How do I decorate above an entertainment unit?
pjaveryclark
This is a big room with 10' ceilings, open floor plan. The tv is 60". What should I do above and beside the unit to decorate?
Aja Mazin
Beside the Unit: tall potted tree on 1 side and 2 pictures hung vertically on the other side.

Or hang the guitars.

Someone else can address Above the Unit.
March 15, 2013 at 2:42pm     
Daniel Dionne Designs llc
Whatever you decide, SCALE is paramount. You could hang a series of prints horizontally above the media unit or stacked on the left side. You could utilize table top elements on top, but again, be sure they are large enough. Play with the arrangement. You could base the arrangement on the symmetry of the media cabinet or arrange more asymmetrically for a more relaxed effect. Think pottery, boxes or trunks, baskets, urns or artifacts. LOSE the greenery or integrate it secondarily to other elements. Once you have added window treatments (you need them) you really won't want or need anything to the right of the media unit. Have fun with it!
March 15, 2013 at 2:52pm     
Andee Photography Fine Art And Digital Design
I would try a series of 3 to 5 canvas art pieces. Maybe something music themed I see your guitars there to the side. I have music art gallery not sure I have anything that would fit our not. http://bit.ly/Z4imM7 Or you could go with the color and tones of your room. But I think that series of canvas at would look nice up there. Maybe square shaped or landscape positioned ones. http://bit.ly/VZRXz7
March 15, 2013 at 2:53pm   
susan9692
The room needs more color for interest. An arrangement of various objects (vases, artifacts, even books, etc.) with different shapes and textures and of different heights on the top of the unit, some should be tall. And some greenery (tree) on the wall in the corner next to the window. As it is, the guitars need a different place, not on the floor. Hope this helps!
March 15, 2013 at 2:56pm     
HomeGrownWarmth
Tall potted plant/tree in the corner next to window. A Pretty picture above the TV and hang the guitars from the wall if you can't move them into a different room
March 15, 2013 at 3:10pm   
Karen Naylor
paint the wood furniture a lighter colour (neutral shade of grey/ off white) row of 4 pics in uniform frames above the unit for interest and to break up the wall space, lighting in cabinets and a thin tall bookcase either side to give storage or extra display space, large, tall greenery in teh corner, re arrange the sofa from the front window so it faces the window and creates a more intimate space x
March 15, 2013 at 3:17pm     
Linda Anthony
What do you have on the opposite side of this room to balance TV unit? If you have the unit, and then load the wall above it - would be like sinking ship - all heavy stuff at one end. I agree with first comment - put a potted tree on one side and hang a couple pics or hang the guitars vertically.

What you could do, to keep better balance, is to lay or hang the two guitars over the TV. They would add interest but no additional height. The height of the windows balance it out nicely on the attached wall. What is across from the TV - opposite wall. Picture please of the entire room would be helpful in additional responses.
March 15, 2013 at 3:19pm   
Katie Conroy
Floor to ceiling panel window treatments will make a huge difference in the whole feel of the room, adding color, texture and interest to the window wall. Once you have done that, a tall potted plant (tropical, something with large leaves) on the left side of the TV (NOT a ficus!) Please remove the small plant from the top of the entertainment center. It is dwarfed by the size of the piece! Leaving that clear of accessories will give the room a cleaner look.
March 15, 2013 at 3:19pm   
lcl1984
Try moving the cabinet off center a bit, making room to one side for some stacked artwork. You've got a couple of nice guitars and if you are determined to keep them in view, why not hang them up on the wall...functional art. I think you need to consider painting the room a richer color, or perhaps just an accent wall. Please don't accessorize the top of the cabinet...just leave it free of clutter and certainly no fake plants. And of course you need to add some window treatment, roman shades would add a softness to the room.
March 15, 2013 at 3:21pm   
anne dee
scale and balance are important . Please show what is opposite the TV unit. Tks
March 15, 2013 at 3:23pm   
Deb Tison
I would add some vintage farmed posters that have to do with the music industry, pick up some vintage musical items of interest and just have fun with it.. try moving the tv unit off center of the wall..add window treatments to soften the room and accent with throw pillows on the floor and couch. Hang the guitars .. take them off the floor. Go with a musical entertainment theme.
March 15, 2013 at 3:28pm     
ReMax - Lisa
I think the wall is too small for more art work on it. I would just put a couple of large decorative pieces on the tv cabinet. Something chunky, like a statue and maybe a few substantial candle holders ( don't light them there though, too close to ceiling)
March 15, 2013 at 3:34pm   
asmasmi
1-Guitars can be hanged on the left side of unit.

