What should I put above the couch?
elmckie
As you can see from all the patched holes I having a hard time filling this space!! I just put these mirrors behind the end tables to reflect the light from the windows across from them. What can I put in between them? The only thing with color currently in the room is the rug. Thanks!!!
Debra Gunstanson
Ikea has great shelves and also arrange them with pics Kirkland has wonderful pic and won't break the bank
0 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 2:04PM
0825sam
Try etsy for artwork.
4 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 2:07PM
Susan Corry Design
A large piece of art with colors from the rug would add some color and tie it into the rest of the room. The art doesn't even need to be framed -- you can get a canvas that's wrapped around a hidden frame so it won't fight with the mirrors (nice touch, by the way). I like abstracts since they work with all styles of interiors, but a landscape would also be lovely. If you're on a budget, giclees are quite affordable and lots of online stores sell nice-looking art (including Etsy as mentioned above). One key thing to remember when hanging: it you end up getting a framed piece, hang it high enough off the sofa so that people don't ht their heads (6" or so should be fine). Good luck!
2 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 2:11PM
elmckie
Thanks. I would like to do artwork but I'm not sure what size I need. Especially now
that the mirrors are there
0 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 2:14PM
What if you put a table behind the sofa, then the lamps on it and then a piece of art between? I like the mirrors, but you don't get a chance to see most of them, because of the lamps.
1 Like   March 18, 2013 at 2:18PM
Ed
3 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 2:18PM
elmckie
There isn't enough space for us to pull the couch in to the room for a table to go behind it. I thought it would look nice to have something up there Ed?
0 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 2:24PM
oneofeleven
Your room colours are all neutral so you could use the space to add some colour, preferably your favourite colour. I'd suggest you look through Houzz room photos and look for something that excites you or calms you or makes you smile. Your choice really! Your room is really nicely decorated . Perhaps a few pillows to punch up the space .
3 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 2:25PM
elmckie
Thanks! I have a stash of pillows but took them off the couch as I am open to any color suggestions or art. I am interested in size ideas.
0 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 2:27PM
Ed
Yea, elmckie, I agree with 1of11 to browse other living rooms, dining rooms, even bedrooms on Houzz for ideas -- you may be pleasantly surprised! :)
1 Like   March 18, 2013 at 2:28PM
elmckie
I have browsed and browsed and browsed! I just can't figure it out! I have spent way too much time in art.com, Ballard, etc and I just need my life back! :) And plus I never know what size will be right. Or I find one I like and it isn't available in a large enough size. I really like all styles of art.
0 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 2:40PM
tegroves
It's very matchy, matchy.......with the same end table lights, the matching sofas, the mirrors behind the lights.....have you thought about arranging the mirrors above the sofa? You could try them horizontally or vertically. If you could get your hands on another mirror and arrange 3 vertically behind the sofa it would look stunning. The mirrors are nice and have style....just not so symmetrically behind the lamps. Nice room..
0 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 2:56PM
elmckie
The end tables are actually different sizes, shapes and colors of wood but I get what your saying. Originally we hung them horizontally above the couch and it didn't seem to feel up the area enough. I would love to get my hands on another mirror. They were a lucky find at TJ MAXX
0 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 3:05PM
tegroves
Yeah cause I can completely visualize 3 behind the sofa...it would have the impact ur searching for in a piece of artwork.....maybe you could fabricate one?
0 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 3:15PM
elmckie
Could anyone tell me what size artwork I need here? The couch is 87 inches. Thanks!
Tegrove: I do like that idea but I would also love a little bit of color up there. There is no way I could make a matching one but I am good at searching online :)
0 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 3:35PM
jjandhk
large...80" x 40"
0 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 3:46PM
laslin
I would say large piece of art.....maybe 48x36 at least. I love the mirror idea you did!
0 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 3:51PM
elmckie
Thank Laslin! I shocked myself with that idea! :)
Thank you jjdesign!
0 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 3:59PM
nancywojo
Paint the walls a blue found in the rug..I like the mirrors and 2 lamps reflect more light back into the room..
Find a unique piece at a thrift store, not a square or rectangle.. Something you like, a sailboat, red bicyle parts, or round objects, because the mirrors are square and the sofas are rectangles and the table is square...Maybe stain the coffee table a red again from the rug.
Good Luck.
