom sink. They are more like sconces. Note how the light is scattered toward the ceiling. I would suggest light fixtures where the light is directed downward. As for the mirror, I would go with one large mirror. It can still be residential (framed). Three mirrors is unnecessarily choppy and with the one sink larger, you will want one large mirror that will bring cohesiveness to your space. Mirrors are magic and your space will look so much larger with one mirror.

Outlets: horrible spot. Please tell your builder to kindly move the light switch and two of the plugs to the sides of the sink. Even if there is a charge, it is worth it. The one in the middle needs to go also. You may consider asking him to place it in one of the drawers (can be done) and is convenient for hair dryers.
March 15, 2013 at 3:22PM   
astraea
What Handyman said was that when the wiring was put in, it was probably at that height for a down-facing fixture .. but then someone changed the fixture without adjusting where the wiring came out of the wall. They shouldn't be almost touching the ceiling; it's also a fire hazard.

You're not going to cover the outlets with the mirrors, are you?
March 15, 2013 at 3:23PM     
amberwfreeman
This is a new build. I fell in love with these lights. I cannot return them now. I believe the builder placed the wiring spots for downward facing lights. I can have him move the lights down, but then I'm afraid the mirror space will be very small.
I'm not covering the outlets with airport.
March 15, 2013 at 3:27PM   
handymam
That's what I meant astraea. I think the fixtures are not right for the way this was wired (as nice as they are) or they need to be replaced with ones that point down. (And that would be the easier way to go...) I think that amber meant she would hang the mirrors above the outlets. At least that's what I took it to mean.
March 15, 2013 at 3:27PM   
amberwfreeman
*mirrors, not airport
March 15, 2013 at 3:29PM   
ReMax - Lisa
Can you use these lights in another room, maybe beside bed, or in living room? they are too high and you need good task lighting in the bathroom for makeup and shaving etc. These cast too many shadows upwards with no light at face level where you need it.
March 15, 2013 at 3:32PM     
Gravity Cabinetry ltd.
Hi Amber,

The centre of the light fixture itself should typically sit at appc 6' of the ground. I would do two framed mirrors in there personally but you could do one big one the only thing is the cost on a custom mirror is more than a framed mirror from a local store. My concern is how close the outlets are to the faucets .Light fixtures are really nice! I hope it all works out.
March 15, 2013 at 3:33PM     
amberwfreeman
Remax: you are correct... I unfortunately don't have anywhere else to place them. The great thing is that I have tons of natural light in this bathroom.
March 15, 2013 at 3:34PM   
amberwfreeman
Gravity cabinetry: thanks for the input. The outlets are up to code for LA home authorities. I just think I will paint them so that they sort of "disappear" underneath the framed mirrors. But should I do two or three mirrors??
March 15, 2013 at 3:35PM   
amberwfreeman
Here's a pic of the cabinetry. See how the sides are uneven?!?!
March 15, 2013 at 3:37PM   
amberwfreeman
Here's a pic of something I was looking at.... There's 3 mirrors here...
March 15, 2013 at 3:39PM   
handymam
amber, that is what I was thinking about code. That is probably how the outlets are supposed to be spaced by building code. I think your contractor may have goofed by not asking you where you wanted the lights to go when he put in the wiring though.
March 15, 2013 at 3:39PM   
amberwfreeman
Handymam... Yes, neither he nor I, knew I would be using the upward lights. He said we could bring them lower though....
March 15, 2013 at 3:40PM   
Gravity Cabinetry ltd.
Hi Amber,

