Hi, I need advise for my living room decor.
pinecrest41
I would like it to look more professionally designed. Any tips?
tennisanyone
I like it but would take out the trunk with all the books.
5 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 6:18AM
Interiors International, Inc.
It really needs a bit of editing. There is too much clutter. Other than that it looks pretty good.
4 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 6:20AM
bevballew
You have done a very nice job but it is a bit too busy. You have to show pic of changes but I would first try to just remove the pillows with the lines in it and either the rug or the wrought iron hanging object. They are all beautiful so I would remove something and see what looks best. You need to remove one of the red vases next to the sofa. Groupings should be in odd numbers...three in this case. Move the wood stools about a foot from the coffee table. I do like the wrought iron objects a lot so I think the rug should be moved...maybe to a foyer somewhere nearby to pull the areas together.
1 Like   March 18, 2013 at 6:26AM
Jayme H.
Cool room...I would maybe find a new spot for the lovely trunk. The arrangement to the left of sofa, maybe remove a few objects..the tallest one would look good there. Nice room!
   March 18, 2013 at 6:34AM
0825sam
I do like your room. For me, the cluster of red pieces to the left of the couch seems like it could be removed. Perhaps you could replace it with a floor lamp. Here is a link to a search of floor lamps in eclectic living rooms. http://www.houzz.com/photos/eclectic/living/floor-lamp-
1 Like   March 18, 2013 at 6:34AM
pinecrest41
Thank you for the comments. I will work on it and send new pictures.
1 Like   March 18, 2013 at 6:36AM
Jayme H.
Also wonder if rug were turned the other way and the wooden stool chairs were where trunk now sits...
3 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 6:37AM
bevballew
I like the trunk but that is my opinion. Just makes it a bit different than the norm and makes it unique and gives it a nice flair, but it is your home so you will discover what you like best.
2 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 6:56AM
Jayme H.
I like the trunk too...wondering if it could stay in the same room ...
1 Like   March 18, 2013 at 6:57AM
Personally I like it as is.
It is modern but has a lot of interesting things for the eye to look at.
If I could: I would remove one of your cluster of Chinese red pots (I prefer three instead of four for balance); I would remove some of the books on the trunk and have just one or two. And your table lamp needs to be on a higher table; it is a bit lost in the corner.
4 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 7:13AM
Ann
I'd also move the trunk, hopefully somewhere in the same room or a nearby room. I'd also reduce the red vases to three - maybe the smallest one could move to the top of the trunk or coffee table. I'd reduce the number of book stacks and objects on both the coffee table and trunk. Once the trunk is moved, I'd try the wooden stools as Jayme described and as they are now and see which you prefer. So, I'd start with these easy changes and then see how it feels/looks.
   March 18, 2013 at 7:14AM
Ann
Yes, maybe you could just use one of the book stacks to raise the lamp a bit. The room is very nice - I don't think it will take many changes to take it from good to great.
2 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 7:18AM
pinecrest41
I agree the lamp should be higher. I will use the books good idea!!. I will remove all the books and keep one or two. The problem is my husband keeps bringing them back! Regarding the red vases, I would prefer a table here but have not found the right one, so I put the vases temporarily to fill the space. I will keep only three. I will work with the trunk but it is difficult to find another space for it. Thanks for all the helpful comments.
3 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 7:27AM
bevballew
I still think the lamp might look better with a black shade. I recommend on the coffee table a shiny bright red bowl with red balls of some style in it.
   March 18, 2013 at 12:04PM
bevballew
Oops wrong post. Sorry! I put the above info meant for another post.
   March 18, 2013 at 12:04PM
fashonista
I think you should take out the two wooden chairs and the trunk with the books on because it looks a bit cluttered at the moment
   March 18, 2013 at 12:11PM
Is there no view to appreciate outside those windows? I think it is all turned the wrong way. I like the rug and the two sofas, but the rest of it is just too disparate and I especially dislike the cluster of sticks and other random items gathered behind the lamp. Start by removing all but the sofas. rug, and wall treatment. Replace the ceiling fan with a dramatic drum chandelier and center the rug and sofas under it, so the drum hangs above a dramatic coffee table. An adjustable drum might be called for and you may need additional zebra and/or other animal skin themed rugs to layer Face the view if there is one and frame it by hanging the two lattice panels at each end of your curtain track. Replace the sheers with opulent silk panels (triple lined for sun protection) in a rich color that will stack behind the lattice panels when drawn open. Find a very long low console to go under your painting.
That's a start if you like it. Modern Organics Drum Pendant Periodic Table Lola Credenza by Lot 61
   March 18, 2013 at 1:22PM
nasmijati
Wow. decoenthusiaste had a LOT of ideas.

