Olld 3/18
mpoulsom
March 18, 2013 in Other
Well an early good morning or evening to ya! And a happy belated st. pat day...i probably have missed a lot this weekend. So what problems are we to solve this monday?
astraea
Good morning MP! Here I am, caught up & ready to go. Got errands to run, before the weather get ugly later. Can't wait to see how many inches of "flurries" we get tonight!

I'd like a problem that really IS a problem, that the homeowner has already thought about themselves! I don't want to just "pick a color".
3 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 3:42AM
mpoulsom
I heard there was snow there! that is crazy! It was like 78 sat and sunday here. Very windy but spectactular! I got some trim painting down around the house and got to enjoy the beach porch yesterday and last night! Me and pups. Stained the bench out on the patio as well. I got SOME things accomplished. Didn't clean like I was supposed to...oops
1 Like   March 18, 2013 at 3:51AM
mpoulsom
It really IS hard to pick a paint color for someone else's house. A specific color anyway.
1 Like   March 18, 2013 at 3:52AM
astraea
If someone posts a photo of their room, and gives 2 or 3 samples, asking what goes best with what they already have, that makes sense. But to just show an empty room (or no photo), and ask what color to get, is a little ridiculous!
3 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 4:17AM
creeser
Good morning ladies!
It is hard to pick a color for someone, but you'd be surprised how many people have no idea what they like. It's odd for us, but I have a friend like that. She does scrapbooking, so I thought she had a sense of color combinations and creativeness. They did some remodeling and it was exhausting because she couldn't make the smallest design decision. We were talking colors and I asked her what does she like and she told me she didn't know. What was she supposed to like? She finally had someone come in and pick out the wall colors and the color of her new furniture. It was beige on beige on beige. There is absolutely no hint of any other color in the rooms. Walls, furniture and flooring are all the exact same color beige. It was the only thing she could understand as matching.
2 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 4:29AM
creeser
MP, we are covered, smothered and coated with pollen. Has everything started in the upstate yet? Thing is, the pines haven't even started so we don't have the 'yellow death' yet and it's already like this.
0 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 4:32AM
astraea
I do understand that we all tend to have one sense that's stronger than others; so one person may be more visual, while another is more auditory .. but to have no visual preferences at all?! I've been telling more & more posters to get out to the stores/showrooms & LOOK AROUND. See what's available, and what you're attracted to, as you walk around. Sit down on the chair, couch, stool; see how comfortable it is/isn't. Look at the price-tag, and find out about price levels based on fabric choice. I frankly think that the more effort a homeowner puts into selecting everything, the more ownership & pride/appreciation they have for it afterwards!
2 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 4:34AM
Dudes and Dudettes, I have a question for all. Is it me, or is Houzz getting boring? The dilemmas are all the same questions again and again - what color? backsplash? furniture arrangement? etc. ad nauseum.

Even the ideabooks are repetitive! It's my belief Houzz needs a shake-up. For me, I would like to see more reasonable DIY articles, more organizing ideabooks (does anyone remember the HGTV show Mission: Organization? I loved that show) and how many times have we seen Houzzers home pics with clutter and chaos in every room? When Becky did her "Get It Done" series, she got more comments than any other ideabook theme.

I don't have a home or a budget that allows a professional remodel of every room, and I think that's the case of most Houzzers, too. And where's the fun in that anyway? The fun is in watching the transformation (albeit slow transformation) of a room going from Yikes! to Wow! and doing at least some of the work yourself.

I don't know...I'm just bored with Houzz. What would you change?
5 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 4:36AM
creeser
Astraea, I totally agree! That's why I was so befuddled with this friend. I told her to treat it like a scrapbooking project and select one thing she liked and build from there. She told me she despised scrapbooking. I asked her why she did it even to the point of going away to scrapbooking weekends? She said because that's what you were 'supposed' to do. I gave up. I don't feel she's a unique case judging from posts on here.
2 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 4:46AM
creeser
Bobbi, I like your idea. There are so many grand rooms professionally designed within an inch of their lives. I can look and admire and pick out a detail I can translate to how I live, but few people that come on here actually live like that. I agree that we need more 'normal' rooms and articles on day-to-day living. I love it when I see creative and different uses for items. Sometimes things you'd never think to use in a particular way. There's a Pro that has a very high end salvage business that will post an item and ask houzzers how they would use that piece. I love what they come up with.
3 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 4:50AM
astraea
Bobbi – I totally feel the same way, and have been hinting at it quietly, here & on AARP! I think part of the problem is that so many of the articles are driven by renovating & decorating trends, and what the uber-rich can afford, or where remodels are done by families where one or both adults are “in the business” .. so it serves multiple purposes being featured on Houzz.