2-A tall floor lamp can be placed between the right side of unit and the sofa. It will fill the empty space.

3- Vertical frames can be added to the right side wall.

4-Some collection of vases, books or artifacts can be placed on top of the unit, as well as the sheleves.

5-Some cushions and throws can be added to the sofs to give a warm feeling to the room. May be in blue colour which is in the carpet.
March 15, 2013 at 3:41pm   
Jeanne Crowley
You need color and texture - and window treatments. How married are you to that entertainment center? I think the cabinets to the left and right could go, and just use the base unit, as that just has a bridge unit connecting the two pier cabinets. As there is no structural integrity to the center piece, you cannot place anything on it. If you need to keep it, then I would find one long landscape formatted piece that has colors you can pick up in the window treatments. I think the room could Definitely benefit from some pattern as well.
March 15, 2013 at 3:46pm   
saltcitybabe
How about some large movie posters, like Gone With the Wind or John Wayne movie...you choose whatever you like. Add a big white sheepskin rug and some corresponding throws on the furniture. Would you consider painting the wall behind the tv rich buttery yellow?
March 15, 2013 at 3:47pm   
Kevin Retired Decorator
I would look for a very large tray 36" x48" or round 36" made of wicker or something to your liking and lean it against the wall slightly off centered. I would use a faux plant but in a long planter 36" long or longer with long trailing vines in it to the left and add 3 decorative pottery pieces in small to large sizes on the right in a grouping. I wouldn't hang anything on the wall it self. Or uses the guitars laying down together staggered instead of the pots.
March 15, 2013 at 4:12pm     
dyearthal
You could always paint some squares on the wall in different shades of one color. I agree with the comment about curtains to add some color to the room. An area rug with and maybe a bit more design then add some throw pillows to match.
March 15, 2013 at 4:12pm   
Southview Design
Paint the wall different than the others, then you really don't even need anything above the entertainment center. Here is an idea
March 15, 2013 at 4:33pm     
Living Life Photography
I like the idea of the guitars on the top of the entertainment center. I don't know that I would necessarily hang them. Maybe you could rest them sideways in some sort of holder or just leaning against the wall. Can't tell how far away from the wall the center is. That would make a difference in the resting against the wall and in a holder.
March 15, 2013 at 4:37pm     
101153
I would hang a large metal piece over the TV and place large baskets and pottery pieces, some upright and some on the side and have greenry spilling out. Make sure that the scale is right. Use larger scale rather than small scale. Have fun trying different looks to you find what you like.
March 15, 2013 at 4:48pm   
Rica
just curious, why do you feel the need to hang something above the tv stand? warm up the room with curtains on the windows, just those one sided one, not for all 3 windows. hang your guitars on wall as art pieces. or put vases in one of the small cutout window
March 15, 2013 at 5:23pm     
aurilla
Those beautiful guitars are your solution....if they are not used often, rest them above the tv unit horizontally or hang them mainly horizontally with a slight upward angle for the necks.This will bring the unit wall items to the same height as the windows. Lose the small plant, unless it can be used as filler with the quitars, you'll have to play that by ear. If th guitars need to be within easier reach, then hang them from wall between unit and windows (move unit slightly to add enough space on that side). The windows need long panels between each in a bright color and/or pattern to add some softness and interest (if there is a view). If you usually have them covered as shown, then lose the blinds and make them roman shades rather than panels. You might also add 3 or more glass items of various sizes and shapes on the 'sill' in front of each top window, in the same color as your curtains and you can add coordinating colors as well as clear. Add same (or coordinating) fabric pillows to each couch. You may also want to add a few low height coordinating colorful and/or interestingly-shaped items to the coffee table. Last, but not least, move the couch from the window to the opposite side of the rug/coffee table, to make the space more inviting.
March 15, 2013 at 6:31pm   
Vivian Rase
I wouldnt hang anything above but, I'm loving painted furniture right now. Would you consider painting the entertainment center and your coffee table/trunk in a deep blue/navy or perhaps a barn red....assuming those colors are in your rug?
Then I'd add varied heights of bird cages for an airy feel .... but be sure to use a few nice tall ones for height.
(The photos are for examples of color)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is that a dobro?
March 15, 2013 at 7:00pm   
mom2lala
Do
Mount 3 square shadow boxes (the same height and level with the small windows) on the wall above the unit, use with seasonal wood crafts

Do NOT
put things on top of the unit itself, especially large fake plants, small ones in the shadow boxes on the wall are enough

Do
Paint the wall behind the unit a bold brown color for better visual flow, also love the multicolored squares from above !

