How to make these different interesting pieces work together without ruining the space
shaistag
Hi

Have just moved into a new house and am trying to make various pieces work. My in-laws give us a lot of expensive presents like art and rigs which are beautiful but I've often got to work around them. So my current quandary is whether I should toss the paintings? Or whether it is the rug that is too dominant? My ideal would be a sedate contemporary look.

Also, our tv unit is just looking so drab. Can I use the shelf below to make is look a bit cooler?
Analysing your colours right now - you have a lot of white to work with which is good. You have two types of wood: pale on the floor and medium on the doors. Your colours are in your lovely carpets and the paintings. How to tie it in together?

First of all - is it possible to turn your dining room set round so that it is where the darker carpet is? I feel it is blocking the view to your garden. Then turn your sofas perpendicular to the TV set so they are facing each other opposite and drawn in closer to the media cabinet. You could place the dark carpet underneath the two sofas to tie them in and the pale carpet is an echo that also draw the eye outside. You could then place a nice ottoman or low bench so that people can sit and enjoy the outside view without guests on the sofa having their view interrupted.This is all dependent on what entrance you use to come into the living room as you have two doors.

You could then paint the walls the pale colour of the cushion on your sofa which looks like a pale blue grey on my monitor to tie the woods in together and lessen the harsh lines of the white.

I cannot see the paintings close up. Could you repost please. But you could definitely add the bookcase off center over the cabinet to add visual interest.
March 17, 2013 at 6:48AM     
nonarushbrook
Hello there. Re the paintings/ rug debate i think the rug is wrong for your modern(ish) room maybe you could swap for something less traditional and in lighter colours picking up some of the tones in the Art work. So lets take a look at the Art. Can't see the paintings clearly but they look to be of exterior views. If they are then consider positioning adjacent to your fabulous French windows to create a visual link to the garden outside. Not keen ontne shelf but if you are then its certainly more funky than a TV stand. Need more photos to be able to help more Nona UK
March 17, 2013 at 6:54AM   
nonarushbrook
Good advice from ASV interiors on positioning of furniture and linking to the exterior. It's costs nothing and makes a huge difference to a room. N
March 17, 2013 at 6:57AM     
A Crew of Two
What about hanging the art on the wall by the TV? I think they would add the interest you are looking for. I would turn the rug the long way and move the loveseat in a bit. What about the shelf on the wall to the right of the garden windows? Display things that mean something to you- personal items. Photos, objects etc. And like mentioned above have an informal seating area where the tables is. I would do two chairs with a table. Put a photo gallery on the wall where you have the art leaning. Some darker pillows on the sofas pulling colors from the rugs. With a pop of color- either blue or green from the art. A floor lamp would be nice.
Lovely room!
March 17, 2013 at 7:17AM     
What's Inside Design Ltd.
Good morning,
I love your furniture and the art!
Seems to me like it's the rug that's not fitting with your style and desired look.
I heard you say "sedate and contemporary", and came up with a rug suggestion that I feel will fit that style.
Caroline :)
March 17, 2013 at 7:37AM     
celestial
Your apartment and furniture are gorgeous! Truly, you have great bones here. Your garden views are exquisite. I would like to see something globular inside to match the wonderful scuptural plant outside in the garden.

I, too, believe the rugs are not working with the furniture at all. I like the rug that What's Inside suggested.
March 17, 2013 at 7:51AM     
snyggt
You need a diffrent carpet
March 17, 2013 at 8:11AM   
shaistag
Thank you for all the comments. Such a help. Agree with suggestions on rug and love the example posted by what's inside. Hadn't thought much about positioning. Always felt constrained by the tv point, but see that turning it around may work well. Will try it out. Definitely see benefit in the informal seating area, have posted pics of paintings and slap from the other side do you can see how it connects with kitchen and front door.
March 17, 2013 at 1:25PM     
Help needed!
Any ideas on how to makeover this 1960's tiled fireplace...
Every house deserves a name
Does your house have one? Would you like it to? Please...
How to arrange my new living room
We just bought home. However this is the living room...
Dining table and chair space allowance
My dining room is 9 foot 6 inches wide. I want to...
Color of main bathroom vanity.
I am getting ready to redo a 1960's bathroom. I like...