Tiny, tiny cottage
readbetter
I live in an 1,100 sqare foot cottage and all my downstairs rooms are 9'x9'. I am a minimalist and try to keep it simple but true to the house's design. Is there anything I should change in my living room? I added an electric fireplace for effect which is cozy in the winter. I was thinking of adding recessed lighting and eliminating the end tables and lamps. Should I relace the bird above the fireplace with art? Any ideas?
olldroo
You're asking us???? You have done an amazing job and I just love that pelican. I also like your use of glass in the lamp bases and your table to visually increase space, very clever. All I would change - and this is just me personally, would be a small white or blue rug on the floor for cosiness and some artwork instead of the mirror for a little extra warmth. I think you have done the right thing with your blinds, curtains would be a nuisance.

Love to see some more of your rooms.
41 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 5:15AM
Linda
Your room is beautiful and living in our cottage (renovated first!) may be what we chose to after our son goes off to post secondary school.
I think your fireplace and surround are very nice, but the surround needs to be beefed up (with plywood, crown mouldings and trim is least expensive way), if the lovely bird art is staying in that spot (it seems too large for the fireplace, but it certainly is a great piece!). Your side tables add warmth and function, so I would not get rid of them. If you don't like them, I'd replace the surface of them with glass tops to create the illusion of more space.
Perhaps more colourful or tone-tone beach-like pillows would help to personalize and warm the area as well.
By the way, I think I just ordered Natuzzi leather furniture that looks exactly like yours! :)
3 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 5:18AM
readbetter
Thanks so much. I never think I've done it correctly because it is soooo tiny. I'm afraid it will look too messy. I will attach more photos in a few minutes. Just did the kitcen and working on the upstairs bedroom and first floor back room which I use as a TV room/office.
6 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 5:20AM
nonarushbrook
A lovely calm feel so far. Agree a pale rug would increase illusion of Space and warm up the room Suggest use texture in neutrals or instead of Colour, pale slate greys or soft pale creams and beiges for texture a knobbly bobbly pebble like texture rug in creamy beige soft throws but with textured Hand woven effect. Love the bird but He's a little large for the space could replace with a cream or neutral framed mirror that would reflect light and create the illusion of a bigger room. Maybe put your bird at lower level between fireplace and window. Agree fireplace could do with a heavier mantel reclaimed or driftwood washed in off white? Hope this helps X
3 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 5:34AM
julielen
i love it! I know this is always a stupid question since I'm looking at a photo on a computer monitor, but may I ask what color the walls are?
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 5:41AM
I agree, really like the soft and light tones. Nothing we can do about the size of the room.
2 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 5:45AM
n247080
I would add an area rug, swap out the mirror for a piece of art to add some interest make the room feel warmer. I think you need to remove the bird over the fireplace. It's too big and makes me feel like it's going to attack me if I sit down. Perhaps a similar kind of art but scaled down to enhance the fireplace would be appropriate. Otherwise the room is fabulous, just needs to be occupied!
9 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 5:46AM
olldroo
Not a silly question at all julie, one of these decades monitors might just get colours right.

I have to agree about the bird being too large and probably out of proportion but that is the thing I love most about it. It makes such a fabulous statement it detracts from the size of the room. There are times I feel having everything balanced and in proportion takes a lot of fun out of decorating.
13 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 5:48AM
julielen
thanks olldroo -- I figure if someone else found a nice, soft color that goes with white trim and white furniture, it's worth if for me to go see the paint swatch!
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 5:52AM
olldroo
Julie - why not!!!! I don't have it as easy as you because we don't have your paints, but at least it is a starting point. Of course different light in different rooms can change the whole thing too.
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 5:58AM
readbetter
Grea ideas, everyone, thank you. All my rooms are painted Benjamin Moore's linen white. I'm afraid of a lot of color and I thought it better to paint everything neutral. Love the ideas and will look into some of the changes.
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 6:06AM
carolins
The enormous bird on the fireplace is lovely and weird and far too large, but please leave it there :-) You've created a lovely home. I'd rather eliminate the coffee table than the end tables and lamps, but you know what's practical for you. A soft blue or neutral rug (that goes at least halfway under the couch) would be nice. But I do like it the way it is now too.
8 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 6:08AM
olldroo
Can I come for coffee? I just want to sit and look at that bird.
20 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 6:12AM
julielen
excellent! A linen white paint swatch has already been hanging on the dining room wall for a few days now.
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 6:13AM
carolins
Does the bird have a name?
3 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 6:26AM
chaski
KEEP THE BIRD! Stunning! A beautiful art piece. No kidding! And keep the shell (?) next to it. Almost HAS to be there. You have a great sense of what works. You've done wonders here. Trust your own instinct cuz it's spot on.
27 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 6:26AM
Marysia Stelter
Overall, the room looks clean and crisp. A very nice job! The bird is out of scale, but like the idea of it. A smaller piece over the fireplace, or two related pieces of art would be less "heavy". The mirror should be moved out and replaced with a round or popular starburst design one. A sisal rug (or other natural material) would be nice to anchor the space. People need places to put their drinks, so don't get rid of the tables/lights. If you ever crave color or pattern, use throw pillows.
1 Like   March 17, 2013 at 6:27AM
LOVE this space. So quirky. The bird is way too big and absolutely perfect at the same time. How is that even possible? I can't tell what the object is on the left on the mantel, but I would replace it with something with a tiny bit of color:
Decorative Barnacle Cluster
Debbie Welch

I would not beef up the fireplace surround. Its current size strikes a perfect balance.

I agree with others that the mirror must go. It's way too harsh in this room. Replace it with a piece of art about 2/3 the size of the mirror and hang it a bit lower.

A rug would cozy up the space. It would also probably make it feel a bit smaller. I think I'd forgo the rug and maybe add a comfy throw in a muted blue instead.

Pat yourself on the back. Your room is GREAT!
7 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 6:38AM
carolins
Nice rugs that don't have scary colours in it but will still add some interest and comfort:

Venda Dhurrie, Plaster
Gold and Silver Modern Rug from Safavieh
I like Marysia Stelter's idea of changing the mirror for another one. Although, I'm not a fan of mirrors in the living room, they can have a function. Your room is light enough I should think. If you want another piece of art to keep Lulu company, that could be the place to display it. And if you go for a framed piece that has a 'glass cover', it will reflect light too if you feel that's needed.

See... that's what you get if you ask whether you should go for recessed lighting and replace Lulu (or Theo if it's a male) with something else. We come up with all kinds of other ideas, nobody mentions the recessed lighting and we are ready to organize a 'Save Lulu ' committee :-D
9 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 6:49AM
laurafbraun
The bird absolutely ROCKS!!! At Christmas I'd put a beautiful red bow around its graceful neck. Stunning. If I were to suggest anything of substance, I think the room would look beautiful with some wooden roman shades placed up to the molding. They come in all shades of brown (light, med. and dark). They're very casual and beautiful. They would give the room some warmth while keeping it in the casual and gorgeous style it already is. LOVE IT the way it is though!
1 Like   March 17, 2013 at 6:51AM
readbetter
Thanks for the great ideas, everyone! I did have a sisal rug there but have a dog with tummy problems. I got wire fencing to put up when I'm not home so i could get another rug. It is a big shell next to the bird but I like the idea of something with a little color. I'll look around. Now that I look at it, the mirror seems to be jumping out at me. I'll look into replacing it too. Thanks again. Don't you just love decorating?
5 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 6:52AM
laurafbraun
the mirror is jumping out ONLY because it needs some of the wooden shades i suggested. they would tie things up beautifully. sorry for being so opinionated. lol
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 6:55AM
Eliza Jane Darling
It's simple and beautiful (as is your kitchen) and I wouldn't change a thing. I love the linen walls against the brighter white of the ceiling, fireplace and trim. Definitely keep the bird; that's the maddest thing I've seen in a cottage and it's wonderful.
3 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 6:58AM
Lynne Forrestal
Bird must stay, so unique and unexpected and works! I think the black frame on mirror is good to balance other black in the room, but perhaps a soft pattern art there would be good, possibly even patterned fabric for an inexpensive change. Love the glass lamps, could be a little taller? perhaps try to elevate one in the corner with books?? something to try anyway.
2 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 7:00AM
laurafbraun
Ok, so now I need a bird for MY house!! LOL
3 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 7:01AM
teeooh
perfect already
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 7:02AM
carolins
Haha... no, I don't love decorating at all ;-) Sorry about the dog with tummy problems. Not nice for both of you.
Meanwhile, I've been browsing for some nice artworks that could replace your mirror, but that choosing art is such a personal thing... (I just love virtual shopping for other people). But please, take a look over here, if not for on your wall it's at least good for a chuckle or a smile (browse backwards too): http://www.etsy.com/listing/70437143/sweet-art-print-of-my-signature-bird-on?ref=v1_other_2
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 7:04AM
Ann
I love the room and the bird is great - it makes the whole room. After reading the comments, the only thing I'd move is the mirror. I have to agree that great colorful art would do better in that spot. Maybe something kind of modern and quirky with strong colors - something that would really make a statement. If a rug is added (and I don't think it's necessarily needed), I like the previous idea of a knobby bobbly pebble like texture in a solid neutral like soft grey or cream. Awesome room!
3 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 7:19AM
cadoern
I have to echo the first comment: You're asking us???? What a beautiful job you've done! I do think it would be fun to try a sunburst mirror.
3 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 7:21AM
Barb Wyckoff for JCP In Home Decorating
The room is very pretty. The bird is too large for the space. I think that instead of noticing the beauty and simple lines, your eye goes to the bird. I think it better to move the bird. Perhaps replacing the bird with simple framed black and white photography, in white framing. It would look lovely and yet it would let the entire room become its own focal point.
2 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 7:36AM
readbetter
Thanks for the art link - made me smile! And, for someone who asked - the bird does have a name. McBird since the dogs are McDuff and McGregor! I've had a great morning with you all but now have to go clean the house then maybe do some shopping to look at mirrors and art. Thanks.
5 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 7:45AM
revss
My first reaction to McBird was "OMG!" It IS what makes the room unique. I'd leave windows and mantel as is: Simple. Once someone LIVES in this space there will be newspapers, dog toys, books, misc. lying around. As a reader, I make sure that any place for sitting has a GOOD reading light! Simple halogen floor lamps? Like the idea of some color on mantle, in rug...maybe even a modest Oriental? Wouldn't show doggie accidents as easily...
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 8:15AM
ReMax - Lisa
Absolutely love the bird! Where can I get one? Was it a one of a kind?
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 9:18AM
nononanna
Keep the bird, but also keep the lamps - the light is so much nicer than from above. You could always add a little color with pillows, even change it by season. It's so cute the way it is, don't gunk it up.

