Awkward windows above bed- need help

shaistagMarch 18, 2013
Hi

My master bedroom has awkward windows just above my bed. Want to redesign but don't know how. Anything can go, but prefer to keep the bed and base since it helps my back. Initially had imagined a contemporary look with a low upholstered headboard from wall to wall just under windows and to fairly minimalist low side tables but now it seems the space between bed and windows isn't big enough. Second option is just to cover them with big headboard. Ideas?
Tough! Could you wallpaper a horizontal strip along the wall that incorporates them. If you can't hide it decorate it! Make them a feature. Or add a gallery of framed paintings the same size as the windows in a horizontal line along the back wall
15 Likes    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 5:52AM
kah416
Wow is a toughie! I guess if it were my room, I would get a big awesome headboard and just cover over the windows. Can you switch your bed to the opposite wall? Sorry for not being any help! :) best wishes!
4 Likes    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 6:08AM
remywill
Hi there, I had the same thought as Kah416; buy or make a really nice fabric headboard which would cover the windows and add a nice touch to your room; there are lots of beautiful ideas on here for headboards.
5 Likes    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 6:17AM
cc
Hi - It would be super helpful if we could see all of the room - rather than just the problem area. Gives an idea of what space you have to work with. I agree with making them a feature but nothing worse than hitting your head on a window if you are sitting up reading a book at night.
5 Likes    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 6:19AM
remywill
Also you could do a temporary "fill" in the windows and do a great wallpaper over the entire wall.
    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 6:19AM
tennisanyone
Agree with Kah416, get a big headboard and cover it.
6 Likes    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 6:20AM
Interiors International, Inc.
You could cut 1/4" plywood into squares the same size as the windows. Then wrap those in batting, stretch fabric over them staple in the back. Hang them on the wall around the windows use velcro so they can be removed in the future. It makes a cool head board.
13 Likes    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 6:25AM
tennisanyone
Im not sure I would like a peeping tom looking in the windows. How low are they from the outside? I think I would just cover them up.
    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 6:33AM
barblt001
What about putting in stained glass inserts and surrounding them with more panels or tiles to create an original looking headboard?
12 Likes    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 6:39AM
Jayme H.
I am for a tall, upholstered headboard, it would look better.
4 Likes    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 6:43AM
inabunker
I'm stumped. If I had the money, I would remove them and put a window up way higher so you could have a headboard. Obviously that would cost a few bucks. The only alternative is to just cover the windows with a headboard.
3 Likes    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 6:52AM
soberg
Randomest window placement I've seen in a while. Two feet higher and in a set of three or four they might have been nice. As it is, I can only think that the builder misread the plans!

