Direct vent gas stoves.
retirewalnut
Need a surround idea for a free standing direct vent gas stove in a cottage living room. Looking to tile the area behind it and have a mantle with a built in bookcase with TV on the other side.
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
You will get some assistance if you include several pictures of the area so that houzzers can respond.
0 Likes   March 20, 2013 at 4:08PM
retirewalnut
It will be a new construction and not yet started. Thx.
0 Likes   March 20, 2013 at 7:05PM
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
Then I would suggest you go up to the Houzz search bar at the top of the page. Try several different searches - fireplaces, fireplace surrounds, built ins, etc. When you enter your search criteria, select photos and then hit the search icon. There are thousands of pictures of fireplaces and surrounds. Save any you like to an ideabook. Good luck.
0 Likes   March 21, 2013 at 8:03AM
The Victorian Fireplace
so, is it truly a freestanding stove you have planned or are you framing a direct vent fireplace into the bookcase unit?
0 Likes   March 21, 2013 at 8:05AM
retirewalnut
Yes, a freestanding direct vent stove. We are building a new cottage and we do not care for the look of the colored enamel stoves just sitting on a wood floor. We would like a built in surround with possibly some Anne Sacks tiles and wood around it and a mantle for Christmas decorating. We will have a stone or brick wood burning fireplace in our screened in porch so no need for another fireplace look in the living room. Thank you.
0 Likes   March 21, 2013 at 8:42AM
The Victorian Fireplace
hmmm....when you say freestanding stove, the imagery that comes to mind for me is something like this....
0 Likes   March 21, 2013 at 8:54AM
retirewalnut
Exactly and they come in sand, green, blue, majolica and black enamel and can look very pretty in the right settings and fit in well with a cottage style. I have only found about 3 pictures on Houzz with surrounds so am on a hunt for more ideas so I can give the cabinet maker an idea of what I want. I can design it myself but prefer to have a visual before I start. Thank you.
0 Likes   March 21, 2013 at 8:58AM
ruthmand
This is very confusing. You want a free standing "gas" stove with a mantle? Am not sure I have seen that anywhere.
0 Likes   March 21, 2013 at 9:00AM
The Victorian Fireplace
versus a direct vent fireplace that's frame into a cavity which would end up looking something like this...
0 Likes   March 21, 2013 at 9:01AM
The Victorian Fireplace
okay, I think I got the picture now. What you need then is a rear vented direct vent gas stove. Something done a bit like this....I'm still working on the TV and Bookcase thing
0 Likes   March 21, 2013 at 9:18AM
retirewalnut
Please see attached photo. Hopefully, there. This is the general idea but done with wood and tiles and a book case, TV cabinet on right side.
0 Likes   March 21, 2013 at 10:30AM
retirewalnut
This would hide the brunt of the flue pipe. That is our goal.
0 Likes   March 21, 2013 at 10:30AM
The Victorian Fireplace
I was looking to see if I had any photos of such an application. Now I'm thinking something akin to a bungalow or arts and crafts style fireplace where there is a low wall and bookshelves on either side. Rather than having a fireplace in the center, just having an alcove where the freestanding stove could be placed.
0 Likes   March 21, 2013 at 10:43AM
retirewalnut
Great suggestion. I went to fireplaces for Arts and Crafts style and saw quite a few ideas for fireplaces that could be turned into an area for a stove. Thanks so much for your terrific thoughts!
0 Likes   March 21, 2013 at 3:14PM
The Victorian Fireplace
It's my pleasure and I'm so happy that helped. I hope you get the fireplace design that your heart desires!
0 Likes   March 21, 2013 at 7:18PM
Keep the tub or remove?
I will be putting in a shower should I keep the tub...
slh0303
Help with this bathroom please!
I just put the rock up on the wall as an accent to...
erica320
1950 bathroom
Should I change tub from aqua to white or tile from...
wedding831
How can I improve this kitchen nook?
Ok design enthusiasts, what would you do with this...
kimberlysc
baseboard height formula
how high should baseboard be compared to ceiling height...
raypilch