Need advice for kitchen table and chairs re-do please!
nailgal
(I wrote another post about this a week or so ago, but now I have pictures.)

I just finished painting our oak kitchen cabinets white and now I need to do something about the kitchen table and chairs. (I know...the arches on upper cabs are dated.... :) ) I painted the table white last year (left the chairs brown) but it is a more creamy distressed white and doesn't look right with all this white in the kitchen now. It didn't seem to bother me before against the white bead board but now it does :) Anyhow, I sanded the oak table top down to bare wood and think I'm going to just stain it med dark and paint the rest of the table whiter white like the cabs. What should I do with the wood chairs? Paint them white and leave the seats (or re-stain them) or paint them all white? I thought about maybe a fun color but I want to leave the walls this green for now and I'm afraid of clashing. I like black pedestals and stained table top but I think the space is so small and the rest of the kitchen so white that it may just stand out too much. Eventually I will have hardwood floors, but no time soon.

I would love ideas! Thank you!
jan74
I love your distressed look with the white paneling you have, so I would actually leave your table as is and match the chairs to the table, and change the upholstery in the chairs to something like a green leafy print.

I don't think it looks country, unless you mean French country - you have a bit of an eclectic mix of contemporary and French country going on, and I like it.
March 17, 2013 at 10:38PM     
hockey456
I like the table. If you can afford to change the chairs to something more contemporary, it would help freshen up the room. But if you want to keep those chairs and stay cost-effective get some clean-lined (no ruffles, etc) chair cushions in a contemporary fabric that has your green/blue colors of the backsplash.
March 17, 2013 at 11:02PM   
jiangmeidesign
I think there's too much white. I would make the table distressed black.
June 9, 2014 at 8:31AM     
Jacob Roig
My thoughts go to breaking up the pattern/color table: white border under the table top on the sideboard part of the top, white paint on the middle section of the tables main column, chairs with white at legs, arm support (not arm rest) and the back arch and poles, nice broken patterns with a touch of class. Good luck!
June 9, 2014 at 8:41AM   
gem6650
Build an L-shaped banquette with cushions that combine the white and green with another color and do the chairs in a similar color as walls. Maybe even a distressed green.
June 9, 2014 at 11:26AM     
Maureen
And.. another opinion: you could leave the chairs as is. They take a lot of wear and tear and it will save having to touching them up every so often. Paint the walls and table a very soft blue that matches your lovely backsplash. You could even sand the table's edges a bit to make it look distressed (see chairs in photo). Change your art to something with blues and lower.
June 9, 2014 at 11:50AM     
Paint the table black. And get new chairs. High back leather from Pier One, in red. If not in budget. Paint chairs a cherry red. Use colors in yr picture as guide.
June 10, 2014 at 11:21AM   
Lower pic about 5"
June 10, 2014 at 11:21AM     
Chandelier is too high. Should be 36" from top of table. I would get a new more unique light. That one looks dated in the brass.
June 10, 2014 at 11:22AM   
Or don't use a chandelier. but put in track lights in brush nickel. For a more updated look. Then you can move table so it's not so pushed In to corner. Center in room more. Then add a round area rug 7 ft may work. Go a color that has a print like color in walls.
June 10, 2014 at 11:25AM   
Add roman shades to window. Or change out valance to a color, darker than wall color. Same tone.
June 10, 2014 at 11:26AM     
edithsmom
I like Nancy's idea of changing the valance to a solid color. Also, not sure what color your counters are, but aren't they black? The table base could be black and the top stained or painted the color of your backsplash(teal,blue). You've painted your walls my favorite color...to me it is perfect for a kitchen as it reminds me of lettuce leaves. You have done a great job on your kitchen and would not be concerned because of the arch on your cabinet doors...who really cares?
June 11, 2014 at 8:26AM   
mfwolfe
I think the chandy and the kitchen fixture work together very well. I agree about all the white white. Maybe do the table and chairs in colors from the art?
June 11, 2014 at 8:34AM   
nailgal
Hi! Well, a little while back I went and sanded the table top back to wood, stained it, and did a couple coats of Polycrylic. What do you think? The chairs are a pain tho...all white and now getting all scuffed up. Maybe I'll have to formally distress those! Kinda wished I had left them wood, tho they aren't oak and were a slightly different color. The light above is actually brushed nickle, not brass, and it's exactly 36.5 inches from the bottom of it to the top of the table. Guess that's ok. Took all valances down, and still need some wood shades. Still no hardwood floors...but I've got a nice Bocce court going in in the backyard as I type. Guess my priorities (or hubbys) have changed for the moment :)
July 6, 2014 at 12:25PM   
johnu
I like what you've done with the table. Id probably paint the chairs a dark grey, they contrast with The table nicely and grey with work the green on the walls and probably wear better than white too.
July 6, 2014 at 1:03PM      Thanked by nailgal
toomanycats12
Hi, love what you did with the table and chairs! I think I'd add a colorful rug, chair cushions or pillows, and update the window and décor above the cabinets. Perhaps use red and more green for accent colors. Recently saw a very large canvas of bright red cherries that would look good on that wall next to the table. You've got talent and all these wonderful design helpers, so I'm sure it will be terrific when you've finished (and getting there is half the fun)!
July 6, 2014 at 1:20PM      Thanked by nailgal
nailgal
Johnu, I don't have much luck with grey....I painted the bathroom a light grey and it looks light blue. Then I painted the ugly oak vanity a dark graphite color (Anne Sloan chalk paint) which is DARK in the can, but it came out blue too. I changed the light bulbs to daylight ones, but they strobe and drive me nuts! Anyhow...got any good greys that you can recommend?
July 7, 2014 at 11:57PM   
nailgal
toomanycats12, never thought of a rug. How large should it be? The room is super small, and that nook thing is all there is for dining. (the whole house is only 1030 sq ft!) Cushions are a great idea :)
July 8, 2014 at 12:02AM   
Kitchen need to re-do it with not to much money . Please help :()
I need to make this dark old kitchen have a update....
need advice for bedroom re-do
what is the opinion of the professionals - carpet or...
Need advice on re-doing my master bath
High ceiling has me scared - I don't like the wallpaper...
Continuation of family room re-do and need color addition advice
originally posted about the entertainment center overpowering...
Living room in need of makeover, please help!
I am open to any suggestions. This room needs a change!...
HOW TO FINISH MY KITCHEN WINDOW - WOOD OR TILE
Not sure that I put my advice question in the right...
Different sofa and love seat
I have to use a green/brown traditional love seat and...
Declutter Challenge! - August 2014
I don't know about you, but I have several areas in...
LANDSCAPE HELP! CLEAN SLATE! Zone 7, Southwest MO
Hello! I could use some serious advice on what to...