1 Like   March 18, 2013 at 4:03PM
Coastal Home Design Studio
Need to fill the couch with colorful pillows to spice up the room.......... Two picture options...........use a collage, or, a large picture....do not exceed the width of the couch, preferably 5-6" in on both sides, hold it off the top of the couch the same. Match to height of mirrors. Consider getting rid of the mirrors if it becomes to busy or problematic. They are not anchoring your room anyway.
0 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 4:08PM
Use butcher paper or brown paper to cut some sizes and tape them up. Maybe a piece that is 2/3 the height of the mirrors and 2/3 the width of your sofa would work.
3 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 4:35PM
oneofeleven
I'm sure we'd all be happy to go shopping with you if that was at all possible! The fact that you like all kinds of art is great, should make this job easier. I don;t know if this a possibility for you but in my area we have an art gallery where you can rent art by the month. Our main library also has this service. If you followed decoenthusiaste's advice you wouldn't have to change the nails around and could try different pieces of art. It doesn't have to be a picture, it could be a vinyl design or a sculptural piece.
Examples to follow :)
0 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 5:03PM
Susan Corry Design
Hi again, if your sofa is 87" wide, a good rule of thumb is artwork that is 2/3-3/4 of that width, which would be about 56"-66." In your case, since you already have the mirrors there, I'd aim on the smaller side to give some "white space" between all three elements. Once you've picked your art, I agree with everyone else that adding some fun pillows would complete the look!
1 Like   March 18, 2013 at 5:20PM
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
It's about finding the right sized piece of artwork - I suggest a long linear art piece - bringing in the colours of your area rug in a loose, almost abstract technique - creating tension between the very formal - traditional area rug.

As you can see it is very successful in both these renditions of your living room - then whatever colour you decide upon for your artwork - bring in accessories in toss cushions and lamps to compliment that arts colour - gorgeous!
1 Like   March 18, 2013 at 5:40PM
Debra Gunstanson
Do u have a Kirkland where you live great art and money left over
0 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 5:42PM
Shelley Sims/Thrive Design
I like the idea of art just a bit smaller in width than the sofa and smaller in height than the mirrors.
the additional pillows and lamps are great too.
1 Like   March 18, 2013 at 5:51PM
elmckie
Thanks you everyone! I love the ideas! I love what you did Marie- it's so nice to see what it will look like and know that it will work.
0 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 6:31PM
Debra Gunstanson
Why not ca collage of diff pics I'm not one That does anything in order I like to mix things up currently working on my own home .And like I said I make a lot of my own things all about saving and same time looking good
0 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 6:39PM
elmckie
Thoughts? I know I need more pillows.
1 Like   March 23, 2013 at 4:15PM
Interiors International, Inc.
A painting!
1 Like   March 23, 2013 at 4:16PM
elmckie
So no to the circle?
2 Likes   March 23, 2013 at 5:31PM
Holly Mayeux
@elmckie You really do need more color and you'll be happy when you do it... then yes, add more pillows that tie in with your art :) I would do one large piece since you already have panels. The piece you hung is really cool but maybe a bit dainty for what's going on elsewhere. Try Z Gallerie
1 Like   March 23, 2013 at 5:44PM
elmckie
Thanks. I'm having a hard time finding a large enough painting.
0 Likes   March 23, 2013 at 5:49PM
elmckie
Do you think I can do a framed painting? I've been looking for canvas.
0 Likes   March 23, 2013 at 5:51PM
Lkristine
These two examples are both quite large. It really is just a matter if you want to lean towards more traditional/transitional or go a little more modern. http://www.artinstituteshop.org/item.aspx?productID=4886 And here is the link for the more modern example. http://www.framedcanvasart.com/product/cool-water.html
1 Like   March 23, 2013 at 6:04PM
Holly Mayeux
Yes you can definitely do framed...
0 Likes   March 23, 2013 at 6:04PM
Debra Gunstanson
I like what holly sent u I dig wrought iron I don't know maybe give u an idea also sounds strange but I like clocks diff shapes and sizes all over the wall
0 Likes   March 23, 2013 at 6:41PM
Debra Gunstanson
I'm sorry a little diff my husband says ( crazy ):)
1 Like   March 23, 2013 at 6:42PM
Interiors International, Inc.
Absolutely NO to the circle!
2 Likes   March 23, 2013 at 7:03PM
the essentials inside
Hi elmckie & everyone! I don't usually come into a thread pushing my own stuff ;) but want to show you one of my favorites - it is 60"W x 30"H & colorful. Came to mind while I was reading the comments so thought you wouldn't mind me sharing.

I love what you did w/the mirrors. It looks great!

