Bathroom Vanity
ddelora
Have a very small bathroom that will only accommodate a 36" wide vanity. Has to have cabinet opening for towels, cleaning supplies, and drawers for hair dryer, elec. shaver, brushes, etc. Found this vanity (way too wide) which would be perfect by adding storage in the upper sections and provide a mirror. Just need this in a smaller width. Love that it has the appearance of 1 piece unit. Any suggestions?
ddelora
Here's the photo..
March 15, 2013 at 1:36PM   
C Wright Design
Hi there! I sounds as though you are describing a free-standing vanity. One source with lots of options at 36" is Restoration Hardware. Good luck!
March 15, 2013 at 1:37PM   
C Wright Design
Okay...now the photo has loaded and I see what you like. The picture looks good but the one thing that this piece does is eliminate the option of lighting (sconces) on the sides of the mirror - critical to light your face if this is a bathroom where you put on make-up or shave. Take a look at the Restoration Hardware site to see examples of free-standing vanitites with matching mirrors above (which would give you a bit of the look you like) and sconces on either side for good light. Be sure to get sconces with a minumum of 75 watts of lamping each and locate them no more than 36" apart (from center of junction box to center of junction box). Please feel free to write more if you have any quesitons about what I've said. Best to you! Cynthia Wright
March 15, 2013 at 1:44PM   
ddelora
Thanks so much for your comments. Storage is more important, to us, than lighting on the sides of the mirror. The unit would abut to a wall on the left (could put light there), and could have overhead lighting as well. Love the styles at Restoration Hardware, but all I could find are free standing vanities with mirrors, which are the same basic styles (vanity with separate mirror) found at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. The photo I provided does reflect a bit heavier style than I would like, but still very keen on having the 1-unit look with additional doors/drawers on top of the vanity, without sacrificing a mirror and too much counter space.
March 15, 2013 at 2:03PM   
C Wright Design
Hi. Thanks for the response. I hear you loud and clear. If storage is the issue I have one more consideration that you may not have thought of already. The vanity shown is, as you said, wider than the 36" that you have available. Typically, we allow for approximately 18' - 20" of mirror. This would leave approximately 9" on each side for storage. By the time you subtract 3/4" of wood thickness for each side (total 1.5") of the cabinets flanking the mirror that would leave approximately 7.5" of width for each interior shelf. The picture looks like the cabinets are approximately 4" deep. You would actually have more storage in a large medicine cabinet. Robern (M Series) has one that is 23.25" x 39 3/8"and you could make it 4", 6", or 8" deep. I've attached a picture of one. The interior mirror is great for seeing yourself up close. Hope this helps!

March 15, 2013 at 3:57PM     
ddelora
Excellent point about the smaller the vanity, the smaller the mirror, ergo...the smaller the side cabinets. I knew that, of course, but did not compute the estimated "final" reality! In my quest to find something different, unusual, and outside the norm, to accommodate our needs, the obvious eluded me. Thanks for the reality-check!

We have an armoir just outside this small bathroom, in the master bedroom, that is organized with long baskets on shelves for medicines, bandages, extra stock of shampoos, body wash, make up, lotions, et al. In the bathroom, we need a cabinet for towels/washcloths, drawers for elec razor, blow dryer, brushes, etc. I thought to use the upper small doors storage for cleaning wipes, at-hand extra toilet paper, and so on. You know, items needed while one is in the room! Also, since it is such a small room, I thought a 1-piece would reduce the clutter effect of so many componets in the room. Shelves can be decorative, but I don't want to look at the clutter. A bathroom gets soooo dusty, hairy...ugh. Cleaning would be a full time job. Sorry about this long comment. Just wanting a miracle solution for which there probably isn't one. You've been kind to work with me thru this. Thanks, again.
March 16, 2013 at 5:58AM   
bmcilwain
If you have the leisure of time, post your needs to http://www.custommade.com/ and see if you find someone to make what you want. I posted 5 vanities and got 10 responses within a few days. Did not end up using them as the lead time I had was not sufficient, but wish I could have.
March 17, 2013 at 11:15AM   
C Wright Design
Good job...It sounds like you are very organized! I would start with a vanity and medicine cabinet with lots of storage. Do you have room above your toilet on the wall? We often hang a closed door cabinet there to house just the things you have listed - the taller the more storage you will get! Along with your armoire, you should then have good storage in your bathroom. Good luck and please feel free to write if there is anything else we can do to help. Cynthia Wright
March 18, 2013 at 1:20PM   
Men's Barbershop, what color should I choose
Small Mens Barbershop. What color should I use to go...
Dated Dining Room Help!
I am so tired of my drab dining room yet I can't afford...
Guest room not very guest friendly. Please help!
Smallish guest room is 12'6" x 11'3", but has high...
Chair and rug
I have this chair, a slightly off white
Hohe Leistung Laserpointer Grün 100mW
http://www.starkerlaser.com/100mw-laserpointer-grun.html...