Foyer Paint Reccomendations
Erin
I just bought a new home w a giant walk in foyer. It has large wall space, a large chandelier, and awesome light coming in. My Great Room is the color sticks and stones. What colors would you suggest??
latifeh
I think because its a big space you can go with what ever color you like
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 12:59PM
64cheryl
I was excited to see this post. I have the same issue! When I walk through open houses, I see 2 interior base colors. I see a very warm yellow and I see a very soft sand color. I am a chicken to leave white, but it's time! I too want suggestions :)
1 Like   March 17, 2013 at 7:06PM
Presumably you have some furniture that will be in the area. Look at the colors of the upholstered pieces. The paint should be a happy mix with your sofa and chair colors. You might want to take a cushion with you for the next part of this endeavor.

Now go visit a Sherwin-Williams or a Benjamin Moore paint store if those brands are available to you.
Pick up those paint strips that have about 6 colors per strip. Choose the ones that look good with your furniture, or are in neutral colors like gray, tan, and taupe that might look good with future furniture. Take them home and see which strips look best. I want you to use the 2nd or 3rd color down on the strip. That will be the right intensity for your walls in a large area. Select your favorite 2 or 3 colors.

Go back to the store and buy sample jugs of those colors. You'll also need to acquire some cheap paint brushes and large poster boards, one for each color, plus masking tape. After you need to give each poster board two coats of paint, let them dry and then tape them to the walls. Look at them in various locations in daylight and at night, taping them to the walls.

By the way, I paint walls and ceilings the same color if the color is not too dark. Other designers leave the ceilings white. Your choice. Sometimes it works well to have the ceilings the same color as the wall when the ceilings go off at strange angles or change levels.

After a couple of days I hope you will have made a decision. Now you need to hire a professional to do the job. Best of luck. We're here if you have more questions.
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 7:26PM
Erin
Thanks!!! It's a foyer so no furniture will be in the area (such as upholstery). I will most likely do a water piece or a table. So should I pick the paint colors based on the table/ water piece or just pick a complimentary color?? I like the idea of painting it all 1 color but then I would have to do in entire house as it extends to the 2nd floor hallway. Should I paint 2 colors or 1? Thanks!!!
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 7:39PM
I'm sorry. I thought you were painting the entry and great room and getting rid of the sticks and stones. If not then I would probably paint the entry sticks and stones. But not certain as I don't know what it looks like tho it sound like a neutral color. You could instead choose a shade darker or lighter.
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 8:08PM
POWERED BLUE SOFA AND LOVE SEAT IN OUR VACATION HOME
NEED HELP WITH PILLOW COLORS AND AND ACCENT COLORS...
staining concrete floors
new construction, radiant floor heat, slab foundation...
Looking for easy home renovation project management apps
We are knocking down our old house & building a new...
raised paver patio delimma
we have just put in a paver patio. The perimeter was...