Need help with landscape tiers
kaydamuckey
I am in northern Ca and need help designing these tiers. We need some height and color.
mitchpotts
Maybe for the area to the right of pool some ' clumping' bamboo? Very pretty, hearty and will provide some privacy. The clumping varieties will not overtake the planters. They do shed a little bit, so not great right at the pool.
March 16, 2013 at 9:19pm     
Greenblott Landscape & Interiors
Try using thuja fastigiata, arborvitae as a hedge. Plant a row of them a few feet apart on the upper tier, then use colorful perennials and evergreen groundcovers on the lower tier to create a layered effect. Good luck!
March 16, 2013 at 11:39pm     
kaydamuckey
Here is the other half of the yard. Same idea as on the right side?
March 17, 2013 at 10:43am   
I am a bamboo freak, so I would go for differing types of clumping (pachymorph) bamboos. I would plant them along your back wall. They have movement, colour and they sway with the wind. Planting different varieties and then stripping the lower leaves shows a beautiful array of stems.
HOWEVER, in some parts of the US they are considered invasive - and if you don't weed out the old bamboo stems on an annual basis even a clumping bamboo will find a way into your neighbour's yard. Also they shed leaves... and in your pool......you will go crazy.
March 17, 2013 at 12:02pm   
claudiann
I would use short flowing ornamental grass for the lower level and fountain grass for the upper. Did you plant the tree on the end? I would move it further away from the pool.
March 17, 2013 at 12:29pm   
kaydamuckey
Yes we replanted the tree there. We moved it when the pool was built. I don't think we are going to move it again
March 17, 2013 at 12:34pm   
kaydamuckey
Also we had fountain grass and found it to be very messy and didn't live through the winter.
March 17, 2013 at 12:35pm   
Greenblott Landscape & Interiors
Another good one is juniper torulosa, grows upright and semi-twisted for height & interest. Just a recommendation, I would stay away from bamboo unless you are installing a strong root barrier to contain. You could place a few more rock boulders along the edges of the current grouping to blend the side planting bed together as a continuous flow, maybe add a few random clusters within the planting areas as well. I know ceanothus (California Lilac) grows fantastic in N. CA, so you could try that as a shrub with beautiful blue flowers in spring, although said to be short lived (+/- 10 years). The plant selection really comes down to your tastes. Go to the garden section at lowes, home depot, or wal-mart and see what you like. Hope this helps.
March 17, 2013 at 7:14pm   
kaydamuckey
We have a green acres right down the street. My only problem is choosing just a few plants! Thanks for the tips!
March 17, 2013 at 8:31pm   
Need Landscape Ideas for Tiered Backyard
The bottom level has a concrete patio surrounded by...
Need help with my two tier half moon table in foyer
FYI I'm a male and live alone, would like something...
need help with a 2 tier island
We are redoing our Kitchen. Having trouble deciding...
Ideas for outdoor grills in tiered landscaping
I'd like to see photos of some outdoor grills in tiered...
Tile Flooring Question
Does anyone know of a product I could put on Porcelain...
Help with exterior!
Please help me figure out what color shade to paint...
Budget Kitchen facelift
Hi everyone we have recently bought a place needing...
Need help with dining room
I am currently using our garden furniture, not sure...
French door opening direction!
I am working on house renovation in seattle area. ...