Do NOT
Hang the guitars up, or other cheesy framed art. I like your floor stands!

Do
Change the blinds, a wider slat in a matching wood would be perfect!

Do NOT
add dorky fabric curtains or valences to the windows, keep it simple!
March 15, 2013 at 7:12pm   
Dan Daugherty
I Like the Idea of an Odd number of Canvas prints in an offset pattern above the unit. If you are looking for more Drama, the idea of a metal wall piece would be a good choice. If you want even more drama and mood lighting, Try a custom Illuminated (lightning) wall sculpture. The one shown is vertical, but something similar, from one side to the other will wake up the whole room. Lights off when the TV is on, and lights on for mood lighting.
March 15, 2013 at 9:55pm   
mosaicrevival

Drapes are necessary and painting the tv wall a darker colour makes the TV less visible. I do find the unit unusual and the bridge doesn't work. Keep the centre and use the the other two ends else where. I do like the arrangement above for your room and you could hang the guitars on either side of the tv in place of art work. The guitars would show better on the darker wall as well. Hope this helps.
March 15, 2013 at 10:58pm     
Daniel Dionne Designs llc
I am confused by the recommendations to paint the wall behind the media cabinet a dark color. You have asked for suggestions on how to accessorize the piece, not make it disappear which would happen if you paint the wall behind it brown. (unless you WANT to minimize it) Lots of good ideas otherwise. You really DO need window treatments. I could see leaving the media unit clean as mom21ala suggested, but for God's sake, no wooden blinds. You already have a large heavy wood media cabinet and a heavy wood cocktail table in the space. Are the guitars used regularly? If so, they should be conveniently located in support of the lifestyle and functional practicality. So, leave them on their stands and hang wall decor above, but I must say, they feel out of place, so if there is another practical placement for them, they aren't really helping you move your room forward. Really would love to see more pics of the remaining area of the room in order to be sure that this focal area is integrated and balanced in the big picture.
March 16, 2013 at 1:56pm     
Marie Flanigan Interiors
I would do two small framed pieces of art on either side of the entertainment center. In order to keep it fresh and modern, keep the decorative items to a minimum. Perhaps an asymmetrical arraignment above of some glass jars and textural objects.
March 16, 2013 at 3:02pm   
Kathleen Coleman
I have nothing on top of my armoire..I have enough in my living room already. I think it's better to keep it simple.
March 16, 2013 at 11:40pm   
Kathleen Coleman
I would not keep the quitar's in the living room.I would keep them somewhere else.
March 16, 2013 at 11:42pm   
Kathleen Coleman
You can use plants and books.I love area rug's.
March 16, 2013 at 11:44pm   
pjaveryclark
Thanks to everyone for all the tips and comments. I can't respond to all as there too many. Subsequent to taking this picture I bought a large sectional so I can't rearrange the furniture as suggested. However, I will definitely add drapes, just straight panels, no valance. I appreciate the comment regarding painting the wall behind but I am concerned that will make the room too heavy on that side. I would like to introduce some color but I'm not sure where to draw the inspiration from as the rug is black and gold (and wasn't cheap). I am going to move the guitars to the man cave. I will lose the greenery too. I' m adding another photo and will do so again once I make some changes.
March 17, 2013 at 6:30am   
kathicouchart
Bring in Big colorful clay pots do a grouping of three in different sizes. To the right of the grouping do a piece of abstract art in colors.
March 17, 2013 at 8:46am   
Which color scheme?
Which color scheme and accessories do you like best...
Tap water or bottled water?
When you're thirsty, what do you grab - the tap and...
Master Bedroom Decor HELP
I've really struggled with the decor of my master bedroom....
Placement of art
Would like your opinion. I have some bird panels that...
help with basement shower
My shower is beside the toilet. It needs to stay in...