Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carrie1019

Need help with bedroom.

carrie collins
11 years ago
I don't know what color bedding should use. I want the room to look more faminine. The rug and lamps near the bed can be seen on Horchow. The wall and curtains are light green and I tried to pick up the colors in the rug in the picture over the bed.

Comments (64)

• Debbie Detter Goodman
    11 years ago
    The rug needs to be pulled down some. You need to get rid of all the dark green plants. The dark green is throwing everything off balance. A warm orange or blue for a bed cover or duvet. Shorter lamps, maybe a glass or shiny lamp. Pier 1 has beautiful lamps. I think the picture is pretty but I don't think it's right for the room with the dark green in it. Makes the room look to hard.
  • Tamara Brooking
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I would go with cream or soft white Matelasse bed cover with the the pillows you already have. A nice solid colored bed scarf or blanket at the end of the bed would look great. Maybe in the orange color in your rug? Oh, and I would pull the rug out, so it's only half way under the bed. Lovely rug.
  • Tamara Brooking
    11 years ago
    I also like the fact that your room is in different styles. And a mix of warm and cool. To me, it looks collected. When you find the right bedding, it will all pull together.
  • ktdid56
    11 years ago
    Not that it means much, but, I would show more of the rug and pull it out some. Replace the lamps with something smaller and black to pull the black from the rug. They don't have to match, but stick to the same material such as wrought iron. Shades should be the neutral color in the rug and large. Replace the huge pic above the bed with something softer and with fewer colors if you want that feminine look. If you want to go bolder, get a triple set of modern art in either warm gold frames or dark wood to match the wood in the bedroom ensemble, or go for 3 small artist framed Mark Rothko posters that can bring out the colors in your inspiration piece. The bedding should be the neutral beige or tan in the rug and the toss pillows can be any or all of the colors in the rug. Plus, to make the room extra plush, go with linen draperies that match or is a little darker than the wall color over the sheers. If this is too pricey, go with stationary side panels. And definitely get rid of the flowery stuff on the nightstands. Replace with some statue or obelisk or ceramic something and some personal pictures. If you want flowers, use a small bud vase with a single flower and a stem of green. Post when you have made up your mind with the finished product.
  • PRO
    Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
    11 years ago
    DO NOT go smaller on your table lamps - that is the first mistake most amateurs make - is putting those stupid small table lamps next to this big sleigh bed - your proportions are perfect. The lamps are fine.
    The painting above the headboard is the wrong shape, size and context.

In other words - don't put flowers on your floor in the area rug AND on the wall art - its too much of the same subject.

Go for a soothing landscape, or water colour - or abstract.

Bring more gold into your room - your lamps are gorgeous - and they are the right height as well.
    Add more gold, in toss cushions and textural ornate mirrors.

the blue quilted comforter is lovely - pull the blue out of your area rug, and
    change out your artwork to better reflect that calming, feminine look your after.

