OLLD 3/17
Good St. Patrick's Day morning! That was some discussion about the Beef Wellington post, I had 106 emails waiting for me this morning! Here's some great margarita chairs in case they didn't post on 3/16
olldroo
They will go perfectly under our glorious autumn sky.

I think we had autumn in one day - the wind has turned really cold and is absolutely whistling around the house. Great snuggle under the doona weather.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 4:40AM
olldroo
Ooops, thanks Bobbi, I missed St. Patrick's Day. Funny, there was nothing on the news about it either, maybe be cause it was Sunday.

I wonder what that guy was thinking about his Beef Wellington post, he must have wondered what hit him. Make him think twice about doing that again.
    Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 4:43AM
astraea
I love those chairs, but I wonder what they'd look like, at the end of a rainy season.

Speaking about NANCY discussions, yesterday I saw one where someone had posted a survey to select from 2 colors for a few of their rooms. I said that without pictures of the rooms, but only the paint swatches, how could WE choose?! He knows how much light these rooms get/don't get, what the furniture looks like, etc. I said that I personally wouldn't want my house colors selected by a bunch of strangers online. They came back & said they'd already selected a color, but wanted to know what other people thought. I "unsubscribed" from that discussion ASAP!
4 Likes    Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 4:43AM
creeser
Good morning. Bobbi, I've sat in those chairs at Margaritaville! Ever been to the restaurant? My grandbaby has serious issues with the 'hurricane'..*L* Found something for you:
4 Likes    Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 5:02AM
olldroo
Astraea - how stupid. I seriously have to wonder at the motive for some of these postings.

Bobbi, will your penny floor be on the list for this week? Or is that a 'new' project?
1 Like    Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 6:19AM
olldroo
A new supermarket near my house has an automatic water mister to keep produce fresh. Just before it goes on, you hear the sound of thunder and the smell of fresh rain.

When you approach the milk cases, you hear cows mooing and breathe in the aroma of chocolate milk.

When you approach the egg case, you hear hens cluck and cackle, and the air is filled with the pleasing aroma of bacon and eggs frying.

The veggie department features the sound of a gentle breeze and the smell of fresh buttered corn.

I don't buy toilet paper there any more.
13 Likes    Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 6:21AM
creeser
Ez... I have a question dear and since you always have such great information, I thought I'd try you. My daughter is pregnant and has had her ear stopped up... plugged ... for over a week with congestion from a flu like virus. Nothing is working to open it up and she's very dizzy from it. Do you know of any home remedies that work? I think we've tried everything we know to try.
    Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 6:51AM
Ironwood Builders
Roo! Cracking me up again! Astraea, I got into a long Nancy with someone that just plain didn't want to hear what I was telling them. Norm emailed me and asked if I was spitting blood from biting my tongue when I bowed out, wishing them good luck. Really, it doesn't matter if they listen to me now...or pay me to fix it later. With the former, I get a good feeling and peace of mind...with the latter I get more work. Maybe I should start posting bad information to bolster the economy? One man wrecking crew?

Speaking of Nancy's. There seems to be more animosity from architects towards contractors in the posts than I would expect. Disdain and condescension from about 10% of the architects? Can't figure out why... I was reading a post (from one of the nancy boys). And he was pointing out the disparity of population on houzz between architects and landscape architects. Is it just jealousy? It's not like contractors are rolling in dough these days....times are tough all over.
3 Likes    Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 6:56AM
olldcan
creezer, what a great photo. Bobbi, Canada started the phase out in Feb to discontinue the use of the penny. With the banks no longer issuing them, only taking them, there all kinds out there to be had. Many retailers have already started the rounding process. The last roll of pennies from the mint is worth a cool 16k but all others are just a cent. You could be floored, at what you'd save if you switched the currency.
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 7:10AM
creeser
olldcan, floored? *L*
For some reason, I was thinking the UK discontinued some currency as well. Like the half penny or something like that. She could have quite the international floor, couldn't she?
1 Like    Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 7:15AM
olldcan
Sorry creeser, all that Wellington last night hasn't worn off yet :)
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 7:23AM
creeser
EZ, thank you so much! I'm going to copy and paste this to my daughter. We've tried hot compresses, but they haven't done much. Love the idea of the glass and since her hubby is home today, get more hot liquids into her. You're such a wealth of wonderful information!
    Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 7:30AM
creeser
Olldcan, that beef wellington packs quite a punch doesn't it? *L*
    Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 7:30AM
olldcan
Well were off. DeDutch is calling, must brave the icy roads and have the famous PANNEKOEKEN (37" in circumference) TTYL.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 7:45AM
creeser
Have fun can!
    Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 7:55AM
astraea
@Can - what do you like your monster-size pannekoeken with .. bacon, apples, cheese, rasins, ??? Is that somehow connected to St. Patrick's Day .. or just Sunday breakfast?