Creeser – I always thought the great thrill of growing up, was being entitled to & taking advantage of your own opinions & taste! The other day I saw a discussion about decorating a coffee table, and making sure all “the right pieces” were on it. My coffee table has a copy of “The Kiss” I got years ago at an estate sale, 3 coffee table books on the 2 towns in which I lived, and another on animals I love, and 2 carnival glass candy dishes I inherited. Every piece has meaning for me .. whether anyone else likes them or not!
2 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 5:06AM
creeser
Astraea, love those! You are so right about growing up and making your own choices. What I love is that everyone is so different and what works for the taste of one person, doesn't work appeal to the taste of another. Doesn't make it wrong in the least. Bringing in pieces that have sentimental value makes a house a home. I've got several pieces from my parents that were around when I was a child that they've put up in the barn loft and replaced with others. They aren't worth much, but they remind me of home and I love having them in my house. I really adore your carnival glass. My mother collects that and Depression glass.... and Hull and several others. I don't because she tells me it's all coming to me when she passes away so her collection will be my collection. I have a lot of blown glass pieces and milk glass. I struggled with how to display them without looking cluttered, but I never felt they weren't the "right" pieces like some of the posters would have.
1 Like   March 18, 2013 at 5:18AM
Astrea (I loved your restraint today )... hmmm
I also agree that many of the posters don't seem to even take the time to look up what already exists and as a decorator, it is very difficult to advise people on colour without knowing their likes, tastes, furnishings - even which direction their room faces and what they use it for. So much does play a part in the actual choice of colour - and patience!!!

I also agree with you about what you put in your own home. It needs to mean something to you. I love modern but I have always said am neither a minimalist nor a maximalist! Our home is filled with items that I can tell a story about each and every thing.

On the other side of the coin - there are some homes that I look at and despite my best intentions feel that the task is just overwhelming and might hurt the homeowner if I picked apart everything ... so I don't. So if we had more of that and watched an evolution of a build and it turned out horribly, I really would get depressed!
3 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 5:42AM
olldroo
Add me to the list too. I've got involved in this discussion http://www.houzz.com/discussions/396533 - Bobbi you threw a comment in but it is getting so hard. Of course I can't find a simple room like I'm after for the woman, everything is so grandiose.

There are many dilemmas that people just don't seem to check out ideas first, and I am really getting to the point of suggesting that, but I'm wondering just what ability some people have - and I'm not trying to be nasty there. Mp does magnificent paintings and I wouldn't know where to start so is decorating a room similar? It is hard to empathise when you can do something and I figure if people can't begin to understand the basics you need to answer a "what colour" question, then maybe they don't have a clue - or do they feel that to go with their gut feeling it won't be "right" or "in" and I think that is where Houzz is doing people's head in.

Creeser, I think you hit the nail on the head with your scrapbooking friend too - the examples given here are to uber decorated to within an inch of the room's life that people feel there are mandatory rules and if they can't apply them then all is lost. I've done a lot of scrapbooking and I do it for me and what I like and what I feel compliments the photos best. There is no right or wrong way. We had a shop nearby where the owner was a graphic designer and did beautiful layouts, designed everything, provided the right colour paper and accessories, set out the size of the photos needed, and people absolutely flocked to her - well all the ones with more money than sense. It got to the point to do a double page spread was costing around $50. I have 40 double pages in each of my albums - that just ain't gunna happen. One time I went to a scrapping day for the fun of it and was being quite creative in my own little way, but because it didn't fit the "image" I was getting turned up noses all day. Told them all they had totally lost the plot. They went out of business at the end of last year - can't imagine why.

I think the problem with a lot of idea books too is that the writers have to take their examples from Houzz photos, which severely restricts them. I know one time I suggested to one of the regulars - can't remember who now - that they take a room in it's opulent glory and break it into Stage 1/Stage 2/Stage 3 so that people could decorate to the degree they wanted and still have a nice room. She thought it a great idea but of course, you just wouldn't get those photos on Houzz.

