Here's the whole front room
readbetter
For those of you who wanted to see more, here it is. I know the buffet is big and dark and the table is big but I needed a place for my good china and enough seating for my immediate family. Also, please disregard the metal fencing by the front door - it keeps the dogs out of the living room. Any suggestions? I think the chandelier is too big and chunky.
jg011011
I love your style, simple yet elegant and functional! I would take out both mirrors and replace with artwork, a few layered pictures leaning on the hutch in the dining area would look great! I don't mind the chandelier, it gives a nice contrast to the white accents in the adjacent living area. If you really wanted though you could put a white light that has glass accents similar style to the one in your living room. Overall I love love love it!
4 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 7:16AM
Eliza Jane Darling
I quite like the table, buffet and chandelier - they make a nice chunky contrast to the delicate whites - though maybe the second mirror over the buffet could be switched out for something different (or nothing at all). Lovely doors, too.
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 7:22AM
readbetter
Thank you. I'm so afraid of choosing artwork. It always looks busy to me. Any suggestions?
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 7:25AM
Jayme H.
I really like your home too! The chandelier seems ok from what I can see -but if u don't like it, I agree with jg011011 that a white one would look good..Your taste seems a little more elegant than the one you have.....But hard to tell from pic..I agree maybe a change of mirrors..But its really hard to tell what the large one looks like from pic...Bad thing about photos is they don't always give the best observer viewpoint...
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 7:26AM
readbetter
I always thought mirrors would enlarge a tiny space. Now you've got me to thinking maybe I should change them. Like I said above, I am very afraid of choosing art. I'm willing to try though. And, you hit it on the head - I always think I make things too formal for the house. I want it to be more casual. What do you think would bring it down a few notches? Thanks.
1 Like   March 17, 2013 at 7:29AM
Jayme H.
This one is sorta cool
3 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 7:29AM
jg011011
Sorry, I meant white chandelier not light!
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 7:30AM
Jayme H.
I can see something like this in your home (the pic)
1 Like   March 17, 2013 at 7:41AM
readbetter
I like it. Do you know who sells it?
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 7:54AM
celestial
A rug with blues in it under the white seating area would soften and "casualize" the look.
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 7:57AM
Jayme H.
@readbetter...sorry, it is a room off the Houzz site, but I cannot pull it up from my pic...Wanted to give an idea of what I thought could work...
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 8:10AM
snyggt
I like your place,but I would add a rug,artwork and curtains for some colour
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 8:18AM
jg011011
No no no curtains, not in a small space. They will only darken the area and have it appear smaller. Your window coverings are perfect!
2 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 8:31AM
Interior Enhancements of Indianapolis
Very pretty! I might add a rug (a decent sized runner, oval, or rectangular shape) in between the two spaces, the entry area to separate the spaces, yet when combining a common color or two of both rooms, it will actually join them visually, adding interest and warmth. I would definitely add a couple very slim/sleek fabric covered cornices (that coordinate with the pillows) to the windows to cover the blind valance, add softness and a "finishing touch" to the room. Adding a rug under the sofa/table area may look too visually crowded. I find that most people tend to put too small a rug size at their main entry. It looks like you have room to put a decent size rug and make a great statement. You'll just want to make sure the one you choose is going to fit under your door when opening. Best of luck. You're on the right track!
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 10:45AM
readbetter
Thanks, Interior Enhancements... I love the idea or cornices. I'm having a chair recovered upstairs and will ask the upholsterer. And, love the idea of the runner.
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 11:03AM
Except for the mirrors, I think you've nailed it. Try to get excited about art - you've taken a chance with the bird so visit a gallery or university art department and get excited about more interest for your walls.
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 11:14AM
gowithyourgut design
to make it less "elegant" place a large basket by the fireplace. Add a shaggy (but nice) rug and a throw. Find some good art. The mirror over the couch competes with the windows.
Good job you are almost done!
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 11:32AM
readbetter
I need to take baby steps because I'm afraid of color, hence art. But you have all encouraged me to take those steps. I like the basket idea too. I'm also going to get a rug. Thanks so much.
2 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 11:56AM
Ann
Nice, Jayme!
1 Like   March 17, 2013 at 1:10PM
Ann
Oops - the picture Jayme posted is now gone or at least I'm not seeing it anymore.
1 Like   March 17, 2013 at 1:12PM
nononanna
There's no hurry on the art front - one day you're going to come across an art show with things you just love, or meet someone who is an artist that you like, or something like that. Don't buy something just to fill a space, because the space looks wonderful as it is.
1 Like   March 17, 2013 at 1:18PM
becbe54
I agree I like the dark, rich wood of the buffet and table. I wouldn't change the chandelier... but some nice artwork might look better and remove the mirrors. You have a lovely home ...it's very warm and inviting.
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 1:25PM
Jayme H.
@Ann...I misrespresented the artist and was researching the correct one..the artist is Amy O. Woodbury
1 Like   March 17, 2013 at 1:28PM
Olivia
It's a woman's prerogative to change her mind, so try a bold piece of artwork that won't break the bank. Live with it for a while, and change it in a year if you get tired of it.