Dave - I just don't have the patience for some of these postings, any more. It's kind of "been there, done that." There seem to be more people just goofing around or spamming the website, with the nonsense I've seen.. like, "What are the dimensions of this room?" .. without even a photo. I don't think these people know what the word "Dilemma" means; last I looked, it didn't mean "Make all the decisions for me."
3 Likes    Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 8:03AM
creeser
Looking up pannekoeken.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 8:05AM
astraea
Creeser - BIG pancake
1 Like    Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 8:25AM
creeser
Astraea, I looked them up and got hungry and had to go find some food. Found a recipe and was going to try it out one day this week. It would make such a great 'treat' for a weekend or birthday breakfast. I just need to make sure the pan I have that is similar is going to work for a whopper mcpancake.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 8:30AM
astraea
I saw the picture, and turned away FAST!! Too tempting.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 8:31AM
creeser
There were so many toppings you could cook with it. We have fresh strawberries right now and that was the one that was 'speaking' to me.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 8:34AM
Mary Poulos Interior and Exterior Design
Hi all! I haven't looked up pannekoeken images yet, but all of the discussion of it makes me think I want my husband to make his great french toast this morning. I am going to look at the pannekoeken now, just in case, after seeing it, the french toast won't do. :o)
    Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 8:51AM
trasgorshek
Lol! Mary, I love French toast. We had pancakes but I have a strong feeling they were nothing compared to the pannekoekens. :(. But my tummy is full regardless.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 9:42AM
creeser
Mary Peggy, Tras, take a look. I saw no reason y'all shouldn't have be as hungry as I am after seeing these photos. *L*
1 Like    Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 9:54AM
trasgorshek
Lol...Ok, don't ask me why I just called you Mary. I just started laughing at myself while doing dishes when I realized what I had said.... I got your email. Thank you!! We are getting ready to head to Home Depot then mom and dads. I will holler back tonight.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 9:55AM
trasgorshek
Holy crap Creeser! Thanks a lot! I think I just gained 10 more pounds from looking at the photo. Lol.

Reminds me of when I worked at TCBY while in high school. This was back when they did Belgian waffles and crapes. I would make myself one and pile it high with white chocolate mousse yogurt, fresh bananas and strawberries. SO good!!
1 Like    Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 9:59AM
trasgorshek
....and sometimes hot fudge!! This was back in high school when your metabolism would let you get away with it. Just thinking about it now puts weight on. Sniff sniff, wiping away the tears.
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 10:01AM
creeser
Tras, same here. I have a chocolate scented candle I can light and gain 10lbs.
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 10:27AM
Creeser PLEASE no more pictures of the Pstuff. It is ridiculously screen licking good. I want it now! I am making my husband take me out for a treat now, because my dessert alarm in ringing big time.

I make the world's best fudge. My sister wanted to start a fudge business and wanted to know if I would do it with her. Together we started creating the most amazing fudges and forever tweaking the recipes. At the same time we were forever tweaking our wardrobes, because we were tasting and testing and tasting and tasting and.... I finally said, I can not do this, I have no will power. I still can not get back down to the size I was when I started. But, on occasion I make the fudge and people absolutely rave and say you should sell this, but I can not. :o(
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 1:20PM
creeser
Mary P, I went out for a chocolate dipped cone after seeing this. I might as well have just glued it to my thighs, but it was worth it.
I chatted with a lady online years back that used to make fudge during the holidays to sell. She was in another state and I finally whined enough to where she gave me the recipe. It is decadent. Not too sweet and very creamy. I hide the recipe and never make it but once a year.
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 1:31PM
Ironwood Builders
Pannekoekkens look just like Swedish Uhnspankake...oven pancakes. Thank goodness I just ate lunch before reading this...my blood sugars are spiking ridiculously anyway...no way I could handle the onslaught of carbs in those things! Nancy that stuff! bobbi..you stay away from the pancake thingys! Neither of us want the coma!