So many dilemmas, there was one about a tiny little house, for example - the lady had done a lovely job of decorating her room and had a fabulous ginormous pelican over her fireplace. It was so over the top, it looked great, even one person commented how could something so wrong look so great. That's decorating, there is nothing wrong with the unexpected. Then a designer - a professional - chimes in put the whole thing down and suggested it go on another wall in a place blind Freddy could see it wouldn't fit!!!

Think it is time I went to bed, have an appointment with the vampire in the morning.
2 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 6:52AM
Funny, I've never scrapbooked anything in my life! However, I use scrapbook paper to decoupage. Doubt I spelled that right. Anyway, the other day I found a serving platter at the Goodwill that was the perfect size to put a lotion container and stuff on for the top of GB1 dresser. I tore up scrapbook paper and decoupaged it on and it's great. Even put a piece of the paper on the lotion container I got from the $1 store. Total cost was around $5! I took before and after pics and I'll ask R to load them to the computer so I can share them with you.

But, when I made my comment above, I wasn't really talking about the inability of people to decide on colors and furniture arrangment, although that it getting old too. I was talking more about Houzz not spreading its wings and delving into new topics. Making things more budget and average Houzzer friendly.
1 Like   March 18, 2013 at 7:23AM
Wouldn't it be fun and interesting to watch a room go from nothing to something, on a reasonable budget? Like a budget challenge makeover? I completely made over my front bathroom, including faucet, lighting, countertop, vanity and shower curtain for $170 plus some paint. I mean COMPLETELY! The only thing that didn't change was the floor.

This is the kind of thing I'd like to see done on Houzz. HOUZZ!!!! I challenge thee!
2 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 7:30AM
Oh! And before I get off my soapbox, I should say I truly empathize with people who ask color questions. I don't see color the same way other people do, so I have to ask color questions from time to time. But I do have a general idea, and I do know what I like, so at least I'm halfway out the gate!!!
1 Like   March 18, 2013 at 7:31AM
S. Thomas Kutch
Good morning ladies and gents........not much going on today........kind of laid up today, as I was on the leg too much this weekend and by last night it was screaming at me....ENOUGH ALREADY!

Astrea, I have to agree with your comments completely. Unfortunately, I see it as just an overall symptom of societal laziness...... Kids are taught how to use a calculator in school rather than learning how to add, subtract and divide. They are taught how to input parameters instead of graphing a trend..........in essence we've dumbed down the educational experience in favor of technology aided quickness.......... How many times have you been stuck at a cash register at some fast food place, because the system was down and the attendant hadn't a clue what change to give you without the machine telling them . I experienced another one of those episodes just this weekend, where a shift manager actually had to pull out a calculator to figure out what change I was due from a $10 bill I gave them for an order that totaled $5.92...........she insisted it was $3.08 and even stuck the calculator in my face to show me the answer...........I then took a few minutes to explain the principal of "garbage in, garbage out" and that she was apparently hitting a "6" instead of the "5" key with her fingernails.......the manager then got involved and actually sided with the shift manager about the change due...........I just shook my head and asked if they had been hired under the "American's with no abilities act" and asked for my $10 bill back and to cancel my order. The manager said there was no reason to make a racial comment like I did...........????? I took my money and told the manger he was right, I was a bigot........ I have no patience for ignorant people. I then grabbed a place mat and showed him on the back with a big fat Sharpie, that $10 - $5.92 = $4.08. They little girl on the register, who started the whole thing, actually asked where I learned to do that?

For all the "smart" we have at our finger tips...........we have allowed our skills of communicating, decision making, investigating, experimenting and just plain figuring it out for ourselves with common sense and personal choices to be dictated into a state of paralysis by read outs, computer screens and "mob mentality" in the name of expedience and group acceptance.