If you have to have your bed there, then an upholstered headboard with 100% coverage is a good solution. Any headboard partially covering windows would look like a mistake. It's unfortunate to lose the light, but the alternative would be to lean with your head against glass and that would be very uncomfortable.
3 Likes    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 6:53AM
What's on the wall facing the bed? Any chance the bed could face the windows?
1 Like    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 6:55AM
cc
Hi. Can I suggest something similar to my headboard? (of course different fabric). I DIYed it myself using board, batting, fabric, bolts and buttons. Took half the day and I think you could do something similar. Mine sits quite high so its a bit more dramatic than the standard headboard. And I apologize for the blurriness. I just took the photo just then to give you an idea.
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 7:00AM
kah416
Here's a couple ideas of headboards. The first two are at Pier 1. Although they may not be long or tall enough if you wanted to cover your windows. I guess you'd have to measure. The rest are Pottery Barn. They have nice ones too but they're kinda spendy! :-) Although they are great quality. The canopy bed is my fave :) My best to you! :)
http://www.potterybarn.com/products/antonia-canopy-bed/?pkey=e%7CHeadboard%7C104%7Cbest%7C0%7C1%7C24%7C%7C14&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-Sku_Top_Marketing_Rule%7CHeadboard-_-
    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 7:03AM
1 Like    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 7:06AM
nFORMAL design
Wow, that's an awkward dilemma! As a designer, it's hard just to say go ahead and cover them up with a headboard. I think there's other considerations to ponder over that some people's comments on here fail to address such as: What direction is that wall facing? Or who'd be able to see in there? Obviously, you don't want random people poking their heads in there from outside all the time, but if you just cover them up, the wall may look even more awkward. I think International Interiors was on the right track of trying to incorporate the windows into the headboard. If you don't want to completely remove them, you could infill the squares with a cutout that has something interesting adhered to the back that would be exposed to the outside like frosted plexi panels or glass block. This would at least create something that looks and feels like it was meant to be there when someone's looking at that wall from the outside. Good luck!
7 Likes    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 7:41AM
shaistag
Thanks for the ideas. It is tough. It is high outside and looks onto a passage fully walled in my yard so peeping toms are not too much of an issue. Photo attached. My sense is that they did misread the plans. Have attached photos from the bed looking back. The opposite wall has the door and an open plan bathroom (my other pet hate). I like the idea of making it a feature as suggested by interiors but just can't picture it- any pics even of something different which captures it would be appreciated.
    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 8:59AM
So there's no way you could fit your bed by the door entrance? Or even in the middle of the room, facing the windows - sometimes you can get away with a bed in the middle of a room? It just depends how you dress behind it (sofa table or console) and that you have enough space all round.
    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 9:02AM
soberg
I'd like to point out that the awkwardness of the windows isn't just related to the bed being in front of them. Those windows are way too low for their size regardless of what goes near them - chair, dresser bookcase. They're too small and low for a seated person to look out comfortably. Given that the windows may never look right, I'd say just go ahead and put the headboard in front of them. Wish I could cover all my house's problem areas that easily. :-)
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 2:45PM
Elize
What about framing the window with curtains hung high and/or a headboard? Some examples:

Amagansett Beach Retreat · More Info

utopia projects · More Info

Bedroom 3 · More Info

Portfolio Photographs · More Info

And maybe these Ideabooks will help:
Ideabook: Beyond Windows: See How Drapery Can Enhance Your Bed · See Ideabook

Ideabook: 7 Tips for Placing a Bed in Front of a Window · See Ideabook
11 Likes    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 3:03PM
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
Who was the idiotic builder there? Just cover with a headboard or like the pics show above. That is so bizarre.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 3:07PM
Just go headlong for an upholstered wall! Then do a free standing wall just like it that blocks the view into the bath!
Lincoln Park West Master Bed A · More Info
International Style · More Info
3 Likes    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 3:48PM
jjandhk
leave the windows alone; and do the free standing wall as deco. suggests? Is there enough room for that?
    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 3:53PM
Coastal Home Design Studio
I am going with the team on this one. Cover it with an exquisite headboard, re-paint room with rich colors, install new custom drapes, add soft light lighting in key locations to strategically brighten up the room.
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 4:00PM
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
I did exactly this very same thing with sky lights on an angled loft space - you can put a narrow - long headboard underneath the windows - it'll look fine, you have to over compensate though by making the headboard longer.