It was fun reading all the gals on houzz letting it out on a Saturday night...
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 1:39PM
astraea
Creeser .. no fair posting those picture; they look so delicious!!
1 Like    Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 2:07PM
Linda
Creeser, I have lots of problems with my ears getting congested and I sympathize with your daughter and her limited options while being pregnant. Have you tried anything with mint oil? I like to put a couple of drops of mint oil in a cup of boiling water and breathe in the steam.

When all else fails, I do the rinse the sinuses with warm salt water move. I find it uncomfortable to do but it works for me when I get desperate. Usually I only need to do it two or three times about 2 hours apart before the problem calms enough that regular decongestants will prove sufficient.
    Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 2:16PM
mpoulsom
hey everybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 2:36PM
creeser
Astraea, I think I'll start posting a 'dessert of the day' just for fun! ;)
Hey MP! How's the weekend going ladybug?
Linda, I'll pass that along to my daughter, thank you! She is to the point of desperation. She's got a Neti pot, but I don't know if she's using it. She has been using the saline nasal spray though. Poor thing is just miserable and now with the pollen coating everything, it's making it worse.
    Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 4:31PM
olldroo
HEY from me too.

Still reeling from the Beef Wellington last night - and I don't even eat meat. I don't think I'll ever look at Vodka the same way again after Antoinette's comment.

Dave, I'm inclined to just move on when I read comments by Architects getting all high-handed and technical. There was even a decorating dilemma that one came in on yesterday with some snotty remark that I hoped everyone ignored - I again just moved on. Felt like calling him out but this type of person always has a put-down ready so I don't like to give them the satisfaction.

As far as disparity of population here, well this is an optional website so if some see it advantageous over others that is their decision. At this rate they will be banning the Ollds - probably already written us off as a bunch of looney tunes.

Tras - how did your lights go? Haven't been over to the other thread yet - 106 emails this morning!!!
    Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 4:33PM
olldroo
Creeser - you're just determined to get even for last night, aren't you!!!
    Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 4:35PM
creeser
Darn straight roo. How dare y'all have fun while I'm sleeping! ;)
    Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 4:40PM
creeser
And here's a little something to start the evening. Chocolate covered strawberry shots. Vanilla vodka, Godiva liquor, and some chocolate syrup for a delicious shot in an edible glass. No fuss, no muss. :)
4 Likes    Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 4:43PM
astraea
Boy creeser, fattening & labor intensive too!!
    Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 4:51PM
crees, daughter is surgical nurse, ORL, Children's Boston. She says your pregnant daughter can use Afrin, for one or two days, only. Ears and nose connected, if she can unblock that connection, it might drain her ears. Warning: do not use longer than three days otherwise it can be addictive.

Or, try holding nose, close mouth, and blow out to see if she can clear the blockage. If that doesn't work, see her OB-GYN. Her doc will decide what is safe for her to take depending upon how far along she is.

Possibly a prednisone taper or Flonase, if she is later along.

A neti pot is safe and worth a try.

She is here and reading over my shoulder.
    Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 5:05PM
handymam
judyg, thank you so much for what you said over in that bedroom dilemma. I am not a professional. just someone tha tries to do things for herself and encourage other people to do the same if it is not in their means to rip out everything. Sometimes, people can make do for a while or do small things. I don't know why some people have to be so nasty. "Lose the...Get rid of the ... Never do ..." They really must be unhappy people. I tried to be nice and ignore that one, but that comment about sally needing the mirror to look at herself all day? IThat was really over the top.
3 Likes    Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 5:33PM
olldroo
handy - don't know the specific dilemma you mean but I really get annoyed when people totally tear a person's room apart, even when posters say what is new and what they want or have to keep and no one ever thinks of things that may have special meaning. There was a lounge room one lately that the lady had really done nicely but had a very old fashioned framed photo over the fireplace. I picked right from the start that it was a special piece and to leave it, which it turned out it was something her parents have given her and she treasured. Still they kept coming telling her to get rid of it, or replace it. So many times I feel like screaming - READ!!!!!
3 Likes    Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 5:42PM
olldcan
Normally eating a meal this size, even I wouldn't recommend. After last nights Wellington and Vodka.... not to mention the drive I had to do. MP where the heck were you and your blender?????

