I need help in my living room color scheme
amisty
Am renting a house where Im not allowed to paint or put anything on walls. the color of the wall is white and the ceiling is white. i have a black sofa, wood TV console and wood bookshelf, i want to make my living room color scheme a black, green and white, so please help me by suggesting the color of rug, throw pillows, accessories, drapes and curtain rods. Please pardon my English, is not my first language.
Kevin Retired Decorator
Well they do have adhesive hooks now that don't mark the walls from 3M So that will help you get some things on your walls. Really need a photo to help you best. In the bedroom a large tension rod across a solid wall of curtains would be a way to bring in color into the room. I would get colorful window coverings for sure.
March 16, 2013 at 2:18am     
Any photos of what your space currently looks like with the furniture ?
March 16, 2013 at 5:37am   
Kevin Retired Decorator
What color is your green ? Teal, Lime, sage, it would really help to have some photos
March 16, 2013 at 6:38pm   
amisty
I'm trying to attach photos of my living room. I'm ready to change or to buy anything else in here except for sofas, they are new. Thank u for your response.
March 17, 2013 at 4:14am   
amisty
That first picture is a view from diningroom to front door, which is opening directly to the living room. Olldbobbi I realy like the green an white ikat curtains. Kevin is that hooks strong enough to carry a big artwork?
March 17, 2013 at 4:24am   
amisty
Another photo
March 17, 2013 at 4:37am   
amisty
Oops, I din't know I posted the same photo, ok here is the last one. Hope this helps. Thanx again, please please I realy need your help my living room is a disaster.
March 17, 2013 at 4:51am   
olldroo
Definitely go for a lime green - like in the colour of Bobbi's ikat curtains - it will really lift and cheer your room. I would keep everything in your 3 colours, maybe a touch of orange or yellow if necessary, carefully mixing plains and patterns. Probably a plain green rug would be safest and let you use patterns in the curtains and throw cushions.

Hooks will usually state on the packet what weight they will take, but you will probably be best keeping to small to medium sized prints. If you find some canvas prints, these are usually very light and can be attached at several points using velcro tape, that is also easy to remove.
March 17, 2013 at 5:00am   
amisty
Thank you olldroo, what do you think about using an ottoman of the same fabric as sofas, will it be too much? I have a two years child using a coffee table will be dangerous. And how about this decoration on top of bookshelf, what to remove and what to add? Photos will be helpful.
March 17, 2013 at 5:28am   
amisty
Here it is
March 17, 2013 at 5:32am   
olldroo
I'm not reading your room well at all. You seem to have two seating areas and neither of your sofas are facing the TV. Maybe you need to rethink the whole area, it is very narrow, which doesn't help. You seem to be off to a good start with the black and white cushions and the lime green one. The red and beige carpet is not working and I feel a plain lime green one considerably brighten the room.

Can you hide the power board at all? It doesn't look very tidy and I am concerned about it there with a 2 year old. I'm not sure what the bookshelf is you mention.

Definitely an ottoman instead of a coffee table - kids seem to find sharp corners too easily, but can we look at how your area is organised first - why the 2 sitting areas??
March 17, 2013 at 5:40am   
olldroo
OK, LOVE elephants. Shouldn't they have their trunks up in the house? Don't know if that is superstition or feng shui. I think I would remove the two glass candleholders and keep the black ones to tie in the elephants. I'm not sure what else is there that is red but I would delete that too. It would be handier to have a photo taken front on to get better perspective and include more of the furniture. I think I would put the two candlesticks side by side at one end, the flowers at the other and the elephants in the middle.
March 17, 2013 at 5:56am   
amisty
I'm in the middle of arranging furnitures, I will have one seating and a dining where the bookshelf is, I hope you will help me suggesting the arrangement.
March 17, 2013 at 6:20am   
olldroo
Talk more tomorrow, I have to get to bed.
March 17, 2013 at 6:25am   
amisty
I hope this photo will help, the small couch and fake tree at the corner will go, I'll buy a new flat screen tv and a new tv console what color do you suggest? I'm sorry with this trouble but I realy need your help. Thanx
March 17, 2013 at 6:27am   
amisty
Here's the pic
March 17, 2013 at 6:31am   
Kevin Retired Decorator
To me the floors are really bring down the space. I would get a carpet remnant in a grey shag and cover all of the tile floor and even in to the carpeted area. I would go wall to wall with a rug. Do you have 2 rugs down ? I would try to treat the whole space as one. I wouldn't use a small rug between the sofas or at all. This is a small narrow room. I would get a wall mounted TV with no stand. If you could give the measurements of the entire room width & length. Maybe even draw it out with windows & doors and take a picture of the plan with the measurements on it . Having the chair behind the sofa isn't working. I think a color scheme could be Black, grey, lime & Aqua. Remove the colors of the rug & reds in the room. I would try putting the sofa on the longest wall & the other sofa out in front of the door. About 4' into the room. so you would walk around it when you come in to the front door. Then put your chair facing into the room where it is now.
March 17, 2013 at 5:45pm   
olldroo
Kevin - you are ahead of me working this out. I think the floor is lino and not well laid at that so your idea of a carpet remnant is excellent, I'm just not sure what Stay's budget is. I still feel there is more to this room beyond the sofa so definitely a plan would be a huge help. I love aqua and lime together - just a bit worried the area might be too small to take too much but once we get the whole picture it will become easier.