I even think the fireplace is perfect the way it is, but that's a place you could paint a little different color.
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 9:30AM
carolins
The only thing missing from your house is a cat that's called McGyver :-D
8 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 9:33AM
suzie123
the room is great. you did an awesome job with a small but functional space!
i think it could be softened or warmed up a bit. i would consider a throw either with color or a natural with texture. i think it would enhance the warm feeling and would not clutter the room.
I am not sure of your style (I love the bird!) but maybe remove the mirror which does not have a lot of personality and add a grouping of whatever you like in rustic frames (or black frames, plexiglass or multi colored frames etc, depending on your style.)
i also suggest softening the room a tiny bit, whether with a carpet or maybe roman shades instead of the blinds or even natural blinds, i am wondering whether the cocktail table might be hard-maybe a round piece, a rattan possibly?
Just some thoughts but the room looks amazing.
1 Like   March 17, 2013 at 10:01AM
nononanna
Did you upload pictures of the kitchen - I'd love to see it! We;'ve rented a small house -1400 sq ft.- and I'm looking at easy things to do for the kitchen. You've done such a good job I prefer to take advice from you rathet than giving it.
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 10:13AM
DOWNS INTERIORS
I love the bird above fireplace. I think it adds chgaracter. I would suggest a small area rug to cozy up the space. Also, maybe adding either a window treatment or changing up the blinds to wooden bamboo blinds would be nice. The end tables don't bother me because they are on the smailler side and the glass table still gives that open feeling. Love the neutral palette.
1 Like   March 17, 2013 at 10:18AM
readbetter
nononanna, I'm trying to attach a kitchen pic
8 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 10:53AM
readbetter
I opted to add the fancy chimney style range hood instead of a microwave because I scrimped on everything and wanted one special "wow" item. I do not have a microwave and do not miss it at all. I put it in the basement for a while to see if I could do it. It saved a bit on the cabinetry and I splurged for ceiling-height subway tiles. I also put in the 30" island with two pot drawers which I use for company gathering for drinks. Everyone is always in the kitchen.
2 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 10:56AM
readbetter
ReMax, I purchased the bird about two years ago from Pottery Barn American Collection. You might have some luck contacting them. carolins, I do have a rescue cat named Nicky but I've lovingly renamed him McNicky to fit in the theme.
5 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 11:48AM
readbetter
What a great day with all of you. I agree that the mirror looks harsh and I'll start looking for some art to replace it. Since I fence-in the living room during the day to keep the dogs out, I can also get a rug. For now, McBird is going to stay.
4 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 11:50AM
laurafbraun
keep the mirror but lower it about 3 inches and add the bamboo blinds! the blinds will tie in with the mirror and the end tables. i'm sure you're sick of hearing from me but the more i think about it and read the comments, the more i'm convinced. lol i seriously need a bird! lol
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 11:51AM
readbetter
Before I remove it, I'll give your ideas serious consideration. I appreciate the help.
1 Like   March 17, 2013 at 11:53AM
Ann
I'm glad you're only wanting to take baby steps. The room looks so great as is. I agree with the person who said don't gunk it up. If it were me, I'd start with just replacing the mirror with art and living with that one change for a little while.
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 12:16PM
claudiann
I would swap the bird with the mirror.
1 Like   March 17, 2013 at 12:22PM
claudiann
I mean put the mirror over the Fp and the bird where the mirror is now.
1 Like   March 17, 2013 at 12:23PM
revss
I agree with putting something of color on the mantle where the white-ish piece is. Maybe a WOW glass vase in a vivid color once you decide what you want in a rug. I still like the white blinds.
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 12:47PM
tennisanyone
I would take down the big bird and mirror and get drapery panels to frame the windows and that is all it needs.
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 12:55PM
dlapollo
I would love to see this room painted
Benjamin Moore - Stone or BM - Iron Mountain
with the white furniture...
and paint the trim the same color. The white trim is old fashion as is the beige wall color
but I agree with every one else...I love the scale of the items in the room...
Large pieces in a small room is hot!
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 1:10PM
becbe54
Keep the bird...it's great. Maybe change out the mirror for a piece of artwork. I think it's a personal choice on drapery or not...I would vote no. Love the room...I would like to come for coffee too!
5 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 1:12PM
becbe54
Oh and the pillows and lamps are awesome!
3 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 1:14PM
simplify52
Absolutely LOVE your home! You've done a wonderful job. I love small spaces and that is where I'm the happiest. I wish you much happiness and happy decorating!!! Please post more as you move along!
2 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 1:19PM
calikym
That bird silhouette looks great there. It is large but narrow and 1 dimensional. It really fits in. Your room looks SO uniquely cozy right now, with a decorator touch for sure, and you shouldn't change anything. What a hip idea!!!
2 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 2:54PM
readbetter
Ann, I agree with you. Maybe a piece of art to start with and then live with a while. I really like the room but feel it needs "something." Maybe that something is art. I'm a minimalist so no chance of junking it up!
1 Like   March 17, 2013 at 3:25PM
olldroo
A minimalist with class. Your kitchen is lovely too.
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 3:46PM
moccasinlanding
Hey hey hey, I am a fan of cottage style, and you definitely are on the right track. I recognize the table in front of the sofa as the Tanner table--I got two of them myself from Pottery Barn and they continue to be absolutely wonderful in many situations. I also got the smaller Tanner nesting tables for a tiny sitting room and they became the spot for a table lamp on one, and I pulled out the little nesting one to serve for cocktails when we held our grown-up conversations in that sitting room. What I did not get was the wider taller console or desk in the Tanner line, since that cottage was a Cape and more traditional than that. Visually, the glass topped black wrought iron tables take up very little space.

Not sure, but I think your lamp is also one I have from Pottery Barn, the squared off lampshade and the squared off wide mouthed jug with a French lamp lid and external cording. Yours is in better shape than mine, though, since my parrot loves to perforate the shade.

I would keep that wrought iron table for sure. In the corner where that heavy legged table is, perhaps that is where you could get the nesting Tanner glass topped tables. You might also consider the Tanner console in the spot where the table lamp in the foreground is located. Or maybe a white Parsons style desk with that same lamp still on it.

Replace the mirror, you do not need a reflective surface in this room. Find some frame that is a gallery style, super simple and the same width as the legs of your glass topped small low table. That is one option. Another option is to go to an architectural salvage place and find a pair of old peeling cypress shutters from an old house, and put them on the floor in that corner where the mirror now is, and maybe hang a picture or some fond found object from the louvers with an S hook. Perhaps you have such a tall much used old thing around already. Keep it true to your individual style and don't feel it must be a cliche.

I think that my spin of the southern creole cottage a la cape made ours sell so quickly. By the time my husband closes the sale, it will be 5 weeks from first open house to that date. In fact, the buyer was at the very first open house, and before the second open house, they'd placed an offer which we accepted. Plus, they wanted all of the contents, so essentially we are picking up our suitcases and leaving! Just personal stuff is all we are taking, but I did want my silverware and two paintings done by a friend. It remains a house that is comfortable and well loved for the 50 years that my husband lived in it. But it is the changes I made ( we married 7 years ago) that brought his cape to its present fortunate quickly sold position. A cape is not for everybody. It takes someone special to properly value the cozy personal life one can enjoy in such a home. And Readbetter, I think you are nailing it in your home! Congratulations, and keep up the good work....

(Good lord, I messed up the pictures! sorry)
1 Like   March 17, 2013 at 4:00PM
Gary Presto
Agreed, IMO nice job here with a nice balance of everything, in terms of furnishings, shapes, placing and colors.
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 4:05PM
readbetter
Moccasin landing, thanks for the great ideas. I see you are a Pottery Barn fan like me. I like your idea of Tanner nesting tables. I grew up in a cape and bought this little cape five years ago the minute I saw it. Been renovating sine as it was in need of some love.
1 Like   March 17, 2013 at 4:19PM
moccasinlanding
Sorry I messed up with the photos. I cannot figure how to correct an attachment made by mistake.
One of Sarah Susanka's books, CREATING THE NOT SO BIG HOUSE, gives great ideas. Also, Russell Versaci's CREATING A NEW OLD HOUSE is a fine book. I have several on this subject, but all packed away until we remodel our NEW old house, a cottage in south Alabama! :)

What I learned about the cape up in Massachusetts, and about being happy in a home, has become part of my life now. "DOING" a house is a life long process, since we keep evolving too. Enjoy the process.
3 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 4:43PM
readbetter
Good luck with your move, moccasin. Send us some pictures as you become part of your new house and it becomes part of you
2 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 4:56PM
wolfpackmom
I love your house - would love to down size like you have done. I am also a minimalist, unfortunately my husband is not. I could live very comfortably in your square footage. You have done a great job with your remodels. I'm jealous!
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 5:05PM
Love it all. My only thought it to replace your blinds with plantation shutters and get a Kennebunk throw to match the pillows. Magazine quality.

1 Like   March 17, 2013 at 5:09PM
wolfpackmom
this company has great inexpensive prints that you can frame - for a pop of color. http://www.etsy.com/shop/lauratrevey
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 5:11PM
wolfpackmom
judyg - kennebunk throws can be pricey (for me) do you know where to get them without paying so much?
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 5:21PM
Lkristine
I realize it is just a matter of opinion and personal taste, but to me, the bird is way to big and not doing your beautiful room the justice it deserves, nor is the mirror on the opposing wall. I love the idea of a mirror, however, I would put it above the fireplace. Here is an example, http://www.neimanmarcus.com/p/Cyrus-Mirror/prod32210016_cat40520732__/?icid=&searchType=EndecaDrivenCat&rte=%252Fcategory.service%253FitemId%253Dcat40520732%2526pageSize%253D30%2526No%253D90%2526refinements%253D&eItemId=prod32210016&cmCat=product Then some art in place of where you currently have the rectangle mirror, example art, http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Sara-Abbott-Entrancement-I-Framed-Art-Print/3131709/product.html And to visually widen the room, a chevron rug like this would look awesome! http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Luna-Black-and-White-Chevron-Shag-Rug-5-x-8/6421965/product.html And you could leave your wall color as it is, or add a little more color to it, it does quite simply depend on personal taste.
8 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 5:41PM
shermunsgranny
Since you have a beach theme going why not some shells in the lamp bases. Also one of those nubby textured sand colored rugs would be nice and add texture. Love the bird , I would remove the big shell and put at base of fireplace at one side. Would tie in shells in lamp bases if you add some pretty room !
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 5:50PM
Keep that bird. Your room is fantastic. Everything works.
5 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 5:53PM
njmomma
Love the above painting. Those colors would look great in this room. You may want to use it as an inspiration piece for picking an area rug. Use in place of the mirror.
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 5:55PM
wolfpacmom, try Amazon for the Kennebunk throws. Pricing is good.
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 5:58PM
Southern Patina Interiors
The bird plaque is too large for over the fireplace. It might look interesting on the right side wall instead. I would introduce some color in the room - you have such a neutral pallet that you can switch out the color with seasons, i.e. something bright & cheerful in summer, and warmer browns, rust, black in the fall/winter.
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 6:00PM
mjmil
Love what you have done so far. Your little cottage is a welcoming space. I would keep the end tables and coffee table. I feel they ground the space. I am in agreement with the suggestion to change out the mirror for a beautiful piece of art and add a rug. I also think the addition of some curtain panels would add a warm cozy touch: http://www.westelm.com/products/luxe-window-panel-platinum-t251/?pkey=cwindow-panels-curtains-shades or http://www.westelm.com/products/ikat-ogee-linen-window-panel-r917/?pkey=cwindow-panels-curtains-shades
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 7:15PM
dearhumans
I hope I'm not repeating. Not enough time to read all the posts. I would vote for putting a mirror where you have the bird. Mirrors exponentially increase the sense of space and also add light. You did a great job though. Good luck with it!
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 7:22PM
I see now that you have a big shell on the mantel. I like it. How about turning it over and sticking an air plant in it for a bit of color?
0 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 8:25AM
readbetter
LKristine, thanks for the samples. I really love that sunburst mirror. I wonder if the blue sky of the print will clash with the blue of my pillows though. You folks have me thinking about art again today. Thank you all.
0 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 8:37AM
Lkristine
It might clash, I think it just depends on whom is looking at it. LOL. I think different blues blend, but, that being said, it doesn't match your pillows! Here are some other ideas for art. And BTW, I should have said above, you have done an amazing job. I have had very small rooms, and they are difficult!!!! Anyway, more examples that probably match better! http://www.wayfair.com/Amanti-Art-Gray-and-Black-Eucalyptus-Framed-Print-by-Steven-N.-Meyers-Set-of-2-DSW406537-XAQ3149.html http://www.wayfair.com/Big-Fish-Art-Fitch-Sealife-I-Wall-Art-44070-BIF1300.html http://www.wayfair.com/Amanti-Art-Thinking-of-Him-Framed-Print-by-Roy-Lichtenstein-DSW416328-XAQ3037.html http://www.wayfair.com/Big-Fish-Art-Paisley-Wall-Art-Collection-in-Blue-44783-BIF1477.html
1 Like   March 18, 2013 at 5:43PM
aniluap2
Love the room. Have not read all the comments so I'm not sure if I'm repeating but I would move the small table on the left side of the sfa do that you can move the sofa away from the wall and centered more on the fireplace. It looks a little crammed in the corner. You could always get a fold down tray table if needed for guests. Other than a rug which you are replacing, you nailed it!
0 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 6:01PM
Jayme H.
I love the bird...I just put a big crab over our toilet!
2 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 6:05PM
katheros99
Absolutely love the bird! IMO it has the same visual weight of the window above the couch... Gives a nice bit of symmetry in such a charming way!
2 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 7:37PM
loulou64
I love it how it is and definitely keep the bird! You don't need advice from anyone else. Just trust your instincts and keep doing what you have been doing. You are a natural!
8 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 8:32PM
Suzanne Eder
I love the bird, but I think it makes the room look smaller. Everything else looks great. I agree about a rug.
0 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 8:59PM
Maureen Randall
Love your room! Great style! How about adding some sparkle to the mantle, maybe a few pieces in mercury glass, like the ones they sell in the Pottery Barn Catalogs!
0 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 9:04PM
Maureen Randall
Found a cool pic you may like! Wall color is Tranquility by Benjamin Moore.
13 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 10:45PM
Maureen Randall
Mantle is beefed up a bit, and I love the soft beautiful color!
0 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 10:48PM
readbetter
Thank you, Maureen, it is pretty.
2 Likes   March 19, 2013 at 8:49AM
bygeorgi
Yes , pretty room , just needs a bit of personality. I like the bird but it is a bit large, if you had a scroll or jig saw it could be cut down or in a different shape. Maybe a sea grass rug would tie the other natural elements together and some simple canvas art, like the branchy one posted by Lkristine to repeat the open and dark legs on the tables. A house plant or two would really bring some life into the room.
0 Likes   March 19, 2013 at 9:14AM
carolins
Oh noooo!!! Don't jig saw Lulu into another McBird :-D
8 Likes   March 19, 2013 at 9:35AM
bygeorgi
Ha ha.... doesn't have to be a bird, the salvaged wood look is nice above the mantle. I would probably cut it round and place a smaller mirror on it . Of course swap out the other mirror for art.
0 Likes   March 19, 2013 at 9:51AM
Lynne Forrestal
The oversize of the bird is the quirkyness ( is that a word :)... that makes it work...If you want a room with no surprises, then the bird doesn't work.... personally, I think it's great! I do agree with moving the mirror and replacing with art, I think a graphic, large print of a simple item would work well, such as a large flower head, or shell ...with same colors in the room, the room is basically monochromatic, so whites in the flower or shell print with dark matting/ background, Large scaled to balance the bird
Love your room!
7 Likes   March 19, 2013 at 9:51AM
gpai
the bird is definitely unique and shows a side of your personality in the room. however, in my opinion, the sofa seems to be gobbling up the entire room and making it seem even smaller than what you described. Maybe break up the seating situation into multiple types of furniture.
0 Likes   March 19, 2013 at 10:15AM
mainstreetschool
Lovely room! Keep the bird! In the modified picture (with it removed) the room looks smaller. Instead of replacing the mirror, cover the frame with shells and sand. You could let some of the dark frame show through. Maybe add a bumpy rug. And my dog is McGyver, named by my son, Pete, and after his favorite show, "McGyver". I love decorating too!
3 Likes   March 19, 2013 at 5:08PM
chaski
The room died without the presence of the bird (in one of the attached photos above that erased it). Can't believe some of the suggestions made which would make this room look like a furniture store alcove display--devoid of personality, character, whimsy, warmth, life.
EVERYBODY can't help but smile looking at the bird. ...and admire the owner's risking decorum by displaying it front and center. Bravo!