You're right though about Houzz, becoming boring..........just about every posting is the same thing over and over......."what color", "what chair", "what drapes", "what backsplash"............it's the McDonald's drive thru mentality ....................
6 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 7:34AM
S. Thomas Kutch
so Bobbi.........if you know what color you like, if you have some idea..........why does it matter what someone who has never been in your house........will probably never be in your house and hasn't a clue about what you like or don't like, or what you're trying to achieve.........why does it matter what they think about your color selection?
1 Like   March 18, 2013 at 7:38AM
STK, I'd like to say that is unbelieable what you experienced at the fast food store, but it's not. How sad that were are raising a nation of math morons. I always felt I was a good speller, until Spellcheck anyway! I can tell you a funny story about how kids learn - I had very limited computer skills, so I took some Microsoft Office classes which included a typing class. I can type 92 wpm so I was allowed to skip that class. One of the young guys in the class beat my 92 - he copy/pasted the same paragraph six times so his score was way ahead of mine. Copy/paste. Very creative, don't you think?
1 Like   March 18, 2013 at 7:41AM
STK, it doesn't matter one whit to me what they think about my color selection! But I don't live here alone. Normally when I ask for color assistance it's to solve a dispute between BH and me. We are at opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to design and color. If it were left up to him, our home would be ultra-contemporary and done in nothing but gray and green. I've OVER gray and have never like green!!! My preferred style is cottage, so we've actually divvy'd up the rooms as to how to decorate them. Our house is so confused!
1 Like   March 18, 2013 at 7:45AM
I like the teenager's questions too! But I also like the monther/child dilemmas. EZ, you are easily the expert OLLD when it comes to universal design, you should def seek those dilemmas out. My fave's are the "I don't have any money, how can I fix this cheap" because babies, that's me!!!

Anyway, we will be working on projects all day today so I don't know how much time I'll have for my OLLD friends. Everyone have a brilliant day, and I will check in as often as I can!
2 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 8:05AM
S. Thomas Kutch
I would actually like to see Houzz come up with a category for "How do I do this or how to". I enjoy answering postings about actually construction issues, but having to hunt down those type posting through all the "color, rug, drapes" stuff is a waste of my time........
5 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 8:14AM
astraea
Creeser – I inherited quite a few carnival glass dishes from my grandmother & mother, then kept adding to the collection at garage sales. Then people got too savvy from “Antiques Road Show”, and the prices went up (LOL). They also started me collecting Nipon ware, and I’ve filled my china cabinet with that, and cut glass. I don’t particularly care what’s in, and frankly if I wait a couple of years, everything “out” now, will probably be “in” again! I also have a couple of Limoges art plates I love!

Roo – That “decorated to within an inch of their lives”, reminds me of the house hunting shows, where they evaluate the house based on the furnishings .. which don’t come with it! Who cares whether the sellers have good taste in furniture or not .. it’s going with them! I remember seeing one house that looked like a decorator’s showroom, but it wasn’t my style, and didn’t seem to fit the young couple & baby living there .. so maybe it was all staged!

Bobbi – I agree with you about needing new topics, or at least a twist on the way they’re presented. Like the pros & cons of driveway materials; asphalt, concrete, pavers, gravel, ???
2 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 8:23AM
mpoulsom
I'm baacckkkkk! Got cut off again. lol

so bob, what are you 2 crazy opposite kids tackling today? oh and bob, if they wanted to do a budget house they could speak to us on houzz for sure. You know me, I try to make "something" out of nothing. I still think the penny floor is a wonderful idea. Very cool looking.

Creesy, no pollen that I can see yet, but soon. Yesterday when I woke up the bradford pears and the tulip tree were in full bloom across the street. Like it happened overnight! It is the polar opposite today from yesterday. COLD and misty rain! I think it dropped like 20 degrees in one day. then supposedly warming up a little bit later this week? My jasmine is blooming like a mother out back and the tulips are about 6 inches out of the ground. not sure if they will bloom or not. I so hope so. Last year something weird happened and they didn't.

I stained my bench yesterday that is out on the patio. Speaking of making something out of nothing. It's an old porch swing that's sitting on a wrought iron coffee table base that was going to be tossed by a friend of mine. Not sure that I'm diggin the stain color out there in the garden, but with all the green coming up, I'm hoping it will look fun. I have also decided to do a big painting to hang on the fence behind it. I think I'm going to do a butterfly. I love them. AND saw my first one saturday morning. A tiny orange one.
0 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 8:25AM
mpoulsom
Ez, I don't even know if that would work either on here, unless it was just technical questions. Design wise I doubt it would because of all the variations. Know what I mean?

Boy, I cannot type worth a flip today!
0 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 11:03AM
creeser
Oh y'all, I got to see my grandson with an ultrasound this morning. Melted Granny's heart!