Find a few more items and then repost with your changes made - you'll get there.
  • Brenda Ryan
    11 years ago
    I'm not a designer, but I think you should pull out the rug further from underneath the bed and replace the picture. I like the picture and the rug, but there is too much competition going on with them together. If you remove the picture, I think your lamps should be OK too. I'm liking orange for your bedding, with throw pillows mixing in the green and blues. Blue bedding would look nice too.
  • PRO
    Design & Decor By Shelley
    11 years ago
    Hi Carrie, I agree with most of the comments above and i do believe that your rug is much too large for this space..Try something smaller in a solid perhaps a nice gray or even white. I attached a very romantic bedding set that in my opinion would coordinate nicely with the walls and curtains.
    The art work above the bed although it has beautiful colours does not create the style/mood you are going for..Try something with softer colour..
  • friends250
    11 years ago
    change into more colorful and different material and different pillows
  • Debbie Detter Goodman
    11 years ago
    I just want to say, I don't think it's nice to make degrading remarks about other peoples ideas. I don't believe that's what we're here for. Just because your a professional decorator doesn't mean your decorating appeals to everyone. This site is here for everyone to express their sense of decorating professional or amateur without being sarcastic to others.
  • babzie933
    11 years ago
    First, I LOVE the rug and saw it a few months ago and thought about buying it for my living room. Second, I love the pillows you chose at the top of your bed. I agree with Tamara about a bold throw at the foot of the bed in one of the colors from the rug. Love the sagey wall color - someone posted three photos of matelesse coverlets...I think the second one with beige gold color and texture could look beautiful! You're on the right track (:
  • User
    11 years ago
    Simple, get black..It will anchor the room and won't fight with the rug :)
  • PRO
    Business_Name_Placeholder
    11 years ago
    It feels a little heavy. A coral duvet, with a textural throw in earthy green or taupe, neutral sheets and vivid throw pillows! Replace the lamps with armed sconces and place a couple of colorful items on the bedside tables. Frame the artwork above the bed or replace with decorative mirrors. That's all.
  • cluelessintheyard
    11 years ago
    So much food for thought here, eh? I used a very similar green in my bedroom. Greens are tricky.Love it in your space (so peaceful) and that's a beautiful bedframe. The wood has red tones and the green is complementary in colorwheelspeak. Nice. You've got Deco elements in the rug and lamps - bold AND feminine with the swirls in the rug and the statuesque formality of the lamps. I say keep it simple and let the bones show.
    Yes, show more rug and since the design isn't symmetrical perhaps play with the movement and color a different orientation might give you. Keep the space above the bed quiet - aka open. Please remove the tchochkes from the side tables! I like the pillows especially the orange?red? leaf pattern with the softer colors. It adds a little edgy modern feel and a touch of energy. I'd pick that up and add curtain panels over the sheer. If you're feeling saucy how about midnight blue velvet or emerald green? I'd go with somethig with shine and a small geometric pattern so it reads solid but has depth and balances the solidity of the bedframe. Oh, and you asked about bedlinens? :D Indulgent and consistent would be satin! But to add a little contrast - cream rather than white.
    And if your heart insists on art over the bed? What say you to a black and white high contrast print, as wide as the bedframe - lovers in Paris in the 30s. Voila!
  • kbw1207
    11 years ago
    Can the bed be angled to make the room look less formal and matchy/matchy? The picture above the bed could go into the bathroom or nearby hallway to connect to the rug, but not to over power and darken in the current location. I like the idea of a golden tone (to act as neutral) for the linens and a bright throw across the bed--that picks up a color from the rug. I would move the rug out whether you change the position of the bed or not. I like mixing some formal and informal in this bedroom set up! It's a great beginning! Have fun decorating your new bedroom!
  • freetocreate
    11 years ago
    I agree with the coral bedding believe it will pull everything together.
  • Curtis O'brien
    11 years ago
    The room looks great like
    Tamara Brooking said it has a beautiful mix of warm and cool. which make it looks collected A nice solid colored bed scarf or blanket at the end of the bed would look great in the orange tone . As for the lamps they are perfect KEEP them , Its so true many people think bedroom must put small lamps . the lamp add a touch of touch of elegance .....
  • nasmijati
    11 years ago
    TO ALL POSTERS: Carrie Collins asked for help choosing a color for her bed linens. Period.

Dear Carrie,
    Sometimes late in a discussion thread, people have not taken the time to read all the way through, and lose YOUR request. It is frustrating, is it not?

I suggest a silk bedcover with some pattern in it, such as the stripes that Hotel Collection posted, or one with some interesting texture such as the one Tiffany Schnierle_Buckner posted. I prefer gold for your room, to go with the special chair you have.
    I agree that a "bed runner" across the foot of the bed in a complimentary color might be nice.

I believe you have spent quite a bit of time selecting "just the right things" based on your likes and your personality. Some things might be what you had available, so you used them in your bedroom. This is one of the more interesting bedrooms I have seen for a while. It is not "decorated," it is YOU!
    Please do no take unsolicited negative advice about your choice of rugs, lamps, artwork, and other things in your room to heart. Disregard it, and focus only on your request for help choosing a color for your bedding.
  • folk698
    11 years ago
    i like your bedroom :) my color thought is the coral in the rug if you'd like to punch up the color or a golden yellow if you want to keep it muted
  • johanna_fox2748
    11 years ago
    It's a bedroom, you want tranquility in your room. I would go with a sage green comforter to help tone down the bright colours. You want to feel relaxed in your bedroom.