Or, you could upholster around the windows - working them into the panels, by creating panel blocks - like the lincoln Park West Master Bed A, but making the panels exactly the same size as the window so they "fit" the blocks of panelling...
1 Like    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 4:06PM
audreygarber
Maybe mount larger squares a couple inches in front of the windows so it looks like they're backlit wall sconces. They could be wood, stone, acrylic...the more opaque the front piece is, the less ambient light. This is just an example of the setup.
10 Likes    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 6:09PM
andrea345
Why not work with a stained glass artist and comission some pieces made to measure? It's not yhat expensive when you work with someone just starting out.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 7:08PM
jjandhk
or frame them out as part of your headboard?
Bed 05935 · More Info
]
4 Likes    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 7:23PM
Kelly Wicks
we had the same problem in our living room. Had a really nice 9 ft picture window and then on another wall had a small bedroom type window. Really hard to decorate around. We ended up taking off the window trim, drywalling over the window so it's now a solid wall. On the outside, it still looks like a window with a shade pulled down. lol. Looks so much better inside and so easy to decorate now.
5 Likes    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 7:25PM
bygeorgi
Move your bed to another wall.......
    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 7:52PM
jg011011
I say embrace your windows! Even add more if your budget allows. I would add one or two more windows so they run the width of the bed, or make it one long one. Your bed looks quite high so I would lower it so that it sits below the windows. I never think its a good idea to hide or cover any natural light in a room.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 8:10PM
jg011011
If you try to much to hide it, you may end up drawing more attention to it.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 8:15PM
Maureen Randall
How about adding a beefy trim around the windows with woodwork, and adding a faux window in the middle with a mirror or something, I think that would look fantastic!
1 Like    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 8:20PM
Cheery Curtains
I will just put 2 galleries of framed paintings to hide them. Simple is the way.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 8:25PM
brody1313
Think I saw an upholstered headboard at TJ MAX or Marshalls......it would be worth a try...........good luck...
    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 8:42PM
johanna_fox2748
Can you move the bed to another wall? Seems like the windows give a lot of light. Then you can put up a neat headboard.
    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 9:08PM
annieooch
Moving the bed on another wall,and caddycorner aren't options frompictures. free standing wall with bed against, would cut room size drastically. So, headboard it. could go with modern frame with custom plastic opaque or filtered panels. During day be able to see light but not the windows. It would give a nice glow. back light the headboard, for a warm night glow. or covered headboard like above have shown and mentioned BUT, put mirrors on the back of headboard. ****slightly angled will toss any light up in room instead of blocked by headboard.you cant see them, and the would had light to the room. the headboard would be solid so you cant see the windows.
The panels can be made from either etched glass, or cheaper- plastic. they have beautiful designs that will hide the windows, but allow the light to be filtered.
The biggest step is starting, and then you'll see the design will begin to flow. Good Luck, and try anything!
    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 9:49PM
finowolf
Window will always look like a screw up......staple blackout liner around them to keep any light from bleeding through and fully cover them
1 Like    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 10:12PM
pollyannagal
Those little windows don't add anything positive to your room. Cover them up and add a big headboard. If the windows were higher or aligned properly with the bed then I would say make a feature of them, but they don't look good and you don't need them for light or the view so loose them. Anything else is a compromise.
    Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 2:43AM
pattiegoode
I initially thought of drapery, like Elize posted. Coronas are traditional bed treatments, too, and can add dramatic height to a room. Two new thoughts:
Firehouse · More Info

Bedroom · More Info
(if you could find folding screens you like, you could use one for a headboard and one as a divider to block the bathroom & mirror.

