What is best way to prevent black bamboo from running?
Rica
March 17, 2013 in Other
Please share your experience from landscaping or any diy methods. There are bamboo barriers I found online, but I wanted to know if they are effective. How about planter boxes? Everything I found are so expensive. Thanks for sharing.
Ironwood Builders
Burying terra cotta planters or plastic tubs works...but there are black varieties that are clumping vs. running. Look for them and you won't need a control barrier.
1 Like   March 17, 2013 at 1:21PM
Lizabeth
Check out the American Bamboo society where you can learn fun facts about Bamboo. http://www.bamboo.org/FAQ.html

Yes go with a clumper and find out what climate zone it prefers.
1 Like   March 17, 2013 at 3:13PM
Black stemmed bamboo phyllostachys Nigra is a leptomorph bamboo and runs. You can stop it doing so with vigilance. Plant a rhizome barrier - which is a thick black plastic about 6mm thick and 1m deep. You need to plant the barrier 90cm below ground and leave 10cm above ground. Ensure you have a tight overlap all the way around the plant(s) so the roots don't find a way out. Bamboo roots are essentially lazy and won't bother to grow deeper than 60cm after that they start to shoot up and out. This is where in spring and fall you need to conduct an seasonal check for any rhizomes that are jumping over the 10cm that are visible.
Cut them immediately. Also cull the center dead or oldest bamboos to allow for interior growth or else the bamboo WILL find a way to escape.
1 Like   March 17, 2013 at 3:59PM
Lizabeth
with over 2000 cultivers of bamboo hopefully the OP can find one they like instead of P nigra, Perhaps clumping timor Black Bamboo would be the right one.
A running bamboo that is kept contained will not reach optimun health. I really recommned contacting a member of the American Bamboo Society for advice. Those guys live and breathe bamboo. There are bamboos for every site and conditions. Trying to contain one that does want to be contained will stress the plant and be an uphill battle.
2 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 5:20PM
What is the best way to limited the growth / spread of bamboo
Trying to conceal a very old and ugly block wall kicking...
chipper279
Whats the best way to polish bamboo floors?
I'm laying bamboo floors but they're getting scruffy...
wilcyu
How to prevent water from running outside shower
I made this shower all in the same level with the floor It...
shoushy
Converting 2BHK to 3BHK
We are planning to buy a new apartment which is a 2BHK...
akshayapradeep
Wallpaper or paint?
All these decorations will be removed anyway. So,...
zangiex3
Big Poster for living/dining room
Hi everyone, I am working on my own home for some...
genz123
Need help for my living room
hi to every one i have 2 red sofas and a black...
kareine
Holy bathroom
I am moving into a condo. It is a rental so I am limited...
nadiagravely