Decoration dilemma
maji18
I am having a hard time making this look good I have tried everything!
sarahjones42
Do you mean the wall colour the clock is on?
March 15, 2013 at 12:29PM   
sarahjones42
If it is then I'd suspect it's because the grey is too light? I'd go darker and perhaps warmer? It would bring it closer to you.
March 15, 2013 at 12:31PM   
maji18
No, the set up of the cookie jar and stuff, any ideas of what would make it look better? Like should I take the clock down or put pictures up or get some new items to set out on the counter
March 15, 2013 at 12:32PM   
AMN
Do you need or want the area to perform some sort of function or do you want to make it purely decorative? I'm assuming this is in a kitchen.
March 15, 2013 at 12:40PM   
sarahjones42
The clock is a lovely style and I think what isn't working is the style and proportion of the cookie jar and other bits. Perhaps remove these items, lift the clock slightly and add decorative cookery books and some colourful flowers to disguise the switches on the side? I'm new to this so just using my senses!!
March 15, 2013 at 12:41PM     
maji18
Yes this is a kitchen, I have never thought of it being functional! But do you have any ideas for either functional or decorative?
March 15, 2013 at 12:41PM   
creeser
I'm assuming this is in your kitchen, so correct me if I'm wrong. Where the clock is, how about a chalkboard that runs most of the length of the cabinet? You can buy chalkboard paint from Lowe's and make your own. A large bowl centered with fruit or flowers and that's it. I think it's just too many things. Even if you just moved everything off but the cookie jar, I think it would look better.
March 15, 2013 at 12:43PM   
maji18
Thank you so much for all your ideas they are very much appreciated! I will experimenting with every single one thank you all so much!! :)
March 15, 2013 at 12:44PM   
ReMax - Lisa
I have a similar counter in my newly constructed kitchen, the butlers pantry. I have a beautiful champagne bucket there, some tall pillar candles and wine. When we entertain this is where dessert and dessert plates are displayed. I will try to post a picture for you
March 15, 2013 at 12:46PM     
tbattleson
It's a nice little area. You could turn it into a coffee bar. Coffee maker, tray, mugs, etc.. Also put the clock to the left and add a collage of some smaller framed items. Just an idea.
March 15, 2013 at 12:48PM     
creeser
ReMax... great idea for a dessert bar. The cabinet could store all the serving dishes.
March 15, 2013 at 12:48PM     
maji18
I love that idea!! If you could post a picture it would be awesome! You guys are great :)
March 15, 2013 at 12:49PM   
ReMax - Lisa
Here you go - I have upper cabinets too which are very handy for glassware, but you could just put something quite tall on one side and then a great picture or bigger clock. (note bare wall, our backsplash isn't done yet.)
March 15, 2013 at 12:59PM     
bamamom
maji18...you could do similar to Remax's photo but use floating shelves for your stemware. Hang them high enough for some candles to one side and then the bucket or even a decorative vase on the other.
Let us see what you try out!
March 15, 2013 at 1:17PM     
maji18
This is what I have done so far haven't been able to go out and get more things I love the shelf idea for the stemware does this look any better? Or any ideas I just love this box it holds a wine bottle!
March 15, 2013 at 2:24PM     
sandj7510
It looks much better! More purposeful, rather than just stuff sitting on a counter.
March 15, 2013 at 2:36PM     
Daniel Dionne Designs llc
Maji, the clock is lovely but much too small. Replace it with ART that speaks to you, vs. a mirror. Visual weight will strengthen this as a focal point. Also, no more than 3 things on the counter top. Giving it a functional purpose will inform and direct your choices. You can change the wall color but grey is both current and timeless, so not necessary. Good Luck!
March 15, 2013 at 2:44PM     
maji18
Thank you guys so much you have helped a lot will try and find some art work or a bigger clock and will turn the box parallel with the wall :) thank you everyone!!
March 15, 2013 at 2:46PM     
basement dilemma, how to decorate???
I have a long, narrow basement. I am having trouble...
Console Dilemma- decorating on a budget
Hello, I had a store credit at West Elm and was...
Teen girl bedroom decor dilemma
Please give me suggestions on what we should do to...
Dinning Room Decorating Dilemma
I need help decorating my dinning room. I'm looking...
Need recs on a good paint color
Redecorating my daughter's room. The bedding is new...
Contemporary, traditional, mountain lodge
My house is 1990s contemporary, but I always naturally...
Updating a one-story, 1980s Florida house
We have a home with original, slightly better than...
need help for my blank wall! :-)
Hi wonderful houzzers..im here again to seek your advices...
Need help determining tile direction
We have a long, narrow room (8x20) that we are turning...