I stand by my earlier comment: "KEEP THE BIRD! Stunning! A beautiful art piece. No kidding! And keep the shell (?) next to it. Almost HAS to be there.You have a great sense of what works. You've done wonders here. Trust your own instinct cuz it's spot on."
17 Likes   March 19, 2013 at 5:11PM
laurafbraun
This poor woman will probably never ask for advice again! lol, lol. But, I stand by my position that keeping the bird while lowering the mirror a few inches AND adding wooden roman shades (they come in white) placed up to the molding above the windows. This will contain everything so that when one walks in they will say wow, what a beautiful room instead of always commenting on the bird. Also, with the shades placed up to the ceiling, that will be in line with the top of the bird's head...symmetry. Ok, I'll go away now. lol
1 Like   March 19, 2013 at 5:26PM
laurafbraun
ps...pillow and art never clash. NEVER.
1 Like   March 19, 2013 at 5:27PM
Jayme H.
I would keep a rug light if u get one..I LOVE your room, think it needed very few changes and hope u don't change a whole lot of it!
2 Likes   March 19, 2013 at 6:37PM
Ann
Readbetter, did you find art to replace the mirror? I love your room and would love to see a new picture if you change it.
0 Likes   March 23, 2013 at 9:08AM
snyggt
Love your room,and I love the bird
2 Likes   March 23, 2013 at 9:11AM
butlera
Love the room! I wouldn't change anything! :)
0 Likes   March 23, 2013 at 9:14AM
readbetter
OK, here's what I'm doing. The bird is flying down to the basement where I'm going to build an extra room. I know - I liked him too. However, he's being replaced by a pelican. You have inspired me to order a real painting in the same size as the mirror in blues and grays (Pelican by Birds in Hand, Etsy). The mirror is now over the fireplace (the room looks bigger). I'd really like to replace it with the sunburst someone suggested but can't afford that and the painting right now. I will send photos when the painting is finished - about 2 weeks. I hope I like it.
5 Likes   March 23, 2013 at 2:36PM
simplify52
I just looked at the pelican painting you have commissioned. I LOVE it and think it will be perfect for your beautiful home! Can't wait to see it in your home!
0 Likes   March 23, 2013 at 2:57PM
Ann
Oh my gosh, that will look fantastic in your room! Sorry to see the current bird fly to the basement, but the room will look great and I can't wait to see a picture.
0 Likes   March 23, 2013 at 3:04PM
olldroo
RIP McBird
2 Likes   March 23, 2013 at 4:18PM
Jayme H.
Bummer...The Bird...added a lot of whimsical character
8 Likes   March 23, 2013 at 4:33PM
wickedwhite
The bird IS the room! Don't put him in the basement...
7 Likes   March 23, 2013 at 4:38PM
Margaret B
Oh please don't banish the bird to the basement. It is wonderful and adds whimsy to the room. Everyone has paintings and mirrors over their fireplace, but the bird is so unique.
4 Likes   March 23, 2013 at 5:42PM
Jayme H.
I am instigating a revolt for the return of the bird...
25 Likes   March 23, 2013 at 5:46PM
olldroo
Yes, Jayme - let's start a petition. All those in favour of retaining McBird as is please "like" Jayme's comment.
9 Likes   March 23, 2013 at 5:48PM
cooperg20
This is already the perfect room, I wouldn't change a thing.
2 Likes   March 23, 2013 at 5:51PM
Terri Shuh
loving the bird . . . .please leave it . .. . reminds me of Louisiana Pelican . .my state bird
1 Like   March 23, 2013 at 6:00PM
laurafbraun
OMG! This is too funny! I don't know who I should feel badly for. Readbetter or McBird?!
0 Likes   March 23, 2013 at 6:19PM
readbetter
Geez guys! I'm feeling guilty now but you will really like the pelican. I promise to take good care of McBird and visit him every day downstairs.
8 Likes   March 23, 2013 at 6:28PM
Jayme H.
A bit of whimsy and character can carry a room...enough said on my part...best wishes..on whatever u choose to do with your home.
1 Like   March 23, 2013 at 6:31PM
olldroo
Coffee just won't be the same.
2 Likes   March 23, 2013 at 6:35PM
revss
Lots of rooms are lovely. The bird made yours unforgettable!
3 Likes   March 23, 2013 at 7:40PM
heatherd1968
Is there room for the bird to sit on the floor to the left of the fire? He's the star of this room!
1 Like   March 23, 2013 at 7:52PM
Ann
I must agree that the large bird made your room unforgettable, but you have great taste and your new idea will be wonderful too.
0 Likes   March 23, 2013 at 8:52PM
carolins
I'm missing McBird already. Although I like its pelican friend that will fly into your room, but I feel sorry for McBird :-(
...chuckling...
I'm with Jayme and Olldroo, next time we have coffee over at your place we'll see if we can find a place in your room for all of you.
1 Like   March 24, 2013 at 3:02AM
rab426
I love your cottage living room, but I would just make a few changes. I would get rid of the pelican over your fireplace and replace it with the mirror. The mirror will reflect the view from the window. You also need some pops of color, perhaps colorful pillows and a throw. I would also replace the small coffee table with a medium size fabric or leather ottoman. One with could be used for your feet, as well as a table.
0 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 3:34AM
readbetter
OMG, I'm so cofused now! I'm never sure of myself when decorating. This morning, I put McBird back over the fireplace and left the mirror out of the room. What would happen if I replaced the mirror with a sunburst (shown above)? With that dark-framed mirror gone, the room looks brighter. I can always put the new pelican painting in the kitchen or back room. HELP!
0 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 4:21AM
lauriels
I think your room is beautiful. If it were mine I would add an area rug. I would probably take the mirror down and put artwork there. Other than that it is really beautiful.
0 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 4:26AM
readbetter
Here's the rom without the dark mirror. All kidding aside, I like McBird too, but I was trying to incorporate some art ino the room like you all suggested. Is the bird considered "art?" In place of the dark mirror, would a calm, simple seascape painting go there? Or the sunburst mirror? Is it getting "too junky" with the bird, a mirror/art AND the blue pillows?
1 Like   March 24, 2013 at 4:30AM
olldroo
Of course McBird is art and I think a seascape painting perfect for the theme you have happening.
6 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 4:36AM
njmomma
I'm glad you brought the mcbird back into the room and I love the art work you commissioned, but I would not replace the mirror with another mirror. You need art work there. Not the pelican, I would put that in another room, like I said love the pelican. You need a scene, landscape, but not a mirror.
1 Like   March 24, 2013 at 4:38AM
rab426
I would still take away McBird. It really is too big for the room. If the sunburst is mirrored, then I would go ahead and put that over the fireplace. Especially if you don't like the dark-framed mirror. The mirror, whichever one you decide to use, placed over the fireplace will reflect the light from the window and will make your living room feel larger. I love the color of your walls because it adds warmth to the room. If you can find a sisal rug to place in front of your sectional, that will add texture and warmth to the room also. I would also get some long, white shear curtains for the windows. If you live near an IKEA store, you can find the rug and curtains fairly cheap there, as well as some colorful accessories, i.e. pillows. I know decorating can be overwhelming sometimes, but remember, "Rome wasn't built in a day!". Enjoy the process and relax.
0 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 4:40AM
njmomma
pics for inspiration: I like the light house painting, roll over it and enlarge, you will see what I see.
2 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 4:58AM
readbetter
Where did you find the lighthouse painting so I can go look further? It's pretty.
1 Like   March 24, 2013 at 5:05AM
njmomma
original water color etsy
3 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 5:15AM
njmomma
0 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 5:24AM
readbetter
Thank you, these are beautiful.
1 Like   March 24, 2013 at 5:27AM
olldroo
I like that black/white and blue. Really different.
1 Like   March 24, 2013 at 5:40AM
carolins
I like both lighthouse paintings. And I do think that a sunburst mirror could be very nice in that corner too. It's good to see poor old McBird back in its nest. But its YOU who has to like it. We're only popping in for a coffee and a giggle now and again. Don't doubt yourself. You really have a good eye for design. Be daring. If you only buy pieces that you really, really love, the worst thing that can happen is that it doesn't look good in the spot you thought to put it. That happens to all of us.
So... you'll find a different place and still love it.
2 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 5:56AM
njmomma
I agee with you olldroo, it ties in the fireplace and the tables in the room.
0 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 5:58AM
Distinguished Flooring LLC
Very nice leave it be thus staying true to your minimalist perspective
0 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 6:00AM
olldroo
njmommo - my old brain won't come up with the word I'm looking for but it is the raw, weatherbeaten look of the bird and the harshness of the black and white that just go. It's not pretty, pretty, there is a dynamic to it.
1 Like   March 24, 2013 at 6:05AM
martine81684
I love your room. Clicked on your photo because the room drew me in. I lived in a small cottage in CT for a short time and can relate to the challenge and charm of 9x9.
0 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 6:07AM
readbetter
njmommo, I think that "roughness" is what I like too - makes the room less stuffy, formal looking. I'm having the room painted (same color) and all the holes from old mistakes patched along with new windows with upper grills so I have to get this finalized soon. Are you thinking of that lighthouse painting over the couch instead of a mirror?
0 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 6:15AM
olldroo
Well, I'm thinking of it in lieu of the mirror. I'm not a mirror person although I see them used a lot in the US, I just sometimes wonder what the need for them is. People talk about them making a room look larger but most of them are so small, it just doesn't add up to me. I don't know if it is because of the flash or not, but your mirror sort of comes at me, which actually brings the wall in too.
0 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 6:23AM
aletabadowski
I love the pelican but a little large, and takes away from the fireplace. Try putting it at baseboard level to the left of the fireplace - different. I would replace the table and lamp in the corner with a contemporary floor lamp. Ditch the mirror and replace with artwork and add artwork above the fireplace - maybe a collection of some sort. I would also put roman blinds at the windows for a more modern sleek look and to let in more light when they are pulled up half way. Rug would add interest.
0 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 6:23AM
aletabadowski
For artwork in the corner I would put one long, tall piece that has color similar to your pillows and future rug.
0 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 6:26AM
njmomma
Yes! I was thinking of that lighthouse painting over the couch instead of the mirror.

Ties in the fireplace, tables and the blue works with your pillows.
1 Like   March 24, 2013 at 6:29AM
readbetter
That lighthouse painting comes largest in 12x16 which I think might be too skimpy for the wall which is 49". Should it be framed with a very large mat?????
0 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 6:47AM
njmomma
This when you need to do a trial and error and then decide. Buy a matted 12x16 that is framed that can easily be returned in the size you need for that wall and try it on the wall and see if that if you will be happy with the visual.

If you like the size of the mirror on that wall, that is the size you need for the painting. Possibly a double matt??? for the size you want. Can you possibly go smaller on that wall???? buy different sizes to check out the visual.
1 Like   March 24, 2013 at 6:55AM
olldroo
How big is your mirror? I think you could go down to the mirror size without the frame ok, maybe even smaller. Look at the 3rd picture lkristine posted, that looks good and the black frame and white mat would set the black and white off well, but really make the blue pop.
0 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 6:58AM
readbetter
The mirror, without the frame, is 24x30. I will keep that size in mind. Thanks.
1 Like   March 24, 2013 at 7:02AM
olldroo
I think that will be too big for the picture. Keep the picture Lkristine posted in mind and do as njmomma suggested and buy a couple of sizes of frames you can return and try them out. So love your return policies over there. It is hard to tell not standing in a room with a tape measure.

I was also thinking of a frame in a distressed timber that would "match" McBird. Those set of three lighthouse pictures njmomma posted would be similar in that respect and I quite like that idea. I wonder what size they are.