Anyway De Dutch is a favorite Dutch Restaurant that is sooooo delicious. If you've never had one, you must seek one out, you have no idea what your missing. This morning I had "The Canadian" go figure....actually, if you eat it to often, your figure will be gone that's for sure. As you know i'm not dutch, but dammit, if you have something good to eat, I'm on it, always looking for something different.I felt no sympathy for the waistline. 15cm of snow were waiting for me on my 100 yard driveway, broke the darn winch line for the snowblade so most of it was removed with the blower and the good ol' shovel.

OTR Micro actually got installed today, yahoo!!!! think, that sat on the dining room floor for a month, all is good, were still taking.....barely...LOL

i took this off there menu,
THE PANNEKOEKEN:
This Dutch creation may be the most baffling. With a circumference of 37” and a diameter of 12”, it can be cut into 113 square inch bites. Its simplicity lets you try new flavours with the comforts of home in every bite.
http://www.dedutch.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/the-canadian-photo.jpg
    Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 6:12PM
olldcan
Here it is, btw the strawberry and whipped cream one is so delicious too,
    Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 6:19PM
olldcan
MP, what were you up to last night? Thought you'd join us for Beef Wellington, I was waiting for you and your blender.
    Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 6:20PM
olldroo
Do you have fries with that???
1 Like    Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 6:33PM
handymam, no need for thank you's. That person was so rude I couldn't let her get away without a slap. For heaven's sake…where did she come from? Even her spelling/grammar was a mess. Maybe too many wines? Just plain nasty to both you and the poster. I want to dare that kind of person to post pictures of her house and let us have a whack at it. :>)
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 6:50PM
mp, we had so much fun last night. One of the posters actually excused herself as she was off to bed because she had celebrated a little too much. I should go back and ask her how she feels today.
    Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 6:51PM
olldroo
Outrageous judy, however the 'Morning After' is always a time for regrets (helloooooooooo Antoinette, who still hasn't surfaced) and deep relfections -

Senior citizens are constantly being criticized for every conceivable deficiency of the modern world, real or imaginary. We know we take responsibility for all we have done and do not blame others.

HOWEVER, upon reflection, we would like to point out that it was NOT the senior citizens who took . . .

The melody out of music,

The pride out of appearance,

The courtesy out of driving,

The romance out of love,

The commitment out of marriage,

The responsibility out of parenthood,

The togetherness out of the family,

The learning out of education,

The service out of patriotism,

The Golden Rule from rulers,

The Nativity scene out of cities,

The civility out of behavior,

The refinement out of language,

The dedication out of employment,

The prudence out of spending,

The ambition out of achievement
Or
God out of government and school.

And we certainly are NOT the ones who eliminated patience and tolerance from personal relationships and interactions with others!!

And, we do understand the meaning of patriotism, and remember those who have fought and died for our country.

Just look at the Seniors with tears in their eyes and pride in their hearts as they stand at attention with their hand over their hearts!

YES, I'M A SENIOR CITIZEN!

I'm the life of the party..... Even if it lasts until 8 p.m.

I'm very good at opening childproof caps..... With a hammer.

I'm awake many hours before my body allows me to get up.

I'm smiling all the time because I can't hear a thing you're saying.

I'm sure everything I can't find is in a safe secure place, somewhere.

I'm wrinkled, saggy, lumpy, and that's just my left leg.

I'm beginning to realize that aging is not for wimps.

