Need help with decorating.
Lisa
We are closing on our new home next week! The area I am struggling with is my open concept kitchen/dining/family area. I purchased a pair of these chair to go by the windows and am stumped on curtains, rug and accent table. I also haven't purchased a dining set yet but am considering these dining chairs. I will not be changing paint colors. Thanks!
Lisa
Forgot to add the chairs
2 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 5:16AM
Lisa
Dining chair consideration
   March 17, 2013 at 5:17AM
I would go with a more country / cottage direction given the space and furniture you have shown.

March 17, 2013 at 5:51AM
Lisa
Thank you. Anybody have ideas for a rug?
   March 17, 2013 at 7:26PM
Cheery Curtains
Hope these curtain designs will give you some inspirations. Cheery Curtains offers a wide range of quality curtains at affordable prices. Mouse over the image for a better view.

For more curtain designs, welcome to our website or just contact me directly at nophie@cheerycurtains.com :)

Nophie
Cheery Curtains
Website: www.cheerycurtains.com
Email: nophie@cheerycurtains.com
   March 17, 2013 at 11:21PM
Lisa
Nophie, your curtains are beautiful and definitely inspiring. Thank you for posting.
   March 18, 2013 at 3:50AM
Cheery Curtains
I am glad that you like the photos. Please feel free to contact me at nophie@cheerycurtains.com if any questions and I will always be glad if I can help.

More designs you may like.

Nophie
Cheery Curtains
Website: www.cheerycurtains.com
Email: nophie@cheerycurtains.com
1 Like   March 18, 2013 at 4:06AM
Lisa
Thank you Edward. I am drawn to the more clean look of blinds but love the softness of draperies also. My real dilemma is a rug choice though. I love pattern and am unsure if I can mix a patterned rug with my pattered chairs and have it all coordinate with the green walls. Any ideas? Or should I stick with a solid rug?
   March 18, 2013 at 5:20AM
Ed
ejones, you're very welcome. For the rug, that's probably a personal choice. I like a very clean and simple design, so I'd prefer a solid rug. :)
   March 18, 2013 at 5:26AM
A Crew of Two
I think you need two rugs. I like the sisal one for under your table and a colorful for the living area. Are you keeping the light fixtures? I can't quite figure where your spaces end and start from the pics. Will you put the dining in the tile area or by the windows? I would add some darker wood tones to warm up the space. I like the idea of a neutral curtain to keep the space open. Chandra Amy Butler Area Rug Deco Cottage Peacock Rug Hand-Woven Basket Natural Jute Rug Rustic Oval Kitchen Table With Fluted Pedestal Kitchen table Branch Curtain Tieback Cotton Canvas Printed Window Panel, Koba
3 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 6:03AM
I don't see your furniture choices as having a cottage look at all. The pair of upholstered chairs seem rather clean lined and modern to me and the dining chair is a classic design.

The house, on the other hand, does have cottage leanings with the pine ceiling and the iron heating stove. With your green walls and charcoal (?) and white chairs, if you are looking for a more modern look, I like the idea of adding orange with the first rug below. The second rug repeats your wall color. You could also use a casual rug with multiple colors such as shown in third photo.