I wonder if you could put the short side of the trunk against the wall where the red vases are, to function as an end table for the sofa? It might look too heavy, or it might "ground" the grouping of furniture...
   March 18, 2013 at 1:59PM
DOWNS INTERIORS
I would omit chest with books. Less is more. Looks good though.
   March 18, 2013 at 2:04PM
nancywojo
HI,
I think a beautiful gold on the ceiling would change the look.
Red would be great on the pillows, move some of the baskets and elevate them on the trunk for a new look.
Hope it helps!!
Nancy WOJO
   March 18, 2013 at 2:06PM
Madeline
I really like this room. Please do not worry about it being more professionally designed because what you done has had such good results. I will say a few things, Take some of your books from your trunk and place them under your lamp to give it a higher profile. Then take the smallest of the four red items on the floor and place it on one of the pile of books on the coffee table for a punch of color in the center, as well as replacing one of the toss pillows on the couch with a slightly larger one in a texture in the same red/rust color. BTW what view is outside your windows? Have fun with your fine decorating.
5 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 2:23PM
nasmijati
I like Madeline's comments. :)
2 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 2:54PM
bevballew
Wow. Talk about changing the whole room. Personally I think you have done a great job. You have a bit too much stuff...the four red vases and something on the floor on the other side of the couch. I think the chest adds a special touch. Furthermore, you are living there and if you like it then I would keep it. Deco enthusiastic always has nice suggestions and it could look great but I like what you did. I would just move a few vases and other small items and the white pillows and show us what it looks like. It kind of reminds me of an asian/Ralph Lauren look. I would reduce the number of books on the chest.
   March 18, 2013 at 4:40PM
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
Trunk with books - take it out of the room.

Add another chair where that was.

I would add end tables on either side of the sofa with gorgeous table lamps - matching. The one you currently have is too small. love these vintage Foo Dog Lamps, or the 1950's brass table lamps.

For the side chair - get a round back for visual interest and to break up all the linear lines - also curved back nods to the curves in the zebra area rug.

Declutter of all the vases, bowls, sticks etc. remove everything until you have the furniture setting perfect, with end tables, and lamps, art - then fill blank spots thoughtfully with accessories.

Right now what your doing is filling the blank spots with clutter - and they need appropriate pieces of furniture - not accessories.

Your on the right track, you need more furniture pieces. end tables, and side chair - occasional chair in fabric (no more leather) Some items for you to consider - good luck...
1 Like   March 18, 2013 at 4:57PM
bevballew
You sure are good Marie with finding beautiful pieces. I will be posting when I need your help. These are stunning pieces! I still like the idea of the trunk. Just something different.
1 Like   March 18, 2013 at 5:05PM
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
Hi Bevballew - Marie here.
I actually scour the internet looking for pieces that will enhance what my clients / or you houzzers have already started.