Stay, I notice you are in Tanzania, do you have a lot of choice of products?
March 17, 2013 at 6:31pm   
amisty
thank you all for your suggestions i'll try moving the sofas as kevin suggested, olldroo yes we have a lot of products choices in Tanzania and budget is not a problem, i'll buy or remove anything. what do you think of putting a black and white rug all over the place?
March 18, 2013 at 12:50am   
amisty
the living area is 12 feet width to 27 feet length and it has two doors on one wall where the tv console is. the first door is 2 feet away from the front door it goes to the kitchen, the second door is 11 feet away from the first door. the other wall has a big window and the last wall is a long wall without doors or windows.
March 18, 2013 at 12:54am   
amisty
Any more ideas on how to arrange my furnitures?
March 18, 2013 at 4:35am   
olldroo
Is your dining room included in this? You have what looks like single chair area then the area with the TV and 2 lounges, but it looks like there is more after that. Is the window in the photo the window you refer to i.e. do you have two windows in the room at opposite ends or only one.
March 18, 2013 at 4:53am   
amisty
i have a single chair area and is where i want put the dining, and the area where the TV is, i have two windows at opposite ends thats all. i don't know if i answered you right. thank you
March 18, 2013 at 5:03am   
amisty
do you think the dining will fit in here? if not what other option do you think will work here?
March 18, 2013 at 5:17am   
amisty
if this confuses you i'll try to sketch a map of the place may be that will help.
March 18, 2013 at 5:29am   
olldroo
OK, of course I can't find a photo that gives me exactly what I want but this one is close enough so you understand what I am trying to say - I'm not always good at describing things. .

[houzz=Kara Weik © 2012 Houzz]

Depending on the size of your dining table of course, I don't see any reason why the room can't combine an lounge and dining. Put your table at the end you want either running it down the room or across the room according to size. Then put your two sofas at right angles to each other, one along the long windowless wall and the other under the window. The single chair can then make up a U shape, leaving the lounge and dining open to each other to move around. Then put your TV on the wall opposite the long wall at the best spot for good visibility from all chairs. If you decide to wall mount it, do not put it up high, like it is in this photo, or you will end up with neck aches.

As you seem to have things to store an entertainment unit would look nice and it seems you have plenty of room for a good sized one so you could have as much or as little as you like. Personally I always feel storage never goes astray, cupboards or shelving underneath could hold baskets for your son's toys, for example. Again I can't find much in minimum sized units, but you can see you have a lot of options, depending on what your stores stock. Do you have an Ikea? They have some nice entertainment units.

With that U-shape you will have room for an ottoman. You could also put an end table in the corner created by the two sofas adjoining, that your little boy shouldn't come to harm with. Would you have problems with lamps with him? I'm thinking a lamp on the corner table and a floor standing reading light near the single chair

When you say black and white carpet, what did you have in mind? I notice in one photo the lino doesn't seem to have been laid well at all, so I think if you can cover as much of it as possible, it will give you room a nicer look.

[houzz=Custom Home in South Tampa]

[houzz=Lexington Home Brands]