Must get to bed, come back to you tomorrow.
1 Like   March 24, 2013 at 7:19AM
carolins
But don't go with a frame that is as wide as the frame around the mirror. A thinner black would be better I think.
Made you a (really bad) mock-up, just to give you a ROUGH idea:
2 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 7:26AM
shermunsgranny
The mirror is too big and distracts from the room I know the bird is really large, but I like him...I always think you should have what makes you happy whenever you are in the room . We all have different ideas, but you are living there! Enjoy it!
1 Like   March 24, 2013 at 7:36AM
readbetter
Thank you. I am a visual learner!
0 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 7:41AM
Lynne Forrestal
I like the black frame on picture, it brings the black up and throughout the space, fireplace, tables then up on the wall without being too heavy
0 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 7:44AM
readbetter
I've got to get ready to go out but I'll make coffee for us all later. I'm going to await the flight of the new pelican painting and then switch things around and make a decision. Too many good ideas which are making me anxious because I truly don't know what to do. I have a basement full of impulse purchases. I'll take a breath while I'm out. Thanks again to you all.
2 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 7:46AM
Terri Shuh
carolins that picture you made is way cool!! I need to send you my whole condo!! LOL
1 Like   March 24, 2013 at 7:47AM
orangecamera
Hmmm, I like the bird a lot, and personally I'd keep it. I'm afraid that lighthouse picture is starting to pull away from your minimalism and neutral palette too much. In carolins' mockup, the picture becomes the focus of the room, rather than enhancing what you already have.

Take a look at this lighthouse picture, with a muted palette. The composition also draws the eye "away", which might help to make your room look bigger. If you like it, it can be found here: http://www.allposters.com/-sp/The-Channel-at-Gravelines-Petit-Fort-Philippe-Posters_i9073091_.htm
3 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 7:57AM
inabunker
Wow, can you believe how many people are inspired by your home? It tells me how much your place connects with us. The only thing I would do is get a rug, may a soft blue-gray and off white rug and change the mirror out for a coastal painting.
0 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 8:04AM
Ann
Good idea to wait for the pelican painting and switch things around. I really do think your idea of mirror above fireplace and new pelican art will be very nice. Also try McBird and pelican in same room. I wouldn't discount that idea until you try it. I think one of those two will be great without any new purchases.
0 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 8:10AM
readbetter
inabunker, I am awed at all the comments on my little corner of the world. We've had a lot of fun along the way. I liked the softness and depth of the painting you sent - thanks. Would you hang as is or framed? Thanks so much. I really have to get out the door now. This is so addictive!
1 Like   March 24, 2013 at 8:11AM
Lilly nunes
Mcbird is stealing the show in this living area. I think his got to go.... I agree on having a nice black an white picture on a white frame. And the black n white rug some had post here. Good luck and BTW beautiful home!!!!
0 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 9:30AM
orangecamera
@readbetter, I've had your lovely room on my mind as I've been out running errands today. And ya know how lack of sleep makes you think silly things? Here's what popped into my brain: even though you live in a tiny, tiny cottage...with all your pets' names (and the bird's), you also live in a McMansion ;)
2 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 12:15PM
mjmil
You have a beautiful space, and I love Mcbird he is unique. I prefer orangecamera's painting to the 1st lighthouse. I think it is softer and fits in better with your color palette. The 1st one is a little too stark and I agree draws too much attention instead of supporting the rest of the room. Thanks for sharing your space.
0 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 12:31PM
aniluap2
Have youthougt about just hanging a couple reproductions of old scientific illustrations of coral , sea fans, sea urchins or shells, instead of a painting or print, they are very sparse but add a little interest and color.
1 Like   March 24, 2013 at 12:58PM
moccasinlanding
That soft pointillistic style painting can go unframed to match the style of your room. If you put it in that spot beside the window above the sofa, bring it down from the top edge of the window moldings. Envision the wall space as the mat around it. Eye level, not high. AND, I think a mirror is a ho-hum choice and not as imaginative/individualistic as your room needs. Unless it is old painted and faded wood frame with a mirror losing its silvery back. Softly, low-key, not too serious, definitely not boring.

I get a sympatico feeling looking at your space, which reveals a lot about your nature. You know what you like, and as someone noted you also have good taste-- continue to be true to that in your future choices.
3 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 1:10PM
readbetter
orangecamera, you made me laugh out loud. Thanks. I truly love my McMansion! That's what it feels like to me.
1 Like   March 24, 2013 at 1:29PM
chaski
19 Likes and counting re my comments on The Bird and what you've accomplished. That should give you an idea of what people who see the original picture of your living room think about your choices.
Others have made well-meaning suggestions, but you are letting yourself get confused and distracted and now mistrust your own judgment. Yes, consider others' notions of what you should put up on your walls....but my advise is to stay true to yourself.
#1 rule: Please yourself....Your original instincts were right on.
12 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 2:42PM
revss
I think chaski is "right on". Maybe take a long breather from this discussion and get clear again with your own heart's love for your home.
1 Like   March 24, 2013 at 6:34PM
mainstreetschool
I agree with chaski and revs. Use what you like. You asked for input, not total revamp of the room. I love Mcbird,a dn I think you have a lovely room. Relax and enjoy. When people don't follow the continual thread, they miss the changes you have already decided on. Make it your room.
3 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 7:28PM
olldroo
AMEN!!!
2 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 8:40PM
readbetter
And a deep breath it will be now. I have an idea or two cooking. Thank you all for your interest and ideas. Ill post a pic of any changes but my money has to go to other indoor and outdoor projects now so there won't be much change, if any.

What I didn't say before is that this house has undergone a complete Renovation in the five years I've been here from roof to windows to electric and some rotting walls to new stairs and electric. Not only am I broke, I'm also dusty and tired. I'm trying to do a little decorating before doing the bathroom and two outside stoops. Whew! What a busy and exciting time. This is the fun part and I'm almost done!
5 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 11:45PM
readbetter
Also a new kitchen that was a gut job as was the back room that I use for TV watching and guest room/office. As you can see, I don't sleep much. As someone said above, it IS my McMansion.
4 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 11:50PM
olldroo
Readbetter, I can empathise with how you are feeling, I think the brain overload is the worst part. I am so much more mentally exhausted than physically. At least I have bathrooms done but not looking forward to the kitchen. You are doing a great job, have confidence and keep being true to you.
0 Likes   March 25, 2013 at 3:48AM
revss
olldroo: DO allow your energy to get restored before tackling the K! Tooo many decisions for a tired brain & body! Wish there were a magic wand to get it done while we're sleeping-or on a vacation!
0 Likes   March 25, 2013 at 6:36AM
Maria Chiarino
I would move the pelican to where the mirror is and add framed art in coastal colors of your choice over the fireplace. Adding a small area rug and pillows that complement the art will tie everything together. I would not remove lamps or end tables. You could switch out one for a ceramic garden stool, if you like.
0 Likes   March 25, 2013 at 6:48AM
Maria Chiarino
Oops! See that the pelican won't fit but it is too large for over the mantle. I'd use it somewhere else.
0 Likes   March 25, 2013 at 6:51AM
olldroo
Thanks revss - kitchen, family room and laundry definitely on hold till next year. We have family o/s and dh wants to travel to visit in between their trips here, so it will be February before we can think about it. Gives me time to really put all the finishing touches to the rest of the house. Still have some major furniture purchases to decide and shopping for artwork and accessories like readbetter is doing just takes so much time. Unfortunately, we don't enjoy the fabulous refund policies the US has so you have to be 100% sure of everything.
0 Likes   March 25, 2013 at 7:01AM
moccasinlanding
We're in the last planning stage before launching a "kitchen" redo that includes new elec, new gas, new hardwood throughout, new windows, new deck, AND new roof, with an extension to the master suite for a sitting room. We said it's our Last Hurrah, but small projects will be done personally....like tall baseboards and the window seat under the dining room windows. It is exhausting. I put myself to sleep at night mentally walking through the new plan, one way I enjoy the process.
1 Like   March 25, 2013 at 8:03AM
lnsail
Your room is fantastic...love McBird! He gives the beach look in a clean and uncluttered style. Hopefully McPelican can find a different perch ( :
1 Like   March 25, 2013 at 9:01AM
readbetter
I think McPelican will adorn the blank kitchen wall. I saw it in a Houzz look and loved it! Will add some color in the all-white and black room. I'll send pics. And BTW, thanks so much.
5 Likes   March 25, 2013 at 10:35AM
olldroo
moccasinlanding - you can borrow my mantra - This IS fun .......... ohhhhhhhmmmmmm
1 Like   March 25, 2013 at 11:35PM
moccasinlanding
Ooohhhhhhmmmmmm..........works for me! The smile is back on my face. :)
2 Likes   March 26, 2013 at 7:25AM
njmomma
Just a thought, saw these on Joss and Main
1 Like   March 26, 2013 at 10:48PM
robinson1823
McBird's large size has an easy fix: cut away 3"-4" from straight across his bottom and sit him back on the f/p. When there is some "breathing room" between his head and your crown molding he will look perfect... still a big, dramatic presence w/o appearing to loom over the room..
I would like to see a stretched canvas in place of your mirror, no frame, no glass. Your windows are framed glass rectangles, putting another between them is too repetitious. Rather than a literal allusion to the sea, an abstract would be great....why not try your own hand at creating one ?

I would love to see either whitewashed woven blinds or canvas roman shades to soften your windows w/o add fabric or frills....and pull out the blue of your throw pillows with a tonal rag rug
0 Likes   March 30, 2013 at 9:02PM
kimdee24
What a great thread, made me smile! I love your room, both before and however it turns out in the end, it's such a great space! I look forward to seeing the outcome.
1 Like   March 30, 2013 at 9:28PM
carolins
Hi there,
I was just browsing Houzz, looking for an inspirational photo for another project, and look what I found? My first thoughts were: where is McBird? and WOW, she's finally over her fear of colour! ;-)

