Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennijames

I don't like this bookcase...what would you do?

jennijames
11 years ago
Thought about sheet rocking above it or painting it?

Comments (85)

• Bettina Quinn
    11 years ago
    I think some strategic paint could go a long way for the bookcase etc in this home. Add a chunky mantel to the fireplace. I would try soft beachy colors to tone down all the wood. Even paint the wood above the shelves.
    Good luck!
  • leelee
    11 years ago
    I would do away with the tree balcony and the ladder, at least for now. It draws your eye up (to what?) instead of keeping your focus on the room. Is that a powder room or closet below the balcony? Your new home has lots of potential but don't get distracted by the quirks of this house.
  • PRO
    House of Fine Carpentry- CABIFY Cabinetry
    11 years ago
    You could always hide the top portion of the stone and add paneling. Then I would suggest doing new cabinets in white.
  • User
    11 years ago
    And I'd be looking for the biggest FLOWER POT in the world, and put a big avocado tree or a ficus or a palm in it. The terra cotta color on the walls is something that goes with Italian style also, and if you think about it, Provence and Tuscan style is heavy on the earth tones. It goes with black, greens as in live plants, the burnt orange/reds in patterned oriental rugs, metallics, you name it, the flower pot color of terra cotta is a very strong adaptable color.
  • rinked
    11 years ago
    Just an option, not really a suggestion (I'm just having fun with your picture): Close part of the entry and 'balcony' to use as a loft, also close two third of the lower space, maybe add some openings for daylight.
  • PRO
    Debra Gunstanson
    11 years ago
    I think I would put doors in front of top and u could stain or paint it 2 toning is great
  • latifeh hammad
    11 years ago
    If you don't wanna spend too much money paint it but don't forget the primer
  • Jenni James
    11 years ago
    Lee lee, the white door is actually around the corner, it's a coat closet. I would tear that whole section out, but I think it's the also the closet for bedroom on other end. Moving in April. I agree may nothing up there would make it kinda disappear? I am removing ladder, don't want grandkids up there !
  • Jenni James
    11 years ago
    Ringreation, WOW...that's amazing. Can you Sheetrock my wall beside fireplace! Take out bookcase.
  • nononanna
    11 years ago
    To me, it's not the thing I would change first in the room.
  • rinked
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Sure :) end of bookcase
  • PRO
    Calin R.L. Millwork & Design, LLC
    11 years ago
    I agree with rinqreation, take it down. Once the bookcase is removed, you will notice a new problem area. My concern is that you're not taking advantage of the high ceiling. A large custom unit can be built on the adjacent wall and incorporate the A/C vent into it.
  • leelee
    11 years ago
    That's the look I was talking about with no bookcase--now the fireplace can shine with a new screen and mantle. 'Current resident's furniture gone!
  • rinked
    11 years ago
    More fun!
  • Jenni James
    11 years ago
    Rinqreation, that is so cool! How about a decorative unit with tv in it? Someone also suggested paneling over top part of fp, but not sure about that. Thanks again!!
  • Jenni James
    11 years ago
    P.s. when do you sleep;-)
  • Jenni James
    11 years ago
    This is from the house we are leaving. Could something like this work on that wall...without stuff on top?
  • pgeis
    11 years ago
    Dramatic space and light! Go with it!
    Drama!
    I could see either of two looks: big, bulky, rustic, hunter-lodge with a contemporary feel to it.
    Or ultra-modern sleek with huge statement art.
    I'd go for the latter, but you know which would make your heart sing.
  • rinked
    11 years ago
    If you'd close part of the wall opposite the fireplace and place your couches like in that, you could hang your tv on the other side.
  • rinked
    11 years ago
    And I do sleep, but I got cut back in work hours (quite sad, to be honest, crisis still lingers on) I have more time to do creative things (as long as it don't cost anything).
  • Jenni James
    11 years ago
    The problem w closing that room off is it is the dining area & has a low ceiling w skylight. I'm afraid it would be a dark cave in there.
  • rinked
    11 years ago
    Even if it were just two third of the front? So no full loft, but a wall and a small balcony? Do you know what the 'upstairs' is for?
  • Jenni James
    11 years ago
    I hope things get better for you!! Here in Oklahoma the recession is null, we are booming! Lots of jobs & low cost of living.
  • Jenni James
    11 years ago