Yes, I'm a SENIOR CITIZEN and I think I am having the time of my life!
4 Likes    Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 7:18PM
olldcan
roo, Fries or as I like to call them FLIES !!!!! no, no thanks, yuk!!! Thats one thing I can't stand.
    Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 7:19PM
olldroo
I was just thinking what would happen if Maccas got hold of them - upsizing and fries
    Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 7:22PM
olldcan
creeser, about the currency from way earlier in the day I thought I had heard that too. Now I'll have to search for it.

roo, what's your money like?
all in coin form are our .05 cents, .10 cents, .25cents and our $1.00 and $2.00 dollars.
paper bills (cotton paper) used for $5.00 $10.00 but soon will change to polymete, I think the 10's are in the fall.
polymere bills for $20.00, $50.00 and $100.00
    Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 7:41PM
olldroo
Can, our 1c and 2c were phased out years ago, I told Bobbi I had a heap for her floor.

I was confused for a minute when you said you had $1 and $2 coins, keep forgetting you are Canadian, my dd does her brain in with the US $1 note. We have 5c, 10c, 20c, 50c, $1, $2 in coins - there was talk of $5 too but that seems to have fizzed.

We can proudly boast of being the first country in the world to introduce the polymer note. They were introduced in 1988 and when we went to Korea in September 88, everyone wanted us to pay in AUD, they just wanted to get their hands on them as they are rather colourful too, as were our old paper notes. Had we known we could have made a killing.

Our notes are $5, $10, $20, $50 and $100.

Want some education?
http://www.dfat.gov.au/facts/currency.html

and what it looks like
http://www.google.com.au/search?q=what+does+australian+currency+look+like&hl=en&rlz=1T4SUNA_enAU288AU288&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=54JGUZ27NM7NmgXVxIGoAg&ved=0CDAQsAQ&biw=1263&bih=576

We also get here really nice gift packs of brand new coins - one of each - that are great gifts for new babies as they have the year of their birth on them. Come to think of it, I totally forgot to get one for the little bloke in LA. Wonder if anyone else did - thanks for jogging my mind on that.
    Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 8:04PM
olldroo
ooops, didn't realise there were so many photos on that second site - at least you really will get the idea:)
    Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 8:06PM
olldcan
oh beauty, you're nice and colourful just like mine. I had no idea Australia was the first country to introduce the Polymer note. We only have the 5's and 10's left to change to Polymer. There is a small amount of the cotton paper left in circulation but for the most part it's the Polymer. Many people howled like crazy when first introduced, there going to melt in the dryer, there going to stick together, yadda yadda yadda. I haven't experienced any of those problems. Think it's just the complainers and sceptics doing what they do best.

We also heard about the possibility of our $5 bill changing to a coin but that hasn't come up lately.

We have nicknamed our $1.00 coin the Loonie and our $2.00 the Toonie. Do you have any nicknames for your coins.
    Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 8:24PM
olldcan
Okay that's enough for me. I typed into google search"what does Scotland's currency look like" amongst several images, there's a picture of J.R Ewing and The Donald....gonna have to sleep that off, nighty night all.
    Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 8:36PM
olldroo
People do tend to overlook us, but we have led the way in may things, especially medicine and research at the moment. When you think we have had it for 25 years it does make everyone else look slow.

When they are new you do have to snap them to make sure two don't stick, but that happened with paper too. They don't fold easily so can fly out of pockets if you aren't careful, but I think we are all so used to them now, no one thinks twice about them. I haven't heard of any nicknames, once Aussies had nicknames for everything, but I think multiculturalism has killed that a lot, newcomers, particularly from non-English speaking backgrounds just don't get it. Actually I think a lot of resistance to changing to metric was based on nicknames and no one bothered to come up with anything. The dollar was equated to US money and there is always resistance to changing to anything American, makes us feel like we are getting swallowed up so we weren't going the way of quarters and nickels - not that we have a quarter anyway.

Back in the old days of pounds, a pound was a quid, shillings were bob - as in two bob - and 3d and 6d were called trays and zacks. There used to be deeners too but can't remember what they were, might have been 1 shilling. Ancient history.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 8:46PM
olldroo
I noticed my pictures had a few ringins too. Night - sleep well.
    Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 8:49PM
mpoulsom
i started the 18th...hope that IS what day it is...lol
1 Like    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 3:39AM
astraea
olldcan - That's not a pancake .. it's an "edible plate"!

