Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tstrong3

Colorful Dining Room and Bar

Lawn and Leaf
11 years ago
I paid an up and coming artist to paint my wall in my dining area which opens to the living area in a 1979 home. I love it and chose the colors myself. I do want the rooms to be colorful yet casual like my family. What if any color should I paint the rattan chairs and table. What fabric colors should I use on the seats? Also, I would love a bar makeover-any ideas?
Desperately seeking because I cant afford to mess up.

Comments (14)

• qam999
    11 years ago
    In a room, every article cannot be screaming for attention. Some must be background players to let the stars shine. It seems the very bold wall, chandelier and rug need a simple, quiet table with very clean lines. In other words, paint alone will not do the job. I'd sell table and chairs and find something modern, maybe in chrome and white or gray leather.
  • PRO
    Lawn and Leaf
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Any suggestions are welcome
  • rinked
    11 years ago
    Is the dining set a family antique? If not, try selling it and get a more fitting set, at least the chairs. (what are those with square backs I see in the right used for? try them?) Paint the smaller walls in one or two of those bright colors (f.e. raspberry and turquoise). Mark tape a part of an empty wall next to the bar (or somewhere else) and fix all your family pictures in them, remove the tape and enjoy the result. Upholster the barstools with a coralred (see painting) and remove the black top cabinet (can't see clearly what it looks like). Maybe build a soffit over the bar with a nice trim (tiki?) and light fixtures. I'd also remove the carpets and get a more uniform look with a floor you like (chalkwhite wood/laminate would look good with the colorful wall).
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    11 years ago
    I love the wall you had painted! I agree that the wall is your focal point and you cannot add many additional patterns. I am assuming you would like to stay at minimal cost, so I will go with that.

1) I would paint your walls a deeper gray, to match the gray in the art wall. The walls now seem a little washed out and do not match the gray in the art wall.

2) Recover your table chairs in a teal tweed.

3) Recover your bar chairs in a gray and teal stripe.

4) Cover the back of the barback in a metal backsplash application, somthing with shine and in either a gold tone or a gunmetal tone. Use the same to cover the insets of the front of the bar.

5) The bar should be set up as a bar. If you do not drink alcohol, that is fine....but set it up for beverages: colorful glasses to match your teal and pink and gray. maybe some colorful pitchers. Use the photos some where else.

6) Lastly, place a large elongated bowl in the center of your table with seasonal items or colorful rolled napkins.
  • PRO
    Lawn and Leaf
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    thank you thank you!
  • rinked
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    If you go, try going all the way! (some grey will prevent the room from bursting)
    Living Room · More Info

Quadrille, China Seas, Alan Campbell, Home Couture · More Info
  • rinked
    11 years ago
    And here's an ideabook and some pictures of murals/colorful walls/fabrics with more balanced/matching furniture and deco.
    https://www.houzz.com/magazine/14-ways-to-make-the-most-of-your-wallpaper-stsetivw-vs~417753
    "Dinner at Tiffany's" - urban i.d. · More Info

Wellington · More Info

Pueblo St Master Bedroom · More Info

Eclectic Dining Room · More Info

Eclectic Bedroom · More Info
  • PRO
    Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
    11 years ago
    Hi Lawn and Leaf, Marie here.

I agree with the majority consensus here - the wall painting is gorgeous - however, you have too many other things competing for attention - patterned carpet, ornate dining room suite, chandelier, etc.

I'd paint the dining room furniture white - high gloss white
    then choose your favorite colour in a solid pattern, 100% polyester fabric for durability for your dining chairs.

By adding more pattern of the same note - rinqreation's suggestion - you are asking for pattern overload - and not doing justice to the gorgeous painted wall.

I'd paint out the table and the bar area in high gloss white -
    replace the area rug to something more neutral - complimentary to the wall art.

If you changed out all your furnishings to high gloss white - very modern furniture - you might be able to keep the carpet...

Below is a room I designed overloading the room with bursts of colour - the trick is the scale patterns and colours to compliment, always reflecting back on the inspiration point - your painted wall. Good Luck!
  • User
    11 years ago
    Love your accent wall. Given that you have different types of wood in the room, with the bar, table and chairs, and it appears from what I can see, a console, I don't think I would paint the dining table and chairs as I think it would look like too great a contrast with the rest of the furniture. What I would do is try to bring the great colors of the wall pattern into the rest of the room. I would consider painting the room one of the colors in the accent wall. One color to consider would be the blue gray or blue green on the accent wall in a lighter shade. For the bar area, I think it could be lightened by using a wallpaper that has some of the lighter colors in the art, perhaps a light coral, as well as covering the bar chairs in a lighter corresponding color as well. The other thing I would consider doing is changing out the chandelier. Your current one blocks the view of the wall so one possibility would be a something like a globe chandelier that is more open visually. One example:

http://www.lampsplus.com/products/solaris-collection-6-light-modern-pendant-light__k4946.html
  • PRO
    A Crew of Two
    11 years ago
    I like the idea of the bright blue walls. A simple chandelier, a glass top dining table with dark gray or teal blue chairs. I don't mind the carpet, but maybe under the dining table a solid color area rug. This way the eye goes straight to the gorgeous wall. Is that wallpaper behind the glass shelves at the bar? I would paint the whole wall a cool, soft gray color. Some cool lighting to set the glass shelves off. Do you love the wood on the bar? If not, you could paint, but a cool fix could be some wallpaper in the center of the square panels. White or gray fabric on the bar stools. I like the idea of lots of white with just pops of color. But these may seem more feminine, so if you want to anchor the room a bit, dashes of black and gray would be cool.
    Orbis Tri: Mid-Century Modern Chandelier · More Info
    Dalton Shag Rug · More Info
    Ashbury Heights Victorian's Remodeled Kitchen · More Info
    Custom Built Home · More Info
    Sask Cres Kitchen · More Info
    Linden Hills Contemporary · More Info
    Rossetto Square Gray Dining Chairs - Set of 2 · More Info
    Metallic Leather Chesterfield Panel Wallpaper · More Info
  • PRO
    Lawn and Leaf
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I love all of these ideas! My family and I moved in 1 1/2 ago and have lots of needs for this house with a nill budget. So, I'm afraid the antler chandelier and carpet have to stay for now. I may switch out the kitchen table and $250 craigslist dining table to see how it feels. I love painted rattan which is why I bought it but it would look really cute in my kitchen! Im very eclectic and love color but dont want to look cheesy or overdone. I like simple and casual with a party cocktail of color for happiness. Oklahoma landscapers don't make much dinero. I have thought of the wallpaper in the squares of the bar-but it would have to stay casual. Maybe painting the barstools(they were cheap from Lowes-husband ws proud of himself) I love the feedback. You guys will go nuts when I upload my 1979 master bath. Its the kind of bath that deserves a tv show.
  • Sara Keppler
    9 years ago
    Can I mix 2 wallpaper patterns in the same room if the prints compliment eachother? ( trellis & floral) for example In my kitchen I have a faux wood panel border separated by wood paneled walls in my kitchen however the cabinets are redone and painted an off white cream. I hate the outdated faux wood and covered a few small walls with gray&white trellis wallpaper. I want a little more color. Would a floral wallpaper print coincide well?
  • rinked
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I think you can, but think it through carefully. A floral can be striking in small surfaces, so I'd opt for floral fabrics instead of paper. Or at least divide the two by a chair rail for a more classical look.

What about a color on trim and baseboards?

Note to Sara: you might get more and better responses by posting your question in a new dilemma.
Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022