I assume there is a window on the 4th wall that is normal? lol How do you have it treated? Will you be changing it as well? Do you rent or own the property? I like your bed and the bathroom looks very luxurious!
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 3:10AM
pattiegoode
Took another look at your pictures & I see a rod & panel with grommets . You could consider repeating that behind your bed and again for a bathroom "door." Center the bed in the middle of the wall. If you post dimensions, I bet one of the talented people here will do a cyber-room plan for you!
1 Like    Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 3:15AM
Susan Bird
Do you own the home? Why not enlarge your windows to normal proportions? Then you may use it as a window headboard with beautiful drapes for decoration?
4 Likes    Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 3:22AM
pattiegoode
If you cover up the windows with drywall, Ikea's Malm would look great in your room:
Dyna - Portage Bay · More Info
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 3:38AM
Sarah Asher
I say embrace the windows. You could cut either 3 beautiful finished plywood squares the same size as the windows, stain them and mount them either side of the windows and one in the middle, all surrounded by one unifying wood frame; or do the same idea, but with 3 upholstered squares. This keeps the natural light and incorporates the windows in the 'headboard' design.
8 Likes    Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 4:03AM
rudyrs
I have two windows over my bed as well. I actually have the perfect bed for hiding them because it has a headboard that you hang a curtain from (www.wesleyallen.com). My bed is the "Chelsea" with canopy but only the canopy at the headboard--it is not shown in the examples so I am not sure if they still make it, but there are lots of other styles available. Since my windows are a southern exposure, I had blackout blinds installed to keep the heat out and keep the light from shining through (and I keep the blinds closed because they are hidden behind the curtains). I have had my Wesley Allen bed for over 10 years and it is great. They come in all kinds of finishes and styles. Plus they are made in the U.S.
If a new bed and blinds are not in your budget, consider cutting a piece of thick foam to sit in each window. Then hang a curtain rod high over the windows (try a foot below the ceiling). You can then choose whatever fabric you want for your curtain and it will make a cute "headboard" for behind your bed.
    Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 4:17AM
handymam
Sarah Asher, I was thinking the same thing except maybe use mirrors.
    Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 4:31AM
STYLE it Interiors
If you have enough space, move your bed one metre from the windows. Make a large headboard for your bed. You can use the rere of the headboard for a dressing table to allow the natural light to flow to your dressing table.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 5:54AM
Evergraph
You've received a lot of great suggestions. Here's another--You could fill the space in the windows with custom Evergraphs. They're based on whatever photo image you choose so they're quite versatile.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 6:57PM
kangrrl
I think tall curtains hung from just beneath the ceiling would look lovely. You could still use a low headboard. Use two decorative panels in front of sheers so you still get some light from the windows.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 7:53PM
Jillian Staton
I think your windows are great! I think you should make a feature of them.
Their shape and placement suggests 'Japanese' to me.
I would go strong colours e.g. reds and blacks with a decent amount of the earthy colour you have in your bathroom to tie it all in together.
If your back could manage a futon, I would put one in the room, both to carry the Japanese theme and because it is lower beneath the windows.
Paint the window frames a glossy red or black (or whatever colour you decide to put in the room).
Make 2 picture frames in the same dimensions and style as the windows to put immediately above the 2 windows. Fill them with Japanese pictures/ fabric/ gesiha dolls/ artefacts or perhaps a couple of mirrors.
Alternatively, cover the windows and picture frames with an opaque film and/or rice paper to mimic the idea of a japanese screen. 4 linked pictures (eg cherry tree branches) beneath the rice paper could look fantastic (like a tryptic).
Finally, hang a kimono hanging on the opposite wall.
I have created an idea book called Discussion with a few pictures from Houzz to give you some ideas. Not sure if you can access it.
Good luck :) I think the room could be fabulous.
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 2:33AM
Sarah Van Assche Interiors
Hang a drapery rod at the same height as the rods on the large window wall. Cover up the two small windows entirely with a pair of drapery panels behind the bed. The panels should be blackout lined so the light does not come through the small windows.
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 7:40AM
Karen Pittenger
First, I would get a nice headboard and turn the bed around to face out the windows, foot of bed against the wall below them. Then I would hang two curtains from either the ceiling near the top of the wall or the wall at ceiling height, that are each only as wide (or slightly wider than) the windows, and the fabric would come down to either atop the foot of the bed or down behind it. Then you put mirrors or art or sconces to the left and right. The drapes can be dark or filter the light, and can be held aside with hardware or pulled up over the tops of the windows to your liking. Behind your headboard can be a bench, bookcase, chair, chest, or nothing. Best of luck!
    Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 7:51AM
curl
You have enough light coming into the room to the left of the bed. Optimally I would remove the windows. If that's not an option I would black the windows out so as not to get any light and cover with a large headboad. If you check out bedrooms on hauzz that are contemporary there is a beautiful wall done with fabric. Large rectangles covered with fabric and butt jointed with a frame around the perimeter. Nicely done in browns and beiges. Beautiful solution to your problem!
    Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 9:16AM
Shoman interiors LLC.
That is definetly an odd placement of windows. Here is what I would do.. Push them up and add one more window... like
3 Likes    Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 9:23AM
Photo Captures by Jeffery
Seeing as you may not be able to move the windows as already stated go with a nice head board that will just cover the windows.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 10:04AM
ajaubrey
If privacy is not an issue I would simply add (buy or have made) a square mirror the exact same size as the two windows and center it between the two windows.
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 10:23AM
martsof
saludos...desde el punto de vista del Feng Shui , las ventanas no deberan estar localizadas en la cabezera , esto es para evitar que la energia de la coronilla (cabeza )se disperce, y evite concretar ideas, proyectos. quiza ya hayan contemplado la idea de hacer los analisis anteriores a la decoracion tomando en cuenta esta maravillosa escuela de la distribucion de la energia para lograr la armonizacion del entorno con el ser humano.
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 10:46AM
godzillaatwork
Add a row of five shadow boxes above the windows, leave the windows just as they are and line up the 2nd and 3rd shadow boxes with the two windows below. It can be made all as a single piece with five divisions or 5 single boxes. Keep it simple to match the depth of the windows. Easy to install, doesn't require putting a hole in the wall for a new window, gives you more space for books or things you like to look at and can be removed easily if you move. I think they have lots of potential to look good and provide storage.
4 Likes    Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 10:47AM
cav9
I say embrace the odd and you will have the most unique room around. Keep it simple. You don't want to change the bed but if you can lower it without changing the effect on your back needs it could be super.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 11:50AM
didoworks
You can integrate the openings into a statement headboard as jjdesignkloos suggested. Use similar cutouts in the headboard large and small and have mirrored glass inserted into them but leave the ones at the window open to the natural light. This way you get to benefit from the natural light and the additional mirrors bounce light around the room and add interest. The headboard needn't be as heafty as the attached images but I hope you get the idea. Definitely build the freestanding partition wall using a similar design aesthetic with varying rectangles closed and open that allow for storage and limited views into the bathroom area. Choose the peek-a-boo areas wisely ;) Good Luck!
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 12:00PM
carvajal11
How about moulding around the windows, breadboard to the side with chair rail? I like the idea of covering as well.
    Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 12:04PM
trisha1f
Make a headboard of curtains. Hide such small windows for privacy. This will soften the room. Depending on your bed covering use the opposite for curtains in one of the same colors. Good luck.
    Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 12:20PM
Kim West
How about stained glass for each window? You could find them at an antique store, or salvage or have 2 small ones made to go with your decor. Also what about a futon type bed to showcase the windows?
1 Like    Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 12:36PM
fredmick
Have two long narrow Roman Blinds made, same height as big window, drop them down to top of windows move bed a little forward and add open frett work or iron head board. Hang a series of three pictures down the middle space.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 12:50PM
ceesullivan
Could you have them removed and open up the wall for a larger window to be put in their place? If this is not an option, I might consider hanging long curtains/drapes from ceiling to floor with the option to open them for light.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 12:59PM
anitajoyce
I agree with you, the windows are very low and awkward!covering them with a nice headboard would do the trick. And you do have another nice regular window to the left, right?
1 Like    Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 2:22PM
soberg
Just realized....these windows probably are built in between studs and therefore do not have or require a header. If so, changes could be relatively simple...just a bit of carpentry, plus patching stucco outside and drywall inside. If you still want light and/or views (if only of sky), why not consider adding an extra window and moving all of them up about 2 feet or so? Obviously, you need to make sure the new location is correct and not awkward. Bottom edge about 5' above floor seems right and side-to-side centering is preferred.

