Dining Room Ideas
ericabrock
My dining room looks so bland! I want to add color but don't know where! Rug, pillows, center piece? Thanks for the ideas! :-)
ericabrock
Another View...
March 15, 2013 at 8:29PM     
HI -- This is just so cute ! Can you get another bench like the one you have ,because I think you need two . Some people like rugs in dining rooms but I don't think it's good idea in your case. You want to add some color. The pass through wall needs to be a stronger color like a deeper gold.You could add some colorfull small lumbar pillows ,but I think you should replace the little mirror and side panels with maybe three same size Art discs or platters or squared framed prints or paintings. The chandelier is very nice but better suited for a rectangular table .
March 15, 2013 at 8:35PM     
Design Mode
What is your style? Favourite colour?
I think you should go mid-century modern. You can keep the wall treatment and the table.
Dig it!
]
March 15, 2013 at 8:36PM     
I agree with Lefty. It's great and I love the chandelier. I love the table too. But the chandy would look best with a rectangular table. Can you replace the glass top with a rectangular top to make it work?
March 15, 2013 at 8:39PM     
ericabrock
I have been debating on keeping the mirror or not. Think you maybe right on adding art work with fun pillows to match!
March 15, 2013 at 8:50PM     
ericabrock
@designmode I would say my style is transitional. I have a aqua colored theme going through my house now and Id like to continue it in this space. I love the collection of pictures you posted!
March 15, 2013 at 8:52PM   
kathleen MK
Actually i think you have use textures well to keep the neutral scheme from being boring, you can use pops of seasonal color in a centerpiece. Large handmade bowl of fruit or fresh flowers. In between the mirror and the side pieces you could hang bright plates or colorful art framed in a matching black lacquer. Colorful pottery on the bar would also add color. Or just let the food you serve stand out against a nice neutral background.
March 15, 2013 at 8:52PM     
HI -- Design Mode ! Your just so "Right on ,Man "-- Dig it Daddy O !
March 15, 2013 at 8:52PM     
ericabrock
@darzy The table is a new purchase so I will just have to make due and work around it ;-)
March 15, 2013 at 8:53PM   
ericabrock
@kathleenMK thanks! I like the idea of colorful pottery on bar and centerpiece.
March 15, 2013 at 8:55PM   
Paulette Pinheiro
Amazing..... I have just thought about having a little sofa, two armchairs and an oval table for a breakfast nook in a kitchen corner and "voilà" it appears on HOUZZ!
March 15, 2013 at 8:57PM     
Bickhaus Homes
How about this on the back wall. It'll spice it right up!
http://m.sherwin-williams.com/mt/www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6321-red-bay/

I'd also opt for one large mirror vs two smaller pieces on that same wall.

What a pretty space ! Have Fun!
March 15, 2013 at 9:02PM     
ericabrock
@paulette great minds!! ;-)
March 15, 2013 at 9:03PM   
ericabrock
@bickhaushomes what a beautiful color... However it wouldn't match my chairs...
March 15, 2013 at 9:05PM   
capecodgal
The dining room looks great! A few colorful lumbar or small square pillows would add a pop of color in the two arm chairs. You could also add a long lumbar pillow to run the length of the settee in say a pop of turquoise and orange? Something unexpected for color would be fun. Joss and Main has great pillows, as does ETSY where you could order a custom pillow, as there is incredible talent on that website! Also, what about adding a rug for color? West Elm has some reasonably priced rugs that add interest in both color and texture without breaking the bank. Fresh flowers as a centerpiece on the table would look modern, add a little more "life" and hopefully make you smile. :) Good luck!
March 15, 2013 at 9:17PM     
Bickhaus Homes
Oh wow....They look so much darker on the original photo. I'm on from my phone as well. How about this.
http://m.sherwin-williams.com/mt/www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6523-denim/

The furniture is great! It's the wall that makes the space feel drab.
March 15, 2013 at 9:18PM     
ericabrock
@capecodgal what great ideas! Thanks! I was thinking of a rug too! But what kind? Circle, square, colored, neutral, print???
March 15, 2013 at 9:20PM   
ericabrock
@bickhaushomes your right, I don't know why it looks so dark... That denim blue is beautiful! That would really make a POP! Thank you ;-)
March 15, 2013 at 9:22PM     
studio10001
Your mirror trio might look nice over the cutout wall , w the side pieces running horizontally.
March 15, 2013 at 9:24PM     
ericabrock
@studio10001 that WOULD be unique on this wall...
March 15, 2013 at 9:35PM   
studio10001
This is a spot where Olefin and indoor/ outdoor can make sense..I'm thinking rectangular with just the front legs of the bench included?
March 15, 2013 at 9:40PM     
capecodgal
I would get a rectangular rug. Make sure the rug is large enough so that when the two end chairs are pulled out, they are not "half on/half off" the rug. If you look at West Elm's website, I am thinking a Dhurrie rug as they are thinner than most rugs and can be fairly easy to clean. I would go with a pattern, and there are many to choose from with several 30% off right now on many styles. I have both the Jute Chenille Herringbone Rug in Ivory & Tan, as well as the Zigzag Rug in Platinum in my home and love them! I am not saying these two particular rugs will be the one for your space, but I am very happy with the quality of the rugs and the price cannot be beat. There are more colorful Dhurrie rugs on the site which you may be drawn to for that "pop" you are looking for. Check them out......
March 15, 2013 at 9:40PM     
studio10001
That works, too!
March 15, 2013 at 9:41PM   
studio10001
(Mirrors AND dhurrie)
March 15, 2013 at 9:44PM   
ericabrock
Thanks @capecodgal i will check them out for sure!
March 15, 2013 at 9:46PM   
Bickhaus Homes
Oh No ! Erica ....One of the things I'm loving about this space is the clean contrast between the dark and light woods. With the glass table it shows so nicely. It would be a shame to cover the space with a rug.....Booooo!
March 15, 2013 at 10:10PM     
George Paulose
i wand make dress caboards ca u give godd design i m from india kerala
March 15, 2013 at 10:42PM   
momof5x
I agree with the comments on the chandelier, it seems it was meant for a rectangular table. I like the idea of the round table but I am personally not sure I would put a bench with a round table unless it was in a corner and making an L shape. I would probably bring in another two chairs- making it four. Place some nice table linen ( or place mats) on the table of at least a vase of flowers. On the breakfast bar area, a bowl of fruit or just a long beautiful clear vase filled with lemons or oranges. Some wall art and a couple of tall indoor plants at either side of the wall where bench is located. It just need colour and a change of wall art. The other option as mentioned above, would be to change the table, add another bench on opposite side, then it will work with the chandelier too.
March 15, 2013 at 11:01PM     
It's a Beautiful World!
If you would like to introduce cooler colors you have in the rest of your house, perhaps, something like this will work. Also, this particular image will add debth to the room visually, just like mirrors do. And you can then move the mirror to the other wall, so you will add more space visually from two sides instead of one. You can also add a large rug featuring blues similar to those in the artwork which will tie your dining room with other rooms... Raisa http://ben-and-raisa-gertsberg.artistwebsites.com/featured/triple-perspective-ben-and-raisa-gertsberg.html
March 16, 2013 at 12:14AM     
Darken cabinets or paint light with glaze
I have just started kitchen remodel. It is a fairly...
brick wine cellar or turn into mudroom
we have this small wine rack that since moving into...
How many walls should I paint?
I've started painting a guest room in a quilted fashion...
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...
Please help me create a romantic bedroom!
I saw this quilt in the PB store, fell in love with...