What size area rug would be appropriate?
scarlet127
We are thinking about putting down an area rug in our kitchen under the table over the expanse of a tile floor. The room is 12 x 12 and the table is 3 x 6. Would an 8 x 10 rug overwhelm the room? Would a 7 x 9 be too small when pulling out chairs? Thanks for any input!
Susan Corry Design
Hi there. I worry that a 7x9 rug would be too short, since you want the chairs to remain on the rug even when they're fully pulled out. This means you need more than 18" on either end of the table, making the 9-foot length just a tad short. It's hard to say for sure if an 8x10 rug would work without seeing the room layout, but assuming you have the space for it, it should be fine. You may want to consider one of those nice indoor-outdoor rugs that are designed for easy maintenance. Ballard Designs has some nice ones like this:
March 18, 2013 at 5:01pm   
scarlet127
Thanks for your advice. I was thinking the smaller one would be too small, but I was worried that the 8 x 10 would cover a lot of the tile and overwhelm the room. I will take a look at the Ballard Designs!
Many thanks again!
March 18, 2013 at 5:21pm   
Susan Corry Design
Hi scarlet127, just so you know, there are many stores that sell great outdoor rugs, so if you don't see any you like at Ballard, let me know and I can send you some other links. One idea if you're worried about a rug overwhelming the space is to go for a neutral look, such as a sisal or jute-looking one. Those are neutral in color and sometimes come with brightly colored borders for a fun touch. I saw 1-2 of those like that at Ballard. Happy shopping!
March 18, 2013 at 5:25pm   
How do you make a rented space feel like home?
If you're not allowed to make any drastic changes,...
Need help with my kitchen
We just bought a 1925 Craftsman style bungalow. The...
Colourful photo frames - yay or nay?
Black, white or silver are your standard photo frame...
Feng Shui or just nice looking entry
Attached is current floorplan. We are opening up the...
Describe coastal in one word!
What springs to mind when you think of a coastal interior?...