Doing this could change a very difficult situation to a great feature. Example: http://www.geometricswindows.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Geometrics-Windows-Brochure.pdf
1 Like    Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 2:49PM
cmplaw
Cover the windows with mirror inserts - add more mirrors around them - makes the room look wide open and endless.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 2:53PM
shamo1
Use them to your advantage; Get a reasonably large frosted glass sheet and have it set proud of the wall by about 1" thereby having a nice diffused light with great accent piece. You may have to use some form of reflectors to push the light to where you want it. Good luck.
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 3:29PM
Strictly Professional Carpentry Inc.
Design a headboard that has some cool shutters built in so you can still use the natural light when you need it.
3 Likes    Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 8:31PM
JWinteriors
Custom bookshelf that goes to ceiling. Windows are the size of open shelves. Accessorize with books and objects...colored vases in cubbies with windows
5 Likes    Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 8:34PM
roktta
Decorate with art! paint a headboard taht incorporates the windows….
    Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 8:51PM
mega10
Please don't cover up the windows! Frame them as if they were pictures and then add other framed art around as a gallery, depending on your personal style.
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 6:22AM
Simpson Signature Homes
I would incorporate the windows into a custom clad headboard that continues up to the ceiling (it could actually contiinue onto the ceiling and down the opposite wall for a more dramatic look). I would just cut in the windows to make them belong in the heaboard. You could use a barnwood material for a rustic contemporary look or a more refined wood for a cleaner contemporary look! There are a few options coming to mind to treat the window (even though you wouldn't really have to)... You could have some custom iron inserts made to attach to the windows, or you could even leave windows blank and hang a large letter (your last name initial) in between but slightly higher than the windows. Good Luck!
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 6:57AM
floridadeck
I kinda like the windows. Could be a bit whimsical. How cool to wake up and pull up the shades and admire the weather. Could they be opened for fresh air?, Depends then on the shades then.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 10:47AM
jjandhk
Hi shaistag! lots of ideas coming at you....where are you at in your thinking?
1 Like    Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 11:03AM
shaistag
Hi! Still thinking through the main options. I am considering a frosted Perspex headboard as Shamir suggested but still need to research the look. Otherwise leaning towards covering up and wallpapering over and using A normal headboard, or doing a floor to ceiling upholstered headboard with matching wallpaper on the sides. An attracted by many of the more creative ideas but concerned that with my limited skills it could go very wrong- so tempted more by options that are easier to achieve. I also like the coronet idea, but hubby vetoed it :)
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 11:18AM
Design By Pisces
Hi you could frame them like picture frames , Then add more with some kind of scenery so that it looks like it is build into the design of the headboard .
3 Likes    Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 11:30AM
Vancouver General Contractors
If you do plan on covering the windows with drywall or the like. Please keep a few things in consideration. Some windows are poorly done, and there could be a chance of heat leakage as well as condensation. A prolonged time without checking could cause mildew growth. You should seal the window properly, then place insulation and then drywall it.
4 Likes    Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 11:45AM
jjandhk
thanks shaistag for the update! I'm just looking at it again; and I like your original idea of the contemporary look with low minimalist side tables. Could you build out the wall under the windows about 6 in.; and either leave it drywall; or face it with a dark wood. Add your side tables to that; and use the top like a shelf for decor, books, lamps, etc.; and even a vase or so in front of the windows.. Then your windows, shelf, headboard, side tables, and decor are all incorporated.
3 Likes    Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 12:00PM
Bonnie
What if you moved your bed so that the headboard was just about four feet or so from the edge where the bath begins and hang curtains behind the bed as shown here.... You could either use a sheer fabric as shown here or something more opaque for privacy. You would install the curtains so they hang from a ceiling rod. This would allow you to move your bed off the small window wall and you could then cover the windows with shades if you want or put a writing desk under the windows. The curtain behind the bed would help to divide the bedroom area from the bath.