oneofeleven - rent art by the month. That's a great idea. I don't think I've ever heard of that.

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
2 Likes   March 23, 2013 at 7:22PM
karhufh
Buy another mirror and center all 3 over the sofa. They are too awesome to hide behind the lamps and will reflect your window light better.
0 Likes   March 23, 2013 at 8:33PM
brody1313
Have you tried a piece of iron work... between the mirrors.......will pull up the dark color of the sofa's onto the wall .....you have made good choices so far....it will come together....good luck
1 Like   March 23, 2013 at 8:50PM
Ann
Elmckie, I know you were looking for larger lamps a few weeks ago. The new ones you found look great!
1 Like   March 23, 2013 at 9:19PM
blatch4
I feel if you add more above your sofa, your wall will feel too heavy as you already have 2 large mirrors. I would hang the 2 mirrors horizontally one on top of the other above sofa.
0 Likes   March 23, 2013 at 9:23PM
vintagemamma
I would consider a 'collage' of more mirrors to reflect the light back into the room. Arrange a grouping of approx. 5 more - maybe start with an oval in the middle. Go looking at a discount store (like Homesense here in Canada or a TJ Maxx) for some different shapes and sizes (medium sized scale), pick up a few more than you'll need (if you can return the ones you won't keep), and arrange the shapes on the wall first using butcher paper cut to size, as suggested by another contributor. Keep the arrangement within the two you already have and it will look both electic and formal with the symetry you have already arranged. Don't be shy to paint all or just one of these new frames a pop of color -maybe pull a 'warm red' from your rug, then add some red accents for example.
0 Likes   March 23, 2013 at 9:32PM
tstarz
I actually like the circle. The mirrors remind me of windows. Everything is square and straight like in the room and the circle adds something new. If you don't mind me asking, where is the circle from?
0 Likes   March 23, 2013 at 11:18PM
tstarz
Hey, another idea. What about spray painting the circle a color that would tie it with the rug and get some pillows to match?
2 Likes   March 23, 2013 at 11:20PM
anifatou87
I suggest that you spray or paint your side tables and coffee table with white or pale color to give some brightness to the room. Also maybe bring the side mirrors to the middle horizontally and even add a nice touch like drawings in the little squares. And you could maybe add one or two pictures frames on each side. Good luck.
0 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 12:52AM
elmckie
I won't do a collage as the room adjacent to it has a collage of pictures of my kids. Also we have quite a few painted pieces already in the room. The circle is another home goods find and could easily be painted. Thank you for all the ideas. If anyone has more keep them coming! I want to finish this by next week.
0 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 7:54AM
Ann
Oh my gosh elmckie, it's looking great since all your work a few weeks back. The lamps, the tall piece in the corner next to the hallway, the window frame art over the new bench, etc. Great job! Did you end up putting the two pictures vertically over the dark chest (between the windows)? I also like the circle like someone else said a few posts ago. I was surprised that others weren't liking it. It would still be nice to see some of the rust from the rug in the pillows.
1 Like   March 24, 2013 at 8:40AM
vintagemamma
I like the circle pc. too. It's the right scale and curves 'imply movement' which keeps the eye moving. It's a great shape to the rest of the angles in the room, and ties in with your arched pc. in the corner. Looking very good!
1 Like   March 24, 2013 at 9:01AM
elmckie
! I put two horizontal pics of my kids above the black chest. Thank you so much for the compliments. I'm pretty happy with the room. I just feel it is missing something and I am sure it is some color.
0 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 1:14PM
What should I put above the couch?!
I'm thinking of putting an oversized mirror.. As it...
Alicia Morgan
What should I put above my couch??
Should I put a different mirror above or do some kind...
Maddy Montemayor
What should I put above the couch??
I'm having a difficult time decided what I should put...
Alicia Morgan
Help!! What should I put above the buffet?
Here are some photos of our newly painted dining room...
wallizgrl
What type Of artwork should I put above the mantle?
My living room redo is coming along fine thanks to...
Robert Sherman
Suggestions for backsplash, paint, windows
In the middle of a kitchen remodel. Counters are Caesarstone...
Michelle W
power generating for house and aqua farming green house wind/solor/to
i am looking for back up power for green house of about500...
rickeightball
This dining room is holding me hostage ...
... I can't walk by this room without stopping to stare...
towanda53
Hate my new granite!!! This whole process has been a nightmare :(
I'm really trying not to get so worked up about this,...
mhaber22
Kitchen update
Need color ideas for a granite countertop.
rdodil