Need opinions on kitchen cab/countertop colors
kbuffkin
We are not going to gut this kitchen for a few years. Looking into the Rustoleum products for painting the cabinets and countertops. In trying to match the floor should I go with espresso cab with desert sand countertops or white cabinets with onyx counter tops? Should I consider the floor into the color scheme? I think I should. Even though I would love to try a white kitchen, I'm leaning toward the dark. Ideas???
julielen
what if you do espresso on bottom cabinets, a natural stone counter in a medium tone to go with the floor, and white or off-white cabinets on top?

I'd get an oriental rug and subway tile backsplash.

I think you can get away with a formica counter top... don't spend on stone if you're going to redo down the road.
2 Likes   March 16, 2013 at 6:21PM
kbuffkin
Thank you. I had thought of doing light and dark, I guess I'm a little nervous to try it. We are doing a complete reno in a few years, this is just to hold me over. Here is a pic of the other side of the kitchen. I had not planned on taking this tile down for fear of tearing up the wall. I considered painting it in warm greens, yellows and reds -- my color scheme of dishes and decor. Matchstick tiles are my favorite, but both would conflict. The walls are going to be a warm green, planning on painting the kitchen soffits a deep green, until I tear them down! Pendant lights are in the distant future.
0 Likes   March 16, 2013 at 6:32PM
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
I'd leave the wood colour, replace the laminate countertop to something new - its not that expensive - couple hundred dollars - splurge on a mosaic backsplash - done!
1 Like   March 16, 2013 at 6:39PM
Heather Peterson
I would also try adding some hardware to those cabinets
0 Likes   March 16, 2013 at 7:34PM
kbuffkin
Bump, any additional opinions?
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 2:38PM
Barbara Griffith Designs
The Rustoleum Cabinet Transformation system is amazing. Your floor is mid tone so you could choose either direction. As the area is not really large, I would do all one color cabinets. A white by Rustoleum in the color "Linen", unglazed, would look nice with this dark countertop from Lowe's in the Labrador Granite with an ogee edge like real granite. These pieces are completely formed and can be just cut to size. I have used these with a client just recently. http://www.lowes.com/pd_351867-1110-369246B10_4294735655__?productId=3343554&Ns=p_product_avg_rating|1&pl=1¤tURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_avg_rating%7C1&facetInfo=

Add some stainless hardware to your cabinets and it looks fantastic.
1 Like   March 17, 2013 at 2:57PM
Lowe's Home Improvement # 2501
I agree with Barbara. The Linen Color in Rustoleum and the Labrador Granite laminate from Lowe's seriously look amazing together!
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 3:13PM
sjkingston
Second Barbara Griffin's approach. I've used Rustoleum's Linen color and just a touch of the glaze in the crevices of the molding (the allover glazing can look very '70s). Came out very professional looking. Rather than their countertop product, which is messy and expensive, go with her suggestion of a preformed laminate countertop with an ogee edge and stainless colored hardware. That and removing the scallop and adding a bamboo or fabric Roman shade will give you several years of happiness at a minimal cost.
1 Like   March 17, 2013 at 3:15PM
luckyttcinmay
We have the same kitchen with ivory color vinyl floor and is thinking about Rustoleum for the cabinets and the same countertop from Lowes. Could you please share photos after the remodel? Thanks in advance.
0 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 1:41PM
kbuffkin
I actually used the cabinet transformations in Chocolate for our rental house and were impressed with the results. It was quick and easy, for a first-timer. For this remodel I am going to use Benjamin Moore Advance paint for the cabinets with a Polyurethane top coat. The only reason I am not using Rustoleums product is I want a bit more of a shiny finish. Rustoleum gives a matte finish. However, we are going to use the countertop transformation kit, for several reasons. We are afraid the tile backsplash will be damaged removing these cabinets and we are not ready to repair walls with this remodel. The paint is a simple process, and the house is empty, so a mess is not a problem. We could probably paint the countertops quicker than installing new ones, given our skill set and time frame. I will definitely post pictures!

