?Love/Hate? Butler's Pantry in Dining Rm or for Kitchen Table???
momof5jenMarch 16, 2013
We have five kids and this is a screen shot of the first floor of our future home which has a butler's pantry facing the dining room. We don't entertain too much but could make that pretty for china, food serving area but wonder if it will look strange after you walk in and see it off to the side. I could make it a flat gallery wall or put book nooks down the hall.
Then I could flip the butler's pantry to face the kitchen table. By the kitchen table, it could house all the tons of fruit 5 kids go through and could have a wine fridge for snacks etc. It could get junky though with paperwork etc too. What do you think? Any design or decorating tips on flow and function would be great! I have posted pictures of examples of what I like. Thanks everyone!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
laurae1967
It is hard to get a sense without seeing the kitchen and layout of where the butler's pantry is right now. It looks very attractive as-is but if it isn't functional for your family and you have the resources, change it. The blueprint of your kitchen looks enormous so the only concern I might have is if flipping the pantry to face the kitchen would make it look too large with an overwhelming number of cabinets. I have a large kitchen and a butlers pantry between the kitchen and dining room. We use it for storing china, platters, etc. and it looks nice. We have a second fridge in the garage right off the kitchen for storing extra drinks, snacks etc. We also have a walk-in pantry in the kitchen that stores all of our canned goods, flour, paper towels, snacks, etc. What we don't have is a refrigerated snack drawer, which would be great but you don't need a whole pantry to have that. In any case, your new home looks lovely and I'm sure you will create something functional and beautiful.
    Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 4:15AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Urbana ~ Designer Ellen Crystal
as you don't have much room for furniture in your dining room aside from table, the built in pantry would be a super feature. in that area, it is unlikely to be used for more than the china & serving. use the remaining walls for art and perhaps small consoles.

the desk area facing the island should more than handle the kids calendars & school paperwork. Keep the large walk in pantry for food stores & excess small appliances. you could even put a microwave in there, out of the way.

your island is enormous. It will certainly be more than adequate for fruit etc for lunches etc. Also, the fridge nearby will be easier for doing up school lunches on the assembly line you no doubt require.

the kitchen has several zones so well suited to multiple cooks & clean up. It should serve you well
    Bookmark   March 9, 2014 at 11:53PM