For a table to put between the chairs, I think the twig table below would be ideal. Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID Chalet Herringbone Flatwoven Orange Rug Candice Olson Modern Classics Rug, Chartreuse/White Sky, Blue, Taupe and Gray Indoor/Outdoor Rug Twig Accent Table
   March 18, 2013 at 6:06AM
Lisa
Kelly, the dining area is very near the tile but still on the wood floorz
   March 18, 2013 at 7:11AM
Lisa
I am open to changing out light fixtures as they are not my taste
   March 18, 2013 at 7:16AM
Lisa
Carolyn, I absolutely love the style of my home but am more drawn to a modern look. I don't know if the two styles marry or not but this is what I would like to work with. I like to paint and all of my paintings are abstract with bold colors. I hope I have not set myself up for a decorating disaster with my cottage home and modern taste. I love the choices you have selected by the way.
   March 18, 2013 at 7:20AM
Lisa
Carolyn, yes the chairs have charcoal, tan and white in the pattern. Love that orange rug. Did you think that would look nice with the chairs or dining area?
1 Like   March 18, 2013 at 7:22AM
The rug would work in either location. I can't tell where the two areas will be. Is the dining area in the kitchen or in the hardwood floor area? Where will the chairs go? I think you can do a modern look in your new house, though it might be easier with white walls. It's wonderful that the walls will feature your abstract paintings!
   March 18, 2013 at 8:13AM
I see now where the dining area is, having just read more of the above postings.
   March 18, 2013 at 8:17AM
Let's find you two coordinating rugs. The first one can be the orange herringbone. The second could be the seagrass rug mentioned by someone else. Or it could be one of those shown below. I've included the original herringbone rug so that you can see them together.
Pink & Orange Broad Stripe Wool Rug Jaipur Rugs Maroc Nada Rug, Canterbury/Orange Draper Stripe Rug, Persimmon/Cream Chalet Herringbone Flatwoven Orange Rug
   March 18, 2013 at 8:36AM
I want to see what your dining table is like before suggesting a chandelier.
   March 18, 2013 at 8:38AM
Madeline
@Carolyn. And I guess you read that it was "dytecture" who first suggested going in a more country/cottage direction. Other than that your comments and choices are of your usual top-notch caliber and are laced with your Carolyn brand of optimism.
@ejones2246. Count your blessings that you have attracted CAK's attention this otherwise normal Monday morning.@Kelly also added some beautiful choices for your consideration. Lucky girl so far! Good luck. I will watch this thread and take notes!
madeline
1 Like   March 18, 2013 at 8:41AM
Valvorie Dunn
I'm going to watch also. Can't wait to see what you guys come up with.
1 Like   March 18, 2013 at 8:50AM
Lisa
Carolyn' I still need to purchase a dining table and have been leaning towards a style like the one I've posted. I'm still unsure whether the space will accommodate a table this large and may need to go with a round table. I'm very open to suggestions! I've seen the wishbone dining chairs paired with the farmhouse style table and loved the look though I think it would look nice with a round table as well.
   March 18, 2013 at 8:59AM
Lisa
I love the pinkish rug with the orange pattern and the striped pink/orange rug also.
   March 18, 2013 at 9:02AM
@Madeline and Valvorie: Thank you, thank you so very much for the votes of confidence! I greatly appreciate your kind words.

@ejones: I wish you would consider switching the color of the wishbone chairs to a natural light wood finish. It will give much more flexibility. If you look back at the picture that Dytecture posted, you'll see a white painted ceiling. I wish you would paint your pine ceiling. How do you feel about those suggestions?
   March 18, 2013 at 9:05AM
Lisa
With the direction this thread is going, I've already thought that the wishbone chair color would need to change. I haven't purchased them yet so this is an easy fix. The wood on the ceiling will remain as my husband loves the look and I kind of do too. Thank you for all of your help Carolyn!
   March 18, 2013 at 9:14AM
Good to know that your husband loves the pine and you like it also. If you ever change your minds, it can be painted then.
1 Like   March 18, 2013 at 9:18AM
Lisa
I posted a pic, just have to look back a little
   March 18, 2013 at 9:26AM
I found the picture of the table above and like it tho find it more cottage than modern. Re the rugs you liked, I'm delighted because those two are my favorites also, with my first choice being the rug with orange damasks designs on hot pink background. But either one works well with the herringbone rug.

If you have the dimensions of the hardwood area and a list of what furniture goes in the space, we could help you determine what size dining table you can use, plus what size sofa you might need if you don't have one. If there are other items you want to put in the room (TV, bookcase), please be sure to mention that also.
1 Like   March 18, 2013 at 9:33AM
jkeist
I like the dining chairs. I just bought a set exactly like that. Although I didn't have the great color choice. I got a set of natural wood ones at MHD. Here is the link http://manhattanhomedesign.com/wishbone-dining-chair.html
Where did you find the ones you are looking at?
1 Like   March 18, 2013 at 9:47AM
carolins
Hi, just jumping in because I like your space and your choice of dining room chairs :-) I've read the other comments. Just like to say that friends of mine have recently put a gorgeous, very modern, white Bulthaup kitchen in their 1930's home and have these wishbone chairs around their modern white dining table. An absolutely gorgeous combination.