Got a question. I wondered this the other day and the paint color discussion brought it back to mind. Do you think everyone has a creative side? I always thought so, whether it's through design, writing, music, dance, art, cooking, gardening, ... just something... but everyone has one. Now I'm not so sure. What do you think?
4 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 11:09AM
mpoulsom
I want some of these for easter this year! Some place based out of Napa Valley I think.. Kollar Chocolates??? They are just beautiful. I would eat them very slowly!
2 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 11:10AM
creeser
Astraea, beautiful vase! I just adore the colors in carnival glass. Like melted jewels. I see some of the same type of colors in the raku pottery that Ez posted. Something else I like, but never started collecting.
0 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 11:12AM
creeser
MP, those chocolates are almost too pretty to eat. Almost.
4 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 11:12AM
creeser
Oh... my dessert of the day! Since our strawberries are in season right now, it's a strawberry shortcake. My SiL makes it like this and it is really, really good.
4 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 11:15AM
mpoulsom
Well creesy...I have a thought about that. You don't have to be considered a "creative" person just in the realm of art (which includes music, design, art, all the usual suspects).... if you are not "artsy fartsy", you can be creative in other ways. Like people who are so anal and organized etc for one example. They are creative too. So are scientists! I have always considered Engineers my favorite artists. They are soooo creative!
Do I think that everyone has the "Artsy Fartsy" gene. No. i do not, but creative in other ways that I am not for instance!
0 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 11:17AM
mpoulsom
It's that whole right brain, left brain thing creesy!
I want some strawberry short cake or something! And what were those huge pancakes you guys were yackin about previouly? I love pancakes and french toast! i think i could eat french toast every morning!

oh yea, what am i doing talking about french toast??? what about that grandson of yours? Can you tell anything yet? Is he going to be an artist? ;)
0 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 11:20AM
creeser
Well, that's what I feel too MP, that creativity just isn't expressed in art, but in other ways. However, do you think some people completely lack a creativity gene?
Those pancakes are pannekoeken. I think olldcan brought them up. Astraea commented on the different add ons and I had to go looking online for what they were. Don't they just wipe you out? I dreamed about them last night.
MP, he's adorable even in utero! Hard to tell looking at his brain, but I could sense he was an artistic genious. Grandmother thing. Oh... and he's all boy. Both techies in the last 2 ultrasounds have said there is absolutely no doubt with this little guy. His daddy is very proud. *L*
2 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 11:34AM
astraea
I do think that some people just aren't creative; don't know if it's a gene, or partially the way they were raised. They're the people who are happy to do the same repetitious job 5 days of the week for their entire career, without wanting a change, promotion or to enhance/modify the task. They're the kind of people who'd be happy to move into a furnished apartment or house, and never think about changing anything, unless it broke.
1 Like   March 18, 2013 at 12:03PM
mpoulsom
hahaha! on the daddy's so proud thing!

well, my father and one of my sisters has what I call the "tacky" gene. They cannot help it, but they have no sense of design or art or color.....but i would say they both love art etc and appreciate it. They just don't know how to do it or purchase it. All they care about is that they are comfortable. Saying that, though, my sister makes fairly good money and will spend a ton of money on items and will pick out the fugliest thing you have ever seen. Nothing matches, no plan. And on top of that, she will keep it forever. She had a couch one time that was disgusting when she bought it and she would NOT get rid of it. Many dogs and cats and husbands later still would not throw it away. The last time she moved it, I begged her to let us torch it and have a bonfire. i think my mom told me that she finally parted with it last year, but I think she actually wanted to donate it to goodwill or something. The dump was the only place for that thing. My dad is color blind, but is an art critic! pretty funny. He also has money, but shops at the thrift stores. He's frugal. He owns rental property and has been a realtor for years. He lives in a small ranch house that was probably built around the same time as mine. Of course it is fugly as well and he will not do anything about it. He actually told J that if he wanted to make a few bucks he could paint the trim on his house. I begged him to let me pick out the trim colors. He said to me, "you can, but I'll probably just paint it white again." I could make that house look 5000 times better if he'd let me. I have also begged him to let me deocrate his house and get it organized. He refuses to let me. His living room is hideous and he also uses it as an office. Do you know how much it kills me to go see him? I want to drag everything out onto the street and start over. He is a hoot though. he just laughs at me when i tell him how horrible it is...
2 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 12:07PM
Ok, 5 minute break. My union requires it. hehehe What are we doing......We are finishing staining the enormous freakin' fence in the backyard. Ran out of stain, natch. I am painting the trim in the front yard and I have discovered that standing on a ladder in soft dirt and mulch is not for me!!! Oh that's wobbly. I painted the two steps down to the backyard. Next we will power wash the sideyard and tomorrow we will paint it. Paint paint paint! Two coats on everything. Have to finish the outside before it rains on Wednesday.