Edited to add: I looked at the Lowe's countertops. They look amazing and affordable. I wish we could install those!
1 Like   March 18, 2013 at 1:49PM
kbuffkin
Here are a few updates. We had to move in so it is not painted yet. I experimented with color to see how I liked it, but it is not complete. The countertops were very easy to do using rustoleums transformations in desert sand. I painted the cabinets using Benjamin Moore paint and an acrylic top coat. I spray painted the hinges and tops of screws silver to match the appliances. So far it is holding up well. Ill add pictures when its finished.
7 Likes   May 12, 2013 at 5:31AM
Sarah Bullock
I would love to duplicate this! Can you share exact paint info
0 Likes   Thanked by kbuffkin    July 3, 2014 at 11:33PM
Eva Lutz
this transformation is amazing !
can't believe the countertop aspect was achieved with paint !
how does it hold up against knives, hot pots and pans, grease, steam and spillage ?
love the cabinet stain too.
would replace some of upper cabinet fronts with glass for a less boxed in look.
don't paint or change the backsplash tiles !
they are lovely and neutral as they are.
0 Likes   Thanked by kbuffkin    July 4, 2014 at 12:13AM
hambirg
Wow! Awesome job!
0 Likes   Thanked by kbuffkin    July 4, 2014 at 1:44AM
kbuffkin
Thank you for the comments! The countertops were the Rustoleum countertops transformations in Desert Sand. The paint for the cabinets is Benjamin Moore Advance Paint Waterborne Interior Alkyd in Tudor Brown. I did attach drawer pulls and knobs. It is holding up great. A metal can dropped from the top shelf of the cabinet onto the countertop and chipped the countertop in one place. But because of the coloring, you can't even see it. I get compliments on this all the time! I will take some updated pictures and post.
1 Like   July 6, 2014 at 6:20AM
kbuffkin
As far as the countertops holding up, they are amazingly strong. I don't put hot pots off the stove directly onto the countertops, but I never have on any counter top, so I can't say what would happen. According to the Rustoleum customer service dept., the top coat epoxy is the same as what is put on the bottom of boats as a sealant. It is surprisingly easy to do! We did the whole kitchen in 2 days. I did the bathrooms as well, because the epoxy dries once you open it. So we did as much as we could with the kit. Stains come right off. The worst part is because of the coloring it hides dirt. Often times I can't see bread crumbs, etc. Maybe that's a good thing!
0 Likes   July 6, 2014 at 6:28AM
kbuffkin
Painting the cabinets is labor intensive and time consuming. High quality paint, and prep is key. I used a belt sander to prep the surfaces after cleaning well with Krud Kutter and a green scrubby. I used a paint sprayer for an even look and to save on time. I don't know how you could achieve this look with a brush. You have to take all the doors and drawer faces off, have plenty of clean, dry space to work and at least a week of time. They are holding up well considering its paint. Overall, I would do it all over again. Very pleased with the results. The paint sprayer was around $80, paint was over $100 for as much as I needed. Sorry, I don't remember exact amounts. The most costly for me, was my time.
0 Likes   July 6, 2014 at 6:36AM
soberg
That is unbelievable! You did a fabulous job, it looks like $$$$ and a massive jaw dropping improvement!
0 Likes   Thanked by kbuffkin    July 6, 2014 at 6:46AM
glschisler
Very nice transformation!
0 Likes   July 6, 2014 at 6:52AM
I need opinions on marble countertops in the kitchen???
What do you think of marble countertops on kitchen...
Nancy Nortell
Need kitchen cabinet countertop opinion
Our kitchen is roughly 17x13 with island. We are replacing...
coloradomom22
Kitchen floor, cabinet and granite counter colors - opinions needed!
I fell in love with black granite when I thought we...
jphillips_3
Kitchen flooring... opinions needed on color!
We a remodeling our kitchen -- new cabinets (maple...
jphillips_3
Update/new option found! Kitchen flooring... opinions needed on color!
UPDATE: I found a new option... may be the "winner"...
jphillips_3
Ideas for a Homeschool Room with 7 computers and family room
We are a homeschooling family with tons of books. 7...
happycl8
Need help for Kitchen - what should I do?
What should be done in my kitchen to get cosy athmosphere....
Rok
Bathroom help
Need to redo my only bathroom with shower and tub....
1pez
Creative search in progress. Wardrobe
A great example of our creative ideas to lift the mood...
Vanguard development LA
How would you decorate your house...
if you had two autistic boys and one of them relied...
happycl8