Based on seeing the Vanity better I think the way to go would be to a full mirror frameless because it is hard to break this up and have it symmetrical. Alot of our clients want frameless mirrors and we recommend doing a 1-1/2" bevel around the entire mirror has a nice effect :)
March 15, 2013 at 3:41PM     
amberwfreeman
Awesome idea Gravity!!!! Do you have a pic of something similar???
March 15, 2013 at 3:42PM   
handymam
Amber, I think if the spaces between your "levels" of vanity top were even like the pic with the mirrors you showed, separate mirrors would work. But because yours are not like that, and have different spaces beside each sink, one mirror would be better. However. If you could find or have made a smaller width mirror at each sink and one that would fit between that is wider than those two, it may work. But that is a big IF.
March 15, 2013 at 3:44PM   
Gravity Cabinetry ltd.
Hi Amber check out the album I created " Beveled mirror" that'll give you a good idea, Hope this helps !
March 15, 2013 at 3:58PM     
amberwfreeman
Gravity.... Where do I find that? I'm not able to locate it!
March 15, 2013 at 4:07PM   
handymam
Click on gravity's name above in green and then idea books
March 15, 2013 at 4:09PM     
amberwfreeman
I'm such an idiot.... I can't seem to find it... I clicked on his name and there's a tab with "projects"... I don't see anything with idea books
March 15, 2013 at 4:14PM   
handymam
You are no such thing! It is to the left of the word "projects" and also on the left side of the page.
March 15, 2013 at 4:21PM   
amberwfreeman
I finally found it. Had to get off the Houzz app and get on the desktop site. I really like the beveled mirrors! Thanks so much for the help! Hopefully I will get my mind made sooner or later. I will let you know how it goes!
I'm a little self-conscious about the lights now! :-/
March 15, 2013 at 4:27PM   
Madeline
Hi! You have space for a makeup vanity in the center but I'm afraid the beautiful up lights you've chosen will not facilitate the application of make up. What I am going to suggest is probably a little extra cost cut but you might be able to pull it off with the help of your builder who is after all complicit in the mistake with the lighting fixtures. With regard to the photo you attached with the three mirrors I am going to suggest you have installed one large sheet of mirror starting from just below your up lights. Then above each of the vanities measure out a mirror that will be the same dimensions for each vanity and then frame the mirror with picture frame molding. Between the "mirrors" and next to mirrors for the center vanity, which is the makeup vanity, install two correct down facing lighting fixtures, one on each side of the "framed mirror" and these will be for makeup application. You will end up with the three framed mirrors of equal size and the two proper lights as there should be for makeup application. The picture frame will be glued to the mirror with heavy duty mirror glue. The electrical for the two light fixtures will be in place prior to the application of the huge mirror and then installed over the mirror by having the build drill small holds in the mirror, I also would have the builder remove the small 4" mini-backsplash of granite (these are dated anyhow) and take the mirror down to the counter top. Change out the outlets and move them so that they are installed under the cabinets and to its sides. With a little extra work you will end up with what the picture you chose shows. It'll probably take your builder less time to install that it did me typing this. Good luck to you!. Just post if you have any questions and I'll try to make it clearer for you.
March 15, 2013 at 4:32PM     
amberwfreeman
Thanks Madeline. Overall, in the end, we may end up going that route. We are currently just trying to get into the house... We are pretty low on the budget right now... Down payments are not fun! :0)
March 15, 2013 at 5:00PM   
Madeline
Especially nowadays, thanks to the runaway greed of the bankers, so that now the couple who is just eking out enough funds to buy their first home has to put up a lot more than say seven or eight years ago, pre-bubble burst and housing market collapse. Back then we were looking at houses in the 500-600,000 range and the realtors were telling us to think much bigger ($800,000) with a 3% down. My husband and I were incredulous. This was in California and it was one of the hardest hit states when the collapse came. I truly hope everything works out for you, You've got plenty of time to plan out the mirrors. Get through this stage in tact first! Best of luck!
madeline
March 16, 2013 at 2:14PM   
I need help with a color paint for my master bathroom
My master bathroom is 9.7x8.5, it has a tub that looks...
I need help with my master bathroom wall color.
What paint colors do you all suggest to complement...
I need help with my master bathroom really bad!
My husband both this old house before we got married....
I need help with our master bathroom
i have a mid century modern house with a master bathroom...
Paint Color Matching Website - I cannot find one I used to use!
There is/was a site that I used to be able to select...
What should be the layout plan?
The only natural light source is the door from outside. Please...
Architect or Designer to change the look and style for front of home
We live in the Bay Area and are looking for an architect...
N-hance for floors?
Has anyone used N-hance? What are the pros and cons...