1 Like   April 3, 2013 at 11:19AM
acharney
I love McBird and would be sad to see him go. It is what attracted me to this discussion. Perhaps you could add a light blue/gray rug to the space. http://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/rugs/rugs-usa-vintage-aubusson/spruce-blue/200VBVI1C-7100112.html (just something to get you thinking, I'm not sure this one would actually work).
0 Likes   April 3, 2013 at 2:36PM
olldroo
carolins, behave!!! At first glance you got me thinking but that room is a much larger room, even though you only see part of it. I liked the blue blind but when you realise readbetter has another larger window behind the lounge that would also need a blue blind, I think the blue would be too much. McBird wouldn't look half as good there either, he would be fighting with all the books and wouldn't have half the impact. As much as this room looks great, I still think readbetter has really got her's right. Just proves though how complex decorating can be, rooms definitely have an individuality and sterotyping just doesn't work. So much is trial and error.
2 Likes   April 3, 2013 at 8:35PM
carolins
Olldroo, it's true what you say about every room being individual and so is every person who lives in it. But really, doesn't it at first glance remind you of the McMansion?
0 Likes   April 3, 2013 at 11:48PM
olldroo
Definitely, carolins, I think that is what made me really start to look into it and compare, more for when I look for ideas for myself too. I thought it a perfect example of how much trouble people can get into trying to copy a room they like because there will always be something different and unless you can see that difference and make the adjustments for it, you may never be happy with the finish. I think it is a perfect example of what to look for to adjust a photo idea to a real room.
0 Likes   April 4, 2013 at 2:57AM
readbetter
It does look like my McMansion but, sorry, it is not. I have to use my other computer later or tomorrow to attach a picture of what I did. McBird is still in the McMansion but has flown to the upstairs landing. Someone new has taken over the living room. I can't wait to show you.
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 7:51AM
carolins
Can't wait to see :-)
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 8:10AM
readbetter
Here goes!
7 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 8:30AM
readbetter
The sun was changing and the painting looks a little darker than it really is. Meet McPelican. He flew here to Long Island all the way from Oklahoma (Birds In Hand, Etsy). I'm working on the back room next - making a guest room. I will need you again!
3 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 8:37AM
carolins
He's HUGE!! But I like him very much. Makes a definite statement. Do you like it? I think he's a great choice. Adds more depth than the mirror did. And McBird and McPelican together in your McRoom would indeed be a bit too much of a good McThing.
Thumbs up from me :-D
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 9:02AM
Lynne Forrestal
Love the Pelican!
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 9:12AM
aniluap2
Looks great and still adds loads of personality to the room.
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 9:32AM
Margaret B
Was so sad when McBird was banished to the basement. I like the new pelican, room looks balanced with the mirror and new painting. Well done
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 9:35AM
Branch
I would like to see some texture, perhaps a small sisal rug under the table, or perhaps a woven basket like round coffee table. I would add a potted tall plant next to the fireplace also. The room is beautiful.
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 10:02AM
readbetter
carolins, yes, I do like him a lot! I might be afraid of color but, when I do something, I do it McBIG! The room actually feels very warm and cozy with the blue. Margart B, McBird only flew to the upstairs landing so don't worry about him in the basement. Branch, I can't do rugs right now because of my dogs but I will certainly add one in years to come or might risk it next winter. I can't wait to have a dinner party now!
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 11:57AM
carolins
I'm McChuckling now :-)
2 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 12:04PM
Ann
readbetter - I bet you do like him a lot. The room looks wonderful! I'd been looking forward to seeing your new art on the wall - good choice!
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 12:29PM
shermunsgranny
I do like your new painting... Was it too big over the fireplace, or did you want to draw the eye towards the corner of the room..think the fireplace area looks a little lonely now.... Ha .. But glad you kept the bird .. He was a conversation piece...you room is great...
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 12:46PM
readbetter
Shermunsgranny, I tried the painting over fireplace but I like it better where it is now as that corner seemed bare. I think the teeny room looks a bit larger.
2 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 1:17PM
Lynne Forrestal
I just looked at your first photo ( before) which was great!, and the most recent one, Moving the mirror and additon the darker pelican, really made a difference! Love it.. the darker shade of mirror, fireplace and pelican all balance throughout the room. I still would love to see a soft mid to dark patterned area rug in the seating area. ... I think it would anchor the grouping and tie it all together..... but it does look fresh... and great the way it is if you perfer no rug :)
1 Like   April 6, 2013 at 1:42PM
Ann
I totally agree with Lynne about the nice balance of darker shades throughout the room with the current arrangement. I also noticed that right away when I compared the original room to the new room.
1 Like   April 6, 2013 at 2:57PM
shermunsgranny
I think you have a great home, and it should be what you love.. Just enjoy it! You have done a great job...
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 3:59PM
kimdee24
McWonderful! Well done!
1 Like   April 6, 2013 at 4:02PM
olldroo
McPelican is spectacular, but not quite in the same way as McBird, however you definitely couldn't have them both in the same room. All up the room has come out great and hopefully without breaking your budget and you have options now - McBird can still come back for visits.
1 Like   April 6, 2013 at 5:03PM
robinson1823
I said it before and I'll sat it again: there are too many rectangles marching around this room.
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 7:16PM
duby
How about a mirror over the fireplace; one with a window pane grill over it would go with your cottage look and bounce light around the room visually expanding the space.
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 7:44PM
readbetter
I totally agree with you, robinson1823, about the rectangles. Pottery Barn has the Tanner table which is the round version of what I have now. It is very big but, if I take the ottoman out, the table would just fit. THEN, what do I put on it? (don't forget I'm a minimalist). In my initial design post I wanted to remove the end tables and put in overhead lighting. That would get rid of 3 square tables and replace with one big round one. I can use the square tables and the lamps in the guest room I'm working on now. Would that be more soothing to the eye?
0 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 2:47AM
readbetter
I took the tables out - what do you think? Add one big round?
1 Like   April 7, 2013 at 3:51AM
njmomma
I love the Pelican Painting there!!!!! , but the mirror over fireplace seems out of place. I believe the "too many rectangles" post above is right on, but I don't believe it is in your tables. It's the fireplace mirror. I think you need to change the shape of the mirror to something more like this, or something similar to these. Home Goods, check them out for a reasonably priced mirror.
4 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 4:03AM
njmomma
Look at the walls above the sofas and fireplace. All the rectangles, mirror, window, pelican, window. Too many rectangles, all the same size.
0 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 4:21AM
Tiaa Rutherford Interiors
I'd replace the duck and add curtains. Small end tables would hurt either
0 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 4:27AM
njmomma
The other option for the "too many rectangles" is to put the Pelican over the fireplace and break up the wall between the windows with different objects in different sizes. I bring this up because I believe you do not want curtains on the windows and the only way to break up the "too many rectangles" is to break up the rectangles visually, you need to change something

Maybe, different shaped smaller mirrors, between the windows, where the pelican is now, may be an option. Something to consider?
0 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 4:36AM
readbetter
njmomma, I see what you mean with all the same-sized rectangles along the walls - wow, too many! I will try moving McPelican over the fireplace and look at it for a while but I was thinking he kind of draws the eye into the room???? I'll try anything, so here goes.....
0 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 4:51AM
njmomma
inspiration
1 Like   April 7, 2013 at 4:53AM
njmomma
If you really like the Pelican there, keep him there. I'm not in your house, I can't see what you see. I'm only going from a pic you posted.
0 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 4:56AM
njmomma
When you enter ? the room, are you coming in through the front door? Is the door I see next to the sofa, the front door?
0 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 5:00AM
readbetter
The front door is next to the ottoman. On the other side of the front door is the dining area.
0 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 5:05AM
readbetter
Here is a better view
0 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 5:08AM
njmomma
Okay, I'm trying to visualize what you are seeing. When the Pelican is between the two windows, you get to see him in both rooms, but when the Pelican is on the fireplace, you can only see him in the living room and as you enter the front door? am I correct.

If I am, then it really is up to you, where you want the Pelican to be, because you need to enjoy your painting in your home.
0 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 5:12AM
readbetter
You can see him upon entering the house either by turning your head to the corner over the sofa or pretty straight on if he's on the fireplace. When sitting at the dining table, I cannot see him much when he's over the fireplace. However, it does eliminate the line-up of window, painting, window. I could go either way. I'll live with it a while. And, I'll look for roundness in the mirror(s). Should they be dark wood? Thanks so much.
0 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 5:15AM
carolins
I prefer McPelican in the McCorner (I have to stop putting Mc in front of everything, it's addictive). I don't think he looks as good above the McFireplace. A round mirror above the fireplace and that's it I think. But hey... you have to McLike it :-D
2 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 5:55AM
readbetter
McThanks, carolins! I just moved McPelican back to the corner and, even though it adds to the rectangle parade, I do like him there better. Every time I think I'm McDone, here I am again. But I think I'm almost McThere. A round wooden mirror? Or a sunburst? Do you like the end tables and lamps out? I think the room looks "cleaner," somehow - less cluttered. New windows coming in the winter so I can get the overhead lights done at the same time.
1 Like   April 7, 2013 at 6:04AM
Lynne Forrestal
I think you need endtables and lamps, but a round coffee table would look good, also, perhaps a barrel, round lamp shades to break up some retangles... sunburst type mirror over fireplace would be great, and something simple on the coffee table, not square or rectangular... like your shell, or a free form shallow dish with color to pick up the blues., a handmade ceramic piece ( art for the table)... just some ideas to consider along the way :)
1 Like   April 7, 2013 at 6:13AM
Lynne Forrestal
I also like mcpelican by the windows... makes more of a statement there, and you can see it entering the room and from the dining area
0 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 6:14AM
Lynne Forrestal
A piece of drift wood would add texture, still be neutral in color and be curvy
0 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 6:16AM
stylishdigs
Congratulations, what a beautiful room. Once you decide where you would like to hang your art and the mirror you are good to go. A little green or a beautiful potted orchid, whether placed on the fireplace mantle or a side table, would finish things off perfectly. Way to go!
0 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 6:16AM
inkwitch
Love it! Love it! This whole discussion has been delightful! McPelican (you're right: addictive) looks best over the sofa rather than the FP. The idea of a unique "sunburst" thingy over the FP sounds better. Oh, I admire a person who can keep a white house clean and neat -- andyou have dogs? Brave you!

Love the kitchen, too, although my first thought was upper cabs with glass doors and paint the inside a color (doesn't have to slap you in the face, but as you're doing blues, some shade of that) would add color. Know whatyou mean about a microwave: all I use mine for is warming up coffee and canned dog food!
0 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 6:19AM
inkwitch
Oh, and I prefer the small end tables -- maybe just 1 -- and lamps, and the coffee table is perfect for the scale. Suggest a really unique floor lamp for the corner. something metallic or lucite.
0 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 6:21AM
olldroo
Oh my goodness, this is really doing my head in!!! Readbetter, you put up a room that was absolutely charming and a credit to your good taste especially as a layperson. We had a consensus of agreement on that, yet 3 weeks and 220 comments later it is still being pulled to pieces, broken down and analysed. This is all about personal taste yet suddenly we seem to be looking for perfection and are now counting rectangles (sorry njmomma, I mean no disrespect)............. what is perfect, by whose standards, who wrote the book?? Even professionals don't agree.

If I may recap .................You asked what you could change and most suggested a rug, which doesn't work for you at the moment - fine, that issue is resolved.

Then you suggested the possibility of recessed lighting and doing away with the lamps and end tables. Your lamps fit your minimalist requirements because of the clear glass bases, they don't intrude at all but do add some warmth and intimacy to the room. Unless you fit dimmer switches to recessed lighting you are not going to create the intimate feeling that the lamps do, so this comes down to what you want to achieve for the room, being aware of the pros and cons of your choices.

End tables - I note you have now even taken the coffee table out - where do you or your guests put anything? As minimalist as you want to be, you still need for your guests to feel comfortable. The end tables you had were small and unobtrustive and even more so the glass coffee table. I feel the corner under near the window has gone from minimalist to bare.

Then we lost McBird, to be replaced by McPelican and everyone seems happy with him instead and where you had him meant he was visible in two rooms, which you liked.

McPelican over the fireplace just looks too top heavy. You have the black of the fireplace and then all the blacks and greys in the painting concentrated in one area of the room totally unbalancing it. When McPelican is so dominant, I think any further artwork would be lost so I think a mirror is probably your best bet over the fireplace, but I have had a feeling all along that the black frame is just too wide and heavy and impacting too much. I like the second mirror njmomma posted or a mirror framed in shells would keep your beach theme happening.

Do take some time out, sit and enjoy your room with what you have, I think in the weeks to come your room and how you use it will tell you what you need and what is best.

]
11 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 6:22AM
readbetter
Oh, Olldroo, I hear you and I get it! I'm getting so confused - yet again - so I will heed you well-put advice since you were the first to post a reply to my original post so long ago. I will leave well enough alone, put back tables and lamps and look for a roundish (I like the shells) mirror. Thank you all and now on to the next room.
7 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 6:31AM
njmomma
Enjoy your room!!!!!
0 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 6:36AM
Lynne Forrestal
I love your room and your taste... I just threw out some ideas for you since the rectangular issue was topic and you asked about mirror and coffee table. I agree , live with what you have and when you happen on the right item to add into the wonderful mix,.... you'll know it! You've got a great eye! :)
1 Like   April 7, 2013 at 6:38AM
Margaret B
Bravo Olldroo! Readbetter, your room is lovely, I agree you need to bring some of the original pieces back. Trust your instincts, they are spot on!
3 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 6:39AM
wolfpackmom
I would keep the pelican in the corner where you had him, put a new mirror over the fireplace - love the oval mirror just posted - and put an oval coffee table in the middle. I would not use end tables (they look jammed in a small space and makes it look smaller) for light you can put a tall standing light in the corner (until you can put in recessed lighting ;) ) I can't use rugs in my house because of dogs either and I agree with most that it would really make a difference (in my house and yours),
0 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 6:39AM
I still love your original picture. I do have one comment now; there are no pelicans that I know of in New York. After you hang the picture, it probably will be the one and only. :>).

How about a heron?

1 Like   April 7, 2013 at 6:45AM
readbetter
Oh no, judyg, I'll go nuts again if I start looking for another bird! But have 2 metal crane statues out in my back garden.
3 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 6:51AM
carolins
Next time we have coffee over at your McMansion I'm going to hug you and Olldroo too. Please, dear Readbetter, trust yourself. And immediately put back the tables, the lamps and McPelican in his cozy corner! Hehe...
I've always liked the end tables and lamps. Such a handy place to put the drinks. And they didn't look cluttered, just nice and warm.

Whatever mirror you choose, I'm pretty sure it will be abfab!
Dear o dear... just read everyone's well-meant advise and ignore or accept what you want. You do have great taste, don't doubt it.