I agree that many people are not creative, my mother doesn't own a creative bone. She can copy things well, though.

Ok, lunch and back to it! Ugh.....

Everyone have a super sparkly day!
3 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 12:10PM
mpoulsom
Astraea...I DO think it's a gene! My sister that has the tacky gene is only a year and a half younger than me, and we were raised side by side in the same decades and she cannot for the life of her put anything together. Nor buy a piece of furniture that doesn't scream tacky. It's the weirdest thing ever. And of course I'm speaking as if I have good taste...lol....but I think I do! My goodness, if I had money, it would gorgeous...everything that is! teehee
3 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 12:17PM
I agree with the stuff getting boring. Once in awhile you get a great poster who sincerely is looking for help. You share ideas and, lo and behold, you get a thank you for your time and effort. That doesn't happen often.

I would like to see some kind of a challenge directed at us that would be valuable to houzzers and valuable for us. too.. For instance, bobbi's Revere Pewter. What color scheme could each of us come up with to make that paint do its best? So, maybe, wall, trim and ceiling paint and then 2 accent colors?
I am struggling along with that myself right now and because I am drawn to certain shades, I tend to lean in that direction every time. That gets boring. I need fresh ideas for ordinary dilemmas.

Astraea's carnival glass…I bet each of us sees it so differently and might choose a color totally unexpected to accent her collection.

crees, what happened with the ear problem? When I described my daughter's work, I said ORL..otorhinolaryngology or ENT. (They are not to use ENT at the hospital as it is the equivalent of referring to an Orthopedic Surgeon as a bone doctor.)

Anyway, if your daughter isn't feeling any better, send me an SOS and I'll have DD ask one of the surgeons for additional suggestions (informing him that she is pregnant). She is invaluable because she has so many contacts. When I was so sick a few years ago and needed surgery, there were no docs around who could perform it. She found me one, with the help of a department head at the hospital, and I went to Brigham and Women's in Boston. The doc is only one in a handful in the country who can do it. It was great.
2 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 12:19PM
Well, not so great :>)
2 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 12:22PM
1 Like   March 18, 2013 at 12:41PM
WHAT???? MY Revere Pewter? hehehe
1 Like   March 18, 2013 at 12:42PM
creeser
judy, she is still the same. I told her to get in a good walk and try to 'sweat it out'. See if that helps any. If the rains hold off, she's going to try this afternoon. I hate to suggest too much more, she's getting ornery. I've never been one to tolerate ornery well. *L*
2 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 12:47PM
Thousands? Doubtful!!!
1 Like   March 18, 2013 at 12:49PM
nasmijati
I think it would be a good idea for Houzz to add more international information. ASV describes something that is common in Europe, but rarely seen in the USA. Roo wants something, but the item is not shipped to Australia. ...
5 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 12:56PM
ez, good idea.
0 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 1:15PM
astraea
I'd like to see more articles about how to customize tract/development housing, without the typical throwing-money-at it. How to get the most "bang for the buck". I like that show .. maybe they should go an article like that every couple of weeks. I also like the articles about useful novelties around the house .. that don't cost an arm & a leg. Articles about how long different appliances & materials should last today, so people can better decide if it's worth the investment for a high-end item.

Time to head out; another ugly evening in store! I hope it's not icy when I come home!
2 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 1:19PM
mpoulsom
dang judyg...that was a challenge!
1 Like   March 18, 2013 at 1:25PM
mpoulsom
hahaha judy! on the second. stop it! are you dipping into the bottle already?
1 Like   March 18, 2013 at 1:30PM
mpoulsom
I think I may have stepped over the edge...but I felt like I had to tell the truth.

And I just saw a post where someone had Revere Pewter on their walls...it looked like a taupe color, mushroomy. I had no idea. But then again I can never tell on this monitor and everybody's camera is different too.

