Help with urgent decision on lighting in kitchen/eating area/great room? argh?!
akcorcoran
So, I am going round and round on the lighting for our kitchen/table/great room. I would really love your opinions as designers and (better) judges of space and color and proportion. Each sort of hinges on the other which has sent us down the rabbit hole (or tile sinkhole!)

So, the original plan was two lanterns over the island, a chandelier over the table (will go between the two rooms) and the a drum of some sort over the great room seating area. But the lanterns were black and went with the original granites I was looking at. Now I've gone in a diff direction.

I'll post pics but my kitchen is 16' x 16', and we have a full size fridge and freezer (counter depth) taking up 2 ft on the left side as you look in, so it's not your typical layout. It's more of a perpendicular island than the trad'l horizontal one. Our sink is behind it (perpendicular) and I do want to be able to stand there and see the fireplace without ducking around lights. Our ceiling is 9 1/2' high. We have four recessed small lights on the corner of the island and four larger ones in the outside perimeter of the kitchen walkway and LED lighting under the counter.

So the stone and backsplash is set - pics also below of the granite and backsplash. The four glass tiles are the colors in the backsplash feature by the stovetop. The backslash is 4x4s laid straight against counter, then border, then 4x4s on the diagonal from there up.)

PS First pics are the things that are set - kitchen perspective, floor plans. Showing you two views of the kitchen b/c the second one (where you can see the stovetop) is the view you see when you come in from the butler's pantry. Next post is granite, backsplash.

Thanks!!! (Pls stick with me to get to the lights - :-)
akcorcoran
Now the stone and backsplash, which are set - pics. The backsplash is 4x4s laid straight against counter, then border, then 4x4s on the diagonal from there up.)
March 16, 2013 at 7:26AM   
akcorcoran
Options:
A) an open style of lantern that is round - one in the center. Two below - one is more a lantern shape, the other a pendant: Two attached: Currey and co Fitzjames lantern (also only one - wide and tall); Currey and Co Fitzjames pendant (one one - it's wide in diameter)

B) a basketweave - still open but some visual interest up against the cream/bronze glaze cabinets. I worry it's too busy with the yay granite but friends say it's cream back there - granite is horizontal.)
(Side note: are there really glare issues with an open light in the kitchen?)
Two attached: Dury - Silver leaf / bronze basketweave pendant (taller one 23" tall x 20" wide, would use one only over island. Sort of picks up pattern in border or more the diagonal 4x4s - or both? Could do slightly shorter 20" wide over island, maybe taller one in great room sitting area but 2 of the same light?)

NEXT POST OF PICTURES
C) a combo metal and then drum shade, either one big one (the Sausalito lg pendant) or the two narrow, vertical ones

D) industrial - it's a little heavy to me and I worry that it's just trendy now but it could be pretty and be a different look.But it mixes in a different look and I like copper for the Bordeaux color - could also see a satin nickel or antique brass?

Then - it sort of rolls from there - if we did one option, then I may choose the chandelier (cascade Currey and co is below) or go with that big Sausalito one over the table instead (a little more modern?) or the Sausalito in the hearth room bc you can see it from the living room.

Everything hinges off the island, to me. Help?!
March 16, 2013 at 7:34AM   
What's Inside Design Ltd.
Do you have a "reflected ceiling plan" by chance?
Has electrical been planed for 1, 2 or 3 pendents over the island?
March 16, 2013 at 7:38AM   
akcorcoran
LAST BUT NOT LEAST -

C) Sausalito picks up the patterns in the stone perfectly, but not sure how good the light would be and if the white/cream would match? Could also use over the table OR in our great room?

D) Industrial - comments above

And, then the chandelier I was thinking of for over the table - Currey and Co, Cascade?

But, as I said, it all hinges off the island, I think?
March 16, 2013 at 7:42AM   
Dwellings LLC
I like the simplicity of the First Light, I'm calling it a bird cage over the island. The granite is stunning and your eye will go to the back splash when you're in the room. This light over the island will provide some visual interest without taking over the room.
March 16, 2013 at 7:43AM     
akcorcoran
Hi - not sure what reflected ceiling means, so I'm guessing no?