    I guess it is just decorative, a landing. I think below is the closet for a bedroom, otherwise I would completely remove the whole thing. A photographer already feel off the ladder, so I want that ladder gone. I would like to angle the ceiling in the dining & take those posts out, but I bet they are load bearing. It's gonna be fun though!
  • rinked
    11 years ago
    I meant the diner+skylight box thing. What's up there?
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    Check out Smart Mural Stix. They do custom murals and can actually replicate your FP stone in a wallpaper mural to go on the wall where you remove the bookcase. It will look like the FP has always been there - I think you'll appreciate the idea.
  • nikitasmom
    11 years ago
    Forgive me if I am being spatially challenged but would putting the entertainment center on the opposite wall by the patio door work? If so, then you would have more flexibilty in your design. Maybe I just see it that way because the current owners sofa is blocking the fireplace.
  • Jenni James
    11 years ago
    Rin, I think that is attic space, entry from garage. Will know more on Thursday .
  • Jenni James
    11 years ago
    Nikitasmom, that is certainly an option. Will consider it. Thx
  • PRO
    Colour Theory
    11 years ago
    I'd suggest removing the whole bookcase & wood panelling...drywall that area & paint the ENTIRE fireplace wall with an accent colour that shows the fireplace to advantage. Something darkish & rich!
    Sylvia / Colour Theory / Toronto,Canada
  • leelee
    11 years ago
    Everyone has an opinion but I think your fireplace IS the accent and you don't need another color right next to it competing for attenion.
  • Jenni James
    11 years ago
    Color therapy- what color(s) would you use for the outside of my house?
  • Christine W
    11 years ago
    I would not remove it because then that weird angled wood part will be all every one sees. Remove that hutch on the wood wall. Then re-veneer the existing FP wall. Google Austin Stone, it comes in some beautiful creamy colors that will look a bit more modern that what you have. Then tone down all the wood with a large area rug a Ficus tree and a throw and some pillows.
  • rinked
    11 years ago
    What material are those (exterior) panels made of?
  • rinked
    11 years ago
    Not saying you should paint these colors, just some distraction, both for me as from the stone walls :)
  • PRO
    House of Fine Carpentry- CABIFY Cabinetry
    11 years ago
    You could use pvc or exterior mdf
  • Jenni James
    11 years ago
    Rin, it is all wood. I was thinking about the beams & trim being a rust or terra cotta color?
  • rinked
    11 years ago
    A bit like this?
    Two colors from picked from the stone; a grey tan and a sandy terracotta.
    And a rich (chocolate or rust) brown to spice it up.
  • pgeis
    11 years ago
    Burnt orange on the door is perfect! It calls attention to where to enter and gives it a warm, welcoming look. Either color scheme works, though in the mock-up, I especially like the way the the contrast in the first one calls attention to the bold geometric forms of the house structure. In second, I like the way the related, but darker shade above the garage door brings more depth to the overhang -- again, calling attention to the bold geometric shapes.
    Just as on the inside, this is a bold, dramatic structure. Embrace it! Play it up! Celebrate the house for what it is.
  • PRO
    Debra Gunstanson
    11 years ago
    Nothing has to be same level u could even add a piece to it bolt it down of course your amour is beautiful make it useful
  • Jenni James
    11 years ago
    Rin...very nice! Thanks;-))
  • leelee
    11 years ago
    I think just two colors on the outside for trim then a third stronger color on the door-the burnt orange does look good.
  • PRO
    Debra Gunstanson
    11 years ago
    I used to live in Oklahoma firs markrte are big there look around u find what your looking for also I don't know if u are near it gut Broken bow has a furniture store cheep there
  • Jenni James
    10 years ago
    Here is the end result. We put plywood in back, painted & added new, better shelves, then added a mantle on fireplace. We love it!M
  • Catherine Giesige
    10 years ago
    That's a lovely transformation.
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10 years ago
    Looks better. Nice angles on that room.
  • PRO
    Retro Planet
    10 years ago
    This really depends on your desired design of the room. Never underestimate what a little paint or wallpaper (in the cubbyholes) can do...
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Paint just the bookcase a white wash gray.
  • nikitasmom
    10 years ago
    Thank you for the closure. The bookcase came out fantastic. Everything looks so nice and different. I had to go back to the top to remind myself of how it started out.
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    NICE job on this room! That black is perfect right there! Enjoy the space!!!!