Sometimes you just need to fill in the blanks - and that's what us professionals are for! thanks for the compliment...stay happy...
   March 18, 2013 at 5:11PM
bevballew
I'll be looking for you! I am the person who has the Frank Lloyd Wright student house.
   March 18, 2013 at 5:14PM
nasmijati
pinecrest41, what are your thoughts?
   March 19, 2013 at 7:41AM
pinecrest41
eztia, I moved the chest following your suggestion. It looks okey, until I find nice side tables.
12 Likes   March 19, 2013 at 8:11AM
jg011011
Way to much going on. It appears that you want your beautiful art work to be a focal point, but all of the clutter is taking away from it. Try choosing your favourite pieces and remove the rest.
   March 19, 2013 at 8:51AM
jg011011
Looks much better in the second image! You have a beautiful sofa set, couldn't really notice it in the first image but with less pillows it really looks gorgeous. I agree with Jayme Hobbs, it would be interesting to see the area rug placed the other way with those 2 great stools where the trunk was. Overall, a very beautiful room, great job!!!
4 Likes   March 19, 2013 at 8:59AM
butlera
Great job. The simple changes you have made (2nd image) have created the professional look you were seeking.
2 Likes   March 19, 2013 at 9:08AM
nasmijati
The changes you have made make a dramatic difference in the room. I like it! :)
2 Likes   March 19, 2013 at 9:10AM
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
Hi Pinecrest41, your getting there! Now look for those perfect set of table lamps
and, you still will need to declutter a bit - much better...
   March 19, 2013 at 9:12AM
Ann
VERY nice changes! I agree that the trunk works fine until you find end tables. As jg011011 suggested, I'd try changing the rug direction and moving the two stools where the trunk was, just to see which you prefer. I think the piece on the floor next to the trunk looks a little heavy. If you want something on the floor in that spot, I'd try the horse/rider? piece that is on the other side of the grouping. Overall, I think you are achieving just what you were after and it is looking fantastic!
1 Like   March 19, 2013 at 10:40AM
tennisanyone
Much better but I would still remove the trunk and the vase on the floor next to it and just leave the end table with the lamp. I would remove the other little end table and the animal on the floor too. Get two matching lamps and remove that other big flower on the opposite side of the couch. The windows are beautiful and I think all that stuff on the floor and end table take away from it.
   March 19, 2013 at 1:25PM
Lynne Forrestal
pinecrest41, Oh the changes you made makes a huge difference , great job.
   March 19, 2013 at 1:37PM
Jayme H.
Looking better! Good job!
1 Like   March 19, 2013 at 2:18PM
MyCraftWork, LLC
I really love the furniture, you just need a bigger and better rug to tie the whole decor together. http://www.mycraftwork.com/beni-ourain-azilal-rugs.html
Tao Bellamine.
   March 19, 2013 at 3:26PM
mmilos
Editing the accessories really helped! The room looks more balanced.
1 Like   March 19, 2013 at 3:33PM
You have a lot of accessories, and everyone is suggesting an edit. Why not divide them into warm and cool season, and store the off season ones while you enjoy the ones you've selected for the current season? That way you get to change them out twice a year and they will all be loved and enjoyed by you - just not all at once!
   March 19, 2013 at 3:50PM
Lightmotifs
I love the room. I'm a book person myself so I understand where your husband is coming from.
   March 19, 2013 at 4:13PM
insidet
without having read all of the above comments, my first response when looking at this room is to make a few rearrangements rather than only editing. I would move the white chair in the place of the two wooden ones, place the trunk with the books behind the white chair...it would make a lovely contrast there as well as opening up the side space so you are not 'boxed in' your seating arrangements. I would remove the metal art that stands alongside the large painting. I would reposition the rug so that it is off center, laying more heavily towards the open space (where the trunk once stood). It's design will not be competing with the finer details of the wooden chair, or lost underneath the coffee table. I would remove the heavy dark coffee table, replace it with something out of character to the rest of the room, maybe an acrylic? The curtains are noticeably unremarkeable, I would think about those, perhaps no curtains at all? Depending on your view, geography.
   March 19, 2013 at 4:45PM
insidet
I reviewed your second photo..the removal of excess pillows, and the vases on the floor are great improvements. I would choose one dramatic lighting fixture. Some of the examples above are exciting.
   March 19, 2013 at 4:52PM
mainstreetschool
Great changes! Not sure what the black object is at the end of trunk. Perhaps you could try one of the larger red items you had removed here. If you could find another lamp to match, at least same shade, or a pair of matching lamps, you will have that professional look! Great room. Love the wooden seats, and the simple black and white pillows.
   March 19, 2013 at 5:33PM
aniluap2
Looks much better but I would angle your zebra rug instead of having it so vertically. I will look more interesting on a slant...I did that with mine that I placed under my desk in my office
   March 19, 2013 at 5:45PM
aniluap2
I would also remove the dried flower in the corner and maybe put your red collection there. Great room, very eclectic and interesting
   March 19, 2013 at 5:47PM
latifeh
Try to move the two chairs to the back a bit then it will look large enough for your collectables
   March 19, 2013 at 5:57PM
nikitasmom
I love your place and that view looks fantastic. The changes have opened the space. The coffeetable flowers are so high and interupt the flow. Maybe try the black floorpiece to where the horses on the floor are.
   March 19, 2013 at 6:13PM
artpower
Hi, you already did a good job, but here are few more suggestions.
1. artwork should stand out by itself, two panels beside make artwork look crafty, remove panels and get artly sophisticated look.
2. remove lovely trunk , lamp
3. remove artificial flowers
4. move side table from the right to the left where trunk was, it's a good one, 'airy', unlike the trunk
5.remove books from the table, they don't bring anything to the composition of the room except color, they are flat as table itself
6. put beautiful sculptures from the floor on the table, if you want to put plants on the table choose the low hight plants
7. two sofas are sitting too close to each other, move the smaller one 3"-6" further out, that will add 'airyness' to the room
8. wooden chairs looks good when their sit together, but if you put one to the left of coffee table it will soften the corner

9.please, try. :) and make photo! thank you!
2 Likes   March 19, 2013 at 8:08PM
Help Decorate our Hot Chocolate Brown living room.
I need some help decorating my living space. We've...
Need Help Finalizing My Kitchen/Nook
Hi Houzz! I am moving into our new build home and...
Please help me with this space.
I don't want to cover the window and the rad needs...
color ideas for front door?
White house, dove gray shutters, estate gray roof....
Easily cleanable tiny narrow dark corridor
Hi any ideas on colours to lighten up this very narrow...