Electrical has been planned for TWO pendants but easy enough to go down to one. Going to three wouldn't be possible.

There is recessed lighting on all four corners of the island, but small (planned for drama, not work) and there are four recessed lights in all the walkway areas, recessed over the sink AND LED lighting under the cabinets. :)
March 16, 2013 at 7:44AM   
akcorcoran
OH - reflected ceiling plan probably means the ceiling? I do have this - it's super rough but it probably helps. :)

Should add that the table is way out of proportion here _ probably all the furniture is but I wanted to just put something there.

Xs are recessed. red is lamps on sofa table. lavender boxes were/are the lanterns/pendants over the island.

This is BEFORE I considered going to one big one. One of the reasons for that was that you could see it equally from all sides/entrances to the kitchen (and there are many!)
March 16, 2013 at 7:49AM   
What's Inside Design Ltd.
:) That's the one! Thank you!
Since you have lots of beautiful lighting, especially around your island with the 4 corner pots, I would recommend one central fixture. (2 might be overkill)
I have digitally added my "vote" for you. (please keep in mind it's not to scale)
Also, to address the issue of glare, you will always get some reflection off a high gloss surface like granite, but this will not be too bad with the fixtures you're considering.
The copper fixture would be the worst for glare as the light is directed downward.
Good luck and have fun...what an exciting time for you!
Caroline :)
March 16, 2013 at 8:00AM     
HI -- Looks like that is going to be a great kitchen /family room. You have to think about just how many things you want hanging down from the ceiling. Sometimes in a big room like that , once you get the island lighting and then the dining area and so on . Then there are so many things hanging then the over all visual gets very cluttered looking . I have seen it so many times even in show homes . So apart from that , Restoration Hardware has wonderful fixtures . There are several hanging square ones that would go with your island . And they also have matching for over the dining table and so on.
March 16, 2013 at 8:04AM   
Dwellings LLC
Based upon your floor plan , you are going to have many elements in the way of a clear view from the sink to the fireplace besides the lighting. Dining table, sofa table w/ 2 lamps, sofa and drum light over family room. The only clear view of the fireplace will be when you're sitting on the sofa. Your choices are spot on, I like the sausolito light for over the kitchen table, it matches too perfectly to be over the island.
March 16, 2013 at 8:05AM     
akcorcoran
Wow - that's kind of amazing! I think the placement on the ceiling plan is a little off - the light over the table is a bit further back and the lamps on the sofa table are wider than shown BUT I think it's still a pretty big distance. Not likely standing at the island / sink and enjoying the fireplace. But I do think the openness might be key.

I do think the Sausalito is spot on so over the table or over in the great room centered over the fireplace (there is a semi-flush version) might bring that element into that room?

my husband is pushing for a ceiling fan there but i worry that the recessed lighting are all wall washers or drama lights (Lightoliers - my husband's choice!)

I'm so glad I posted here! So helpful!
March 16, 2013 at 8:16AM   
akcorcoran
Ok, so I'm back with a follow up question.

If I go with one of the open Currey & Co's (of course, $!), I was thinking of breaking up the lighting in the three areas with different shapes.

So if I went with the lantern birdcage Currey, then maybe a drum over the table? The only thing is that I have to watch the vertical lighting over by the fireplace bc my hubby wants to put a tv over the fireplace. (Ugh - but I have a living room with art over the historic fireplace, so I've got to give him something!)

If I went with the rounder Currey that What's the Design posted in the awesome rendering (so helpful!), I would consider a vertical chandelier over the table and then back to a drum over the family seating area. Maybe the Sausalito even?

What do you think of that plan?

I thought about two lights over the table but planning on the two lamps.

If I did the latter, I would have one round/horiz open drum over the island, chandelier or vertical over the table, two lamps on the outside of the sofa table and back to drum semi-flush or flush mount in center by fireplace.