I just thought of bob...saw an old desk that someone had adorned with a penny top. Did you guys see it? It was on houzz this week. AND they showed some cool wallpapers. I had seen some of them before, but not the stacked stone. Great idea on the cheap!
0 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 2:01PM
Yes, mp, just poured my drink. Supper easy tonight, as it is Irish boiled dinner leftovers, which is really my favorite.

How did you step over the edge?
0 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 2:05PM
mpoulsom
well it was one of those questions....that i don't feel is the problem in the room...argh
i tried to be as polite as i could be, but did suggest some other things...i should just keep my big mouth shutty! I just felt like I needed to say it. Do you know what I mean?
1 Like   March 18, 2013 at 2:09PM
Yup! Sometimes it just needs to be said.
0 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 2:35PM
busylady1
Creative genes, you either have them or you don't in my opinion. I don't have any technical genes! Had to listen to a telecommunications expert today, and he lost me after the first sentence. Why do some people feel the need to talk only in technical jargon! Maybe I should have said " Now I really need those ISDN2 lines to co-ordinate with the window blinds, and add a pop of colour over in the corner, and while you are about it, can you just move that data outlet 4 inches to the right so that It balances with the light switch on the left". I might just try that one of these days!

Just got back from dinner at a family run Sicilian restaurant tonight, great food. Had to battle through a blizzard to get there, but it was worth it! Could almost have imagined myself in the Med if it wasn't for the snow gusting against the windows.
3 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 3:31PM
mpoulsom
i am so jealous! i want some good italian foody! i won't be going out for dinner for a very long time! :( but hey, i have pasta at home! and grits and oatmeal and honey bunches of oats...somebody shoot me now!
2 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 3:46PM
Ok! So, today we.....painted the backyard fence; painted the two steps to the backyard; painted one more wall in Rocky's room; power washed the sideyard and got it ready for paint tomorrow; hung one new light; first coat of paint on the front trim; lost the special lightbulbs for the two new lights; accidentally painted the curtains in Rocky's room. Now I think I'll just die. And for dinner, I'll eat anything someone else wants to cook!
2 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 4:10PM
busylady1
Hi Bobbi, I am exhausted just reading this! I was looking forward to retirement, but I think it is easier to keep working!
3 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 4:20PM
Busylady, you are so right! Working was never this much work!
1 Like   March 18, 2013 at 4:27PM
mpoulsom
i'm probably going to be cut off again...lol...but we just had the coolest thunder storm..i hope that means warm air is coming back this way!
1 Like   March 18, 2013 at 4:54PM
mpoulsom
wow, bob, you guys are machines! i bet you;ll sleep tonight honey!
1 Like   March 18, 2013 at 4:56PM
olldcan
bobbi, pick supper from anywhere that offers delivery, gee whiz woman, that's one hell of a list!!!!
Must pace yourself, it's only Monday.

Hi everyone :)
2 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 5:39PM
mpoulsom
hey can!
1 Like   March 18, 2013 at 5:56PM
olldcan
mp, I like your idea of hanging a painting on the fence, good way to break it up. I put a bunch of mirrors on my shed door, now they reflect the purple lupines, it's much better.
1 Like   March 18, 2013 at 6:02PM
mpoulsom
a friend and i were talking about that the other day....mirrors used outside are awesome. I have some on the side of my garden shack as well. i don't think most people think of using them outdoors. I used to have an ornate mirror hanging on a large old pecan tree that was beside my deck at my last house. It was awesome! I have a mirror art project that I am going to start working on soon. I'll be excited to show it to you. Got some big pieces of mirror from the back of the chinese buffet restaurant after they remodeled. Yes, dumpster diving diva here!
3 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 6:07PM
MP, Cut up Perri sausages and brown with an onion, chopped,and a T olive oil. Add Pastene Kitchen Ready Tomatoes, a can of tomato paste, and the Pastene can full of water. Bring to a simmer. Cover the top of your sauce with dried basil and oregano and a shake or two of hot pepper flakes. Cover and simmer for at least an hour.

I guarantee a great sauce.