[houzz=119-New Duo Note Entertainment Unit]
March 18, 2013 at 6:06am   
amisty
Hello, im very sorry for not responding in two days, my son was sick I was taking care of him. Ok. Olddroo I have already moved things as you suggested and iam very happy with the results it made my room looks good already, thank you very much you have got the decoration eye. But i think the lamps will be a big problem with my son, he is very active. what do you think I can put instead of lamps, and the color of rug do you think a grey rug will be perfect? The carpet I mentioned above is like some kind of tile, i wanted to put a wall to wall carpet in the whole area and the rug to define a sitting area, what do you think? And I want to put a tree where do you think I can put it, and what about the color of entertainment unit white will work? thank you so much
March 19, 2013 at 11:54pm   
amisty
what about this end table? if yes should i paint it another color? green or orange?
March 20, 2013 at 12:50am   
amisty
and this dining table, with four black chairs
March 20, 2013 at 1:16am   
Kevin Retired Decorator
It sounds like you arranged the furniture as I and olldroo has mentioned. I would go with a tone on tone light gray carpet.in a low pile wall to wall for the entire room. Then I would look for a thick shag area rug in lime green to define the living area. It could be a solid or better yet a bold stripe or wave design with lime, black & white in it. It would be fine for other colors to be in the rug too. Just something that would be dominate in the lime green. Then I would add toss pillows in the lime green and possibly a 3rd color from the rug (white) with a lot of texture. Or Zebra print would be sharp with the black & lime green. I would add a bench size storage ottoman in black for a coffee table that could store toys and you could use a silver metal tray on it to set drinks down. I would do with the icat lime green curtains for both ends of the room. I would go with a brite white console, more like a dresser with drawers for the TV. Something about 30"s tall and 5' long and 18"s deep. That would hold most TVs up to 40 " screen which I wouldn't go any bigger for the room. You could place floor matching plants on each side of the console for height and color. A faux bamboo plant would look great. I would place 2 coordinating art pieces canvas wrapped for above the sofa. They wouldn't be heavy and you could use the 3M hooks I mentioned before. Hang them 6"s above the sofa no higher so they looked anchored to the furniture and will be at eye level when sitting down. I would look for art 24"x36" aprox for each . Look for Giclee's they are reproduction prints that look like fine art. Wayfair.com has nice art also Art.com I would look for abstracts or a abstract flower with a bit of the lime color in them but not to much just some lime in them to pull the room together. For end
tables I would look for a square shape for between the sofas and a set of stacking tables for the other end of the sofa on the long wall. I would try to find something in black silver distressed metal or a silver metal frame and glass inserts. If that will work safely with kids for you. If not I would look for black gloss wood tables. If you can't use table lamps I would look for some paper mache' or resin out door pottery or vases and add some dried sticks in them for height. or out door sculptures in resin. Or even wicker boxes stacked up would be nice to give a finished look. They do have some plastic chargers in silver finish that you could place one on a plate stand holder for one of the end tables. or lay flat with some orbs laying on the charger. In fact a charger like that would be nice on the ottoman as well. A tourche' / floor lamp would work nice near the stack tables. I think the dining table is nice but might be just to much black if you go with black end tables too. I will try and post some other options for you. Your room will be beautiful when your done.
March 20, 2013 at 2:21am   
March 20, 2013 at 2:27am   
March 20, 2013 at 2:31am   
Kevin Retired Decorator
http://www.wayfair.com/Eurostyle-Zelda-End-Table-21240-EY1250.html A possible end table These & above posted are just some ideas of looks you may like.
March 20, 2013 at 2:44am   
Kevin Retired Decorator
March 20, 2013 at 2:46am   
Kevin Retired Decorator
http://www.wayfair.com/Wildon-Home-%AE-Thorndike-2-Piece-Nesting-Tables-012184-CST8419.html They have end tables to match this one. I have these tables and love them. They have to be assembled but with 2 people they are easy DYI
March 20, 2013 at 2:49am   
Kevin Retired Decorator
March 20, 2013 at 2:51am   
olldroo
Hi Stay, sorry to hear your son has been ill. I do hope he has fully recovered. It is pretty heart wrenching having them ill at this age, they just don't understand what is happening to them.

Well I'm so pleased to hear you have tried my suggestions and are happy with them. It is going to be hard to visualise a lot of fine details but you will be the one living with it so I prefer you to make absolute final choices according to what feels right for you.

Kevin - you have come up with some great ideas but there are two stumbling blocks -

Firstly the poster lives in Tanzania so could have limited access to many things, we don't have half the stuff here in Australia that is in the US.
Secondly she has a very active two year old and that has to be taken into consideration in such a restricted space.

As far as Kevin's suggestions go, I don't advise putting a rug over a carpet, the backing on the rug will rub the pile on the carpet and that is not good for it. I really like Kevin's suggestion of a light grey shag carpet it will make your room look bigger and will be nice for your son to play on. You mentioned you would like an ottoman in lieu of a coffee table, so you could choose one with a simple pattern and that would take the place of a rug to define the sitting area.

As far as lamps go, if you have your two sofas at right angles to each other, you will have a corner with walls on two sides and a lamp should be fairly safe there. At the other end of the sofa where you will have another corner with the single chair you can also have a table partially protected, If you put a large plant beside the open side of the table and basically in the dining area, this will help block the table off from your son. You could even put two plants side by side to enclose the corner. As far as lamps go, if you choose something with a metal or timber base, you will find them pretty childproof.

I think white for the entertainment unit would be nice to lift the room. The black lounges are enough for the room.

While a glass dining table and glass end tables would be nice to visually enlarge the room, these are not an option with a 2 year old. I do like the idea of the black chairs though or with leather or vinyl that can be wiped clean you could have white chairs that will brighten the area. Not sure if you have a dining setting yet.

