Light grey fabric + brown leather sofa
nabaa
Hello everyone,

I am trying to complement my light grey fabric sofa with another mid-to-dark brown leather one. Do you think it will look to good to match fabric and leather? What about the colours?

I have attached a picture of my light grey fabric couch + a picture of the leather couch that I want to add + a picture of the fabric compared to the light brown leather + a picture of the fabric compared to the dark brown leather.

I am completely lost, what do you guys think? Any opinion would be helpful!

Thanks
Kevin Retired Decorator
I would highly recommend going with 2 chairs instead another sofa. It will be a better balance for the room. The chairs could be done in brown but I do think you need a bright accent color. Red,Aqua, for pillows & art work.
1 Like   March 17, 2013 at 8:03PM
latifeh
I don't the sofa is a good idea it's gonna look mis matched but you can always add two club chairs and it will look beautiful and for sure the darker leather is better
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 8:07PM
Iza Eisemann
Your gray fabric looks better with the light brown leather, maybe because of less contrast. The lighter brown leather would also blend better with the other warm colors in the room. You can order a couple of pillows in leather to throw on your fabric sectional
1 Like   March 17, 2013 at 8:11PM
Aegean Designing Whims
I'm agreeing with not adding another sofa, but to go for two dark brown chairs. I'd add coordinating pillows to the sofa, either in the dark brown, or a pattern with dark brown in them. Chrysteen
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 8:13PM
Iza Eisemann
Not sure if you have room for an extra sofa, but two chairs in leather would work, too.
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 8:13PM
nabaa
Here's where I was considering adding the couch, you Still think its better not to have a second sofa?
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 8:20PM
Sarah Bernardy Design
While two sofas in a large space is not a bad option you may have more flexibility and a better blend with your existing sofa if you go with a pair of chairs. If you really want a second sofa, consider a chaise lounge or a sofa that is not an exact match in style, but rather a blend of styles. Since you are already considering another material for the other piece this eclectic blend of styles may be the right option for you. You can always balance color by adding pillows to each piece that reflect the others color.
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 8:31PM
Kevin Retired Decorator
I think 2 sofas in a room never works unless they are matching ones. You could go with a one armed chaise with the arm against the wall might just work as mentioned by Sarah. I think the brick wall with 2 matching chairs with the dark leather & a table with a lamp on it between the chairs would be nice.
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 8:42PM
Iza Eisemann
Two oversize chairs would give you more flexibility (you could occasionally rearrange the sitting area and place them on both sides of your sectional) But I still think the sofa style you picked will look great in the room, against the brick wall. You may want to get a large area rug to tie the sectional and the sofa and to define the seating area. It will give you a chance to add an accent color to the room. Love your spacious room!
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 8:57PM
Granite Grannies
I think that will look great. I like the grey with the darker leather. Looks like a gorgeous room.
0 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 7:13AM
nabaa
Any additional input?

My main concern is how dark should the brown leather be to match it with my light grey fabric?

The grey is really light, is there any rule on what to match with it? I am afraid a very dark brown will create too much of a contrast. On the other hand I dont want to end up with two light sofas...

HELP!!!!!
1 Like   March 18, 2013 at 8:06AM
Jayme H.
I like that dark brown with the grey...Let me look for some example pics..and I agree with chairs vs. another sofa also..
0 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 8:10AM
Jayme H.
A few pics...Sorry the grey chair arm in the one pic is barely showing!! And one pic was wrong..no brown,sorry about that!
0 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 8:25AM
jdforney
In that space, another sofa totally would work. My former home was an industrial loft, with 2 huge brick walls, some concrete floors, some wood floors.

Have you considered another color for a leather sofa? This may sound crazy, but a white or ivory sofa would look pretty amazing in your space. I fear the dark brown will get lost against the brick (as our dark brown did in our loft). The dark brown looks nice next to the grey fabric, but in the photo you attached, the dark brown sofa's against a white brick wall. The medium brown would also get lost against the brick & the floors.

I also think that style of the 2nd sofa is too close to the same style as your existing grey sectional (that's beautiful, btw). Consider a different style, one that's arms are not as overwhelming, maybe that has one bench seat or tufted back, but still squared off. Dune makes great sofas that are very, very modern. Same with Roche & Bobois or B&B Italia. If those are out of your price range, Room & Board makes some good leather sofas that are in the $3000-5000 range.

If you still have trouble deciding, go into a good showroom armed with these photos & one of their sales people can help you decide on a color & style. Bring photos of your entire space & any tear sheets that speak to you. You could end up with something pretty amazing that you didn't see to begin with.
1 Like   March 18, 2013 at 8:41AM
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
I completely agree with Kevin Retired Decorator, go with two chairs instead of another sofa - the sectional and sofa are going to overwhelm the space -

then, with your chairs, I'd add a pop of colour, either going darker gray, or chocolate brown with hit of accent in a patterned toss cushion to tie in both sectional to chair...good luck.
0 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 8:46AM
nabaa
I completely understand everyone's comments regarding a second couch eating up my living room. But initially it was kind of my goal, as I feel my living room is too big !! (It
0 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 12:07PM
Iza Eisemann
A darker brown leather fabric will create too much of a contrast. I think your gray fabric and the lighter brown leather will work great. Go with your gut feeling.
1 Like   March 18, 2013 at 4:57PM
nabaa
Light brown leather and light grey fabric it is!!!
0 Likes   March 19, 2013 at 7:57AM
does dark brown tile floor go with a grey leather sofa?
I need to purchase a new leather sofa for my casual...
itzamelori
New dark brown leather sofa in an already brown room!! HELP!!
My husband just bought us a brand new dark brown leather...
sbjamesphotography
How to decorate with grey leather coaches and brown floors
I want to keep the room chick but comfy. What should...
chualybrea18
Grey sofa or brown sofa for our awesomely retro den?
It's dated but we LOVE it. We're thinking moose or...
Undergroundfor Tea
Sauce Eggplant Chandelier Challenge.
I have made a deal with the devil. Well, not the devil...
toatsmcgoats
Holy bathroom
I am moving into a condo. It is a rental so I am limited...
nadiagravely
How can I improve this staircase?
I have the weirdest staircase. The stairs leading up...
littlemy
Need help deciding kitchen paint color
Which color do you prefer for our kitchen?
Amy Theesfeld
rredpenn