(that's the risk of putting a comment here, the whole McMonster comes to live again)
1 Like   April 7, 2013 at 6:54AM
olldroo
Judyg - stop being so technical, we are having McFun.
2 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 7:16AM
carolins
I'm McChuckling :-)
2 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 7:17AM
readbetter
You are soooo McCorrect on that, carolins. Since the budget is gone, I'll use what I have and be McConfident! It's been fun moving things around AND I did get McPelican which I really, really love. Art and color - new for me. I'm on to the guest room, the little back room behind living room so you'll be hearing from me again. 9x9 room and has to hold a full bed, chair and TV. I'll do it and you can help. The McCoffee is on!
3 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 7:18AM
olldroo
Sorry carolins, I'm only doing coffee if McBird joins us - I want to hug him too.
2 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 7:18AM
readbetter
Ok, you can visit him on the upstairs landing - real close to the dining table.
2 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 7:22AM
imissnylinda
Add a few live plants and maybe an orchid and you are set to go!
0 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 7:31AM
celestial
Readbetter, you are a true artist. Whatever you decide will be wonderful. I have been totally inspired watching you experiment with this space. Thank you.
0 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 7:33AM
carolins
I'm McReady for the new McProject :-)
1 Like   April 7, 2013 at 7:38AM
Margaret B
Look forward to the new McProject! Can we pleseeee have one last picture of McBird in his new home?
2 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 7:44AM
readbetter
Okey Dokey! One last McPic of McBird in new nest and McRoom. Really nice knowing you all!
12 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 8:08AM
Terri Shuh
i love mcbird's new home ., . . thanks for sharing
1 Like   April 7, 2013 at 8:11AM
Margaret B
Absolute perfection in the room now, well balanced and the lamps are perfect. I like McBird's new home. You have done a fabulous job, can't wait to see the next McProject.
1 Like   April 7, 2013 at 8:13AM
Ann
I agree with so many of the recent comments. Please put the tables and lamps back. The new pelican art is perfect in the corner (really great!). So maybe you're looking for a new mirror for the fireplace and the room's done. The current mirror is fine while you take your time finding one you love. (I do also like the second njmomma mirror.)
0 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 8:21AM
olldroo
Aaaaah, now I feel at home again, is the coffee on? McPelican really brings that corner to life and gives your blue cushions a lift too.
1 Like   April 7, 2013 at 8:32AM
readbetter
Coffee is ready, come on over!
2 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 8:33AM
yytcm
OOOOOOH, readbetter, my heart hurts. I didn't see this post until this morning (Sunday, 04/07) so I'm too late, I guess. I absolutely loved your room to start with and now I really, really don't like it at all - totally dark and dreary with all that black, and I find the pelican art somewhat threatening. Didn't get to read through all the posts but remember what Chaski said about staying true to your vision which was so great. Of course, McBird was "too big" for the wall and he was the first thing your eye focused on when you walked in the room, but it's called a "focal point" and he was magnificent and said much about you. I, too, would have loved to sit in that room for a cup of coffee and talk about him and how you found and all about you. Now it's just another room. My original comment would have been to positively keep McBird, ditch the mirror (too high, too dark and too distracting) and replace with one of the seascapes (with a "not black" frame), keep the lamps (so much cozier than recessed lighting) and add a bit of color (picked from the seascape) for accent. Down the road you might (or might not) want to change the lamp shades for a bit of color, you might (or might not) want to change the blinds, you might (or might not) want to add a rug, but the room would have been so UNIQUELY YOU and so inviting. Now, as Chaski says, it sadly looks like a display vignette in a furniture showroom. Very sad.
3 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 9:03AM
Gerald MoragneEl
What a lovely little room that mixes old with the new. I think I would put the duck where the mirro is and put the mirro over the fire place but turn it rectangularly. An area rug is in place something country or asian inspired according to your taste but it is very cosy. I've looked at some of the responses and see that you have already implemented some of the changes I suggest. This is a lovely room and is probably why you have recieved so many hits.
0 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 9:12AM
wandacunningham
Readbetter, 9 x 9 is so small, but small doesn't = bad. Definitely would put Pelican on a reducing diet (via someone who works a saw), and I'd keep him where he is. Instead of framed mirror, you may want to consider a large, frameless mirror....mirrors definitely do add dimension to small areas. I love the suggestions about a corner sectional, which adds so much more visual and physical space. Also, the suggestion about moving the large shell to the base of the fireplace is spot on. Enjoy!
0 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 9:20AM
wandacunningham
If you go with a sectional sofa, then a rug is a must. If not, it just adds more to the clutter feeling.
0 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 9:21AM
wandacunningham
Gerald Morgan E! : Someone PhotoShopped the changes for the owner.
0 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 9:22AM
readbetter
This is a corner sectional. And, the lighting is off - it is a very bright room.
2 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 9:29AM
aniluap2
I love all your changes but I, too, am a minimalist and the one thing that bothered me about the room was that everything seemed shoved into a corner . I do think removing the corner side table visually frees the space and does not make it look so tight. In a small space I personally would prefer conned lights rather than the table lamps , because it gives it. More open clean aesthetic . You can add sme color with a couple more pillows and maybe a blue urn/ vase on the mantel or coffee table.
0 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 9:48AM
kimdee24
Omg. I think readbetter has settled on her room and is happy with the results! It looks fantastic!
2 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 9:56AM
wandacunningham
Readbetter, I didn't even notice you had a corner sectional. I think that says something for how cluttered the room looks. There are glass tables with "silver" hardware that is less noticeable than the dark wood. The brightness of the room is great, and mirrors add depth to the room because they reflect the "open" part of the room. I used a large mirror in our dining area, and the room now looks huge. (c :
1 Like   April 7, 2013 at 10:09AM
readbetter
Thanks.
1 Like   April 7, 2013 at 10:18AM
readbetter
For those of you who have not seen the room without the side tables and lamps, here's a pic. Wire fence is to keep dogs out when I'm at work.
3 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 10:26AM
Margaret B
Readbetter, perhaps you should change your username to Readmore or simply "READ" to inspire people...
3 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 10:28AM
patriciarhall
lovely
1 Like   April 7, 2013 at 10:35AM
readbetter
MargaretB, I am a reading specialist in a school so I hope I inspire kids every day. thanks for the idea.
3 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 10:39AM
wstdspace
Fantastic!
0 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 10:45AM
Margaret B
Readbetter, I was being snarky trying to inspire adults to read your entire post before offering suggestions. Your username is perfect as is.
3 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 10:51AM
wandacunningham
So your idea of recessed lighting would work in this less-cluttered look. By Jove, I think you've got it!
0 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 10:54AM
readbetter
Did you see the story about the Little Free Library boxes on Houzz? I just bought one for my front yard - for kids and adults. Find the story and I think you'll enjoy it.
3 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 10:55AM
judith1922
this is a small room. I would lose all non-essentials. the lamps, mirror, end tables, coffee table. etc. think of the people in this small space. their colour, the clothes colour, the colour of the flowers they bring...all books, instruments, art works etc... can stand on the floor.

in the center of the ceiling, more or less above the existing coffee table, I would install one electrical box from which you can hang 1 chandelier-like light fixture with flexible long arms. this could be controlled by a dimmer switch on the wall at the entrance to the room.

and the art...the bird, well that's not a design element. it's art. put it and more wherever you like.... -)
0 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 10:58AM
aniluap2
Loved that free library post. What a great way to recycle. We lived in Wellesley, MA for a short time and they had a great recycling center for the town which included a library section where people could bring their uneeeded books and others who were interested in them were free to take them . By the way I vote for the side table and lamp removed..it adds more visual space.
1 Like   April 7, 2013 at 5:41PM
Terri Shuh
readebetter - could you tell me where you got your sectional?
0 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 5:52PM
readbetter
Terri shush, I got the sectional at pottery barn
1 Like   April 8, 2013 at 5:06PM
readbetter
Sorry Terri, I spelled your name wrong. Hard to type on iPad.
0 Likes   April 8, 2013 at 5:08PM
pearlmelba
can you draw ? if so draw a picture of your little mcdogs try that in the room fab room fab sense of humor also
0 Likes   April 10, 2013 at 11:22AM
readbetter
Pearimelba, all kidding aside its funny you mentioned the dogs. I had a photo of them made into a canvas Andy Warhol type thing and have the colorful piece in my kitchen. Ill be asking for help in a few days for my guest room so I hope you join us!
1 Like   April 10, 2013 at 2:42PM
pearlmelba
I will look out for that post What breed of dogs do you have I have two mini schnauzers
0 Likes   April 11, 2013 at 2:07PM
readbetter
pearlmelba, I have two Westies. I won't get the picture hung for a month or so when my McCarpenter comes to do some other work. I won't forget. Look for a post of Tiny, Tiny Cottage. I'll also be posting a "help" picture for my guest room next week after my bed arrives.
0 Likes   April 11, 2013 at 2:24PM
Cheery Curtains
Hope these curtain designs will give you some inspirations.
0 Likes   April 11, 2013 at 7:52PM
pearlmelba
White westies to match your room Maybe you should have had a Scotty dog with all that Mc going on
0 Likes   April 12, 2013 at 2:32PM
olldroo
Look - a McMate!!!!

]
3 Likes   April 12, 2013 at 5:11PM
readbetter
How McFunny is that? I think we have started a new decorating trend. Get ready for the McGuest room. Bed coming tomorrow!
5 Likes   April 12, 2013 at 5:27PM
Brooke Strong
McBird is in the RIGHT spot now. Love the new painting! I was going to say the walls could use a touch of color (blueish) but now with the painting I'm not so sure. I think the mirror over the fireplace should be replaced unfortunately, but with what, I'm not so sure. Maybe paint the frame white in keeping or a light blue? I think it feels very dark & sudden in it's current frame. It's adorable...you must not have pets or kids...i only DREAM about a place that white and immaculate!
1 Like   April 12, 2013 at 5:42PM
olldroo
Brooke, never be afraid to use white, it doesn't get any dirtier than any other colour, just shows it is dirty so you can clean dirt as it happens and before it sets making cleaning easier. In fact dark colours show just as much white stains and marks. A white lounge with slipcovers is really easy with kids as it can be bleached, unlike coloureds. BTW readbetter does have 2 dogs and a cat.
2 Likes   April 12, 2013 at 5:50PM
carolins
....and two pelicans!
2 Likes   April 13, 2013 at 12:23AM
Cozy Casita
Absolutely loved it the way it was ! Totally unique. The very most I would have done would have been to lower the mirror a little and add a pastel throw (so that I could curl up and contemplate the relationship between McBird and the seashell.) That first impression spoiled me for all that followed. :-)
5 Likes   April 13, 2013 at 2:20AM
aletabadowski
I love the pelican picture and the mirror is a classic over the mantle. I still think a tall floor lamp in the corner would compliment the room. it would give another dimension in the low square room. A sisal or jute rug would make it cozy and then a long wooden thin coffee table instead of the glass square one. Maybe an narrow oval shape or a table made out of a peice of driftwood? I miss Mcbird but he does look like he fits into his new home better.
0 Likes   April 13, 2013 at 5:47AM
aniluap2
I like the dark wood of the mirror in contrast to the white surroundings. It is very reminiscent of the British colonial style you see so often in the Caribbean where dark mahogany pieces are used with white upholstered furnishings. Great balance!
0 Likes   April 13, 2013 at 6:17AM
readbetter
Brooke, you can't see the hole in sofa arm made by one of my critters and my children are grown now but I have lots of little guests. I just will keep cleaning and patching because I love the white.
1 Like   April 13, 2013 at 5:37PM
readbetter
You all did a good job McHelping me with this room that I hope you find my guest room in design dilemma under tiny tiny cottage guest room. I need lots of help.
1 Like   April 13, 2013 at 5:41PM
onthefence
readbetter, I've loved your thread! If you're still looking in, I just saw a buddy for McBird! http://www.houzz.com/discussions/446858/Something-you-ve-never-seen-before---
0 Likes   April 20, 2013 at 2:16PM
catladymom
Dear read better, could you share a pic of the adjoining room (the room before the living room). I just had walls knocked down and rooms are exactly same as yours, just a few sq feet of difference. McThank you!
0 Likes   April 20, 2013 at 2:52PM
kphone
Lovely!!!! I would love to see more photos of other rooms.
0 Likes   April 20, 2013 at 4:44PM
readbetter
catladymom, here is an old picture of the entire space. It is before I purchased the painting and moved the mirror but I think it can show you what you need. The whole front is the living/dining room and the staircase in back of the dining room. If you need more, let me know and I'll take another pic later. Small spaces are so tricky but fun. I'd like to see what you are doing in yours.
0 Likes   April 21, 2013 at 3:22AM
readbetter
kphone, here is my guestroom - behind the living room. It was the discussion for Houzzers last week and I'm back to where I started with the little desk and chair. They suggested centering the bed and I took tables from the living room and lamps and it did look good. Bottom line - budget! I bought a few pillows and put the desk and chair back because I may still want a headboard and I still need a console at the foot of the bed for the TV. I'd appreciate your suggestions since you are new to the feed. Thanks for the compliment. The bathroom, basement and upstairs are still works in progress. A kitchen pic is above in this feed.
2 Likes   April 21, 2013 at 3:33AM
Nancy Serafini Interior Design
Great job - if I could change one thing it would be to remove the mantle as it seems too fussy for the clean lines - I would replace it with a thick white wooden bulluxion molding -
0 Likes   April 21, 2013 at 4:56AM
Lynne Forrestal
readbetter, I didn't see anything on your guest roo discussion last week, was it a different discussion separate from this one? If so I will check it out, can you post the link here. ? Question on guest room, size of room, and what is on wall that we can't see in the above photo? and do you want to "save" that window above the bed? or could it be covered with headboard or something?
0 Likes   April 21, 2013 at 5:17AM
readbetter
Lynne Forrestal, try to look under discussions entitled, Tiny, Tiny Cottage needs help with guest room. I've just ordered a dark blue patchwork quilt and shams for that room and the white nautical bedding is going upstairs to my bedroom. I did that because the guest room faces west and it is very, very bright in there and I thought the darker color would be better. I'm thinking of a seagrass headboard.
2 Likes   April 21, 2013 at 5:26AM
catladymom
thank you , I'll send pic's soon. Under construction now so they'll be before pic's.
0 Likes   April 21, 2013 at 6:06AM
Lynne Forrestal
I searched and still don't find, can you post the link to the page here?
0 Likes   April 21, 2013 at 7:22AM
catladymom
Dear Read better, I'm not sure how to post my pic's, but I would be happy to give you my e-mail and you can see them that way.
0 Likes   April 21, 2013 at 11:34AM
readbetter
I would love to see them. Thanks. It took me a long time to figure out this camera upload thing.
1 Like   April 21, 2013 at 11:50AM
catladymom
Here are some pics of the living/dining room, under construction of course.
0 Likes   April 21, 2013 at 12:15PM
readbetter
catladymom, Looks just like my house. Wow, I can't wait to see what you do with it. By the looks of the floor in my entryway, we think there was once a little bedroom where my living room now is. Similar to what you are doing, I think they opened it up. Ask the Houzzers. They have great ideas. Love your swatches.
0 Likes   April 21, 2013 at 12:23PM
catladymom
this is the dining room side
0 Likes   April 21, 2013 at 12:26PM
readbetter
Looks bigger than my house a bit and I just can't wait to see what you do. Isn't this fun - and expensive!!!!
0 Likes   April 21, 2013 at 12:31PM
catladymom
in the first two pictures , it used to be a bedroom. sorry for the fabric pics, I'm new to figuring out how to send pics. The trim will be painted white to match the dining space. you can see where the wall was taken down. to the right are stairs to my bedroom, and the opening next to it is to our kitchen, which wall was knocked down also.
0 Likes   April 21, 2013 at 12:37PM
catladymom
sorry, computer illiterate. Yes it's fun , I'm already over my budget. I keep finding things for my contractor to do! LOL
0 Likes   April 21, 2013 at 12:40PM
catladymom
The 1st pic, where the trim needs to be painted will be my living space, also w/ a sectional measures 10x12 and the last pic dining space measures 12x13. I ordered hardwood flooring for 300 sq ft, which is the overall space.
0 Likes   April 21, 2013 at 12:45PM
readbetter
It looks great and is going to be a beautiful home. Keep the pictures coming as you progress!
0 Likes   April 21, 2013 at 12:49PM
catladymom
I love your kitchen by the way. I purchased a craftsman style 3 light door which i replaced in the 1st pic. won't send yet due to trying to figure how to work this computer!! I have a small brick cape. I also live in New England.
0 Likes   April 21, 2013 at 12:49PM
catladymom
thank you
0 Likes   April 21, 2013 at 12:50PM
readbetter
Do you have pitched ceilings upstairs or a bump out roof? I have deep pitch which is difficult. Are you doing any work up there? If so I'd love to see it. I had a closet built and use half the room as my bedroom and other side for a desk and small office area.
0 Likes   April 21, 2013 at 9:53PM
catladymom
Hello, I do have pitched roofs. No dormers. From the floor it's about a foot, then pitched all the way up to ceiling. It is the attic. One side is my bedroom, other side going to be dressing area/office. Very tight spaces. It's a mess now due to work being done downstairs, so everything is being stored up there. Will send pic's when done. could be awhile. I would love some inspiration if you would share a pic. P.S. I do have a closet on bedroom side.
0 Likes   April 23, 2013 at 5:55AM
catladymom
I like your fireplace. Did you purchase it at home Depot? They had one just like it there. Was thinking on putting one in the same place where yours is (since our rooms are almost the same) with the TV above it to save space.
0 Likes   April 23, 2013 at 6:09AM
schurer
Don't touch that bird!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! bird is great. It is all great.
2 Likes   April 23, 2013 at 6:19AM
olldroo
catladymom - if you type "attics" into the search for either photos of ideabooks you will find a lot of ideas - here's one for example