Looking forward to seeing the progress of your home :-)
2 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 1:19PM
Lisa
Carolyn, I'm attaching a pic of the dimensions of the room. This is the best I've got as I haven't been able to measure. I've roughly drawn in where the two upholstered chairs, accent table, and rug would go as we'll as the dining table and possibly another rug if all fits in this space. I will not be adding a couch as I have an additional living and family room in this house. Also attaching some of my art so you can see what will be on the walls.
2 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 1:34PM
Lisa
Jkeist thanks for the link. I found my chairs at overstock but also found them on amazon.
1 Like   March 18, 2013 at 1:36PM
Lisa
Carolins, I was considering a white table but my husband hates the look. I rather liked it though. Thanks for the suggestion.
   March 18, 2013 at 1:38PM
Lisa
Carolyn, what type of table would you suggest?
   March 18, 2013 at 1:39PM
carolins
Here are a couple of examples of them around different tables:
loft project Berlin
Dining Room
Spring Lake-Dining Room
Sag Harbor, NY Residence
Park Slope brownstone

(just search wishbone chairs under 'photo' here on houzz for all these and more)

They are very comfortable too.
1 Like   March 18, 2013 at 2:05PM
Lisa
Thank you! These are gorgeous and I can't wait to get mine.
   March 18, 2013 at 2:09PM
Valvorie Dunn
Absolutely love your art!
3 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 2:46PM
What fabulous art you have for your walls! I will get to work on what size table would fit your space. How many people do you want to seat at the table, ejones?
   March 18, 2013 at 2:53PM
Lisa
4 to 6 people for table seating. Thanks for the compliments on my art.
1 Like   March 18, 2013 at 2:57PM
In looking at your floor plan, I see only one window on the wall where you want to place your pair of chairs, but in the photo of that wall, I see two windows and a large door to the exterior. I need to know the size of the area with hardwood flooring to help you determine what size table you'll have space for.

The plan says the kitchen is 11 x 15, but it doesn't say how big the dining area is. Adding up the dimensions of the two bedrooms, it appears that the overall length of the kitchen/dining space is 24'.
But if the kitchen is really 15', that leaves you only 9' for the dining space plus your two chairs. The photo shows what looks to me like considerably more space than that. Did the previous owners add on to the room after that plan was drawn?
   March 18, 2013 at 3:38PM
Lisa
I've attached another copy of the floor plan. The dimensions of the four rooms from what I see are 26x32. I would roughly estimate that space as 16x16 and that is on the low estimate. There are 2 windows and not sure why it shows 1.
   March 18, 2013 at 3:50PM
I think I've come pretty close on the drawing attached, which shows your kitchen and dining area. I've drawn a 42" round table which will seat 6, and I show 2 extra chairs by the staircase. You could also use a 36 x 60" rectangular table which would seat 6. I prefer round tables where you can see everyone. If the pair of chairs were elsewhere, you could use a larger table, such as a 47" round Saarinen table, or a 42 x 72" rectangular table.

It's tight in the room with your pair of chairs in there. Would they work elsewhere? I'd certainly be tempted to use the space for dining and use the living room and family rooms for cushy seating.

