Need some help with ideas for our new living room

hobbo80March 18, 2013
We're moving in here later this week and want to try and lighten up the living room. We quite like neutral colours, or maybe using the picture rail to break up different colours? We'd welcome any suggestions!
Debra Gunstanson
I would paint a lot wonderful fire place a rug and coffee table is it purple everywhere ?
    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 12:33PM
House of Fine Carpentry
I would add some lower paneling and then you could always put some art work in the middle of the boxes.
    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 12:35PM
Shoman interiors LLC.
First of all, do you like the wall paper in that room? are you planning to keep it?The fireplace look outdated with the rest of the crown molding. To upgrade the fireplace, easy fix is paint the mantel white. In my opinion, removing the wall paper and the white border going the house is a good idea. That white border makes the room look shorter. Instead you can add white wainscott throught out the room and if you have budget, I would spend it on the mantel, bring it all the way to the ceiling and place a nice tall mirror on it.
    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 12:44PM
House of Fine Carpentry
I agree a nice white mantle with either wall paneling or wainscoting would really finish the room
    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 12:58PM
hobbo80
Thanks for the suggestions. The wallpaper will be going! We're not too keen on the purple and want to give the room a lighter feel. Good suggestion about the fireplace.
    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 1:03PM
House of Fine Carpentry
You could also do some built in cabinetry on either side of the mantle as well.
    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 1:08PM
Amit Malhotra
I like your carpet
    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 1:09PM
Jayme H.
What color is your furniture
    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 1:14PM
hobbo80
Good point Jayme! We have dark brown leather sofas. We're hoping that the floorboards under the carpet will be in good condition.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 1:25PM
normalinda1
Try Sherwin-Williams 7529 Sand Beach. http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW7529/ It's a beautiful neutral color that looks amazing with dark brown leather sofas. It looks great with ours and lightens up the room. Get a sample and see how it looks at different times of the day. You can get it with primer included. You can then add color with other accessories obviously. Good luck!
    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 1:49PM
normalinda1
Here's another neutral that looks great with dark leather couches and lightens up a room. SW6198 Sensible Hue http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6198-sensible-hue/ The Sand Beach one might match too much with your carpet. Not sure. Have fun testing out colors.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 1:58PM
Jayme H.
Just pics of rooms
1 Like    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 2:39PM
Jayme H.
With all the nice light and ceiling height, white woodwork..u could easily do some color...or stay light..so many things would work.
    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 2:42PM
Valvorie Dunn
What are all the colors in the stain glass?
    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 2:55PM
Luciana
We haven't quite finished our living room, but I'm posting photos of our room with two different sets of furniture for inspiration. Also, a photo from our last house to show how we used the space in the second room (by the french doors).
Congrats on the place and good luck with your project!

living room · More Info

living room · More Info
3 Likes    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 3:20PM
Yes, the wallpaper needs to go, but it would be a big job to prepare that for paint once it has had wallcovering on it. Easier to start with a new wallcovering that is textural rather than patterned - I thought of grasscloth first but you may like something very traditional like the paintable anagylpta wallcoverings.

There are lots of textural options in paintable wallpaper, so layering on top of yours may be your best bet - then you will have textural contrast there, but all the walls below the rail will have the same color. See http://www.grahambrown.com/us/wallpaper-type/paintable-wallpaper For this era home, I would think the medium damask would be the most traditional if you don't go anaglypta, but you might like a more modern look like the elliot - that is my first choice if you want to nod to the past but bring it forward.

I suggest three colors to complete the room. With chocolate leather upholstery, and the gorgeous dark cherry mantle (which I would not paint) I would put a neutral buff tone on all the walls and all paintable wallpaper. You will need to test them to look good next to the wood mantle, and in your own light to find the right shade for this room. The interest will be there with the patterned paper, but subtle.

Here's where the real gorgeous aspects come in.

Paint the ceiling too, with just a tint of color. http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/seafoam It will pop against the white crown moulding. I would paint the top band between the lower trim (please don't remove!) in the palest aqua-blue, Something like http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/oceanair . It will feel like sky and make the whole room feel bigger because it will visually expand the ceiling "wider" I see this aqua tone in your stained glass transom windows.

These blue-green shades of blue from darkest peacock to lightest spa blues are classic with earth tones from sand to chocolate. They are a great foundation to a beautiful room. You can shop fabrics to see how many fabrics combine these tones with other shades successfully - find a beautiful fabric you love with some aqua and some camel tones in it and the color palette for your room will emerge from that.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 4:52PM
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
Best advice I can give you online for colour is to find your inspiration point - it can be a painting, toss cushion, or a piece of fabric. this inspiration should have your current furniture colours in it so it feels like it belongs in that room with those pieces.

pick your paint, and background choices around your inspiration point - works every time!
1 Like    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 5:00PM
Need some help with our living room!
We currently bought an apartment flat with four rooms....
cigdem79
Need help with some living room ideas low budget.
There is a picture of the before apartment that I was...
tabsta
Need Help with Our New Living Room
We just reconfigured our space by mounting the TV above...
Lucy Nazaretyan
Need help with our new Living Room Space..
*disclaimer* we moved in three days ago - don't judge...
chrissi79
Need Inspiration for our new living room
Hello creative minds! We are so excited in moving to...
EJ N37
Painting over the fireplace: is it too small?
Please help me decide! Should I find a bigger painting...
irenale
help with living room
Hi, I need some help with this room, what to I need...
Gillibeanz
Narrow bathroom vanity light?
Hi all! I only have about 10" to work with above...
eesmerelda
Low Shower Curb Design - Aging in place
I am planning a shower remodel for a second floor master...
homecrew
Help w/ wall color to go with slate floor & dark wood trim in sunroom
The walls are currently painted Benjamin Moore Sherwood...
lnmelon