Roo - It would be interesting to compare the risk & rate of counterfeiting, in various countries, considering the type of paper currency they use! While "colorful" is nice, I kind of like that American paper money is all consistent in color; how else could we call it "greenbacks"?!

When I was watching the "Sharpe" series (British), I read up on currency in England, and some of it was confusing. Like "pound" was the basic currency, but "guinea" was used for exchanges with professionals .. and a guinea was 1 pound + 1 shilling .. so they were almost the same in value. And then there was a florin, which was 2 shillings .. but doesn't "florin" sound Italian, rather than English?
1 Like    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 3:40AM
creeser
judy and judy's daughter, thank you! I'll pass along to daughter. She's been to the doctor twice with this and has called her OB to see if there is anything else she can take and they told her no. She's been on amoxicillin first for a sinus infection that came on with this 'flu like' virus. After her ear stopped up a week later and started hurting, she went back after 3 days of that and they switched her to a Zpack. They let her take Sudafed and now after 2 weeks, she still can't hear. She goes to the OB today for her 20 week ultrasound and I get to go with her. SiL is working, so Grandma gets to go! They already told her when she called that there was nothing else that she can take. I feel so bad for her.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 4:23AM
astraea
Creeser - Did your daughter go to an ENT about her ear; is she sure it's just due to the sinus infection .. or might there be 2 separate issues? I've had a build-up of ear wax at times, and it had nothing to do with sinus issues. The ENT gave me drops to soften the build-up, then vacuumed it out. Do NOT let any doctor try to dig it out .. best way to get an ear infection!
    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 4:29AM
creeser
Astraea, it's not wax. She addressed that first off. I have one of those scopes that let you look in the ear and it's clean as a whistle.Mom has ear wax issues due to her hearing aid and our dr told her a drop of tea tree oil in each ear before bedtime and rinse them in the morning with a bulb syringe using water and peroxide. Said it will keep them sparkling clean. The tea tree oil acts as a natural antibiotic for bacteria in the ear canal as well as a softening agent. We still are trying to get her to an ENT. I worry that she may end up with damage to that ear if she doesn't get some relief soon.
    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 4:39AM
olldroo
Haha Astraea, I don't blame you being confused about guineas. We had them too - forgot about that. It was rather common for professionals to charge in guineas but shops used them in their pricing too. The pound system worked - 1 pound = 20 shillings and 12 pennies (or pence) made up a shilling. We also used halfpence too. Of course with things being so much cheaper way back then halfpennies added up. I can remember as a kid I used to go to the movies on Saturday afternoons with 10pence - 6pence to get into the movie and 4pence for a Mars Bar. Mars Bars are around $2 these days and I bet they are smaller now. With the guineas you could only go up to 20 guineas as that equalled 20 pounds and 20 shillings which was 21 pounds. As you can imagine maths was hell when we had to do sums in pounds, shillings and pence. You had to add up the pennies, divide by 12 to convert to shillings and pence, write down the pence and carry over the shillings. Then you added the shillings divided by 20 if necessary, write down the shillings and carry over the pounds. Probably why we were so good at maths.

The new polymer notes are counterfeit proof, which is why they pushed to change them here. I think the hologram has a lot to do with that too. I always remember a case at work where someone photocopied one side of some $100 notes and tried to pass them off. Idiot!!!! Wondered how they picked it.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 5:09AM
olldroo
Forgot, I think our old 2shillings had florin stamped on it. Glory knows where the name came from.
    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 5:12AM
olldroo
Creesy, sorry your daughter is having such a bad time. My German dd has a lot of trouble with sinus and when she flies out here her ears are usually blocked for days, but I think the salt water usually does the trick. Unfortunately, I have had no experience so can't offer any suggestions. Sounds like a trip to a specialist would be in order and at least she will know what to do in the future if it happens again. I don't think it would cause any problem to her hearing, you usually need a bad and untreated infection for anything like that to happen or for something to rupture her eardrum.