Or come to the Cape and I will make it for you.
2 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 6:08PM
olldcan
Dumpster Diva, are you? Well I'm the dumpster diving queen around here hahaha. I dove and picked, dragged and hauled, my entire greenhouse. Finding the building supplies was the easy part, the tough part was making it out of all the material I came across. The only thing I purchased was nails and screws.
1 Like   March 18, 2013 at 6:18PM
mpoulsom
sounds yum yum...............i had rice a roni and chicken breast tonight! lol
it filled the gut! i'm living off of starch at the moment. shredded wheat, peanut butter & jelly sammies on pumpernickel....i have to laugh about this.
and this woman gave me a free pass to go to the Curves here. I'm sure it's not my bag, but I thought I would at least see what it's all about. I have a feeling, the only exercise i will be getting is running out of the place!
1 Like   March 18, 2013 at 6:20PM
0 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 6:20PM
mpoulsom
my gosh i saw a watermelon at the store the other night and it was $9...for a small one. Not like the usual long honkers. I was like wow, i guess i haven't bought a watermelon in a long long time. I guess that's normal. I am outta touch sometimes.
0 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 6:25PM
olldcan
MP, the first pic os of my nasty bright blue 45 gallon rain barrel. Almost can't tell what it even is wrapped in a bamboo throw mat. The next one is of my greenhouse/potting shed made of dumpster dive and back alley finds. The third one is a close up of the windows, if you look through the pane you might be able to see I used old glass sliding doors to make the side walls, railway tie porch and a plywood floor. Now this is my shed, once a tool shack on a drilling rig. I keep my John Deer in here. I applied the mirrors with 2 sided carpet tape and used up some of the extra Cedar kicking around. That old metal headboard to the right, I pulled out of an abandoned farmyard. I have the foot board and side rails as well, both used as trellises now. The farmhouse had been gone for years just the root cellar and a few other obvious signs the property had once been someones homestead. I would have taken the old coal stove too, If I had an accomplice that day.
3 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 6:44PM
Don't do Curves. You get more of a work-out walking to your car.
0 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 7:14PM
Should have done a Nancy…didn't.
0 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 7:15PM
olldcan
Judy, I missed the whole NANCY thing and have no idea what you guys are referring to when you say NANCY. Please enlighten me, bracing myself now hahaha
0 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 7:19PM
nasmijati
Olldcan. Former First Lady Nancy Reagan, wife of former President Ronald Reagan had a campaign against drug abuse. The catch phrase was "Just Say No." When we OLLDs find ourselves involved in a Design Dilemma that has become unkind, we choose to say no and leave the conversation.
2 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 7:24PM
Oh, yeah…….
0 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 7:50PM
mpoulsom
i knew that about the Curves thing...i just knew it. i'm going to have to give that certificate thing away just to get that woman off my back...i just wanna hike and walk with crazy Dali. If I can ever get her to cooperate with the leash.....i'm just dragging her right now. She'll get the hang of it soon. She just wants to be the leader and in charge. In her blood. Poor Fooey. She rounds him up like a sheep in the pasture and when he tries to run away, she grabs him by the tail and pulls him. I've never seen anything like it.
0 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 8:16PM
busylady1
Hi Can, I want to come and live in your shed! It is lovely!
1 Like   March 18, 2013 at 10:54PM
Hi all, I'll open 3/19
0 Likes   March 19, 2013 at 2:17AM
creeser
MP, that $9 watermelon is probably a seedless one and from Florida. That's why it's high. Out of season and the seedless ones are higher. Once they are in season around here, you can get the honkin' big ones fresh from the patch for about $2.50.
1 Like   March 19, 2013 at 4:28AM
4m x 3.18m Media Room Ideas??
Hi guys, I've just started a clear up on my games room...
OLLD 6/18
Morning everyone! Am I first again today? Where is...
OLLD 5/18
Good morning OLLD's! And Happy Saturday to you! What's...
OLLD 4/18
Morning everyone! I hope we are all alive and kickin'! A...
OLLD 11/18
Woohoo-Its Monday and it is starting to get closer...
Arranging books by colour?
Who does it? I can't imagine my books organized randomly...
What the heck should I do with this basement?
I am stuck and don't know what to do with this basement....
Help in Entry
I gave an open, tall (25 ft ) entry with stairs going...
Cork floor in dry climate
Want to put floating cork floor in bedroom in Arizona...should...
Bohemian Blues
Having such a hard time finishing up my bedroom! #1...