The rug I drew is an 8 x 10' rug.
   March 18, 2013 at 6:53PM
Lisa
Thank you Carolyn, it does look tight doesn't it? I so liked the idea of having a pair of comfy chairs in here as we spend so much time in the kitchen area. I certainly can use the chairs in another room but really hope it all fits. The space seems so large without furniture so I will keep my fingers crossed! Will post pics as things move along.
2 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 7:06PM
Lisa
I like that table but my hubby not so much.
   March 18, 2013 at 7:09PM
It's going to be stunning with your beautiful art on the walls. How long have you been painting! I'm envious of your talent.
   March 18, 2013 at 7:33PM
Lisa
For about 7 years. My new home will definitely get me to paint some new pieces
   March 18, 2013 at 7:43PM
A Crew of Two
Are your floors wood laminate? would it be feasible to just take the laminate all the way into the kitchen? This would free up some space for furniture placement. Just a thought. The two floors define the rooms and limit where you can put things.
   March 19, 2013 at 6:28AM
Lisa
We are going to remove both the laminate and tile and put down wood look tile through the whole space. This will have to wait until next year though. I hate that they used two different materials for this space but have to live with it for a bit.
   March 19, 2013 at 11:42AM
Well, ejones, that will make a wonderful difference in your room layout, allowing you to nudge the dining table and chairs a few more inches toward the kitchen, perhaps allowing you more space for you pair of chairs. Once you get into the house next week, it would be interesting to know what the actual measurement is of the currently laminate covered area.
1 Like   March 19, 2013 at 5:23PM
Lisa
Well we moved in yesterday and here's what I have so far. There is definitely not enough space to put the table and chairs in the center of the room so I will push the set against a wall until it is needed. Very happy so far, just need curtains, rug, accent table and I'm still undecided on the lamp.
2 Likes   March 29, 2013 at 8:07PM
Lisa
This is the wall my table will be pushed against. This however is my desk as I have to purchase a set still
   March 29, 2013 at 8:11PM
Lisa
Possible art
   March 29, 2013 at 8:12PM
Lisa
Or maybe these
1 Like   March 29, 2013 at 8:12PM
carolins
I vote for the painting that your assistant is holding over the desk to go on the wall near the chairs. Don't hang your art too high though. The one above the desk could be a tad lower. Love the colours of your paintings and I like the unexpected colour of the lamp there.
The chairs look so nice there.
Congrats on moving into your new home.
2 Likes   March 30, 2013 at 5:08AM
Lisa
Thank you and I will definitely hang the art lower.
1 Like   March 30, 2013 at 5:47AM
Can the one over the table/desk be hung vertically? In all cases, I would hang the art lower, and it seems that you have noted this also. I particularly like the pair of pieces that have green in them. Those chairs look like a wonderful haven for reading or chatting.
   March 30, 2013 at 6:08AM
Lisa
Actually I normally hang that piece vertically but it felt like it didn't take up enough space on the wall. I'll take another pic hung that way when I get home.
   March 30, 2013 at 9:30AM
Lisa
Carolyn, are you still thinking the orange herringbone rug under these chairs? I'd like to order it today.
   March 30, 2013 at 9:32AM
carolins
You could hang the two paintings above the desk? Takes up more space than the other one and the colours tie in nicely too.
Made you a collage of the orange herringbone rug and the painting with the chairs:
2 Likes   March 30, 2013 at 10:19AM
Lisa
That looks awesome. Orange is my favorite color and that rug looks awesome. Gonna order it today. Thanks for doing that
1 Like   March 30, 2013 at 10:59AM
My friend carolins has done a great job of showing you just how wonderful that rug will work with your two chairs.
But are you getting it big enough to just go under the chairs? Or will the table and chairs also be on it?
   March 30, 2013 at 3:29PM
Lisa
I've decided to put the dining set against the staircase wall so the rug will just go under the chairs. What size rug do you think I should order. Also, can you tell me what website to purchase the orange herringbone rug?
   March 30, 2013 at 7:57PM
That answer was made easy for me by the fact that the only size that Rugs USA is showing is a 5 x 8.
   March 31, 2013 at 1:34PM
Lisa
Strange, I just went to their site and they had both the 5x8 and 8x10
   March 31, 2013 at 5:55PM
Not when I viewed it. But what size would you need to incorporate the dining table and chairs along with just the front legs of the pair of chairs by the wall?
   March 31, 2013 at 7:06PM
Lisa
I'm putting the dining table against the stair wall. Now that we are moved in there is just not enough room to put it in the middle. Will pull the table out for use as we need it. So, the rug will just go under the two chairs. I'm thinking the 5x8 will suffice. What do you think?
   March 31, 2013 at 7:58PM
I agree.
1 Like   March 31, 2013 at 8:15PM
Lisa
Will post pics when it arrives
1 Like   April 1, 2013 at 4:29AM
Need help decorating Console Table/Shelf Decor
My husband built this lovely table out of wood and...
Need help finding metal decorative objects for shelf decoration
I would like to find the metal decorative items in...
Stuck-need help on living room- need help decorating- furniture ideas
My living room comes off the front entrance and it...
Every house deserves a name
Does your house have one? Would you like it to? Please...
Large Entryway of a bungalow ideas
My entry is south facing by the front door. From arch...
Kitchen splashback ideas???? HELP!!!
We have just painted our entire downstairs and finally...
I need a bathroom vanity with a shallow depth
I have a space allowing for only 18 inches in depth...
Ikea "Ingmarie" curtains?
Hi, this is a trivial question... I would like to change...