Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catnyc

Need design/color help

catnyc
11 years ago
I recently painted my NYC apt. The 14 x 20 living room walls were painted Glidden's creamy mocha (has a subtle pink tone) with one accent wall in smoky mauve (picture #3).The alcove bedroom, visible from LR was also accented on one wall with smoky mauve and natural linen (has green tones in it) (Picture #1). I have some questions about furnishing and color choices, since I'm replacing the couch, coffee table, dressers and a media cabinet for the flat screen. I am keeping my desk and a matching file cabinet (picture #4). I have purchased a leather recliner loveseat (Dario model from Macy's) and am flip flopping between grey and chestnut brown leather. Also trying to figure out what color and or pattern for a side chair, what color/or wood finish for dresser(s) and for the coffee table. Oh also, bought a beautifully bold patterned duvet cover at crate and barrel (picture #2) that as fab colors in it which became inspiration for the paint colors. I also am considering the Dawson dressers from crate and barrel -- I'll get two and use one to put TV on Im in my 40s and i love eclectic style, but I'm getting so confused and am second guessing everything. Which leather goes better, and any recommendations on side chair and rug? I love pops of color, but I want the end look to be sophisticated and tied together. Any advice appreciated. Thank you!

Comments (10)

• catnyc
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Sorry, pictures didn't attach properly. Trying to resend
  • catnyc
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Sorry, pictures didn't attach properly. Trying to resend individually
  • catnyc
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    One more thing: I'm seeing a lot of rugs I like that have grey tones. And i would love to find a chair in eggplant, maybe a velvet. But naturally I should get the slate couch if I'm leaning toward grey rugs. Problem is I've been told my paint colors are warm so going with a cold tone rug and couch doesn't jive.
  • elcieg
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    i think your issue is you painted first. I am not seeing the connection.
    Eclectic Living Room · More Info
    Noe Valley Three · More Info
    Lindy Donnelly · More Info
  • catnyc
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for your reply, Judy, but I'm confused by the pictures you posted? Did you mean to say more? Also, yes, I suppose painting first was a misstep, but it was not til after spending a lot of time looking at couches, tables, rugs, etc to get a feel for what I liked. And like I said, incorporating jewel tones and colors from the duvet cover are of interest to me. I'm not great with design or color, so I'm hoping some folks here might suggest ways to tie it together. Plus I've got anxiety about this couch purchase and whether to get the slate/grey or the chestnut/brown. It's already ordered so if I change it as to be soon.
  • catnyc
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Does anyone else have suggestions?
  • njcook53
    11 years ago
    I'm having a hard time picturing the gray couch with the wall colors you have. But I love the duvet and think a bright color picked from the pattern would be wonderful for a chair. If you do a brown couch, I think an eggplant chair would be too dark. If you walls have a greenish tint, you might consider a bright green.
  • catnyc
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you NJ. Green could be nice. The LR walls are a light tan with pink tones and a mauve accent wall, so yeah, I think you're right the brown couch is better. So if I go with the brown couch and a brightly colored chair, then do I go neutral on the rug color?
  • njcook53
    11 years ago
    You might consider a sisal rug with the trim color bringing in other colors from the duvet, or close to your chair color. It would add great texture!