Downloading photos here is very easy if you are using Microsoft, once you have downloaded your photos into My Pictures. Just click on the "attach images" below then click on "browse" this will take you to your desktop and you click on "pictures" there to bring up all your saved photos. Click on the photo you want, then click on open and you are done. You have to do this for each photo starting at the "browse" and can only attach 4 photos to any one comment.
3 Likes   April 23, 2013 at 8:11AM
Brenda
it's stunning. I own the same exact lamps, by the way.
0 Likes   April 23, 2013 at 8:18AM
catladymom
Thank you olldroo, great ideas for attics, now on to learning how to do photo's :)
1 Like   April 23, 2013 at 10:12AM
pattiegoode
catladymom, do you have a thread for your house? It looks like you are going full speed! Congrats to you both for saving older homes! I have a special place in my heart for them that is hard to explain to those who don't share the feeling!
0 Likes   April 23, 2013 at 10:53AM
catladymom
Hello pattiegoode, I haven't made an album yet, also due to my lack of computer skills lol, but I will when the house is done with before and after pic's. Thank you for your interest. The living/dining room is just like readbetter's, which I must say did a wonderful job! My house was built in 1949 a small brick cape. I do love older homes w/character and architectural features. They have charm. :)
1 Like   April 23, 2013 at 2:28PM
readbetter
catladymom, yes the fireplace is from Home Depot. And, yes, I had a closet built in between the office/sitting area and the bedroom. I'm going to have the bedroom area closed off with a barn door so I can at least close the bedroom door now and then. My computer skills are a work in progress too and somewhere on this site I have posted a pic of the bedroom so far. When the door is installed - probably around June - I'll send pics. I used the pics on Houzz to help with ideas for the attic. My house was build in 1954. Be ready for unexpected things when renovating - my builder found lots of places with serious dry rot and had to rebuild whole walls. If you are thinking of putting in new windows, my advice if you can afford it is to completely replace them. I had put in replacement cheap windows when I first moved in 5 1/2 years ago because they were falling apart. It was when we took them out in the kitchen and upstairs bedroom that we found all the dry rot which was not visible from a replacement window. I'm finishing all the windows downstairs now a few at a time - just in case. I feel like my house is secure now.

Pattiegoode, I tried to keep little things here and there to honor the age of the home - some outside plants, a beam here or there - and lots of the original style. I saved some old rusty keys I found. So much was not salvageable though. I even put some colored rocks the previous owner had on the back porch into my new garden and transplanted many plants to other places. I think it's important to merge the old with the new.
0 Likes   April 23, 2013 at 4:10PM
catladymom
The only new windows are in my bedroom. I have the old ones w/the roping. Eventually they will be replace. I'm already over my budget. Hopefully the living/dining rooms will be completed the end of this week. I'm already overwhelmed about having to clean all the dust and mess from this construction!!! I'm happy you have new windows and feel more secure in your home, that's how it should be!
0 Likes   April 23, 2013 at 5:18PM
jclbenz
Lamps? Where do I get a pair?
0 Likes   April 23, 2013 at 6:25PM
Ann
@catladymom - I'd love to participate in a discussion of your house if you decide to post one, but I think it would be most effective if this discussion circled back to readbetter's original discussion.
0 Likes   April 23, 2013 at 6:28PM
readbetter
Jclbenz, lamps from Pottery Barn. Tops come off if you want to fill with decorative items.
0 Likes   April 24, 2013 at 3:45AM
readbetter
Ann, I'm trying to figure out how to get Houzzers to my newest pics. I've made some changes that I'd like to show you. perhaps I should start a totally new thread. The new pics I posted have gotten lost somewhere. Have to do it after work.
1 Like   April 24, 2013 at 3:48AM
Myriam Kennedy
The room has a great start. The bird is a great feature and since you like it, keep it! I am in line with a few to say lose the mirror and I would love to see curtains! You could stick to a light blue or gray to keep in mind the accent pillow color going on. It would also trick the eye framing them much wider than your actually window width. Go all the way to the wall on the left side and keep about 3 ft on the right wall to save when you find a group of small art (3 to 5)to keep with your monochromatic look. Do the same for both windows. It will add softness to the whole room. Keep your nightstand and lamps. A rug will add even more warmth if the budget allows but I would do window dressing first.
0 Likes   April 24, 2013 at 4:21AM
chriscamma
I like the color palette. Perfect for small room. The bird is certainly unexpected. I think I really like it. For a change, You could put a mirror- maybe with a shell or white mother of pearl frame above the fireplace to reflect the light coming from the window on the opposite wall. I'd replace the mirror you have currently with an interesting art piece with color. I like the idea of ceiling lighting, but I'd get glass end tables similar to your coffee table. That would free up some visual space. Even some interesting coasters (I found some made from beautiful acacia wood) may look nice and simple on the tables. You've done a great job with the space!
0 Likes   May 25, 2013 at 4:00AM
chriscamma
Oops, so sorry, I commented before I read all the way through the comments. I like McPelican in the corner and the mirror above the fireplace. Should have read all the way through before commenting on LR.
0 Likes   May 25, 2013 at 4:15AM
Go Nautical Collections
There is a lot of character to that pelican, just lovely.....
0 Likes   May 25, 2013 at 4:49AM
Triangle Brick Company
I would like to suggest removing the mirror and replacing the pelican (cool but just too big) with another form of art. A vertical succulent garden above the fireplace would be fantastic!! If that idea is too extreme, please consider adding a potted succulent on one of the end tables. They are very tidy plants that will fit in nicely with your minimalist feel and the greenery will do wonders for the room! I would place a round or oval rug under the furniture. The subtle curves of the rug will soften the space in an unexpected manner. Great job!
0 Likes   June 4, 2013 at 7:07AM
carolins
chuckling... :-)
2 Likes   June 5, 2013 at 7:20AM
simplify52
Also chuckling here! I know there will be no McCutting McBird! He's too McPerfect in EVERY McWay. But we had a faux fireplace once that we cut the baseboard for it to fit better. It made it really nice. My best to McBird!!!
1 Like   June 5, 2013 at 2:37PM
olldroo
McBird is safe, he has flown to higher grounds watching the comings and goings in the house.

This conversation has really started a McLove affair - I have found a gorgeous statue of a McPelican and trying to decide where he will fit in my McLounge room. He comes with a big McBrother who is nearly 4 ft high but I'm not going to be ostentatious. We don't enjoy refund policies here, buy something and you are stuck with it forever. So annoying.
2 Likes   June 5, 2013 at 4:52PM
olldroo
So thanks to readbetter, I am now the proud owner of a McPelican too
4 Likes   June 9, 2013 at 5:39PM
readbetter
Olidroo, I just saw your post. So glad you took the McPlinge and have joined us birders! Love it,
1 Like   August 25, 2013 at 2:01PM
readbetter
Oops, I mean McPlunge
1 Like   August 25, 2013 at 2:02PM
readbetter
Hi Houzzers. Remember me? I wanted to show you the latest on my - should I say our - McRoom! Some new tables have been added. Just waiting for the arrival of a new mirror. New windows coming this winter. Ill send a final pic. BTW, McBird is guarding it all from his stairway perch and says McHi to you!
9 Likes   August 26, 2013 at 4:58AM
carolins
McHi to you and McBird and the McDogs too :-) That pelican painting is even more stunning than I remembered it. Beautiful! I did see that you have a new post up about your TV room? Didn't have time to look into it any further though. Will visit you later and see if I have something useful to add ;-)
And you have new pillows too?
The room looks lovely.
2 Likes   August 26, 2013 at 5:39AM
mefor
This was one of my favorite discussions from my lurking days. I love your rooms. Great job, lovely serene settings. :)
1 Like   Thanked by readbetter    August 26, 2013 at 5:44AM
readbetter
Thanks. Carolins, I didn't add pillows to the living room, but maybe I reconfigured them. The TV room was once the "guest room" but the bed made it way too crowded and then I had nowhere to sit and watch TV. So it's a TV room again and the smallness of it makes it tough. Take a look later and see what you think. McCofee pot is waiting.
2 Likes   August 26, 2013 at 5:54AM
carolins
McLOL
3 Likes   August 26, 2013 at 6:02AM
mekirsh
Love your room and it inspired me to look for L-shaped sofas for my tiny living room. I agree a pop of color in a rug or some pillows would be great. I also think the mirror doesn't fit the space well. Perhaps it would work somewhere else to make the space look larger? Something on the wall to tie in with whatever you do for rugs or pillows.
0 Likes   August 26, 2013 at 6:10AM
mekirsh
Can I ask you about your sofa? What kind, Is it hard to keep clean?? I love white sofas, that's all I see in decorating mags and would like to have one, but have a dog who is on the furniture and grandchildren too.
1 Like   August 26, 2013 at 6:33AM
mefor
Ikea has great, inexpensive sofas, many of them slipcovered. They also sell extra slipcovers very reasonably. Take a look at their site :)
0 Likes   August 26, 2013 at 6:41AM
readbetter
mekirsh, the sectional is from Pottery Barn and the white is hard to keep clean. I have 2 dogs, a cat and grandchildren. But I've put up the folding fence when I'm not home and monitor use of sticky fingers when company comes. I have a small TV room (another Houzz work-in-progress) where we "live." I opt for no rugs because one of my dogs has tummy troubles and I've thrown more rugs away that I can mention. I'm not too good with colors so I'm hoping the blue pillows and the pelican will give me a little pop. I'm trying to keep the blue and white throughout the house. I'll send more pics later. mforr, thanks for the Ikea tip - I'm going to search now and I love that you can get extra slipcovers. That will save me in my everyday used TV room. Off I go to shop.
3 Likes   August 26, 2013 at 6:45AM
olldroo
Hi Readbetter, been having a little beach holiday from my renovations and just catching up. Glad you like the McAussie Pelican. His big brother, who is about 3'6" high is still in the shop, was only looking at him today and thinking how lonely he looks, but I think the pair is a bit overkill.

