Dining room blahs
saraindc
Help! Need to make some decisions on how to make my dining room more exciting.
collettec
You definitely could use art on the wall next to the table. I would go for centerpieces that have some height since you don't have a chandelier. If in the budget, pendant lamps over the island and a coordinating chandelier over the table would add to the space. A possible way to define the dining area near the table would be to paint the underside of the island facing the dining area a color and then add wainscoting to the wall from the area next to the island all the way to the dining cabinet and paint under the wainscoting the same color as the island base to define the space separately as a dining space.
March 15, 2013 at 6:23pm     
The overall decor looks good, just needs an accent wall color.
March 15, 2013 at 6:24pm     
Add artwork above the table. Perhaps it should be a pair of framed pictures, stacked one above the other so that it's different from the big piece of art to the left of the china cabinet.

The lighting appears to be a big part of the problem in that it is very uniform throughout. It's good that there is plenty of it, but not good that that is all there is. I would add sconces in the dining table area, one on each side of the art. If that's not possible, then place a floor lamp to the right of the china cabinet to light the table for dinner. Then I'd also add a floor lamp at the end of the sofa, to the left of the china cabinet.

Paint is another simple decorative device that solves many problems and I think a color on the china cabinet wall could make a big difference. It could be green or yellow or gray, or goodness knows any number of colors. I can't see enough of the space to see how it might relate to other colors. But you could inform us. All I see is white walls and brown furniture with a navy chair and yellow and red accents. There must be more.
March 15, 2013 at 6:25pm     
olldroo
There is no intimacy to the area. Can you move your table to align it with the end of the kitchen bench rather than having it against the wall. Add a runner and centrepiece to the table, a low hanging pendant over the table separately switched and artwork on the wall - I like Carolyn's suggestion - to finish off.
March 15, 2013 at 6:48pm     
saraindc
More pics below of the entire area for more context
March 15, 2013 at 6:49pm   
someone
Put a rug under the table. It looks too cold now. And maybe a rug in the living area too.
March 15, 2013 at 7:10pm     
What a pretty home you have. I love your large art piece over the sofa. I agree (as I usually do) with Carolyn Albert about the lighting. Layered lighting makes the room so much more intimate and interesting. Two art pieces at the dining area to mix it up. Dytecture wall color idea is excellent as well.

Hi Carolyn! We haven't "spoke" for a while. When we agree so much, it's hard to banter. :)
March 15, 2013 at 7:19pm     
You seem to have a nice sense of design. I like the colors you have put together, so I'd add a rug to the living area and lamps too! I cannot emphsize how important lighting is to a space. What is important in lighting is the creation of both light and shadow and to do this you will need dimmers on your lamps and overhead lighting.

I like olldroo's suggestion of a pendant light over the dining table. This plus the other dimmed light in the space will help create the intimacy that is lacking. I hope this helps you.
March 15, 2013 at 7:23pm     
@ Darzy, good to hear from you! You're a bright light in the Houzz world where lighting is so important! A big Texas hug to you!
March 15, 2013 at 7:30pm     
@Carolyn...a big Sunshine State hug back at ya!

saraindc..just a couple minor additions and you have a magazine cover worthy space. Great job!
March 15, 2013 at 7:52pm     
the essentials inside
I knew when I saw Carolyn, Darzy & Dytecture together in a thread, there'd be some great advice!

saraindc - there are a few other design dilemmas w/layouts very similar to yours. I'll see if I can find them so you can see how their spaces turned out.

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
March 15, 2013 at 8:01pm     
saraindc
@lyvonne - any other recommendations or examples?
March 17, 2013 at 1:31pm   
normalinda1
I think this Van Gogh print would look great in your space with the colors you currently have. http://www.allposters.com/-sp/The-Cafe-Terrace-on-the-Place-du-Forum-Arles-at-Night-c-1888-Posters_i2549012_.htm
Of course it would look best with a border and frame which you can do all online.
March 17, 2013 at 1:49pm     
the essentials inside
Hi saraindc & all!

saraindc - so far I've found this one -- http://www.houzz.com/discussions/324897/Storage-or-Seating-for-this-awkward-nook-

but I remember at least 2 more. I'll keep looking through my discussion list. :)

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
March 17, 2013 at 5:01pm   
the essentials inside
Here's one I was thinking of -- from styleathome.com -- http://www.styleathome.com/homes/small-spaces/small-space-interior-chic-condo/a/34325/2

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
March 17, 2013 at 5:26pm   
Dining room blahs for small space
Need suggestions and help. I am stuck! Dining room...
My Son's BLAH BLAH room...
This is my 8 year olds room. He loves it because it's...
Blah living room, ideas on wall color?
The dilemma is wall is current wall color luggage tan...
Breakfast Room Blahs
Hi All, I'm in a design rut. My unnecessarily large...
What decorative items do you hate the most?
It does not have to be overused or trend that should...
Need suggestions for updating china closet
Just painted dining room SW sand fossil, replaced light...
Really struggling with this small dining room!
I am starting a new thread with updated pictures for...
Layout issues
With the layout of this room, I am struggling to redecorate....
New Closet
I've just added a partial wall that will shape a nook...