Need help with curb appeal
Frank Wallace
March 15, 2013
This is an 80's Ranch style home that needs some much needed work on outside to go with the inside. Thinking about adding porch or overhang to the entry along with a covered walk. Looking for ideas to make this place look great. Please help.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Sigrid
I'm not a fan of beige, so I'd paint the wood, but that may be personal taste. I'd paint the door a brighter color. I wonder if you'd have a better look if you lined the back of your shades with a color, rather than that blank white.

I'd plant a climber or espaliered fruit tree against your long brick wall on the left. If it's facing south, you have a lot of choice and can probably grow a tree that's marginal for your climate. If it's facing north, choose carefully. I'd pick something with flowers or fruit. Espaliering is fun, but takes some care. Climbing roses can often be low maintenance, but you need to pick carefully for your climate. Climbing hydrangeas are nice and I think the sort of plant-it-and-forget-it thing. I live in the north, so you may have a lot of options that don't leap to mind, since I don't pay a lot of attention to plants I can't plant, but if you can do it, espalier a fig!

I'd probably move the walk further from the wall and plant up your planter, with a biggish bush in front of the chimney, lower perennials under the windows.

You want to pay attention to year-round looks. Holly and rhodos are evergreen. Rhodos like forest edge, which is sunny opening (ie front lawn) in woods (like the trees behind your house). Pay attention to final size. You also want your bloom season to continue throughout the year and to be low maintenance. Walk around your neighborhood and see what is common. Talk to neighbors who garden. Visit your local gardening club, even if it is, as I suspect it might be, largely women of a different generation from you.

If you are really organized, you can get your planter colors to coordinate with your door and wood (if you decide to paint it). (ie yellow/peach/orange)

For the path, experiment with stakes and/or a garden hose and use your planned path before you actually make it real.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 9:55PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Susan Jacobs
I'd say paint the wood with a dark gray that works with the brick. I know the photo below does not have the same brick you do, but it gives you the idea...
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 10:13PM