It certainly has personality, and I don't think the sage would take away from it. If you put a bolder colour in it will take all that away.
  • PRO
    Farha Syed Design, LLC
    11 years ago
    Hello Carrie
    For your bedding I would suggest, soft cream sheets with a cotton blanket, the same color as the base color of the rug, tightly tucked in the sides and a color throw blanket at the foot of the bed. The reason I say to bring in the base color in the blanket is because it will not fight with the wall color but rather complement it, because its a neutral color. The throw pillows with some textures in blues, greens and yellows from the rug. I think bringing in textures will make the space look more inviting and cozy.
    I absolutely love the rug but I agree with others that its fighting with the painting above the bed and that it should be pulled down a tad bit. I do like those square mirrors with the gold. You can perhaps have 3 along the headboard. I love the lamps, definitely keep them. I would put a clear vase with coral colored flowers, they can be artificial so it always looks fresh. And I would put that clear vase replacing the greenery on the right side, which is proportionate to the one on the left side greenery, that looks very contained. That night table is done in terms of what goes on it.

I hope it helps.
  • kimsgotstyle
    11 years ago
    the picture is not working with the carpet...your carpet is the art, work with that and put a mirror over your bed...something feminine...I think a soft orange bed covering would be great and remove the pillow with the red in it....you can still have fun with pattern but it shouldn't compete with the carpet it should compliment it....I'm an interior stylist and colour consultant and own a beach inspired furniture and home decor store in Cowichan Bay B.C...hope this helps
  • onthefence
    11 years ago
    I think that first Matelassé posted by eztia from Kaboodle in a light blue would look so beautiful on your bed. I looks like it would work beautifully with the wall color, the color in the rug and it would really show the wood of your best in it's best light.
  • onthefence
    11 years ago
    An afterthought comment after going back and looking at all your photos again...

In the first photo (the one with the lamps turned on) I think I'd prefer the blue Matelassé. In the last photo (a lot of natural light but no lamp light) I think I'd like the gold Matelassé.

It looks like you a get a lot of really warm light from your lamps so in that light the blue feels better. Plus, I think the blue works better with the wood of your bed and with the gold chair you show in your other post.

OK, blue it is for my vote!
  • PRO
    It's a Beautiful World!
    11 years ago
    Carrie, as many have already suggested, your rug is multicolored and dictates what you should do with the rest of the room which is use the rug's colors for the bedding and art. I would use lighter colors of yellow/green/blue for the bedding and use the coral/red for your artwork. The current wall art does not seem to work well with your rug. Obviously you like floral theme but since you have enough flowers in your rug's design, perhaps, you should opt for a simpler, more abstract piece, with minimum number of colors, something like this. Best of luck... Raisa

http://ben-and-raisa-gertsberg.artistwebsites.com/featured/warm-swirl-ben-and-raisa-gertsberg.html
  • PRO
    Mycom
    11 years ago
    Great sledge bed! You have a beautiful high room with big windows. Did not read any comments above, but looking at your fotos i see you have some style confusion in the room. I attach some example of bed sheets from Pottery Barn, look at their web to check out some bedrooms. Since you have the pale green walls and light curtains, its good to put some contrast orange/red accent as you did. However some suggestions: get rid of the rug and the picture above the bed and exchange it for a series of 3 - 4 pieces with natural motive and with a wooden frame. The lamps are great, but way too big for the night tables, rather show them off somewhere in the day area. Get a small night table lamps such as example pictures. All items are from Pottery Barn.
  • bdarrow
    11 years ago
    No bedspread. Use a velvety blanket in one of the bright colors in the rug. Get a nice gold frame for the picture. Glue ball fringe to the bottom of the lampshades and get enough to sew on one of your pillows.
  • leelee
    11 years ago
    Move one of your lamps to another room then try a different shade on the one remaining--that could make all the difference. As others have noted, the picture over the bed isn't right. I don't think this bed calls for a picture over it but would it work on another wall in the bedroom? The coral is a beautiful compliment to the pale green walls. Besides pulling the rug out could it be angled to soften all the aligned corners? Your pillows are great. Use real plants, never artificial.
  • PRO
    User
    11 years ago
    Good start. The rug is quite dramatic with lots of life so that would be my start. The deep orangy tone is full of energy and I would pick that up for that reason.
    First get a paint colour close to that tone and paint both the wall behind the bed and the window wall that colour (not sure what the rest of the room is ??) . Layer the window in the same or deeper tone to create a full wrapped colour.
    On the bed repeat in solid tones in one big cover.. folded tan coloured sheets can accent and then you can throw all of your pillows in the other colours onto it... Declutter your nite stands to bare minimum.
    Not too difficult. Very clean. Let the rug do all of the work. good luck
  • nasmijati
    11 years ago
    Carrie, are you there? What are your thoughts?
  • carrie collins
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for the information. I will take them all into consideration. For those who gave positive feedback, especially thank you. I am not a professional designer but I try. In fact, everyone who sees my house says it should be in house and garden. The picture was only there on a trial basis and I will replace it. I am keeping my lamps because I like them. Will consider mirrors on the wall.