You mentioned you would like an ottoman instead of a coffee table which I totally agree with so you could use this to bring in some colour instead of a rug. I would keep to a fairly simple pattern and bring in the lime green with off white and maybe even some aqua blue - depending on what you can buy. You could have one large ottoman, two smaller ones or even four, depending on your taste and needs. Having them done with storage would be a further bonus, especially for toys as Kevin mentioned. Some ideas, including pattern ideas - just make sure you can get fabric and curtains in the same shade that will co-ordinate. It is really quite a business trying to tie everything together before you commit.

[houzz=Decorating with Orange
charlotte]

[houzz=Baker Family Room]

[houzz=Kids Play Area]

[houzz=ID0028 - East 27th Ave
vancouver]

I love the fact you want plants - I can't live without them, a jungle isn't enough for me. This is one of my favourite rooms on Houzz. Put a plant where ever you have a blank space, they can take the place of artwork on the walls - as long as the little one doesn't take to eating the dirt. If you have room, you could even continue plants across behind the single lounge chair to divide off the diving and lounge area a little. I did see a room on Houzz once where that was done, but I can't find it now.

Ooops nearly forgot - yes I do like that end table, personally I would go for a square one to maximise table top space, but that is really nice. You could actually put a square one in the corner of the room and then have that round one at the dining end, but it seems a pity to hide that pedestal. Alternatively and depending on what space you will have in your dining area, you could use that in a corner with a plant on it or a drinks tray if you were entertaining. I would not paint it, the problem with painting is that once you start to paint you paint forever. Black will always go with everything.

Looks like it is shopping time for you to see just what you can get. Have fun and get back to us when you have some things organised.

[houzz=2009 Southern Accents Showhome]
March 20, 2013 at 4:18am   
amisty
hello kevin thank you so much i really like the suggestions you gave me, i'll start shopping immediately. and the ideas on end tables is real great, i think i'll find something similar to that. you have been a great help to me thank you so much.
March 20, 2013 at 4:38am     
amisty
olldroo i appreciate your concern for my son, he is fine now thank you. yes we don't have many things from US. Many things here are from China. ok. i'll start shopping and get back to you for more suggestions.
March 20, 2013 at 5:16am     
Recreate and Decorate
Being military and moving and renting often, I understand the landlord rules of no nails in the wall. We use 3m hooks for almost everything! Including curtain rods. Make sure you buy the ones for the proper weight. And let it sit an hour before hanging something on it. I could not live without 3m's!
March 20, 2013 at 5:28am   
amisty
thank you Wanda i'll make sure to choose the perfect hooks.
March 20, 2013 at 6:13am   
Kevin Retired Decorator
FYI all my posted furniture ideas are from Wayfair,com and they do have a site for Australia That's why I posted from that country. I would check the site out. I have bought a lot from them.
March 20, 2013 at 7:52pm   
olldroo
Kevin, thank you, that site looks amazing, I think I will need a week to go through it. Prices look great too except they don't have a lot of description of what the finish is and some don't even have sizes. I can see lots of time wasting here, but it it saves me driving to the shops then I'm happy.

Interesting, I have done lots of Google searching for an entertainment unit for example and this site has never come up.
March 20, 2013 at 11:46pm     
amisty
Hello there, can't seem to have perfect words to express my gratitude for what you did to me. My living room has transformed from blah to wow, I thought it was a simple job but it took me two whole weeks i don know may be and few days to complete my project. But without your help I would't have done that. Thank you so much Olldroo, Kevin and all others who posted their ideas to help me. I not good at taking pictures but I'll definitely find someone to take pictures for me and I'll post. Thank you so very much. I hope you will assist me in my next project my bedroom. Can I thank you in swahili? AHSANTE SANA.
April 5, 2013 at 2:18am   
Kevin Retired Decorator
And I Thank you Too ! & God Bless you & your family in your new home.
April 5, 2013 at 2:22am     
amjwpe
Just found this thread and I love all the suggestions from everyone. Can we see pics of the newly decorated space?
April 7, 2013 at 7:31am   
amisty
Im working on it amjwpe, i'll post the pictures soon.
April 8, 2013 at 1:08am     
I need help with color scheme in my new living room.
My living room is 24 ft by 15ft into the alcove by...
I need help with my living room colour scheme
I am doing a full rebuild to our old hardwood house...
need help for color scheme for my living room
Kindly me decide, which color should be used for living...
Need help picking a color scheme for my living room
Hi, I'm a new mom of twins and a new homeowner. I have...
What color should I paint this small bedroom?
Main floor is getting painted next week. Mostly SW...
what goes with a teal couch??
I have this light teal couch and love seat and have...
What is the best gas double oven that's out today?
I currently own a Thermadore professional and It's...
How Can We make this bedroom feel more comfortable?
I love everything about our home, but I have never...
Need trim, ceiling and cabinet color help!
My house will be open concept when its done and I want...