Lighting gurus: what are my options here?
Jillian
I'm a total novice here. Am I stuck getting another swag chain chandelier for this space? What would be an appropriate size replacement? The width of the breakfast nook area where it will hang is 12 ft. If you can see in other photo, previous owner hung only 2 modern mini pendants near, but not over, kitchen Island, giant ugly Game of Thrones chandelier in nook, and then contemporary brushed nickel and dark wood fan in family room. Very schizophrenic design, or lack thereof.
fuzinav
The swag is necessary if you want the light centered and want to avoid moving the wiring. Cheapest option is another swag, but it does not have to be on a chain! Look to see if there is one you like.
March 17, 2013 at 6:28pm   
Jillian
I'm so out of the loop. Would a pendant style still anchor in the same way and "swag over" on a hook, or are the pendant cords too rigid to allow that? Are some cords flexible and others not? Thanks for any info. Here's an example of what I mean by pendant cord
March 17, 2013 at 6:46pm   
Victoria Pierce
NOT sure the swag needs to be replaced... BUT the others sure do... try changing them out first.. .
I like the fan but it does not appear to go with the lamp... what is your style , your furniture... More info.. then more choices...
March 17, 2013 at 6:51pm   
Jillian
I cannot live with that lamp that's there now. I am most in line asthetically with the mini pendants, things that are contemporary and fun. The furniture is also contemporary cherry wood and glass, brown leather chairs and sofa, dark walnut floors. Fan will actually blend in. I don't have a table and chairs for the space under the chandelier yet so that is pretty open. There's many ceiling lamps I like that I think will bridge the style gap between the other lights, but I don't know if it needs to be a certain size chain or cord etc. Someone at a lighting store told me I had to get another chain fixture but I didn't think that sounded right.
March 17, 2013 at 7:06pm   
fuzinav
Installing a track would allow you to hang multiple lights or relocate one light to the center. Check with an electrician, but it may not be too costly to just have the "electrical box" the current lamp hangs from relocated and then you can install a ceiling fixture or another type of light such as a pendant. Vis á Vis sticking with a swag style, there are more contemporary swags that have covered cords rather than chains.
March 17, 2013 at 7:19pm     
Jillian
I'd rather not move the box and patch the ceiling and repaint, so the swag it is. Thanks for explaining I'm not stuck to a chain style. Most of the pendants I've seen hang from a rigid pole, like a curtain rod. I didn't know some of them will bend.
March 17, 2013 at 7:38pm   
Victoria Pierce
Great thanks for more info.. then you so want a modern lamp... You can have the lamp centered so you do not have to swag.. it is a bit of a mess to have it done... but then you can get the modern light you wants..
March 17, 2013 at 7:42pm   
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
Need Advice About Large Family Portrait
We had a large family portrait done last year and it...
4000 square foot home with pool mediterranean style on 2 acres
I need a Mediterranean style plan for a 4000 square...
Lighten up and Coordinate Open Floor Plan-Family Room, Kitchen, Dining
We purchased an area rug for our family room that ended...
Need help with Hood and Liner installation
I need to install a VentAHood liner and semi custom...