The next time you buy flowers, will it be yellow daffodils? Purple irises? Red roses? Any of those accent colors would fit in your room. With those elegant neutrals, your artwork options are wide open. Just go with whatever speaks to you (the loudest).
http://fineartamerica.com/products/yellow-daffs-jamie-frier-framed-print.html
1 Like   March 17, 2013 at 1:30PM
nononanna
I don't know how you feel about contemporary abstract, but I saw this artist on a blog the other day, and I think her things might be lovely. Again it might not at all be your style. Her name is Kerry Steele, at kerrysteele.com
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 1:32PM
carolins
Thought the room looked familiar.

Since we are all on art suggestions now, I have a few cute ones:

Wood Branch Wall Decor
Girl in the Yellow Suit Print by Kiki & Polly
"First Light I" Giclee Print
"White Light" by Jodi Mass

The trick is to browse the art section at Houzz, etsy.com, local art galleries... and you'll find your pieces. They will add so much personality to your home. Not as much as Lulu (as she's called in my mind) of course, but still ;-)
2 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 1:47PM
laursiedoone
Art, a rug & some throws. It's a lovely room it just needs personalising.
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 1:56PM
nononanna
Or not, if you like it the way it is.
1 Like   March 17, 2013 at 2:01PM
beverlynn
This is simply beautiful!! My living/dining room is totally creams and off white! The color is in all of my artwork!! Like all of the above comments, remove the mirrors and add artwork! Don't be afraid of art, embrace it! Attend Art Festivals/Shows in your area! If a piece of art speaks to you, then get it!
3 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 2:04PM
readbetter
I've been looking at FabianArts on Etsy and found some too. This will take some time but I see how much fun it can be. Thanks.
3 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 2:06PM
carolins
Oh yes, just looked at FabianArts and hmm... can definitely see why you like those :-)
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 2:13PM
beverlynn
It is a lot of fun and you're right, you have to take your time! Also, have you considered getting lamps with a colored base? I used to have red ginger jar lamps, but one bit the dust after my last out of state move. I found these brown ones that work beautifully. One designer stated in an article in House Beautiful that you should have something the color of your eyes in your livng room. Consider lamps, artwork, or a rug that has the color of your eyes in the piece!
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 2:18PM
readbetter
I liked "Heads Up" because it was so light and playful. I would have to have it cropped to fit the little mirror space over the couch. ..... maybe. You folks are winning me over.
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 2:18PM
readbetter
Love that idea!
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 2:19PM
Olivia
Great website. The only thing I know about you other than having good taste is that you like daffodils. Have fun shopping, and post photos for us!

giclee&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=all&ga_facet=Daffodil+giclee
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 2:35PM
Jayme H.
Here is something different..again Amy O. Woodbury, artist
1 Like   March 17, 2013 at 2:41PM
Jayme H.
Dang..too small...I have her work in an ideabook of mine and /or go to her ideabooks...cool stuff.
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 2:43PM
readbetter
Thanks, Jayme. I like it. I'll go look.
1 Like   March 17, 2013 at 2:46PM
Olivia
Her work looks like fun. I can see the dance movement!
http://www.amyowoodbury.com/#figures-and-structures/
1 Like   March 17, 2013 at 2:50PM
Jayme H.
I like the subtleness of her work
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 2:54PM
Jayme H.
A little quirky and whimsical
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 2:54PM
readbetter
Thanks for the sites, samples, and ideas. I am going to have a hard time going to work tomorrow - I'm starting to like all this art!
1 Like   March 17, 2013 at 3:05PM
sjkingston
What about moving the bird that is a little big over the mantel to over the extra large buffet? It's a lovely piece that everyone loved in your other post.
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 7:03PM
Tres McKinney Design
An area rug in the living room would add the most impact and warm up the small space. Keep the windows simple. I would replace the blinds with white plantation shutters (no cornices). Put the mirror over the fireplace and eventually find prints or paintings that you like for the walls. Consider a round table or ottoman instead of the small square coffee table. Add a pair of large scaled tall ceramic lamps with linen shades on the buffet with the mirror or a large painting. If you put the mirror over the fireplace the put a painting over the buffet or vice versa. Add more of the smokey blues in accents or rugs .
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 7:16PM
jabbott2012
These prints would look perfect somewhere in your place: http://ben-and-raisa-gertsberg.artistwebsites.com/art/all/seashells+spectacular/all
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 7:32PM
What do people think of low divide sinks. Elkay makes one
What do people think of low divide sinks like Elkay...
paulabrennan
Need help for my living room!
Our living room is very long, with two openings and...
jenellison7
Buckram or no buckram
I have four glass sliding doors in a sun room. We are...
marakatz
Kitchen countertops
We really like white piracema granite but it is always...
gidoen1939
Where does one find a curved sofa?
Trying to re do my living room.
Kathleen Cahill