Thanks again.
  • Tandy
    11 years ago
    I'm not a professional designer either---just do the best I can. I'm thinking about posting a "design dilemma," but I can see it takes courage, time and mental space to process all the feedback. Whoa...what a LOT of ideas from varied perspectives! Professionals--and amateurs alike--are generous, opinionated, kind, experienced, abrupt, encouraging, etc...

My professional area is cognition--especially critical and creative thinking. (This has been my first thread to follow; and, for me it has been like living inside a fascinating case study of creative idea-generation and problem-solving collaboration. Fascinating.) From a cognitive point of view, I encourage to you give yourself plenty of courage, time and mental space to process the invaluable feedback you've been given. Plenty of space.

It'll be interesting to see if I muster up the courage to jump in like you have, Carrie. I can only imagine that your head was spinning while your heart and soul were being tugged back and forth. Take care and good luck to you!
  • carrie collins
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    It is spinning. I am considering the suggestions but will follow my instincts.

Thanks
  • hlemon
    11 years ago
    I would remove the art above bed and do a decorative mirror. Also a duvet rolled up at foot of the bed would be cozy.
  • mamao1956
    11 years ago
    Carrie, I love the colors in your room. I'm not a pro either, so I would really love to see what you decide to do with your bedding choice. You've certainly gotten a lot of opinions! Please post a picture of the end result.
  • Ann
    11 years ago
    I don't have anything to offer regarding your question but that rug is absolutely beautiful!!!!!
  • elcieg
    11 years ago
    Ann, you can find the rug on Overstock.com.
  • carrie collins
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks Ann. Judyg I saw the rug on Horchow and found it cheaper on Overstock. Thanks for sharing.
  • carrie collins
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Brocadered, Hlemon, and mama1956, I will post the finish results. Thanks for the moral support. I think a mirror or two smaller size mirrors will look great. The picture does have to go. Too busy.
  • nasmijati
    11 years ago
    I look forward to seeing a photo of your room when it is finished, too.
  • PRO
    Studio NOO Design
    11 years ago
    I agree with Tiffany, go with solid blue and texture on bedding...I would put simple and modern, red blown glass lamps with off white circle shades...not sure about art work, too much with the rug, which is in fact your focal point...try to pick up its colors with more cushions and you're done ! love the rug by the way !
  • barblt001
    11 years ago
    I think I see the color they are calling mint this season in your rug. Definitely feminine and one of my favorite colors. I also thought a shade of mauve or purple but can't see that in your rug.
  • Nancy Canales
    11 years ago
    I love your room and suggest a periwinkle blue for bedding, that would match the blue in the rug.Who would think about picking out the bedding first? That is a great tip, which I am currently not following.
  • carrie collins
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I ofund the blue bed covering and it really brings the room out. It is silk and I had it in storage. I am going to get a mirror to put over the bed which should bring the lamps out. Thanks Nancy. When the mirror comes in, I will take a picture of the room.
  • Tandy
    11 years ago
    In storage??? How cool is that? Something you loved so much you couldn't bear to get rid of it! Now you can tell your husband, partner, friend, mom or sister, "I told you I shouldn't get rid of it! That blue silk **belongs** in my world." (Chuckling out loud.) Doesn't it feel good to be right? Seriously, can't wait to see the new pics.
  • carrie collins
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Waiting on the mirror. Should be in next week. Will send pics when it is put up. Also have to get help changing position of the rug. Thanks for your support.
  • nasmijati
    11 years ago
    Looking forward to seeing your new bedding and mirror! :)
  • kimsgotstyle
    11 years ago
    it's going to look fab...I know you got a lot more advice than you counted on but look at the end result....way to go !!!
  • carrie collins
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks
  • heatherd1968
    11 years ago
    Love the bed and carpet. Can't wait to see the final pics