Astraea, can you guys get ear candles over there? My dd here swears by them for really cleaning out wax buildups.
    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 5:16AM
astraea
Roo - I figured some of these denominations weren't used any more - Tanner (6 pence), Half Crown (2-1/2 Shillings), "Pony" (25 pounds) and "Monkey" (500 pounds). And a pound note was a sovereign? You'd have to be good at math! :))
    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 5:17AM
    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 5:20AM
creeser
Thanks roo. She could take more medicine to clear it up if she weren't preggers. A steroid shot would help tremendously, but she can't take it. She's always suffered this time of year with her sinuses anyway, the nasty cold she had on top of it just added insult to injury. The only issue with the local ENT is I despise him as does my MiL. MiL is one of these exceedingly kind people who never has a bad word to say about anyone. Except this particular ENT..*L*
    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 5:22AM
olldroo
Is there one a bit further afield? Bad when you get the duds. The mind boggles at a baby on steroids!!!!

Astraea, they would be English terms and we didn't always follow. There was a crown too (5/-).
    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 6:20AM
creeser
roo, there is, but daughter has 2 modes when she's pregnant. Stubborn and obstinate. Until she makes up her mind come hell or high water it's what she wants, she won't do it. The more we coax, the more those two traits come out. She's always been like that, but amp it up to the nth degree when the pregnancy hormones kick in.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 6:33AM
preds17
I guess I have stumbled upon the secret clique of houzzers lol.
Yes I have been reading a couple of these....being bored will do that to a person :)
I just had to share though....I think that A. It's hilarious that people really think the day is longer BECAUSE we have daylight savings. And that B. Some how all the extra sunlight is sucking up the water and giving us droughts. You would think we would just call off DST huh? :p

The last thing that struck me was the irritation with people who don't know what color they want to paint a room. It is actually interesting to hear some of the complaints. They made me think of a lot of different things that I never thought of before. I certainly do know what colors I like, but the decision on what will look ok on a wall is a big deal. Especially to someone who had not known to factor in the sunlight, shadows, and whatever else I saw spouted off. I guess I'm just saying, that while I can appreciate it being annoying to see the same problem over and over (believe me I know, I have other forums where I am the expert and annoyed) that sometimes people just need to be told the reason you think their paint question is absurd. It would probably help a lot. I know I have actually learned MORE about WHY things should be designed/put together in this little "convo among comrades" than I have in all the other discussions I've browsed here before.
Instead if someone telling another to choose what they like or saying nothing at all, you should more often tell them how annoying their question is and why. I imagine it will be helpful for them and cathartic for you. Lol
Hopefully my post in your little discussion amongst friends is not offensive. I just spent a couple threads getting to know you all like watching a reality show, and had to share my two cents. And I guess to say hello :)

PS-I can pick out stuff I like all day. I suck at designing my own spaces though. I am probably one of those people you hate. I just have so much anxiety when it comes to choices. I know they can always be changed, but I totally freak myself out over decisions. That's why I am irritating :)
1 Like    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 6:43AM
olldroo
Hi preds 17, lovely to hear from you. We are continuing our little gripe on today's thread OLLD 3/18. OLLD, by the way stands for Old Ladies Love Design, but we have a few roosters in the hen house now who are fun too.

You know what really annoys me with the colour thing though, is that so many times the first question I have asked is what the aspect of the room is and what sort of lighting does it get - how can you possibly consider colours for a room without knowing that (I'm so glad you are aware of it)? However before I get any answers I get PROFESSIONALS coming on and spurting our colour schemes. I really makes me wonder and I get quite upset for people too if they merrily go off doing a colour scheme a professional has suggested and it doesn't work because the light is all wrong.

We do try not to say anything that can be considered offensive as we have had our fair share of knockers who just don't understand our need to let off steam occasionally, but we feel what we do is all for the good of Houzz, 'cause we are just hooked.