Thoughts? I so value your opinions and am so happy that you both voted for the same style. That's so helpful. :-)
March 16, 2013 at 9:32AM     
akcorcoran
Oops - it's Caroline that did the rendering (and her designer name is What's Inside Design Ltd) that did the awesome rendering above. Wanted to make sure I corrected that to give credit where credit is due! :-)
March 16, 2013 at 9:57AM   
What's Inside Design Ltd.
Hi again,
I'm glad you found the rendering helpful!
When I took my training in lighting design, one of the most valuable things I learnt was:
"In a space with a proper lighting plan, there should actually be sufficient light without a general light source."
For this reason, I think you could get away without a general light source in your living room.
I understand your concern with "wall washers" as the only overhead light source, however......
With those two lamps, plus, what looks to me like wall sconces on either side of the fireplace, I don't think a general light source will be needed in that room.
This will help with the sight lines to your husbands TV as well as needing to choose another fixture. (Which could get too busy!)
Caroline
p.s. Do you have outlets in the floor for those console lamps?
p.s.s This would be my choice for over your table:
March 16, 2013 at 10:53AM   
akcorcoran
Totally on the same wave length!

I originally thought I didn't need anything, which is why my hubby pushed for a fan since we have an outdoor exit to a covered porch. And the fireplace.

But those are actually wall washers by the fireplace, not sconces. There are windows on either side of the fireplace - with drapes I can close - but no lighting on that side unless I put a standing light by the chair - which isn't really general light. So all the light on the perimeter is wall washers. Does that affect your thinking at all?
March 16, 2013 at 11:32AM     
What's Inside Design Ltd.
My apologies, it's hard to see, I thought those pots were sconces attached to the wall. :)

I love the two spots intended to graze your drapery!
(excellent choice...it will look amazing at night!)

Yes, I still believe you're good with just the two lamps and wall washers.

Caroline
March 16, 2013 at 11:49AM   
akcorcoran
Thanks! I will definitely think about not pitting a fixture there - although my husband will now say its available wiring for a fan then! :-)

Do you think the room will feel out of balance with all the hanging on the one side? One idea I had was to put non-electric, candle sconces on the walls above the mantel or tall candles or pieces on the mantel (outside the tv) to give it some height?

The one thing that would be good about skipping the fixture there is that - it's hard to tell on the architect's drawing - but our living room is the room attached to the new hearth area and there is a tall open pass through into the great room. The living room is getting a new light fixture (it had NO light but two lamps) so then I'm avoiding hanging light fixtures in every spot you look.

Thanks again for your thoughts!
March 16, 2013 at 2:24PM     
akcorcoran
Hello again - I'm back and still fiddling around here with this decision. The granite is now in so I'd love to see if anyone has any different thoughts now? I really cannot seem to figure this out - and the local lighting stores don't have anything that I can bring home that I think fits. I hate ordering online only for a decision this big.

Any suggestions - I'm totally open now. Still love the Currey and Company ones as well as the basketweave ones I liked but haven't pulled the trigger yet?

Argh!
April 3, 2013 at 5:37PM   
ncdiy
Have you called Lantern & Scroll (find them on here or Facebook or lanternandscroll.com) I used them recently, and they were so helpful and just walked me through everything. They are experts, super nice, and reasonable!
April 3, 2013 at 7:01PM   
ncdiy
And! That is the most beautiful stone on the island. I love it!
April 3, 2013 at 7:02PM   
What's Inside Design Ltd.
Good morning,
Everything looks beautiful....coming along nicely!!!
I've put one of your previous options into your space and added a few more that are similar to your style.
So you can "see"!
Caroline :)
April 4, 2013 at 7:29AM   
Great room/eating area/kitchen floor-should it all be the same?
I don't have a pic yet, but we are purchasing a home...
Lighting help for kitchen eat-in area
Hi, I'm in the process of. Building a new home. I don't...
Need help for eating area lighting next to kitchen
I have a 12ft by 12ft eating area next to my kitchen...
Eat In kitchen VS family room with limited eating area
Our home is for sale. A while ago we did a remodel,...
residential building reception design
i need some tips designing this residential building...
Biggest household bone of contention?
Is it the direction of the toilet paper? Someone leaves...
marble flooring
My husband really loves marble but I have read that...
NEED SMALL WALL CABINET TO STORE ELECTRONICS
DIMENSIONS ARE 10-15 WIDTH, 5 DEPTH, 12 HEIGHT! I...
Size problem in my living room
My living room is 27x15 which is posing a problem with...