Love your new tables, was just in another discussion on the difference a few black accents can make, I had never really noticed it before and your tables are a classic example.

Hope you had a great shop.
1 Like   August 31, 2013 at 2:37AM
readbetter
Olidroo, I took the tiny square glass table and put it on the end of sofa and purchased the matching Tanner round coffee table and nesting table for other side of sofa from pottery barn. The coffee table is pretty big but necessary for company. We just pull dining room chairs over and it's cozy and works. I'm having a white shell mirror made for fireplace so ill take pics when all done. I also put back TV room rug in LR. Dining room has darling furniture so the black from tables ties it together I think. It was so nice hearing from you and BTW, all the McDogs and McBirds are great!
2 Likes   August 31, 2013 at 2:49PM
readbetter
This iPad makes awful assumptions when I type. I meant that dining furniture is dark
1 Like   September 2, 2013 at 2:48PM
carolins
But I'm sure your dining room hás darling furniture ;-)
3 Likes   Thanked by readbetter    September 3, 2013 at 12:05AM
readbetter
Here is the living room - all finished - except for the new windows. Notice I moved the rug from the back room and that is another story. Thanks for all your help. I'm done! I hope you all like it as much as I do. It feels good!
8 Likes   September 5, 2013 at 11:37AM
Margaret B
McSpectacular!
3 Likes   September 5, 2013 at 11:40AM
carolins
McCozy
2 Likes   September 5, 2013 at 11:42AM
readbetter
McThanks!
1 Like   September 5, 2013 at 12:06PM
edithsmom
What a terrific room...love each piece( that stands out on its own and yet gives the cohesive look). The rug is perfect there too.
2 Likes   September 5, 2013 at 12:14PM
Ann
It's great!
1 Like   September 5, 2013 at 12:34PM
olldroo
McWonderful!!! The mirror is Mcfabulous, just love those candlesticks so perfect with your lamp, the rug makes a McHuge difference, just hope it isn't too much trouble with the McHounds.

Please do not change a thing.
1 Like   September 5, 2013 at 9:53PM
catieb
Dear Readbetter, I have to ask, why did you add a rug to the room?

Than you for sharing your darling McMansion!
I love, love, love where the first pelican ended up.
1 Like   September 5, 2013 at 11:10PM
carolins
The McRound table makes a huge difference too, just as the rug does. Well done. It's perfect and looks like a wonderful cozy room. Very welcoming.
1 Like   September 6, 2013 at 1:12AM
readbetter
Tersjustbeachy at Etsy is the wonderful artist who custom made the mirror for me. I had the candles and holders in the basement, thought the McRound table made more sense for large crowds who can pull up chairs from the dining room only a few feet away. The rug ..... well, I bought it for the ongoing drama in the little TV room (another thread) and when I purchased two paintings, it started looking very busy in that tiny room. Since this room is open to the dining room it seemed less "blue" and you know how I feel about color. I fence the LR off when I'm out so McHounds stay off it and they are usually on top of me wherever I am sitting anyway. Tell the truth, I'm not sure if that rug is going to stay because it really is a lot of blue. We'll see how it looks after a few days. I might just replace it with another "sand" colored wool and jute rug that is now in the TV room. it was less color and, for me, well you know - color makes me nervous. McPelican and McPillows seem like a lot of color for me. Promise I won't make any more major changes to that room and MCTHANKS. We've really had a fun time doing this room. I'm on to the next one.

Are you guys in a different time zone? Or, are you early birds like me?
1 Like   September 6, 2013 at 3:31AM
wyndyacre
Dropped back in on this thread just in time to see the finished room. It looks fabulous! Love the shell mirror on the fireplace! The rug, cushions and pelican art blues are all perfect together. The whole room looks comfortable, attractive and really "pulled together"!
1 Like   September 6, 2013 at 3:51AM
readbetter
I've added a poll for either the blue or sand colored rugs. I know most designers love color - but I have trouble with it. I'm having a real problem dealing with all that blue. Last decision. I really love, love, love this room whether blue or sand rug. Thanks for all your interest and help.
1 Like   September 6, 2013 at 4:15AM
olldroo
Well I'm on a totally different time zone, Friday is nearly over for me. The photos may not give true colours but what I liked about the rug was that it echoes the colours from McPelican exactly, adds a sharpness, yet doesn't dominate. I'd be interested to see the other rug, but I just don't think it will do anything.
1 Like   September 6, 2013 at 4:17AM
mefor
I think the new rug looks great in the living room, keep the sand colored one in the tv room, the new artwork (has it arrived already?) will be enough color, along with new throw pillows. Living room looks wonderful!!!
Hi Roo :)
0 Likes   September 6, 2013 at 4:23AM
Lynne Forrestal
Before and After Photos
2 Likes   September 6, 2013 at 5:36AM
Lynne Forrestal
A wonderful room to start with made only better! I like the blue rug, it ties the color throughout the room, and anchors the furniture., fantastic job!
1 Like   September 6, 2013 at 5:37AM
robinson1823
I love the striped rug! It creates a "dynamic triangle" ( the essence of good composition) between the pelican and hearth. Without the deep tone of the rug they would become two dark, unrelated rectangles
3 Likes   September 6, 2013 at 5:48AM
olldroo
You know that rug makes your room look bigger and it seems to integrate the fireplace more too.
1 Like   September 6, 2013 at 6:09AM
carolins
I'm in Europe :-)
1 Like   September 6, 2013 at 6:11AM
readbetter
Hi Houzzers! Watch for a pic coming I hope next week when my néw LR window is finished. Also, I turned the rug the other way and think it looks so much better - less blue and more under sofa. Makes room look bigger. Can't wait to show you. Be on the lookout.
3 Likes   September 26, 2013 at 4:13PM
Rustica Hardware
Hi readbetter you mentioned that you may want a barn door to close off your bedroom. It's a great idea to save space. I've included a link to our site to get some ideas, hope this helps. http://rusticahardware.com/barn-door-hardware/
0 Likes   September 27, 2013 at 10:19AM
robinson1823
readbetter, you're on Long island, yes? I have a store on main street in Patchogue, ny husband built barn doors on our party room. They are the panels w/ large diamonds in the back ground. You can stop by anytime to see them ( they're huge, LOL)
2 Likes   September 27, 2013 at 3:05PM
robinson1823
BTW it's a cupcake store, I don't want to mention the name b/c I think there are rules against that on this board
2 Likes   Thanked by readbetter    September 27, 2013 at 5:27PM
carolins
@robinson: your store looks lovely :-)
3 Likes   September 28, 2013 at 8:12AM
readbetter
Here is room with new window and notice I turned the rug the other way and really love it now! Thanks, Houzzers.
3 Likes   October 3, 2013 at 12:52PM
mefor
Looks very welcoming readbetter, very bright and clean and welcoming :)
0 Likes   October 3, 2013 at 1:17PM
olldroo
Your room is so inspirational, I find myself drawn back to it again and again. I do hope you can keep the rug, I like it either way, but it really warms the room and brings everything together. I can feel the love in that room, I'm so glad you are happy with it.
1 Like   October 3, 2013 at 7:14PM
readbetter
Thanks oldroo. You were my first helper. I turned the rug so it's not soooo blue and just love it. Can't wait to sit there with fireplace on. Very cozy. Appreciate all your help and everyone else.
0 Likes   October 4, 2013 at 4:50PM
olldroo
I think being first was purely a matter of luck, but the ride has been wonderful and so much fun. I wish you many long happy and contented hours in front of the fireplace, perfect timing with your winter about to start.
2 Likes   October 4, 2013 at 7:54PM
readbetter
Here is the tree in the living room. A bit crowded but worth it for a few weeks. I have been collecting hand-painted ornaments from a shop up in Maine since I bought the house six years ago. All sorts of birds and wildlife. I have family members names and dates on each. Also some picture frames of family ancestors so it is a meaningful tree.

Hi Margo, despite a McDuff tummy problem that was remedied with a powerful cleaner, the rug has survived!

Happy holidays everyone!
5 Likes   December 16, 2013 at 3:36AM
olldroo
Happy Holidays, Readbetter, you have a beautiful space to celebrate.
0 Likes   December 16, 2013 at 4:20AM
Charming home. Love all the white. Mirror is too high & but does not go with look. Get another one rectangle 36" high in reclaimed wood. Bird on FP is nice but to big. Never take things up to moulding should always have a border. of 7-10" I would put bird on wall right next to fireplace hang very low 2 feet or so from floor. Recessed lighting is always good for resell value. But not needed. I like. The glow lamps give off.
0 Likes   December 16, 2013 at 10:44AM
Sorry didn't read to end. See you have done a wonderful job. Love the pelican art, and new rug and mirror. Perfect. Now enjoy.
1 Like   December 16, 2013 at 10:48AM
Clear Lighting and Electrical Design
Tiny House = Big Life! No house payments, low utility costs and easier to clean. Your home is so cozzy!! Keep going in the direction you are going in. Recessed lighting is always a good addition.
0 Likes   December 16, 2013 at 10:50AM
readbetter
Clear lighting, it's funny you mentioned the recessed lighting. In the spring I'm having the last three windows replaced and LR, DR painted and I've talked to my contractor about them already. Thanks.
0 Likes   December 16, 2013 at 11:15AM
Old New House
Wow - Superb. Everything looks absolutely amazing, our only recommendation since the furniture and the wall art is fairly large, you may benefit from having a small scatter rug to claim the floor and make the space feel larger.

Amazing for grey and blue http://oldnewhouse.com/collections/rugs/products/fine-gold-vintage-rug-1121 http://oldnewhouse.com/collections/rugs/products/neutral-color-caucasian-rug-1272

If you wanted to bring in some sand color http://oldnewhouse.com/collections/rugs/products/fine-tabriz-area-rug-1238

Or terra cotta/red http://oldnewhouse.com/collections/rugs/products/antique-kerman-area-rug-1281 http://oldnewhouse.com/collections/rugs/products/finely-knotted-antique-persian-rug-1294
1 Like   December 16, 2013 at 11:59AM
grobby
Beautiful home. I didn't read all the posts. I don't have all week, LOL. Was interested in your post because of the " Big Bird" over the FP. Love it and glad to see the after pictures showing it not over fireplace. It was much too big there and deserves a beautiful spot that it can own. Cozy, yet elegant room.
0 Likes   Thanked by readbetter    December 16, 2013 at 8:53PM
drcarolbrown13
Love your living room - I vote for KEEPING THE PELICAN!!! Maybe just add a few candles. :)
0 Likes   December 16, 2013 at 9:13PM
catieb
Happy McChristmas!
1 Like   December 16, 2013 at 9:15PM
readbetter
McThanks. We had so much McFun with that room and it has turned out great for my lifestyle. If you noticed the latest pictures, I put a small TV on mantle because I turned the little back TV room into a guest room which is also coming out lovely. It is on another post along with the upstairs bedroom. Kitchen got a gut job last summer and my little McWorld is almost done. Happy McChristmas to you all!
2 Likes   December 17, 2013 at 12:34AM
catieb
Yes, I've enjoyed your other reno projects.....while I'm here, is the picket fence wood or vinyl? If vinyl, who is manufacturer? Thanks!
0 Likes   December 17, 2013 at 5:34AM
readbetter
Vinyl and don't know who manufactured it. I hate it though. The pickets pull right up and out of the frame and it is flimsy plastic looking and feeling. Don't let anyone fool you into thinking vinyl is "maintenance free" because I spent an hour every day for weeks this summer scrubbing off mildew with chlorox wipes - one picket at a time. The top post covers have fallen off with snow shoveling and kids playing ball across the street. I need to keep it because of my dogs but one day I will get rid of it. It was the worse use of money I ever had. Wow, that was negative! But true.
0 Likes   December 17, 2013 at 5:55AM
mtnlover
The bird is awesome but too big for the spot. Find another larger wall for it. In a hall or a bath?
0 Likes   December 17, 2013 at 6:02AM
Tiny, Tiny Cottage - almost done!
Here are the latest pics of my living room, kitchen,...
Tiny, tiny cottage - more photos
Newly renovated kitchen to my tiny cottage. I went...
Tiny, tiny cottage TV room
Talk about multi-use room. I had a sliding door put...
Tiny, tiny cottage
Second TV picture, sorry I don't seem to be able to...
Tiny, Tiny Cottage needs help with guest room
Here is a picture of my new bed and the nautical themed...
Need help updating living room
We are working on decorating our living room. Looking...
Need advice for wood beams
I tried to clean my wood beams with orange oil soap....
Need help for my kitchen
Hi I am in the process of having a white gloss kitchen...
A THORN IN MY SIDE!!! Need help with arrangment.
OK, I would love to rearrange my living room. What...