Please come and join us today, introduce yourself, we come from all over the world, which makes it even more interesting and fun. I'm just about to go to bed, but hope to catch up with you soon.
3 Likes    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 7:03AM
creeser, you said when you were planning dd's wedding she was bridezilla? Is she now pregzilla? hehehe Oh! And I almost forgot again. When you were asking about what to get your granddaughter for Easter, I had a thought. When my boys were growing up, every Christmas I bought them one Hallmark ornament that showed what they were interested in that year. When they grew up and left the roost, they had a collection of ornaments for their own tree. Could you do something similar for Easter? One special porcelain bunny, or egg, with the year on it, and then when she turns 18 or whatever, and leaves the house, she will have a special collection for Easter for her own place?
1 Like    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 7:13AM
olldroo
I forgot about bridezilla. I think I had some "don't even think about it" times when I was preggers. What a lovely idea with the Christmas ornaments. I haven't seen anything like that here.

BED. Computer going off NOW!!!!
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 7:17AM
astraea
Roo - I think that ear candles are available here, but I'm not fond of the idea of a lit candle near any of my body parts!

Preds 17 - I would hope that if someone posts 3 or 4 basic questions that must be answered to begin solving a dilemma, both the initiator & others reading the discussion, would realize that you need basic information to figure ANYTHING out. I saw another dilemma today, where someone wants to design a laundry with many other uses for a new house, and didn't know where to start. I suggested they start by figuring out how much space each appliance/unit required, and the space to work around it, and go from there. How can you design a room, unless you know that? Sometimes I wonder how people got to be adults, without having to think "strategically" about anything.
3 Likes    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 7:27AM
creeser
bobbi, love the Hallmark ornament idea! Never thought of it with an Easter tree! It's definitely going in her basket. DD is not quite pregzilla. Her filter is low and Stubborn and Obstinate only comes out when she's irritated. With her first pregnancy, that was the happiest pregnant woman I had ever seen. This little boy is kicking her behind though, so to be honest, she hasn't felt well for nearly 5 months and I'd be irritated as well after that length of time.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 10:52AM
handymaM, the snarky remarks were removed. Whether Ms Snarky removed them herself or Emily did, they are gone.
    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 11:50AM
handymam
i doubt she/he will stop, I think it is just her/his personality. So does that mean my comments are standing alone, lol? My telling them they must have an unhappy life?

Okay, just checked, Emily must have removed my comments too, and I am okay with that.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 11:55AM
Handy that happened to me Lol in reverse. But it is funny what it leaves. In my case I was making a statement something to the same affect on a thread that was very mean spirited by some and immediately that very type of snarky individual came in with alot of creepy venom and so I just deleted my post. So there it is standing, by itself, a very low comment about me..oh well. I actually have begun to comment far less because of it. You are just trying to have a friendly discussion and be helpful and what can I say?
3 Likes    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 1:50PM
lisalovesquilts
I have said many times (you've all seen it - sorry to bore you) that good manners cost nothing. I have posted the odd comment I thought funny but then removed it because it might offend (never my intention) or because on reflection it was badly phrased and so just plain rude. A few times I've seen things/questions that I have never come across before and since I'm sitting here at a computer I've searched for it and got my answer. Sometimes though you have to ask but make an effort first.
3 Likes    Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 7:45AM
lisalovesquilts
Hi Roo my eight year old loved your visiting dog story, he laughed out loud! The kids seem to like life's absurdities quite a lot, it will probably stand them in good stead.
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 7:56AM
olldroo
Lisa, I could really relate to the dog. Intelligent animal.

I am trying so hard to bite my tongue here http://www.houzz.com/discussions/401546/HELP---PAINTER-HERE-NOW-
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 7:59AM
OLLD 8/9
Good morning everyone!! Care for a little slice of...
mefor
olld1223
Roo, got you again! bobbi, you need to get up earlier,...
OLLD 8/17
Good morning, everyone! Happy Saturday. Sunrise photo...
kimdee24
OLLD 2/20
good morning ladies!
mpoulsom
OLLD 3/22
Sunny Friday .. no more snow for a couple of days!
astraea
Help with bathroom color!
Hello Houzz folks, I posted my beautiful new vanity...
alisa350
Need more decorating help in living room
I've posted about this room in the past but... This...
wallizgrl
Entryway ideas
Needs some suggestions for my entryway. The pictures...
dawnrasch
Getting a new vanity
Are these taps ok to use, or totally out of style
stoehrlis
help finding a narrow table with a drop leaf to use a a room divider
new very small house. need somme kind of rec. narrow...
bwsm86