Fisher Island · More Info
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 12:28PM
jjandhk
so here's a (very amateur!) sketch of what I was thinking:
4 Likes    Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 8:14PM
devanshi123
How about getting a low bed?. That way the windows will be higher than the head level.
The windows would provide good natural reading light.
Also try if you can break open the 2 windows and make it on long window instead.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 12:24AM
Sue Hershelman
Don't cover them. Frame each of them with a picture frame and then add pictures in similar frames around them to form a mock headboard.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 12:44AM
Holly Mayeux
I absolutely would cover them. They are useless and if you frame them you lose even more space. Many great suggestions for headboards curtains etc that will really give you a focal point and give you some "greatness" and style impact to your room...
1 Like    Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 9:38PM
Innovate Building Solutions
Using decorative glass blocks would be an easy way to maintain privacy and still get light in these mini windows without having to rework the openings (the glass blocks are available in 2" increments). There are either frosted glass blocks or ones with high privacy patterns.

Another option will be decorative glass windows. They can be quite stylish.

I'll include links to both below:

http://innovatebuildingsolutions.com/products/glass-block/colored-frosted-glass-blocks

http://innovatebuildingsolutions.com/products/glass-block/acrylic-block-egress-decorative-windows
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 12:13PM
Total Wallcovering
Eco Chic has some contemporary paper that you might like. Here is a pattern that would fit your room.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 1:22PM
usernamedebbie
Well a cheap trick I used was to have mirrors cut to fit, inserted them in the windows facing out and then just dry walled over the poorly placed window in my home. From the outside they looked "normal" as the mirrors reflected the sky and inside I then had a wall I could work with. You could also have mirrors cut the same size as the windows and create a grid of squares to make a feature/ crazy but might end up cool
1 Like    Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 3:08PM
nking43
I wonder if the room was ever a bathroom? I just saw something similar with the tub under the window, so the window height actually made sense.
    Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 2:04PM
ammorup15
Couldn't you put the bed on an angle and then dress up the windows with treatments ?
1 Like    Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 5:30AM
Good Grief.
    Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 5:41AM
traedante
Hi. Maybe position the bed horizontally so the windows would be at the bedside, not head of.
A nice shade or super narrow window shelf on each with a nice trim? Do you not like the light coming in or just where the windows are?
    Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 6:09AM
traedante
The glass block idea sounds wonderful!
    Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 6:10AM
nataliedna
I wouldn't cover it with the headboard.. Rather find a solution that makes this strange detail become a very particular and characteristic feature of your room.. Would you prefer to substitute with glass blocks or use it as book shelves or the shelves for the succulent or any other type of plant you love.. It is still my favorite solution to design a "canopy type of bed". There come a vast number of solutions :transparent tule curtains or a semi transparent Lino drapers
1 Like    Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 4:14AM
Eagledzines
I'd go with minimalist. Lay pillows flat. Use Maple with windows cut out. Espresso colored. Attach night stand to headboard.
4 Likes    Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 7:08AM
traedante
Do send a picture of your finished room!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 5:42PM
suzyscorner
It would be great if you could either post a pic of the entire other sides of the room or a drawing to show what you are working with! The open bathroom is not a hard fix really, you could close that in (from what I can see) without much issue! If you can't place the bed across from the windows (or another wall) then I like something like what eagledzines posted!...
    Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 6:31PM
nmclarke
Even though its nice to have as much natural light as possible I think you should either move the windows higher or just cover them up with a nice headboard.
    Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 7:40PM
joyful_lady
There are some stained glass windows that may be the size that might let you do something creative - allow light but not look so odd. If you Google stained glass windows you'll find numerous square examples at reasonable prices. Another thought is to just cover them with a larger headboard. What feels right to you?
    Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 7:57PM
Barb Wyckoff for JCP In Home Decorating
This is very interesting. Is the window size as small as they appear in this shot or o they go behind the bed.
    Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 8:24PM
slokar2
Unless the little windows are really adding a lot of light, I would cover with a tall padded headboard.
    Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 9:21PM
Ed
Shaistag, this is a very popular dilemma -- many people like to offer their ideas and help. :) Please post photos of your progress! :)
    Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 11:21PM
Cozy Casita
Scrolled all the way down to eagledzines before I saw "lay the pillows flat". The first thing that hit me was not that the windows looked so bad .. but that the pillows were in the way. Your bed and the wall will look completely different if you just make this one simple adjustment. Like Eagle's headboard design. I like the stained glass window idea too.
    Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 12:09AM
jccbaker
While you're considering the more expensive options, buy four edgeless plexiglass frames the same dimensions as the windows and put three on top, and one in the middle with pictures of whatever you like. That will at least give you something until you decide on the more expensive option. http://indigoframeandmat.com/Glass-Clip-Frame-53-5001.htm
    Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 12:49AM
Awkward tudor living room - need layout help!
Hello, we have a 1927 Tudor home. We are interested...
koko95
Need help with awkward livingroom space
I have this awkward spot in my livingroom between the...
kaymlee
Small awkward L-shaped living/dining space in need of design help!!
I have a small L-shaped dining/living space that I...
sjwalker23
Need help with large awkward unfinished bedroom space.
There are no windows, only doors. Do you think the...
volare1
Help with Awkward Living Room Layout!
Between the small space, windows & stairs location,...
stellaj1031
Please help
What color should i choose for the armchair if im going...
Ayesha Ah
Still struggling with design layout.
No one likes this plan with the L-shaped island because...
Julia Loeb
Final steps of a bedroom design development. Options-finalists.
There are many things that seem like a good idea at...
Vanguard development LA
Need help with kitchen/dining room colors
We bought a new house and moving end of May. The current...
Amy Wags
Need price for the tray
Hey guys, I saw this tray on West elm website and fell...
Enchante
Sponsored Products
Matthews Fan Company | Bianca Directional Ceiling Fan
$604.20 | YLighting
Bianca Directional Fan
Lightology
Bianca Directional Fan
Lightology
Matthews Fan Company | Diane Ceiling Fan
$378.25 | YLighting
Crosley Wall Phone - CR55-BC
$49.99 | Hayneedle
Tulip Armchair in Blue
$179.99 | Dot & Bo